As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions online!

CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
http://www.champions-online.com/

Due in 2009, not actually based on the Champions system, but inspired by it.

It's going to have classes, but it's a point buy system.

Your class determines what powers cost you.

The combat is not traditional MMORPG combat but more of a action system, no cooldown timers.

Heroes only to start, villains in an expansion.

Create your own personal nemesis.

Cabezone on

• Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The screenshots look like Cryptic just took the CoH engine, character models and environments and cel shaded it. But it sounds kind of neat nonetheless.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the graphics, especially the power effects. I have a feeling it will look splendid in motion.
    The Nemesis system is something they had talked about in CoH so at least we know the concept has been mulled over for a long time.
    It really does look like a cell shaded, bloom heavy CoH. :|
    Free form classes could be good stuff, sounds like the original CoH idea.
    The First True Action MMORPG

* Hi-Octane Excitement: Champions Online delivers furious, fast-paced encounters previously reserved for action and fighting games. No more boring auto attacks and lengthy recharge times. Champions Online combat is instantaneous — and electrifying!

* Brains required: Every enemy and super-powered threat in Champions Online has its own unique abilities and combat specialties. Use your head — or wind up dead!

* Bring friends, make friends: The Champions Online universe will be jam-packed with thousands of heroes, facing thousands of threats. Join up with other heroes, create your own superteam, and prepare to take on the ultimate threats!

Be the Hero You Want To Be

* Total customization, at your fingertips: Choose from hundreds of different costume pieces, colors and body types to create your character's one-of-a-kind costume and look. There are billions of possible combinations, and in a universe brimming with the fantastic and the unforgettable, you can still be completely unique!

* Your powers, on your terms: There are a multitude of astonishing powers to choose from in Champions Online, and its flexible character creation system gives you total control over your hero's abilities. You can even pick the appearance of your powers. Do you want purple force fields? Green fire blasts? Jet black claws? In Champions Online, you decide!

* Keep your enemies close: Every hero must have an archenemy. In Champions Online, you design your character's supreme adversary, choosing a name, powers and costume for a superpowered foe to bedevil your hero throughout his or her career.

* Bigger and better: Vanquish evil, and your successes will be rewarded with costume pieces to enhance your powers and abilities. Then customize the appearance of those rewards to your vision of your hero's look and abilities!

Vast Universe

* Endless exploration: The battle against evil in Champions Online rages across the world into outer space and alternate dimensions. No other MMOG offers players the chance to explore such diverse realms — from the shining skyscrapers of Millennium City and the frozen wastes of Canada to the interstellar gladiatorial arena on the moon, the hidden underwater city of Lemuria and the foul mystical dimension known as Qliphotic.

* Evil most foul: Battle supervillains, aliens, giant monsters and secret, sinister organizations. Doctor Destroyer is launching new plans to conquer the world. VIPER lurks in the shadows, seeking chances to strike at humanity. The ancient Lemurians are plotting a return to power. And Mechanon won't stop until it has wiped all organic life from the planet. Can you stop these heinous threats to humanity?

* Make your mark: The story of Champions Online is constantly changing, continually evolving. Villains are defeated. Heroes rise and fall. Cities transform. Your actions may decide the future!

Sounds good. Not sure how the no recharge times is going to work.

Put me down as sceptically optimistic.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's like they didn't even try to pretend they were making a new game. Everything about this just screams 'CoX 2.0' to me.

I'm a little sad there won't be villains at release. Villains are such an integral part of the story, and I'm surprised they aren't including them at launch.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    God damn it, this makes me sad.
    Endless exploration: The battle against evil in Champions Online rages across the world into outer space and alternate dimensions. No other MMOG offers players the chance to explore such diverse realms — from the shining skyscrapers of Millennium City and the frozen wastes of Canada to the interstellar gladiatorial arena on the moon, the hidden underwater city of Lemuria and the foul mystical dimension known as Qliphotic.

That shit was originally New York, Canadian "Windigo" wilderness, Inhumans moon base, Atlantis, maybe Mephisto's realm or the Negative Zone. Now it is generic to me. :cry:

Accualt on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CoH 2: World of Heroes?

Fine with me, although this will probably be the wierdest case of a sequel competing with the original ever.

Scooter on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HI-OCTANE EXCITEMENT INJECTED RIGHT INTO YOUR BLOOD STREAM

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Put me down as sceptically optimistic.

Word to that. I really like the graphics, though. Let's hope the gameplay delivers a bit more than CoX did at launch.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If this is an mmo that plays like a brawler with those graphics, God damn.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I do worry a little bit about the graphics engine.

I mean, the CoX engine already requires more than it should for lower-end graphics, and hardware support is pretty terrible.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh, sweet.

