As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

• Options
    BluddoBluddo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DAMN!

Got here too late to suggest "Sedimental Value"

Ah well, there's other great names out there...

...he's the hero that's taken for "granite"!

Bluddo on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bluddo wrote: »
    DAMN!

Got here too late to suggest "Sedimental Value"

Ah well, there's other great names out there...

...he's the hero that's taken for "granite"!

Man I told him I'd rename if he didn't like it and that is totally going in there if he says to.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Digito wrote: »
    I seem to recall I tried turning all the settings down and it only helped some, although on the other hand I hadn't tried that since upgrading to a gig of RAM... still, giving some thought to taking a break from XI to come back. Now if I could only remember if I've been gone for 90 days or more...
    When using SJ the biggest difference is made by your hard drive, since it needs to read a lot of new data and fast. So, fragmented and laptop drives are gonna chug, and even ordinary drives might have problems at times.
    God, 10k RPM drives make all the difference though. Not so much in CoX, but in something like WoW it turned a 45 second hearth to Orgrimmar into a 1 second fade-out/fade-in pause, with no crowd lag.

Glal on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone want to refer me to this game? I've wanted to try it for ages, but I never got the chance to.

Email: stefin.sun(at)gmail

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sent.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This was posted as a fix for laptop issues, but when I played with my ATI card it helped out as well, add this to the Target bar in the shortcut to the game:

-useTexEnvCombine

After turning all the settings down, it gave me a pretty fantastic framerate.

Bluddo on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    Sent.

Thank you, sir.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    I went with Punchy McStone.

I was going to suggest Stoneroids. :P

aunsoph on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does laughing at this thread title make me a bad person?

Accualt on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Haha, awesome. From th first page of that thread:
    How come the Clockworks don't attack cars or make nasty cars to attack people?
    She should be lead dev for this game

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HJFrewHJFrew WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This was posted as a fix for laptop issues, but when I played with my ATI card it helped out as well, add this to the Target bar in the shortcut to the game:

-useTexEnvCombine

Thank you so much for this, my framerate has doubled.

HJFrew on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Um...

Um.

http://www.champions-online.com/screenshots

Jesus christ.

Not sure I love the cell shading, but it definitely looks unique.

KiTA on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Um...

Um.

http://www.champions-online.com/screenshots

Jesus christ.

Not sure I love the cell shading, but it definitely looks unique.
    Yeah, I was looking at these after Tycho linked them earlier, and if this is what I can expect from CO then I am so fucking sold. Between the graphics and the straight-from-inside-my-brain feature list, I am seriously looking forward to this now.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HJFrew wrote: »

-useTexEnvCombine

What does it do? I'm at work and I haven't had a chance to run home and try it. I too play on an ATI card and long for an improved framerate.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I personally dig the cell shading though in a lot of ways it does look like CoX with cell shading.

Man you know if champions turns out to be really good we should just all migrate over. Same friends, different setting.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Does laughing at this thread title make me a bad person?

You were already a bad person.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2008
    hey, does anyone have a re-activation invite thing they could send me

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    hey, does anyone have a re-activation invite thing they could send me

Send me your e-mail.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    I personally dig the cell shading though in a lot of ways it does look like CoX with cell shading.

Man you know if champions turns out to be really good we should just all migrate over. Same friends, different setting.

You can bet I'll at least try it out.

Shit, we can make Team Uber all over again!

Scooter on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I'm going to have to jump in just to remake NanKnight.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I will probably buy it on day one just to reserve Gear Girl.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2008
    The create your own nemesis feature is probably one of the best selling points to me, at least.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It does look awesome. I am inherently distrustful of any game States is associated with, though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yes, but can it teach our children to read?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    It does look awesome. I am inherently distrustful of any game States is associated with, though.

I don't know who does what of the dev staff yet, but in any case States is running multiple games now, so I'd assume COMMO has it's own Positron to run things. Foxbat maybe?

Scooter on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey that actually looks pretty bad ass.

