As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Alert 3! Insert lame "In Soviet Russia" joke here

• Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The campaign can be co-operatively played with a friend from start to finish. If theres no one to play it with, you can choose between an array of AI allies to fight the war

I hope this doesn't get cut.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't suppose anyone has a link to a tutorial for modding Red Alert 2 sitting around? I wish to make crazy things happen.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.tibed.net/tibed1/guide
    you could always try using TibEdit.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.tibed.net/tibed1/guide
    you could always try using TibEdit.

Also good. Thanks, dude/dudette/robot/Commie.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    game is slower? arghhh. C&C3 was much better than Generals (which was SUPER slow), but things still felt a bit slow. Now they are making it even slower? Whyyyyyy

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I sure don't enjoy super speed. But I was never very good at multiplayer RTS's.

I despised Dark Reign, partly because everything was ricockulously fast.

As for this, I'm hesitantly hopeful. I've always liked the Red Alert line much more than the Tiberium one. I'm still skeptical they can make an interesting storyline. I don't mind campy, but C&C 3 was flat out boring for me. The Scrin were the most generic aliens I've seen since the latest B-flick off-primetime made-for-TV movie on the Scifi Channel.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dkarrde wrote: »

whoaaa, the first one ruled. Was a blast. The second one however, not that great.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shit, how did I miss this news for so long.

This is fucking awesome.

Taximes on
  • Options
    AselithAselith Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

-No Yuri

NOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

Aselith on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »

whoaaa, the first one ruled. Was a blast. The second one however, not that great.
    The first one also had a speed setting. No clue how that was decided for multiplayer though. It's one of my favourite RTS games anyway. It was way ahead of its time, considering StarCraft and Total Annihilation weren't even released back then.

Zell on
  • Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    This better have a fucking orchestral version of "Hell March"

Id like to see an Advent Children~ One Winged Angel style version with an orchestra backed by shredding guitars maybe with Buckethead doing the shredding.

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    vdanhalenv wrote: »
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    This better have a fucking orchestral version of "Hell March"

Id like to see an Advent Children~ One Winged Angel style version with an orchestra backed by shredding guitars maybe with Buckethead doing the shredding.

OH SHIT YES!

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zell wrote: »

The first one also had a speed setting. No clue how that was decided for multiplayer though. It's one of my favourite RTS games anyway. It was way ahead of its time, considering StarCraft and Total Annihilation weren't even released back then.

The first one had amazing user created units.

A Santa Claus with two mini uzis for example. He would shout "Ho Ho Ho" while blowing shit up.

Also giant AT-AT walkers which could transport tanks.

That was awesome.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is making me want to reinstall Red Alert 2. And Red Alert.

And also go back in a time machine to when I used to play them all day.

Taximes on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never really liked RA2 but I loved RA1.. and yeah, Dark Reign was also awesome. Man, I miss all those RTS..

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    smurfbizkitsmurfbizkit Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    new info from here; http://www.cncgames.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1203392404&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&
    Storyline

After the Allies drove the Soviets back to Moscow, and their defeat is nigh, they decide to send back several hitmen in time to kill Einstein, the single person they see responsible for the Allied superiority. Although the act is successful, and Europe seems is in peace (With the second war never happening) in this altered timeline, a third party comes into play with the Empire of the Rising Sun (Japan), which gives birth to plans of world domination they, given their technological advancements, are set to realize and achieve, throwing you into this manage a¡ trois.

Campaign

-Can be played co-operatively either with a friend via Multiplayer, or with the aid of an AI ally. The main goal of the AI players is to capture and defend the most significant points of a given map, and you can use their structures for producing units. You cannot control the units of your team-mate however, for the developers deemed it very chaotic after a test run. Needless to say that you see the map-revealing progress of your ally. Both points count for AI-driven or human Co-op.

-For each side (Allied, Soviets, Empire of the rising sun) there are three commanders to choose from before every mission, each with at least three special abilities. The one they showed the magazine was an allied commander from whom you could ask for an air strike in pre-set periods of time. This commander is played by Peter Weller (aka RoboCop).

-While Yuri doesn't play a role in the main game, the game's writer mentioned the possibility of his return in an already planned expansion pack

Maps

-Altough not visible on the screens, there's going to be massive damaging in RA3, with weapons carving colossal craters into the ground.