Now that Microsoft's taken their ball/money and gone home, this isn't a Vista exclusive anymore.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That sound you just heard was my inner child exploding in glee. I'm a *longtime* HERO system buff (HERO is the 'generic' system that grew out of Champions) and to a lesser extent the world of Champions. I for one consider it an improvement to have moved up from Marvel, but to each their own. I would have gone with CoH instead of WoW if it had been closer to HERO/Champions.

I'm not surprised they're going with the "inspired by" bit. There are aspects of HERO that wouldn't translate well to an MMOG (the SPD mechanic in particular would need a lot of work). There are also some systemic issues that those of us familiar with the system have long said that they'd have to either "prebuild" our powers (as I'm reading it, that's what they're doing) or restrict tightly.

Naturally I have about a thousand questions they're not going to be able/willing to answer yet. How will NND's work? Which version of the CU are they going with? Are they going to keep the killing vs normal damage bit? Will there be an equivalent of Move By/Move Thru? Fifth-Edition Haymakers?

Just let me build Mind Mole or Bouncing Boy. That's all I ask :)

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Loved CoX so I'm in, who do I give money to?

I was waiting for the Marvel MMO but this sounds even better. I guess I rejoin CoX while I wait.

Handkor on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Endless exploration: The battle against evil in Champions Online rages across the world into outer space and alternate dimensions. No other MMOG offers players the chance to explore such diverse realms — from the shining skyscrapers of Millennium City and the frozen wastes of Canada to the interstellar gladiatorial arena on the moon, the hidden underwater city of Lemuria and the foul mystical dimension known as Qliphotic.

That shit was originally New York, Canadian "Windigo" wilderness, Inhumans moon base, Atlantis, maybe Mephisto's realm or the Negative Zone. Now it is generic to me. :cry:

Champions's Millennium City is actually Detroit, post-annihilation-by-orbiting-space-death-ray. Would that improve Detroit? I'm not sure.

I understand why they have to close off a lot of the freedom in the HERO pen-and-paper system, but it's still kind of a shame -- HERO is the most awesomely nerdy (as in "carefully engineered to provide a mechanic for damn near anything") RPG system ever created. Sure, it's got a lot of old and busted parts, but the core set of ideas is fundamentally sound, and really cool.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

Fine with me, although this will probably be the wierdest case of a sequel competing with the original ever.

I think it's more like Harmonix creating Rock Band to compete with their old Guitar Hero than anything.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm hoping that those screenshots are using placeholder animations and textures, because like everyone else has said this just looks so much like CoX. That second Screenshot, where Nemesis - I mean, Doctor Destroyer - is using his "deadly darkness tangleweb" is so painfully clearly using CoX animations for casting and even the guy being held. The locations all look painfully Paragon Cityish as well.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be buying this because of personal archnemeses and because I'm a whore for Superheroes, but it would be nice to play a new game, not just CoX re-skinned.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The screenshots look great -- has a great comic-book look and the models don't bug me like they did in CoH. I'll be looking forward to this!

Timmer on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Handkor wrote: »

I was waiting for the Marvel MMO but this sounds even better. I guess I rejoin CoX while I wait.

The Marvel MMO can canned for this, FYI.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    cjeris wrote: »

Champions's Millennium City is actually Detroit, post-annihilation-by-orbiting-space-death-ray. Would that improve Detroit? I'm not sure.

I understand why they have to close off a lot of the freedom in the HERO pen-and-paper system, but it's still kind of a shame -- HERO is the most awesomely nerdy (as in "carefully engineered to provide a mechanic for damn near anything") RPG system ever created. Sure, it's got a lot of old and busted parts, but the core set of ideas is fundamentally sound, and really cool.

Just to clarify the bolded part, Millennium City is the rebuilt, uber-modern Detroit. It's interesting to note that at least one other Superhero RPG (Brave New World) wiped out Detroit and rebuilt/renamed it; makes me wonder what Detroit ever did to superhero RPGamers :lol:

===================

editted to add
    So as I'm reading this, it's less RPG than it is a fighter with a multiplayer element & a persistent world. The graphical similarities are understandable since it is built on the same engine (the website says so).

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

I think it's more like Harmonix creating Rock Band to compete with their old Guitar Hero than anything.

Hopefully that comparison plays out the same way and this ends up as successful as Rock Band. I love the look of that features list, and the screenshots look quite pretty. Heres hoping this kicks ass.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think the idea is the world would just be better off if we burned down Detroit and tried again.

Scooter on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I saw a cave--cel-shaded, but a cave nonetheless--and I groaned. The thing that keeps me from staying with CoX for any substantial time now is that I've seen most of what's come already. Ouroboros was fun, except, well, it was stuff I'd done before for the most part. And no one was around to play my corruptor with last time. :(

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Woo!

