As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

• KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    This phone call thing just baffles me. I mean, some of the calls are fairly long... over a minute in some cases, iirc. So you guys would just sit there in silence for some random amount of time, not being able to do anything, and you assumed this was normal? What did you think was going on?

I'm not saying you guys are dumb or anything, it just surprises me that someone could go through several bosses without ever knowing what the purpose of that whole section was for before each boss fight.
    I'm amazed by this too. Did you guys think that it was like the worst load times ever or something? :lol:

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Beat the game at 3 in the morning last night... Awesome ending to an awesome game.

Now we need a god damn sequel. Damn you Suda and your Teasing.

Gino on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    This phone call thing just baffles me. I mean, some of the calls are fairly long... over a minute in some cases, iirc. So you guys would just sit there in silence for some random amount of time, not being able to do anything, and you assumed this was normal? What did you think was going on?

I'm not saying you guys are dumb or anything, it just surprises me that someone could go through several bosses without ever knowing what the purpose of that whole section was for before each boss fight.
    I'm amazed by this too. Did you guys think that it was like the worst load times ever or something? :lol:
    Pretty much yeah, i mean my Wiimotes speakers have been turned off since about 5 minutes after i hooked the Wii up on launch day, truth be told it never even occurred to me that it could be playing audio over it, and not realizing it was turned off.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • keroppileekeroppilee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Concerning battle for #1 Spoiler alert
    Does anyone else feel it was a copout to be saved by Shinobu? I mean it's cool and all but Travis basically lost that fight if not for the interference.

keroppilee on
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    keroppilee wrote: »
    Concerning battle for #1 Spoiler alert
    Does anyone else feel it was a copout to be saved by Shinobu? I mean it's cool and all but Travis basically lost that fight if not for the interference.
    Eh, it annoyed me at first; but at the end of her fight when Travis let her live I knew she would pop back up in the end. Except I thought she would kill him after hitting #1.

My Name Is Luke on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game needs a sequel. hopefully it will be a direct continuation of the story that opens up even more plot holes instead of closing them. Why? Because it's awesome, that's why.

Metalbourne on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, wait a sec.

ending spoilers
    Since that guy came in "challenging" travis to a fight, doesn't that mean he already killed shinobu? (Since travis didn't kill her, he just moved past her in the ranks, right?)

gunwarrior on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Hey, wait a sec.

ending spoilers
    Since that guy came in "challenging" travis to a fight, doesn't that mean he already killed shinobu? (Since travis didn't kill her, he just moved past her in the ranks, right?)

not necessarily..
    With the UAA, normally when you lose a match, it means you're dead. So maybe Shinobu quit the UAA. Or maybe she's thought to be dead since she lost the match with Travis by everyone else. I d'no.

slash000 on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The UAA doesn't exist. Certainly not to Henry at least.

bruin on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Hey, wait a sec.

ending spoilers

not necessarily..
    With the UAA, normally when you lose a match, it means you're dead. So maybe Shinobu quit the UAA. Or maybe she's thought to be dead since she lost the match with Travis by everyone else. I d'no.

But
    At the begining, after you kill Death Metal, Silvia tells Travis that theres no way out. Plus, theres nothing to say that the opponent has to die in order to win the fight. I mean look at bad girl saying she won right when travis gave up (yea, for like 1/2 a second). Also, Death Metal admited he lost after his hands were chopped off (it could have been him just saying he was about to lose...), Travis just finished him.
    bruin wrote: »
    But i'm talking about the Garcian look-alike who thinks it does.

gunwarrior on
    edited February 2008
    bruin wrote: »

Right
    It doesn't exist per se, because it's a sham. A sham to make money. But it's still a sham that sets people up in ranks to fight each other; even if the purpose of that is to make Silvia more money.

I doubt White Suit killed Shinobu. Probably she just stopped dealing with all of this UAA stuff; that's what I meant by "quit the UAA." Other people trying to work their way up the sham ranks probably assume that she's dead.