-Amphibious ships/tanks can only leave shore on sandy beaches, so it's crucial to capture and defend these areas.

-Since the maps have to provide enough room for at least three participants, they're naturally much bigger than they were in Tiberium Wars.

Gameplay

-Slower pace to prevent rushing and base crawling.
    -Most buildings can be placed on water for extra cost (Confirmed: Power plant, construction yard, airfield, war factory).
    -Most units have a secondary function.
    -Economy remains unchanged (Two resources: Ore and power).
    -Naval combat is crucial in the game, with most units being amphibious.
    -All units have their place in the combat chain. For example, air units are preferable against well defended positions.

Demo Level

The mission involved a cloaking allied tank with which aid you had to get into the city centre unseen, where all of a sudden the city's stadium opened and launched a nuclear missile, while the Soviet dictator appeared in the edge of the screen and raved on about his plans of world domination with a broad smile on his face. Later on it was revealed that not one, but three such rockets were launched, and the objectives were to destroy the silos and stop the missiles. For the already launched one, the writer used Robocop's special ability to call an airstrike, which destroyed one of the stadiums as well. The other two posed an increased difficulty, given the well-defended bases of the Soviets. He chose to capture an enemy conyard to set up a base in the water and escape the massive defence, and after setting up a defensive perimeter at the shore, he produced aircraft, infantry and bullfrogs, and finished off one stadium with bombers launched from the airfield placed in water. He couldn't apply this strategy to the other stadium however, given the numerous air defences. Therefore, he cut off the second base's power, captured a war factory near some Tesla towers and purged the Soviets from the face of the earth with a tank force, completing the mission.

Units

Allied:

-Tanya
    -Apollo: A lighting-fast jet best used against bombers
    -Century: Carpet bombing aircraft, quite ineffective in air-to-air combat
    -Cyrocopter: A propelled scouting/spying unit. Its ability to spot cloaked enemies is currently under discussion
    -Mirage tank: Now with a wider array of holographs, making it more useful outside forests
    -Unnamed light tank as seen in screenshots: Is able to concentrate its radar-beams to be used as a scouting unit
    -Unnamed heavy cruiser: Amphibious
    -Trained dogs, which stun enemies with their barking
    -Shotgunner. Slow, but with a shielding ability

Soviet:

-Commando (Supposedly armed with a tesla-gun)
    -The Akula, a submarine which isn't merely deadly against ships, but is able to train divers as well
    -The Bullfrog transport ship doesn't have to set shore, its able to shoot out the units it's carrying
    -Mobile V4, with the new ability to swim, but its main draw point is the precise and area-effective attack. Very slow unit.
    -Stingray Nasad, a small and fast tesla-launching boat
    -Kirov
    -Tesla walker
    -Armored bear (Made out to be a polar bear in the article, which is doubtful in my opinion)
    -Apocalypse tank
    -Machinegunner, fast and lightly armoured.

Empire of the rising sun:

-Commando
    -The Seawing bomber is able to transform into a submarine simply by falling into the water
    -Tsunami, a water-affin tank which is both heavily armoured and powerful, although slower on land than in water

FMVs

-Seen scenes: Marching allied soldiers, a Russian general shouting, a cold, calculating Japanese general giving orders
    -Stylised and humorous
    -Allegedly not as overacted as in Tiberium Wars

Graphics

-Nearly 60% of the Sage engine's code was rewritten for Red Alert 3, and the screenshots don't represent the visual quality well, as they are from an alpha-build of the game and still worked on. Most attention went to the water (Now with splash animation! :P), demolition, animations, respectively to keep RA3 true to RA2s light-hearted style. This goes for the Japanese faction too.

Misc

-Game menu is cartoonish and quite moody, with a great soundtrack to boot
    -Neil Young, head of the studio, mentioned that an SC2 designer worked on RA3 before he left for Blizzard. Now who's right, Mr. Young or Apoc, who denied this bit?
    -2 super weapons per faction are planned

smurfbizkit on
    mec2_banner2.png
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just want attack dogs back. At the beginning of every Ra2 game I turned about a few for scouting and if I was lucky enough annoying the hell out of my opponent by parking on outside of his barracks, or near the uh.. free money refineries

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    .... and yeah, Dark Reign was also awesome. Man, I miss all those RTS..