Until we have more information this is all I really have to add to the subject.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »

The Marvel MMO can canned for this, FYI.

I knew that I kinda just didn't finished my train of thought, this is what I get for posting from work while all busy and stuff.

This looks better than the Marvel MMO they were working on and will give Cryptic more freedom.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This looks better than the Marvel MMO they were working on and will give Cryptic more freedom.
    Especially since Cryptic owns the Champions IP now. Here's what the HERO system line director had to say about it:
    So that’s the main scoop, straight from the horse’s mouth! But here are a few additional tidbits that I think will help explain the Champions Online MMO (“COMMO”) deal to current Hero/Champions fans.

1. What’s happened here is that Cryptic has bought the Champions and Dark Champions intellectual property — the characters, setting, history, events, and so on.

2. Cryptic has not bought the HERO System rules. The Champions Online MMO is not a “HERO System MMO.” You will not be using the HERO System to build your characters in the MMO, or anything like that. Under the terms of our agreement with Cryptic, COMMO will use many HERO System terms for its powers, abilities, and so on, but it does not use the HERO System rules.

3. Cryptic has not bought any of the rest of our IP (such as the Turakian Age, the Terran Empire, or Tuala Morn).

4. Under the terms of our agreement, Cryptic has licensed back to DOJ the right to produce Champions RPG supplements, though it has the right to approve those supplements. As part of the deal we get to use their artwork. This makes at least a few color books possible going forward, though when we implement a change like that has not yet been decided.

5. Because Cryptic now owns the Champions/Dark Champions IP, they can change it or tweak it as they deem fit so that it suits an MMO. For example, I’ve seen their illustration of Defender. It looks nothing like any incarnation of Defender ever published by Hero Games. Similarly, I’ve seen their Dr. Destroyer. I’d bet that a Champions fan would realize it’s Dr. Destroyer, but he doesn’t look exactly like the Dr. D in CKC. The needs of an MMO are often different from the needs of an RPG, so Cryptic’s going to change things as needed.

However, that being said, Cryptic has no desire to run an RPG company; they have plenty of their own fish to fry. There’s a huge range of information about the Champions Universe that Cryptic generally isn’t concerned about since it has no direct impact on COMMO. Therefore I don’t expect any problems on this front. As we keep publishing Champions supplements we’ll be changing things as needed to reflect Cryptic’s vision of the Champions Universe, but that doesn’t mean our own views are going to get shoved aside — it’s a big sandbox to play in and Cryptic only needs part of it for an MMO. For example, Dr. Destroyer looks a certain way in COMMO, and that will be reflected when he makes an appearance in books — but it doesn’t mean we couldn’t come up with three or four more suits of armor for him as part of the RPG. So far we’ve had an excellent working relationship with the guys at Cryptic, many of whom are long-time fans of Champions, and I have no doubt that will continue as we move forward.

6. Going forward, we’re going to create Champions supplements that will help Cryptic in its production of the game. We’re going to cover subjects it would like to see covered, create things it would like to see created, and otherwise try to dovetail our goals for Champions the RPG with their goals for Champions Online. This helps us because we get to use their art (minimizing production costs) and can produce books that will hopefully be of interest (and thus sell to) fans of COMMO who aren’t fans of ours (yet!). It also allows us to have more of an impact on COMMO than it would if we just left it all to Cryptic.

7. When we come out with a new edition of CHAMPIONS for the 6E rules, or perhaps a distinct COMMO RPG book, we’ll include information about how to create your COMMO character using the HERO System rules, probably with a bunch of plug-and-play prebuilt powers to boot. But just to make sure we’re clear, COMMO does not use the HERO System rules in any way. I can build World Of Warcraft or Everquest characters with the HERO System too, but they’re not based on HERO either. wink.gif

Now that we’ve gotten all that out of the way, I’ll conclude by saying how excited all of us here at Hero Games are to be working with Cryptic on this project. Not only is it going to be an awesome MMO based on our way cool Champions Universe, it’s a chance to expose the HERO System to a much broader audience than ever before. We hope you’ll join us in welcoming newcomer to the site, making them feel at home, and helping them learn the game.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the update, Al Baron. So basically a lot of my system-intensive questions are a waste of time :P

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hopefully there will be more stuff to do right at the beginning in this then there was in CoX. I got bored after a week because all you do is beat up dudes, over and over and over...

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Very little other than promises of features so far, but I believe they can do it. If the art style from those screenshots is kept like that and runs in an optimized engine, it'll be pure sex. Not sure I agree with the whole, "they cel-shaded CoX" comments... even the nearly featureless cave is obviously a different construct.

Wary optimism? Nah, unless the next few screenshots and gameplay videos look like ass, I'm sticking with just plain vanilla optimism.

So... we're looking at what? At least 15 months until this thing is out?