Also, gunwarrior:
    Good point. But still, Shinobu probably just ran off and quit her dealings with the UAA. One way or another, she's not in the ranking any more. That's what I'm supposing.

I'm guessing that it's like Travis said after the battle, that she'll go train for a few years.

slash000 on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm about to playthrough again on Bitter to tide me over until Brawl, maybe I'll try and get the Infinate Battery for MK 3 if I ever have enough patience to do side jobs.

The menial ones? Why bother? The assassination missions pay off a TON, unless you mean those too. I really loved the 100-person killathon by the bar down the street.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Juts got the game, enjoying it thus far. This may have been answered already, but 101 pages are imposing to look through. When I was storming the mansion of the 10th ranked assassin, Travis pulled out a cell phone, put it to his ear, and nothing happened. I could move at a slow walk, but couldn't put the cellphone away, pull out my lightsaber, or anything. I assume he was having a conversation with someone, but I heard no dialogue. The same thing happened in the stadium of the 9th ranked assassin. Is this a bug, or is something wrong with my copy of the game?

Ultarune on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ultarune wrote: »
    Juts got the game, enjoying it thus far. This may have been answered already, but 101 pages are imposing to look through. When I was storming the mansion of the 10th ranked assassin, Travis pulled out a cell phone, put it to his ear, and nothing happened. I could move at a slow walk, but couldn't put the cellphone away, pull out my lightsaber, or anything. I assume he was having a conversation with someone, but I heard no dialogue. The same thing happened in the stadium of the 9th ranked assassin. Is this a bug, or is something wrong with my copy of the game?

What you're seeing here is a bit with the Wiimote - if you turned the speaker on your controller off, you won't hear the phone call.

mrsnackroad on
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah, I have it set at the lowest volume, thanks for the help.

Ultarune on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Somebody change the thread title to "TURN YOUR WII REMOTE SPEAKER ON".

Daedalus on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Started new game plus and guess what?
    its still fun

earthwormadam on
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I had it off the first time it happened, and I wouldn't have known what the fuck was going on if I hadn't read about the phone calls in a review. And yeah, no home button usage during the call, lame. Playing it with subtitles now too.

I don't mind the speaker in other games normally but I turned it off cause someone was sleeping or something while I was trying to get in some SMG. I think I usually have it turned down to one notch above silent.

edit: also, playing the game super slowly, kind of getting trashed by Shinobu right now. I can whittle her down for a while but it takes forever and I end up dying. Is there a trick or do I just need to get better at combat?

Mashalot on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mashalot wrote: »
    edit: also, playing the game super slowly, kind of getting trashed by Shinobu right now. I can whittle her down for a while but it takes forever and I end up dying. Is there a trick or do I just need to get better at combat?

It's a bit of an endurance fight. She only has a few gaps in her offense and defense that let you safely attack and you also have to make sure you don't roll into a pillar dodging her attacks. When you get a chance to pull off a wrestling move, do it since it does much more damage than other stuff you do.

Fights against female, melee proficient opponents tend to take a longer time in the game.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really took my time with the game, but I could have taken longer. I think it took me about 40 hours to beat it. It should have taken me about 30-35, but there were several instances of blowing money on clothes when I should have saved it for the entry fee.

DouglasDanger on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really took my time with the game, but I could have taken longer. I think it took me about 40 hours to beat it. It should have taken me about 30-35, but there were several instances of blowing money on clothes when I should have saved it for the entry fee.

Holy shit, it only took me 15 hours. I didn't spend much time raising money or anything, just enough to pay for the next entry fee, and I didn't hunt down all the balls, but I still can't see how that would take another 25 hours.

elevature on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    elevature wrote: »

Holy shit, it only took me 15 hours. I didn't spend much time raising money or anything, just enough to pay for the next entry fee, and I didn't hunt down all the balls, but I still can't see how that would take another 25 hours.