I loved how you could amass artillery and hit any corner of the map with it, at insane distances.

Motherfucking scarabs, haha I can't believe I just remembered the unit name.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "-Slower pace to prevent rushing and base crawling.". This is just plain stupid.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "-Slower pace to prevent rushing and base crawling.". This is just plain stupid.
    Its really not, have you played CNC3? That was its major issue. The game was way to fast, you could finish a game in 5min if you wanted. Hopefully they are shooting for 15min games, like a SC match. Seriously it sounds like they are taking a 180 turn from CNC3 as far as pace, and design goes. Which is great IMO, because really CNC3, as it is now, isn't that great. But Hopefully Kanes Wrath changes that.

I think its pretty clear that they used CNC3 as a testing bed for RA3.

I actually like the generals idea, and I never thought I would. Whats extremely exciting is that Yuri isn't dead. I would probably die if they made ANOTHER Yuri's revenge ha ha. But this time it would be a 4 way struggle between the Soviets, the Empire, the Allies, and now Yuri!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Its really not, have you played CNC3? That was its major issue. The game was way to fast, you could finish a game in 5min if you wanted. Hopefully they are shooting for 15min games, like a SC match.

....SC matches last 15 minutes? Thats news to me. SC was the rushiest rushfest to ever rush the internet.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Its really not, have you played CNC3? That was its major issue. The game was way to fast, you could finish a game in 5min if you wanted. Hopefully they are shooting for 15min games, like a SC match.

....SC matches last 15 minutes? Thats news to me. SC was the rushiest rushfest to ever rush the internet.

That is pretty true. I didn't play that way with most of my friends, but random online matches were often rushes. However if you watch any of the professional matches there is almost always a rush right away. The games end up being whether the rush in the first 2 minutes worked.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah. It doesn't seem like people understand what rushes are and how they work, for the most part. Most rushes aren't even rushes, they're harassment. You get this out as fast as you possibly can because that's when harassment is the most effective. You want the other guy to struggle and be on the defensive, giving you free reign over the map. If it just so happens that the other player sucks dicks and dies to your harassment, well then good. Your skill easily overcame his.

This takes place in the form of a bunch of attack bikes, shadows, seekers, pitbulls, gattling tanks, dragon tanks, rocket/terror technicals, rockvees, chinooks full of shit, etc.

You shouldn't really expect these things to end the game against a decent player. Lots of shitty players out there, though. And they end up whining. But you get two good players matched up, and it goes into late game with a constant tug of war of attack/defense and it's beautiful.

What are rushes exactly? Hell if I know.. Maybe exactly what I just described.

I'm just tired of "rushing" being looked at as this godawful no-skill tactic used by noobs to get easy wins.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well I tend to keep the two terms separate really, I find there to be a large difference between "rushing" and "early harassment"

Rushing IMO is balls to the wall spam until they quit tactics. Like, zerglings in SC, there was a BO that would get Zerglings out ASAP and your whole mission was to just keep making 'lings and sending them at the dudes base. If he was any good, he would have ways to stop that after a while, or would have just prepared for your rush with Fire Bats.

But in some cases, like CNC3 in its early days, you could use this kind of "zerg-rush" spam tactic with Nod and win, mainly because there wasn't anything you could build that early to stop the tanks. You could do this about as fast as a player could get attack bikes out, but it was 1000% more effective then attack bikes every could have been.

I'm all for having units that get in to a base early, and fuck up enough stuff to give you a lead. Attack Bikes are a good example from CNC3. They couldn't win a match but they could really make your start a pain if you didn't have an answer ready right away. I mean, basic Anti Infantry towers proved effective against them.

By the looks of it though, RA3 will have a pretty limited group of units that can make a quick and effective strike that early. Mainly because the fastest way to a base would be over water (most likely), which you won't have access too vary early on.

Early battles in RA2 never had a huge amount of harassment either. The only thing that stands out in my mind was the Tera-drone. Maybe some Cuban Terrorists in a flack track also. But other then that, you didn't have any go to units that could get in and really slow down your production early in a game. Not to mention, you had the option of starting with units, which really helped keep people out of your base at the start of a match.

