As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Tips for selling 5000 comic books

SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2008 in Graphic Violence
I have a pretty large, 15000 book collection. And it's not really a collection; it's shit I've read since 3rd grade. And it's not 100% great (I've got an entire runs of Power Pack and New Warriors!)

I need to get rid of a bunch of it and I don't believe in book burning.

It's just, I'm not sure putting it on eBay is even worth the trouble. I culled through the collection and set aside about 5000 books (1/3 of my collection), and I don't expect to get much from a lot of it.

I've broken it down into about 75 "lots". Like, I have a bunch of Archie, but instead of selling Faculty Funnies and The New Archies as separate, it's all in one bundle. I put the Black Belt Hamsters with the Kung Fu Gophers, Jujitsu Kangaroos, and commando koalas along with an errant issue of Cerberus. I have a lot of issues of "The Viking Heroes", but I lumped them together in a "Fantasy" lot with some issues of Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and Dork Tower, among other things.

I figure I'd start all the auctions at $.99 and let it be known that shipping can be combined and all that. I also have a ton of boxes. There's so many books that I just can't spend the time grading them all. And while some have bags, others do not.

I have a ton of cardboard boxes and plan to ship them all out in them.

[size=+1]Have I done the right thing?[/size] Should I just be sending it all to Whippy? Are there any tips anyone can give me with selling huge lots of comic books on eBay? Should I even be selling them on eBay? Is there a better place I just don't know about? I'm not bringing it to the local store (yet).

Squashua on

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The best way to sell is in runs on eBay. I think 75 books combined might be a bit much, instead go for 30-40.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    50 sounds like a good round number to work with.

I currently have a 400 issue Superman lot that I was thinking of doing, but now I'm not sure how to break it apart properly, but I guess I'll have to (see spoiler for list b/c I could use advice on breaking it up).
    Adventures of Superman 502-504, 506-526, 528-539, 541-549, 551-595, 597-599, 601-610, 642-646
    Alpha Centurion 1
    Emperor Joker 1
    Lex 2000 1
    Metropolis S.C.U. 1
    Metropolis: Secret Files 1
    Nemesis: Lex Luthor 1-4
    President Luthor: Secret Files 1
    Smallville: The Comic 5
    Superman 80-81, 85-99, 101-118, 120-122, 125-149, 151-164, 167-169, 171-174, 176-188, 192, 221, 223, 224, Ann 5, 10
    Superman / Silver Banshee 1-2
    Superman / Toyman 1
    Superman Villains : Secret Files 1
    Superman: 80-Page Giant 1
    Superman: Action Comics 689-699, 701-705, 707-719, 721-740, 742-749, 751, 774, 776-782, 784-790, 792-796, 829, 840, Ann 5
    Superman: Earth Stealers TPB
    Superman: King of the World 1
    Superman: Man of Steel 24-29, 31-49, 51-53, 55-99, 101-111, 113-132, Ann 2
    Superman: Man of Tomorrow 1-15
    Superman: Our Worlds at War Secret Files 1
    Superman: Secret Files 2
    Superman: Y2K 1
    The Legacy of Superman 1

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Like I'm doing all the original run New Warriors (1-75) but I'm also throwing in a bunch of Nova, Night Thrasher, Justice, 2 issues of Darkhawk, an FF issue with the New Warriors (my only FF issue in the entire grouping), an issue of Ultra Girl, an X-Force crossover, and several Marvel Comics Presents issues that feature the New Warriors.

It comes out to about 100 issues. If that's too big a lot, what should I do? I don't think the oddities (Justice : Four Control) will sell on their own.

Squashua on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you've got a bunch of stuff you don't think you can ebay, try taking to Half-Price Books or some other media re-seller.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just give the age appropriate material away to charity then ebay the rest.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I would take it.
    I'm always looking for more random shit to add to my stack.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    also, Squashua anything awful you have I will buy.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you want the excel sheet, PM me your e-mails and I'll send it; make me an offer. It's all going to eBay by the end of the week.

