As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uh guys....

I'm uh in the beta of Warhammer Online. So I don't think you'll see me online much. I will keep this thread up to date so if you guys need anything done only I can do please let me know. ^^

Aldo on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Uh guys....

I'm uh in the beta of Warhammer Online. So I don't think you'll see me online much. I will keep this thread up to date so if you guys need anything done only I can do please let me know. ^^

Well look at you being all fancy and stuff.

Congratulations.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uh guys....

And here I thought the reason you couldn't be online long enough to do a dungeon was due to having a life or something.

BASTICH!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And here I thought the reason you couldn't be online long enough to do a dungeon was due to having a life or something.

BASTICH!
    I got in today, I still only have ~90mins/day for playing videogames. :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uh guys....

Kickass. Congrats and all that, by all means, enjoy yourself there.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

BASTICH!
    I got in today, I still only have ~90mins/day for playing videogames. :(

It sounds like you don't deserve to be in the beta. HAND IT OVER.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    NidaNida Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Where do I get that lava pet anyways? I've seen one person with it, and heard others mention that it's pretty common due to it's high physical defense, but I don't know where they come from.
    I bought mine off of someone. They were selling level 17 and 18 eggs. I'm not sure where those spawn. The first spawns I've run across have been in a level 30 area with the Torgrim[sp] version.

Hm, apparently it's better to go with lower level pets since their stats are supposidly better at higher levels with the only advantages of pets tamed at higher levels being a faster m/s and upgraded skills (you can upgrade pet skills yourself anyways).

And I looked it up and the two lower level Lava pets can be found:
    *Lava Stone Guard (17) - Near logging shed @ sword city
    *Grotto Crystal (18) - Fire Grotto (Human Dungeon)

Nida on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uh guys....

I'm uh in the beta of Warhammer Online. So I don't think you'll see me online much.

Well, I guess we know what your priorities are. *snif*

Just kidding. Congrats, and have a ton of fun!

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Nida wrote: »
    I bought mine off of someone. They were selling level 17 and 18 eggs. I'm not sure where those spawn. The first spawns I've run across have been in a level 30 area with the Torgrim[sp] version.

Hm, apparently it's better to go with lower level pets since their stats are supposidly better at higher levels with the only advantages of pets tamed at higher levels being a faster m/s and upgraded skills (you can upgrade pet skills yourself anyways).

And I looked it up and the two lower level Lava pets can be found:
    *Lava Stone Guard (17) - Near logging shed @ sword city
    *Grotto Crystal (18) - Fire Grotto (Human Dungeon)
    Fire Grotto is supposed to be Cave of Fire and those fuckers are aggressive Elites.

You want the ones prancing around that lodging town (it's the one North of Ethersword).

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fire Grotto is supposed to be Cave of Fire and those fuckers are aggressive Elites.

You want the ones prancing around that lodging town (it's the one North of Ethersword).

I'll look around for those when I'm of the appropriate level, then. I've still got about 5 more to go before I can even think about it.

I do like that I can tame so many different things, though... unlike hunters in WoW who are restricted to beasts, my foxgirl has managed to leash a whole variety of things, including a cactus! :lol:

Right now I'm running with one of those crazy purple cat-like things... it has decent defense plus a cool attack that shreds enemy armor.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Or you can just buy the aggressive fucker version for less than the transportation cost to ADC XD
    I tried both out and the level 18 version worked a lot better for me at least.
    Though I'm still trying to find out how my Hardback Dinothere will compare.
    If anything, I may just keep it for the cute noises it makes.

Nida on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm looking to check this out, the client is downloading as I type. I'm not really interested in a longterm commitment (Free MMOs never manage to hold me for long) but I'd really like to explore the world. I absolutely adore being able to fly and large game worlds. My questions are basically:

How quickly do you gain the ability to fly, and is there any class that gets it sooner?

