As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Genesis Suggestions

13»

• MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There was a game, I think made by EA, that was basically exactly like Heroes of Might and Magic. I mean, it had the same basic factions and units (I remember peasants for the humans and fairies for the fanatsy race). I think it had King in the name. I remember renting it and loving the crap out of it. It was because of that game that I later picked up the HoMM series.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    EA did have Might and Magic III for the Genesis. It was fun as hell.

Sadly, I was never able to kill the Mega Dragon.

Edit: I was thinking of Might and Magic II. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_and_Magic_II:_Gates_to_Another_World
    So much time invested in that game.

Fellhand on
  • BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It can't be said too many times that you NEED GUNSTAR HEROES

edit: You also need streets of rage, and road rash!

Burgu on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Hi everyone, i'm new, so i apologise in advance for jumping in feet- first.

I second/ third/ eightieth Flashback, and Phantasy Star IV, but am i going to be burned at the stake for the mere suggestion that i liked Golden Axe III? Sure, the animation may not be quite as smooth as in II, but who couldn't like a panther/ human hybrid, whose nickname is "EVIL"? Ironically, for all of his ass- kickery, he had the lamest magic power- to control fog?!? Also, it had branching paths, and a desert stage that changes from day to night as you progress, which is legendary.... Where's the love? Well, i may be crazy, but it's still a fun game to me."[/I]

I liked Golden Axe III a lot. The hit detection for your attacks seemed better than the first two games, which had been a big annoyance of mine.

Only thing I didn't like was that Tyris Flare looked a little too butch compared to Golden Axe II.

Rigor Mortis on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thank goodness- i thought i was the only one! I salute you, brother/ sister/ transgender entity using the nomenclature of your choosing.

I could be wrong, as it may just have been a poor translation, but i had it in my mind that the characters from GA3 are new, in spite of looking very similar to Tyris et al- the only returning character is Gilius, and he's only in a supporting role as your advisor at the start of the game. i'm playing it at the moment on the Genesis (Megadrive here in euroland) PSP collection.

DusT_HounD on
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No chance to read the thread, but these are my favorites.

MUST HAVES:
    ShadowRun RPG game. This kickedASS. The SNES one was also good, but they are 100% different games.
    Rock and Roll Racing. GREAT top down racing game. Think RC Pro-AM on steroids.
    Mutant League Football. An actual good football that is also crazy enough to be fun for non-football fans.

If you like platformers:
    Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic and Knuckles
    Alladin (it didn't suck, it was awesome)
    Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 (hilariously silly)
    Kid Chameleon (hard as balls)
    Flashback (very reminiscent of early Prince of Persia games and brutal but fun. Almost more of a puzzle game since each screen has so few ways to actually survive to the next screen. Lots of trial and error that makes you feel like a total badass when it works)

If you like fighting games:
    Eternal Champions was very good.

Puzzle games:
    Oddworld games. Abes Oddyssey and Abes Exodus I think were both on this system.

Smudge on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    shadowrunsegacovermn6.jpg

While all of these fellas have really good recommendations, I think it would be best for you to start with the games I've listed first in order to get a well rounded look at some of the best games on the system, or the games that really made the Genesis something special. /biased opinion ;-)

Sheep on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    g02549o1ruo.jpg

Phelios is freaking amazing. It's as close to Tyrian as you can get on the genesis.

Also, in case no one has mentioned it yet:
    BeyondOasisCover.jpg
    Beyond Oasis

DanHibiki on
  • mastaj4mastaj4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gadget_Twins_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

Gadget Twins!

mastaj4 on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    shadowrunsegacovermn6.jpg

While all of these fellas have really good recommendations, I think it would be best for you to start with the games I've listed first in order to get a well rounded look at some of the best games on the system, or the games that really made the Genesis something special. /biased opinion ;-)

Hell yes. I played the hell out of that game and loved every minute of it. I remember getting my hands on the SNES version and thinking I was in for another treat and then...ugh. Not so much.