Seems like it's just going to be City of Heroes 2. Which is great.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well of course I'll be buying Champions on day one, it has thuper heros! The question is how much will I love it. The console style idea of the combat has me hard in the pants, more than anything, but who knwos how it will actually turn out.

Good chance I'll end up just jumping back and forth between Champions and CoX if they stagger issues.
    Hell, we could get our whole SG to follow a migratory pattern from one big content push to another.

Accualt on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Good chance I'll end up just jumping back and forth between Champions and CoX if they stagger issues.

Oh god I can just see it now.

"Now I just need to take the train to Atlas.. wait shit wrong game! WHERE AM I!?"

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys my video card is running idle at 75 degrees. I think either my fan is dead or I need to fucking dust that sumabitch.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A midget is in your case wrecking up the place.

Lep on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

-useTexEnvCombine

What does it do? I'm at work and I haven't had a chance to run home and try it. I too play on an ATI card and long for an improved framerate.

I have no idea what it does, but playing CoH on my laptop is actually enjoyable now.

HJFrew on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, I tried your command. The results are... weird. My UI frames are all running off the screen. I can't actually see any of what's going on, although my framerate does seem to have improved.

I'll post a screenshot in a second, when I get one uploaded.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Your powers, on your terms: There are a multitude of astonishing powers to choose from in Champions Online, and its flexible character creation system gives you total control over your hero's abilities. You can even pick the appearance of your powers. Do you want purple force fields? Green fire blasts? Jet black claws? In Champions Online, you decide!

SOLD.
    Keep your enemies close: Every hero must have an archenemy. In Champions Online, you design your character's supreme adversary, choosing a name, powers and costume for a superpowered foe to bedevil your hero throughout his or her career.

ALL MY DICKS...

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, I tried your command. The results are... weird. My UI frames are all running off the screen. I can't actually see any of what's going on, although my framerate does seem to have improved.

I'll post a screenshot in a second, when I get one uploaded.

I say keep working with it. It did some weird things with my client as well, but in the end it helps a lot.

KiTA wrote: »
    Your powers, on your terms: There are a multitude of astonishing powers to choose from in Champions Online, and its flexible character creation system gives you total control over your hero's abilities. You can even pick the appearance of your powers. Do you want purple force fields? Green fire blasts? Jet black claws? In Champions Online, you decide!

SOLD.

Yeah, this is something I was hoping they'd do with CoH. Champions Online! Now!

HJFrew on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, looking over that Champions stuff, and it's like they're taking everything that was missing from CoX and starting off with it. If it truly is CoX 2.0, I think I'll feel a bit bad about jumping ship, but that really sounds like it could be the definitive superhero game.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It would've been nice if Cryptic actually concentrated it's efforts into CoX. I won't get my hopes up for Champions.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    they take the most-demanded feature of city of heroes

and they advertise it with champions

nice work, cryptic

Pony on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    they take the most-demanded feature of city of heroes

and they advertise it with champions

nice work, cryptic

They also coincidentally removed City of Heroes and City of Villains from their CrypticStudios webpage today. I suppose it makes sense, but its kind of odd that they'd remove the fact that they created the games from their page.

Anyhow, all those features for CO sound cool. So did all the cool features that we talked about in CoH beta when they were announced. Like the Faultline Trial, zones changing based on how many of each faction was defeated in the zone, and super group vaults. The last one at least actually made it into the game, at least two years later. The other two never happened at all. I think we've all learned that Cryptic can talk a great game, and brainstorm with the best. Actually delivering though, thats another matter.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The only company I have seen that delivered exactly the MMORPG they promised was Blizzard, with WoW.

Every other MMORPG basically ever promises more than it actually has.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

-useTexEnvCombine

I have no idea what it does, but playing CoH on my laptop is actually enjoyable now.

Yeah, same here. I was playing CoX for a few months and got sick of the shitty framerate so I dug through Google for about six hours and unearthed this little gem.

No clue what it does, the original page had an explanation but I don't plan on doing another Google-hunt for six hours.

Bluddo on
This discussion has been closed.