How safe/easy is flying? Is it possible to explore most of the game world once I gain the ability or will I be shot down constantly in higher level areas?

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone happen to know if the servers were down last night between 9 and 10 EST? Downloaded client, installed and registered without incident. Loaded launcher, did a patch check, gave the ok to play... but once the client launched it seemed like there was no connection.

Cleared it with windows firewall... check
    "attempting to connect, will time out in 40 seconds... unable to connect"

No readout regarding the servers... and the "announcements" window on launch was dead.

Google and the website didn't help much, gave up after an hour. :x

Phos on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Phos wrote: »
    Anyone happen to know if the servers were down last night between 9 and 10 EST? Downloaded client, installed and registered without incident. Loaded launcher, did a patch check, gave the ok to play... but once the client launched it seemed like there was no connection.

No readout regarding the servers... and the "announcements" window on launch was dead.

Wednesday nights are maintenance for an hour. I think at...8GMT. 11 maybe?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Riale wrote: »
    I'm looking to check this out, the client is downloading as I type. I'm not really interested in a longterm commitment (Free MMOs never manage to hold me for long) but I'd really like to explore the world. I absolutely adore being able to fly and large game worlds. My questions are basically:

How quickly do you gain the ability to fly, and is there any class that gets it sooner?

How safe/easy is flying? Is it possible to explore most of the game world once I gain the ability or will I be shot down constantly in higher level areas?

Elf Priests can fly indefinitely from the beginning.

From what I've seen, there are some high level things floating around in the air, but they're mostlly avoidable/non-hostile. Things on the ground will shoot at you if you get too close, but most of them aren't terribly difficult to keep your distance from.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Play a Wing Elf Priest... you can fly at level 1. Archers can also fly at level 1, but not infinitely like priests can. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and at least in the lower level areas, there aren't too many flying enemies and the ones that exist are easily circumvented.

Maintenance is between 11am-12pm Wednesday ....GMT+8, which is 9pm-10pm Tuesday EST. So yes, you were trying to connect exactly during the one hour the entire week that the servers are down. :lol:

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

If your character is an Winged Elf, you fly from the start. Otherwise you have to wait until you're level 30 and do the flying mount quest or purchase a flying mount via the Item mall. For the elves, the amount of flying for the archer is limited (dependant on their mana I believe), while the preists have no limit.

Safety really depends on where you are. You can still navigate pretty easily through higher level areas, you just have to pay attention and keep some distance from mobs. Until you're level 30, you don't have to worry about other users getting you. I wouldn't even consider it being shot down since aerial combat is a big aspect of the game. So more like shot at XD

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I know there's a lot of lag issues today for some reason.
    I'm not at home so I haven't been on since yesterday evening.
    You might want to try now. While I can't play the game here, I can see the launcher and there is an announcement about the issue now. Announcement says to check this thread if you're still unable to connect: http://forum.perfectworld.com.my/viewtopic.php?t=4833

Nida on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think that the difference between the flying time of Archers and Priests is the mana regen(This is why mana regens so slowly while flying as a priest). Flying costs mana, and priests regenerate mana faster then it costs to fly. While Archers don't unless you invest in intellect. But if you do that, you may not have the points you want for other attributes.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    I think that the difference between the flying time of Archers and Priests is the mana regen(This is why mana regens so slowly while flying as a priest). Flying costs mana, and priests regenerate mana faster then it costs to fly. While Archers don't unless you invest in intellect. But if you do that, you may not have the points you want for other attributes.
    I thought the archer's had two bars that diminished at a frightening speed:

One for mana and one for "flying" they move independently if I recall correctly.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

One for mana and one for "flying" they move independently if I recall correctly.

A priest has the same bar, it goes down when I cast spells while flying, and it is low when I start flying after I have cast some spells.