I thought I did a lot of dicking around in the game (finding all the balls and whatnot) but It still took me just over 15 hours to beat. Then again after like 5 free fight missions I kinda said 'fuck it' on those and moved on to the next money making opportunity.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited February 2008
    I bought everything there was to buy and found every ball and it took me 15 and a half on my first run

bruin on
    edited February 2008
    Question:

Those of you who obtained everything in the game and did so in 15 hours, what difficulty were you playing on? Also, are you including obtaining all of the cards and stuff, or just the L-Balls and Treasures and Tshirts and Videos? Or only some of the above?

Also, did anyone ever manage to beat the "Don't get hit once" missions? Any of them? I never got through one, but I did give up after trying like 3 times (in my defense)

slash000 on
    edited February 2008
    I did the easiest difficulty on my first playthrough, and didn't search for all the cards. Did buy everything though, shirts, videos, workouts, etc.

bruin on
    edited February 2008
    OK, cool. I don't know how long it took me to get through the game; but I imagine playing on Mild or Bitter would cause you to take longer.

I didn't get every upgrade or item, not even close. I think I ended up around 10ish hours, give or take 2 hours.

slash000 on
    edited February 2008
    The basketball court free fight mission was the only one I actually beat.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited February 2008

Yeah, I nearly beat that one. then I gave up on it. I was going to try again later with more upgrades, but decided against it.

Get anything special for winning? Just a small wad of cash, huh?

slash000 on
    edited February 2008
    I don't remember how much but I recall it was small enough to make me think, "wow that was a shitty reward compared to how challenging it was." So I didn't bother with the rest of them.

I should have attempted one on bitter, just to get my ass handed to me.

Unearthly Stew on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Yeah, I nearly beat that one. then I gave up on it. I was going to try again later with more upgrades, but decided against it.

Get anything special for winning? Just a small wad of cash, huh?

Yeah, less than the normal assassination missions, at that.

I've beaten the basketball one, the school one, and the parking garage one, thus far. Most of the others I can make it a decent amount in before getting hit. It's much easier when you can go off to one area to prevent people from surrounding you and/or all the people are already spawned (school).

Also, I'm playing first time through, hardest difficulty available, and I've gotten everything so far, and unless the levels start getting longer, I might clock in at under 15 hours. I think that's because I went ahead and got everything while rank 8, though, so I benefited from the upgrades for longer.

Jragghen on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Goddamn, another PAL delay. Euroscum such as myself have to wait 'til 7/3 (or 3/7 for you yanks).

Sigh.

Red or Alive on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Goddamn, another PAL delay. Euroscum such as myself have to wait 'til 7/3 (or 3/7 for you yanks).

Sigh.

Wait, what? Where?

Xagarath on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Sigh.

Wait, what? Where?

You're not going to be happy...

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vangu, I'd check the size of your sig. Put the bottom part in Spoilers or something, or it'll all be deleted by a mod.

urahonky on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ^Thanks for the tip.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Sigh.

Wait, what? Where?

You're not going to be happy...

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Red or Alive on
  • guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Finally got the game.
    Ranked 8th, loving it, but... Does anyone else feel serious amounts of eyestrain after an hour or two of this specific game? This never happens on the 360, or even with RE4:Wii... Something about the game seriously screws up my eyes... I think I try to overfocus on the minimap and the vague textures in the overworld...
    Which is weird since Killer7 never did anything like this to my eyes. :(

It's a shame though, the game's rad otherwise.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No, I never had that problem.

I beat a few of the one hit and it is over missions on mild. I have not played much of my "clear data"/new game + yet.

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2008
    I never had any eyestrain from this or any other videogame, no.

slash000 on
    edited February 2008
    The only eyestrain I've ever gotten from gaming is if my DS has a game that switches screens a lot.

Unearthly Stew on
This discussion has been closed.