I doubt there going to remove rushing, or make it imposable. It definitely wont be as effective as it is in CNC3 right now though. CNC games have always been about harvester harassment more then base harassment in my mind anyway.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Right. Well that's a very thin vague line between rushing and spamming. Sounds to me like you view rushing as just early game spamming (and attacking with said spam).

That's all largely due to balance issues, though. Early scorps were too powerful so people spammed them and won. Rocket guys were trash at the time so they were not a good counter. Then pitbulls were awesome and crushed rocket guys as well as scorps. Too powerful. Got spammed. etc etc etc.

I really hope RA3 allows for some fun harassment and none of this turtling bullshit lol.

TheBog on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I really don't like the SAGE engine ...

Wow, three sides? I'm surprised - I was expecting the tried n' true commies vs yankees.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So guys, I just got my copy of PC Gamer. Allow me to give you the highlights(based on what I saw people talking about in here)

-Attack dogs are back, they mentioned allied German Shepherds specifically. Soviet Siberian huskies have been replaced by armored bears.
    -Tanya will be making a return, but she will be voiced/portrayed by a different actress.
    -Brand new graphics engine, named RNA.
    -The "Hell March" theme will be updated for RA3.
    -Mirage tank can now disguise itself as an enemy unit, as well as turning nearby allied units invisible.

Last Son on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Soviet Siberian huskies have been replaced by armored bears.
    I want this game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    I want this game.

This game just shot up to the top of the fucking list for me.

The top.

edit: omfg armored bears are you serious

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    So guys, I just got my copy of PC Gamer. Allow me to give you the highlights(based on what I saw people talking about in here)

-Attack dogs are back, they mentioned allied German Shepherds specifically. Soviet Siberian huskies have been replaced by armored bears.
    -Tanya will be making a return, but she will be voiced/portrayed by a different actress.
    -Mirage tank can now disguise itself as an enemy unit, as well as turning nearby allied units invisible.
    scans!? SCANS!?! PLLLEAASSSEE!!?!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want this game.

The best part of the Red Alert series is, when someone says something like:

"They've replace Soviet Siberian huskies with Armored Bears"

Everyone just nods their heads and says "Sounds plausible".

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Last Son wrote:
    I want this game.

The best part of the Red Alert series is, when someone says something like:

"They've replace Soviet Siberian huskies with Armored Bears"

Everyone just nods their heads and says "Sounds plausible".

Believe, or else the bear will eat you.
    RawrBear.jpg

I don't have a scanner, but I do have a shiny new digital camera I've been wanting to use.
    Spoilered for TEH HUGE.
    S1050049.jpg
    S1050050.jpg
    S1050051.jpg
    S1050052.jpg
    S1050053.jpg
    S1050054.jpg

Last Son on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    Interesting story they have this time. Going back in time to kill Einstein after he kills Hitler? Oh hey Japan.

Yeah, that could work. I still really like the whole Philadelphia experiment thing that was going on with the first one though. Would be neat if they tied the new one to some kind of tinfoil hat myth stuff like that. Kari Wuhrer to return as Tanya maybe? Hahahahahaha... *boom*

Edit: oh ok she's not.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh shinnys! It makes it hard to read! But the images are great, that armored bear is just as cool as I expected!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Good to hear. Since it's pretty much the best piece of music made ever. Wonder if they have Frank Klepacki on board?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Having just reinstalled RA2, I hope they go back to the awesome install screens like they had before C&C3.

I just the cd in the drive, then alt tabbed to firefox. Next thing I know theres a voice going "Military Software detected, top secret clearance required!" and I'm scrambling to figure out whats going on.(The installer doesn't show up on the toolbar.)

Last Son on
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Soviet Siberian huskies have been replaced by armored bears

Im speechless with joy.

Althought i loved the serious tone of RA1. RA2 seriously fullfills another need for....gratuity. And Armored bears are gratuitous as it gets,specially if that chick with the ak47 in the short shorts has them on a leesh.

Vytae on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The man cannon? Delicious.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    are people really surprised by the term "man cannon"? I mean... Halo3 totally coined that term!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ill be voiced/portrayed by a different actress.

Shit, that's not the sage engine? Hm, oh well. Looks similar.

A buddy of mine and I decided to get in the spirit and try some RA2 LAN over XP tonight. As usual, after many hours of troubleshooting, no luck - which is a shame, because we both have our old copies :(

Daemonion on