I haven't played an archer yet, but the impression I got from posts on the pw forums was that flying time was related to mana.

edit: and what changes about Archers and flying after 30? Since WEs still use wings to fly at 30 my geuss is that some change happens for Archers by that time that lets them fly indefinatly like Were-people and Humans.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A priest has the same bar, it goes down when I cast spells while flying, and it is low when I start flying after I have cast some spells.

I haven't played an archer yet, but the impression I got from posts on the pw forums was that flying time was related to mana.

edit: and what changes about Archers and flying after 30? Since WEs still use wings to fly at 30 my geuss is that some change happens for Archers by that time that lets them fly indefinatly like Were-people and Humans.
    Ah okay. Hadn't realised that.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Ah okay. Hadn't realised that.

And considering I am a super newb at this game, take my comments and assumptions with a very large grain of salt.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not actually all that sure that even once someone reaches level 30 that their flying isn't limited.
    I remember seeing a section for duration while looking at a list of available flying mounts.

Then there was also that video of an elite chasing an elf priest for 8-10+ minutes someone here linked to me after I went through something similar (stupid elites D< lol) where the elf preist at one point looses his wings and the person capturing the video mentioned that he probably ran out of mana due to the amount of damage the mob was dealing and all the healing he was doing as he tried to run away. -Digs up video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxtnZNx9ew

Suddenly it seems very tempting to drag high level elite mobs with AOE attacks across the world map >3

Nida on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dony suppose I could grab an invite to the guild? Character name - Elycius

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If you're on when I get home later and still haven't gotten an invite from anyone else, I'll send one your way.

Oh, and for anyone else reading, if you are online, check to see if you have a rank (like Captain).
    I've been promoting people (at least until I ran out of captain ranks to hand out) so you can send invites too.

Nida on
  • Options
    PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maintenance is between 11am-12pm Wednesday ....GMT+8, which is 9pm-10pm Tuesday EST. So yes, you were trying to connect exactly during the one hour the entire week that the servers are down. :lol:

Got my hopes up, but it's still broken. :x

Guess back to more tinkering with it.

Phos on
  • Options
    MadroxMadrox NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nida wrote: »
    If you're on when I get home later and still haven't gotten an invite from anyone else, I'll send one your way.

Oh, and for anyone else reading, if you are online, check to see if you have a rank (like Captain).
    I've been promoting people (at least until I ran out of captain ranks to hand out) so you can send invites too.

If you could extend that invitation to my character too that'd be great.

Name is ZL.

Madrox on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

It's completely tied to mana. The bar fluctuates up and down as your mana is used or recovered.

Level 30, I believe both elf classes get new pairs of wings that are faster and...do some other stuff. I just know that they don't benefit from skills like flying mastery.

---

I started playing an elf archer, and I'm not sure if I'm going to switch entirely. I ended up crafting an awesome slingshot, so a three skill combo comes close to killing most things I want to kill before they reach me. And the barrier spell makes grinding through melee pretty bearable. With the best claws I can use, and 20 strength, I can cast the spell, gain back most of the mana and rage it took to cast it, and kill something, all while taking 7 damage a hit.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Got Elycius in, but there was no ZL online when I tried.

Seg on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bleh, just played the game for about 15mins. I give it a thumbs down.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Got my hopes up, but it's still broken. :x

Guess back to more tinkering with it.
    Have you looked at link in the announcement yet?
    [SIZE="2"]Dear Player, 

We understand the issue you are facing and we apologize for the matter. We are aware that the issue may be connected with the Internet Service Provider (ISP) that you are using and thus we want to help you get through this.We would like to thank you for your patience and understanding. Please kindly follow the steps below to troubleshoot and help us to identify the problem. 

Checking your firewall/router 

1. Please make sure that either the program (Patcher/Elementclient) files are granted access to the Internet. You can make sure by checking your firewall settings. The default Windows Firewall does not allow programs to access the Internet unless you allow it. This is especially so if you are using third-party firewalls such as Norton Internet Security or McAfee. You can test by temporarily disabling the firewall. 
    2. Please check that port 29000 TCP/UDP is open on your firewall and router if you are using one. By default, these ports should be open. 