Also, to echo the ninety other people who have mentioned these games:
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Landstalker
    Phantasy Star II-IV
    Gunstar Heroes
    Shining Force 1 & 2

I'm sure I've forgotten several awesome games, but those were the ones I though of immediately.

edit: Oh yeah, Beyond Oasis was hell of good too.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Herzog Zwei was my personal favorite on the console.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Thank goodness- i thought i was the only one! I salute you, brother/ sister/ transgender entity using the nomenclature of your choosing.

I could be wrong, as it may just have been a poor translation, but i had it in my mind that the characters from GA3 are new, in spite of looking very similar to Tyris et al- the only returning character is Gilius, and he's only in a supporting role as your advisor at the start of the game. i'm playing it at the moment on the Genesis (Megadrive here in euroland) PSP collection.

Hmmm. Wikipedia says you're right, the woman in III is named "Sarah Barn", although she was wrongly referred to as "Tyris Flare" in the Sega Channel non-cartridge version which was the only official US release. So we're both right, sorta :P

The official Japanese version had English text, so I don't think it was a translation problem so much as outright stupid on the part of Sega. Even so, I don't remember the game ever mentioning the character names... it just referred to you as "Brave Warrior" or somesuch. External info FTW.

Rigor Mortis on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In regard to Shadowrun, I often see people referring to the Genesis version being the best.

Henroid on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    In regard to Shadowrun, I often see people referring to the Genesis version being the best.

It's the more Shadowruny-Cyberpunk out of the two.

Personally, on the basis of gameplay, I prefer the SNES version.

Sheep on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Smudge wrote: »
    Puzzle games:

and they were also PC/PS1 exclusive. Theres no way either of those games would have ran on Genesis.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Something that others have not mentioned yet is Tiny Toons Adventures : Acme All Stars. It's great fun and if you have a friend to play it with is even better! Basically you can play as all or against the Tiny Toon figures, if you watched the shows as a kid you'll love it. You play soccer, basketball, bowling etc and must beat the evil guys, lots of fun.

Also look at the Mickey Mouse games, good platformers too.

I didn't hate Sonic 3D Blast as much as everyone else, but it has a different feel.

Toe Jam & Earl 1& 2 have also not been mentioned enough.

And Dol Feace (Sol Feace on the Sega CD) is a classic shump.

And the Chaos Engine, steampunk inspired Schump. Blowing up zeppelins and other WW1 fare.
    edit: oops it's not Chaos engine, but the steampunk schump is good.

El Viento, great platformer.

Two Crude Dudes. Platformer.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Platformer with some great elements. Good atmosphere.

Alisia Dragoon.

what's wrong with you people?

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    250px-General_Chaos_cover.jpg
    General Chaos
    The Road Rash Games
    Skitchin' (Yeah!!! *theme music starts playing*)
    Toe Jam & Earl 2
    Flashback
    Streets of Rage I,II, III
    Aladin
    Beyond Oasis
    and the Sonic the hedgehog games

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Gaze upon Sword of Sodan and weep bitter tears:

swordofsodanql2.gif
    YES. I rented that so hard as a kid. And I think brought it up here recently. Almost bought it through Amazon. Fucking terrible game with huuge sprites.

I bought the Immortal instead, yessss. And re-bought Castle of Illusion, which is simple but excellent. I would also highly, highly recommend Quackshot. I hate Disney but love those two games.

I gotta shout out to Shadow Dancer. I had that shit memorized. It doesn't really play like the other Shinobi games.

Nintendo needs to push the 3rd parties, like EA, to get some of that shit on the VC, fuck. My Genesis is a little fucked, the RF hookup is super noisy and tapping on the Genesis cleans it up/makes it worse. Sucks.

Mashalot on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Smudge wrote: »

Puzzle games:

What?

...No!

Waka Laka on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The sequel to ToeJam & Earl (i.e. Panic on Funkotron) doesn't lend itself well to subsequent playthroughs like the original does. It will be fun the first or second time you play it, but after that it loses its charm. I say you should just pick up the first and stick with that.

Masonite on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's been mentioned before but I still nominate the Mutant League games. I spent an entire summer with two broken legs and several fractures in various places of my body but I didn't give a crap since I played Mutant League Hockey with my friends all the time.

Rings of Power is another solid choice if you want a good RPG that isn't Pahntasy Star.

Silpheed on