This is the only post in which I'll discuss selling stuff here b/c I'm really not using this forum to sell stuff; I just want advice on selling SO MUCH stuff.

It is also the reason (in addition to potentially getting the thread locked - selling here is big no-no, I presume) why I'm not posting my list of items.

Once I do have it all though, I might do a link in my signature.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I started taking pictures and "rating quality" (they're all pretty good shape - I forgot I bagged after reading once back in the day). What's a good way to take pictures of 5000 comic books? I get a lot of glare from the overhead lights.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Give them all to me

BOW TO YOUR SENSEI

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ill take em!

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    squashua you did not respond to my offer I am hurt I really really really want those books.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    comicgeek77comicgeek77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i went through this the last time i moved. i just sold the books on ebay sorted into lots. some series (like new warriors, and the 80's namor series) i sold as complete runs. the rest i sorted out buy company and sold as mixed lots of 25 books with the starting bid set at ten bucks for all auctions. all in all i made about four hundred dollars profit selling about six hundred books.

comicgeek77 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How can you sell New Warriors!?! Er, the first 25. After that yeah sell away.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm selling the entire run of New Warriors; and Power Pack.

Squashua on
  • Options
    comicgeek77comicgeek77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    august wrote: »
    How can you sell New Warriors!?! Er, the first 25. After that yeah sell away.

i had to sell a ton of stuff some of which i really wanted to keep, but when you live in a small two story/two bedroom house having a dozen or so long boxes just takes up way too much space. especially when your fiance keeps complaining about the lack of room!

comicgeek77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Alright, I put it all up online (check my sig if you need to); it came out to about 1100 books so far with more to go.

I did fuck up though; somehow Turbo Lister screwed up all the international shipping buttons, so somehow I have to go and redo about 141 of them. :(

Squashua on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    damn, that is a lot of books and i want some of them. im looking at the Guy pack right now.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is the A. Bizarro series any good? I'm a sucker for anything bizarro, and I also wouldn't mind the Question series in the same pack.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Question series was some WEIRD thing that whasisface who does all the weird shit and "King Hell Press" wrote. (Edit Rick Veitch) Basically, The Question was re-interpreted into having acquired some sort of urban magician powers. Kind of like Jack Hawksmoor in Authority, except without all the ass-kicking ability. Question could essentially talk to conspiracy. It wasn't bad, but it made Question into a super-powered individual, which was wrong. Unfortunately, the ability didn't fit with anyone else.

It also incorporated a Rorschach-ian sense of justice, and an intelligent way to circumvent Superman, both of which I agreed with.

The A. Bizarro thing is very "Jimmy Olsen and the New Gods". It felt like a relaunch of the original Jimmy Olsen series, but with a new front man. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    why do you have completed mini-series labeled as TPBs?

edit: like Doctor Mid-Nite is labeled as "3 TPBs" when it's just the three issues.

Same with Act of God, Created Equal, League of Justice, and The Dark Side

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »

edit: like Doctor Mid-Nite is labeled as "3 TPBs" when it's just the three issues.

I consider issues to be anything that's stapled and a TPB to be anything that's glued.

If you have confusion, that's what the pictures are for.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    By the way, these two auctions are my favorites:

4 National Lampoon Magazines (Having a hard time giving this up)

and

Ninja Turtles Spoof/Homage Comics Lot which contains some books that you would have found included in your Secret Satan gift had I gotten you as a Santee, Keith.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Squashua wrote: »

I consider issues to be anything that's stapled and a TPB to be anything that's glued.

If you have confusion, that's what the pictures are for.

That's pretty misleading.

And also incorrect.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are you buying them? No? Then it won't matter.

Any criticism you add to anything is non-constructive.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    i bid on 8 auctions

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    i bid on 8 auctions

Daymmmm. See PM.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Nonetheless, you are a critical whiny baby.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So... I saw this thread on Slashdot and decided it'd be an interesting experiment to include the word "e-meter" on all of my ongoing auctions.

So far, one person asked me a question and I answered the question publicly here.

Squashua on