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No offense aunspoh, but, are you serious? I'm going to log on my villains when I get home from work, and I'm pretty sure I can find this exact location in either Sharkhead or the Cap. The modeling on the pipes and barrels is even the same.

It's hard to tell from those cave shots how similar they are to the CoX ones, but then, how original is your average cave hideout going to be?

Not to say I won't buy it and probably be completely happy. Mix/matching powers and a graphics and engine update to CoX would be awesome. I'm just wondering if they're going to be able to pull it off; I have to think someone at NCSoft saw the screens and sent a memo to legal telling them to start sharpening the knives.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    No offense aunspoh, but, are you serious? I'm going to log on my villains when I get home from work, and I'm pretty sure I can find this exact location in either Sharkhead or the Cap. The modeling on the pipes and barrels is even the same.

Yep, because the pipes Cryptic should be using are the ones with green stripes and yellow stars painted all over them. Seriously dude, they're pipes, not snowflakes. They all look the same.
    I'm just wondering if they're going to be able to pull it off; I have to think someone at NCSoft saw the screens and sent a memo to legal telling them to start sharpening the knives.

What would they sue Cryptic over? It's a completely different IP. Sure, it looks similar to CoX (are you really that surprised?) but I doubt the CEO of NCsoft is gonna look at those screenshots and and say:

"Oh..oh what the fuck? Mike, get over here. See those pipes? Do those look familiar? I know! That's what I said. Gah...damn it all to hell, we gave Emmert that nice Christmas bonus and now he steals our fucking pipes? Karren, get my lawyer on the phone."

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I just noticed in the concept art for Doctor Destroyer he has a bad ass cape but not in the screenshots.
    This is sooo CoX 2.0

Accualt on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah. Ehh.

I can wait for this one.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Eh, I'm not super interested in arguing about it. If you don't think those industrial environments in the screenshots look exactly (plus some shading) the same as half of CoX, I won't be able to convince you.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I look forward to playing it long enough to make a few cool cel-shaded characters, and then moving on like I did with CoX.

They would have to make a much more interactive world to draw me in for long.

Still, I do like the cel-shaded thing. Jet Set Radio: Super? :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To somewhat go off topic...
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Jet Set Radio: Online
    THIS, it must happen. I don't know why but I'd love something like that... uh, anyway. Being that I've played CoX myself I will say the environment looks similar, though it is likely in the early stages of development. Other than that the style as well as the look of the costumes are things I have never, ever seen in CoX and the idea of making your own nemesis is awesome. I'll try it out merely because of whos making it to tell you the truth.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It really does look like a cell shaded, bloom heavy CoH. :|

I'm confused...are you...disappointed with this idea???

That is the ONE thing that REALLY bugged me about CoH....they had this AWESOME comic mythos and universe....but it didn't LOOK like a comic book....everytime I loaded it up I thought "Man, this would be SO much more superhero-y if only it were cel-shaded...

so I am extremely excited about this game and I think I might play it for a long long time.....(If it lives up to the hype..)

Arch on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It does seem very much to be COX2. The feature list is clearly coming from the big wishlists on the cox forums.

However, I think Cryptic are an awesome company, who created a massively original game in COH. I have high hopes that as time and development go on they will add a lot more individuality.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are you people serious? All I'm hearing is complaints of the similarities to CoX in here. 90% of the MMOs out there are fantasy-based dragon and ogre slaying bullshit. They all copy off of eachother, just as this one is doing to CoX. I'm just happy that there is going to be more than one comic-themed game to choose from, and I hope this trend continues. 20 years from now, I hope to be in the place of the original EQ players, talking about the good old days.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the problem is the level of similarity.

815165 on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I think the BEST PART is the level of similarity.

Fix'd

IMO the CoH games came SOOOOO close to perfect, and this (hopefully) will come closer.

If this game does at the minimum everything it claims it will, and the graphics stay the same as in the screen shots....

I will never have a life again

Arch on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are you people serious? All I'm hearing is complaints of the similarities to CoX in here. 90% of the MMOs out there are fantasy-based dragon and ogre slaying bullshit. They all copy off of eachother, just as this one is doing to CoX. I'm just happy that there is going to be more than one comic-themed game to choose from, and I hope this trend continues. 20 years from now, I hope to be in the place of the original EQ players, talking about the good old days.
    Don't get me wrong. I kind of have my fingers crossed that there will be a CoX 2.0 someday. I'd love to see the characters I've lovingly created put in an even more interactive environment, and given more options. And if they can give me a new game experience in Champions, I'd gladly remake Doc Mech and Mister Generic in that universe (different names, of course). It does need to be unique, though. That's all I'm asking.

And that cave picture definitely looks like one of the T-intersection cave blocks, just with a hole in the ceiling.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
This discussion has been closed.