As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's ok to post in spam threads again?

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
I see this here:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833662
Stillborn Threads
Don't post in them. These are dead on arrival, you know the kind; duplicates, blatant site-whoring, spam threads, terrible topics, ect. Go ahead and PM a mod to get it locked. If no mods are around but no one posts in the thread it will die on its own and you won't have to suffer the affront of looking at it. That is what we call a win-win right there, baby.

And I remember the sticky thread in G&T (I can't find anymore) stating that anyone posting in a spam thread for any reason would be jailed. A mod was de-modded for not enforcing this rule.

But then I see this and people are not jailed.

There's also another spam thread that was made and deleted instead of locked. I PM'ed the person that replied to the spam thread warning him of the rule and that he should delete his post. So I am unsure if he deleted the post or not, or a mod deleted the post and the thread (instead of locking it).

So is it ok to post in a spam thread without worry of being jailed? Why are some spam threads locked while others are deleted?

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on

• Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't answer your question in regards to current policy, but I'm 99% sure the reason some spam threads are deleted rather than locked is because they directly link illegal/inappropriate content.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    I sent both those people a strongly worded warning. I'm not going to jail someone outside of my forum. I'm sorry you don't like that, but hey.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    oh and that thread was locked because I was going to yell at those guys in it but instead I PM'd them because I'm such a nice guy.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    CT IS NICE TO PEOPLE IN G&T! IT IS THE END TIMES!

Any idea why the other thread was deleted?
    I can't answer your question in regards to current policy, but I'm 99% sure the reason some spam threads are deleted rather than locked is because they directly link illegal/inappropriate content.

I can understand that, but I normally see [link removed]... is the [link removed] or thread deletion under the discretion of the mod, or is there a set rule as to weather or not a thread is deleted or edited and locked?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    They're all (by me at least) trashcanned unless someone posted in them and I want to add a "don't post in these threads" note for people to see.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So it's mods descretion, and warnings you give are hard to see if you delete the thread.

Thanks for clearing everything up.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Reposting this from the brainstorming thread, since it's busy with decisions on dissing the dead.
    Concerning the immediate jailing of people posting in spamthreads, I'd like to suggest that only one post is allowed, if they use a keyword that mods can easily search for, to remove such threads. Something like "spamlockplz", where using the word outside such threads is jailable.

This is an alternative to all the mods being spammed back with requests to lock the spamthreads. Variations on this include the first poster being the only one to PM the mods about the thread.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    GSM wrote:
    Reposting this from the brainstorming thread, since it's busy with decisions on dissing the dead.
    Concerning the immediate jailing of people posting in spamthreads, I'd like to suggest that only one post is allowed, if they use a keyword that mods can easily search for, to remove such threads. Something like "spamlockplz", where using the word outside such threads is jailable.

This is an alternative to all the mods being spammed back with requests to lock the spamthreads. Variations on this include the first poster being the only one to PM the mods about the thread.

Some forums have a tag that lets you post in a thread without bumping it. That's like, the "everybody wins" situation. Mockery gets to be had and the thread isn't bumped.

The chance of implementation occurring though... somewhat miniscule.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc, I don't see the need for that kind of feature when people can just as easily not post in the thread.
    PikaPuff wrote:
    So it's mods descretion, and warnings you give are hard to see if you delete the thread.

Thanks for clearing everything up.

My view (just mine) is that you enforce the rule strictly when it's a problem. The rule was enforced VERY strictly when spam threads were reaching two pages with people racing to see how many times they could post in it before it got locked.

Now maybe one in five spam threads has maybe one or two posts in them, and I get PM'd within 20 seconds of a spam thread being made. Therefore, since people have wised up and it's not a huge problem, I don't see the need (personally, because I don't do the jail thing) to do anything more than send them a shitty PM.

Tube on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc, I don't see the need for that kind of feature when people can just as easily not post in the thread.

*shrug* Just saying it'd be a comprimise between the two camps of "Posting in spam threads is for the devil" and "But it's soooooo much fun to post in them." Remember that G&T has nearly a 4 year history of archiving spam threads that are mocked/careened into the netherworld, that's what people miss I think. Whatever though. On my personal list of "things that need to be fixed with the forum" that ranks somewhere around spot #50.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Posting in spam threads wasn't really serious when we got maybe one a week. They other day I personally locked ten. It's a bigger problem.

Tube on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    In an awesome hypothetical reality, implementing a link-through counter/tracker for links could allow mods to jail any user that actually clicked through a spam thread link. It probably wouldn't help any, but if the amount is increacing because of people jokingly investigating these spampages, it would almost be worth it.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    GSM wrote:
    In an awesome hypothetical reality, implementing a link-through counter/tracker for links could allow mods to jail any user that actually clicked through a spam thread link. It probably wouldn't help any, but if the amount is increacing because of people jokingly investigating these spampages, it would almost be worth it.

That would be... interesting.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It shouldn't be considered okay to post in spam threads.
    They are NOT mini-chat threads.

Accualt on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    GSM wrote:

and what about those who accidentally click the link? like anyone who uses a touchpad on a laptop (like mine, which registers a tap as a left click)?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    how about let's not argue about the implementation of imaginary features that are never going to happen ever

Tube on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    how about let's not argue about the implementation of imaginary features that are never going to happen ever
    God damnit Tube we need fucking [pie][/pie] tags, it can't be that hard!

JAEF on