Checking your connection 

1. To make sure that this is not a DNS related issue, please run the nslookup command from your command prompt. To do this, simply click on your start button and select Run... 
    2. Type in this command "nslookup goin. perfectworld.com.my" and press enter 
    3. If you see something like this, means your DNS has resolved the hostname successfully 
    C:\>nslookup goin.perfectworld.com.my 
    Server: cns3.tm.net.my 
    Address: 202.188.0.133 

Non-authoritative answer: 
    Name: goin.perfectworld.com.my 
    Addresses: 210.48.156.135, 210.48.156.136, 210.48.156.137, 210.48.156.138 

4. If you can't resolve the DNS, please modify your serverlist.txt file in your Perfect World folder (default: C:\Perfect World\element\userdata\server\serverlist.txt) file as such. 

ORACLE 29000:210.48.156.135 11 
    DELPHI 29000:210.48.156.146 12 

5. Ping one of the IPs you see (eg. 210.48.156.135). Enter this command at the command prompt "ping 210.48.156.135" 
    6. If you see that you are able to ping the IP as below, then your connection is fine. 
    C:\>ping 210.48.156.135 

Pinging 210.48.156.135 with 32 bytes of data: 

Reply from 210.48.156.135: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55 
    Reply from 210.48.156.135: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=55 
    Reply from 210.48.156.135: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=55 
    Reply from 210.48.156.135: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=55 

Ping statistics for 210.48.156.135: 
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), 
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: 
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 58ms, Average = 29ms 

7. If you cannot ping the IP (100% loss) or experience timeouts, this means you cannot connect to the server. The connection is lost somewhere along the way. 
    8. Please make sure that you have not binded any specific IP address to the hostname. To do this, open the hosts file at C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows XP) using your notepad. Delete any references you see to perfectworld.com.my and save. 
    9. In this case, type in this command in the command prompt "tracert 210.48.156.135" and press Enter 
    10. Copy and paste this result in the email, together with the nslookup and ping results and send it to me. 
    11. Please also include your Name, location and ISP that you are using. This can help us pinpoint the source of the issue. 

It is very likely that the ISP you are using may be blocking specific ports or IP ranges to Malaysia or elsewhere or it could also be a routing issue. This makes it possible for your to connect to our servers via proxy but not directly. If it is a DNS issue, you may not have been resolve the hostname, but you would still be able to ping or connect to the servers via IP. If you are unsure, please enquire about it from your ISP. 

I sincerely hope you will be able to connect and play Perfect World and I am sorry that you are facing such issues. If you are having issues or other difficulties, please don't hesitate to email me. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 
    Daemonator 
    Perfect World (MY) 
    [email]daemonator@perfectworld.com.my[/email][/SIZE]

Nida on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And I'm home and online now, so if you need and invite and haven't already posted, post here, or PM me in game: McKenzie

Nida on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yup, I'm unable to connect, too. I wonder if it's just a Time Warner blocking ISP issue? This sucks.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So the Werefox girls. Are they uh... What are they? Pet-raising spellcasters or something? Hunters if they were casters?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    they are warlocks bassically...that catch their minions...and have less dots...and can transform...ok so they aren't really like warlocks.

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And they swarm around in what seem like packs of 3-6 people just slaughtering everything in sight leaving the werebeasts to head further away from towns to do the quests.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ugfh, I couldn't imagine being in such a large party for anything other than an instance.
    Especially when it's easy to solo most anything.

They kind of remind me more of druids with pets.

Nida on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Started a foxgirl named Esera. Eeh, she's level 3 so far and after stumbling around the CITY OF VANISHED, I got me some new set of clothes and a wolf pet. What, so now I venture forth and grind?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Quests should lead you to your next area once you're done there -nodnod-

Nida on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    How often do I come back for skills?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg