As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

1565758596062»

• HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sometime tomorrow, might we be able to get a group organized for the Synapse or Sister Psyche task forces? Been meaning to get those badges taken care of for a bit now.

Hylianbunny on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My blaster's 22, isn't that in the level range for synapse? I'd go.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bluddo wrote: »
    HJFrew wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    This was posted as a fix for laptop issues, but when I played with my ATI card it helped out as well, add this to the Target bar in the shortcut to the game:

-useTexEnvCombine

After turning all the settings down, it gave me a pretty fantastic framerate.

Thank you so much for this, my framerate has doubled.

What does it do? I'm at work and I haven't had a chance to run home and try it. I too play on an ATI card and long for an improved framerate.

I have no idea what it does, but playing CoH on my laptop is actually enjoyable now.

Yeah, same here. I was playing CoX for a few months and got sick of the shitty framerate so I dug through Google for about six hours and unearthed this little gem.

No clue what it does, the original page had an explanation but I don't plan on doing another Google-hunt for six hours.

Does it make the game look any worse?

Drool on
  • BluddoBluddo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    This was posted as a fix for laptop issues, but when I played with my ATI card it helped out as well, add this to the Target bar in the shortcut to the game:

-useTexEnvCombine

What does it do? I'm at work and I haven't had a chance to run home and try it. I too play on an ATI card and long for an improved framerate.

I have no idea what it does, but playing CoH on my laptop is actually enjoyable now.

Yeah, same here. I was playing CoX for a few months and got sick of the shitty framerate so I dug through Google for about six hours and unearthed this little gem.

No clue what it does, the original page had an explanation but I don't plan on doing another Google-hunt for six hours.

I didn't notice anything different.

Of course due to being pissed at the damnedable framerate I had all my graphics settings turned down before-hand, still I didn't notice anything worse.

Bluddo on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

-useTexEnvCombine

And is it just for laptops?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008

-useTexEnvCombine

And is it just for laptops?
    It was originally posted as working "just for laptops" but I tried it on my desktop and was amazed by the improvement.

Bluddo on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It does seem to have helped me somewhat. Whatever weird graphical issue I was having cleared up without my doing anything, and my framerate does seem a bit higher.

I don't know exactly (or even basically) what the command does, but it seems like it changes the way the OpenGL environment works, which leads me to believe it works on desktops just as well as laptops.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shit... Dammit, I think I'll join up CO but I just hope that they can keep their promises this time.

Though I wonder if NanKnight can get a Stiltman like villain as his uber-nemesis.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It does seem to have helped me somewhat. Whatever weird graphical issue I was having cleared up without my doing anything, and my framerate does seem a bit higher.

I don't know exactly (or even basically) what the command does, but it seems like it changes the way the OpenGL environment works, which leads me to believe it works on desktops just as well as laptops.

Hmm that just makes me wonder what it does even more

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    The only company I have seen that delivered exactly the MMORPG they promised was Blizzard, with WoW.

Every other MMORPG basically ever promises more than it actually has.
    Even Blizzard announced a bunch of ambitious features that never made it into the game. This is par for the course with all of game design, not just MMO creation.

My real worry is that, aside from several neat-sounding ideas, this really is basically CoX v2. If Cryptic does what they usually do and wind up removing a lot of the concepts before launch because of "balance difficulties" or "technical issues", there's going to be little difference between this and their former project besides maybe a more action-oriented style of combat that sounds like it could get dreadfully boring after about two hours. That is, if they don't scrap that, too.

Liquid Ghost on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    It would've been nice if Cryptic actually concentrated it's efforts into CoX. I won't get my hopes up for Champions.

Aren't they not allowed to touch CoX anymore? I thought NCSoft bought them completely out.

KiTA on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    The only company I have seen that delivered exactly the MMORPG they promised was Blizzard, with WoW.
    Every other MMORPG basically ever promises more than it actually has.
    Even Blizzard announced a bunch of ambitious features that never made it into the game. This is par for the course with all of game design, not just MMO creation.
    Hero classes will be out any day now, guys!

Glal on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And life quests! Those, too!

Liquid Ghost on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did they ever promise unique, non-recycled models for Tauren druids? It just pissed me off no end how they could spend months working on a new instance, but couldn't be arsed to give some guy a week to make an entire class feel more unique.

[edit] What were life quests again?

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    Quests that started at an early level and continued straight to 60. These were abandoned due to "technical limitations" only to show up in LOTRO and free Korean MMOs with a fraction of the budget and inferior game engines.

Liquid Ghost on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Technical Limitation, as in "Technically, we'd have to pay some guy to do this. And for what? When our numbers run low, maybe we'll throw this out again and see if the amount of effort would bring in enough resubs. Or maybe we'll just order another pizza. Probably pizza."

Maybe the pizza delivery guy can write them.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • CitrusCitrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

-useTexEnvCombine

Some googling brought up a few explanations of what it does, "unfortunately this disables certain graphics in the game, for example the water will not look as nice as it should, and the metal effect a wont show any difference from normal stuff." and "This TEMPORARY addition to your COH shortcut will force the game to render in a simpler rendering path, and should clear up some of the more serious performance issues until a more permanent solution is found." which was back in '05, so much for being temporary. :roll:

Citrus on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The create your own nemesis feature is probably one of the best selling points to me, at least.
    Oh hell yes. I can't seem to get into Nemester, so this will do nicely.

I just hope they give everyone capes from day one. Capes are integral. Must have capes.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • RagRag Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some screens from mucking about the last couple days:

A typical day for Pb:
    duck1fx8.png

duck2yc4.png

Apparently rooted only goes so far:
    rootedlolcv3.png

RIKTI DANCE PARTY:
    riktidancepartyce6.png

riktidanceparty2ab3.png

TOO MUCH PARTYING:
    allpartiedoutjk0.png

The Honoree gets dishonored:
    howtoinsultriktina3.png

Getting ready for the wedding:
    weddingtimecz8.png

Rag on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rag wrote: »
    Some screens from mucking about the last couple days:

Apparently rooted only goes so far:
    rootedlolcv3.png

That is a fantastic rock penis.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So this "45 days instead of 30 if you come back now" thing... basically somebody sends me a code, I use it when I reactivate my account, we each get 15 free days? Cause hell I might as well come back for awhile, see what's what. The faster leveling is probably what sold it for me.

EDIT cause I just thought of a question: Even defragmented, things were still pretty iffy with Super Jump... I know my harddrive's a 7.6kRPM or so (Somewhere around that speed), but is there anything else I can do to improve loading while jumping around like a fusion of Mario and Sonic?

Digito on
    edited February 2008
    If you're interested, PM me and I'll get right on it.

edit: here's the details.

"When your friend reactivates their game account for a minimum one month of game time with a credit card or a 30-day or 60-day game time card, they will be invited to enter the Reactivation Credit Serial Code. Once this process is complete, you will each be credited 15 days of free game time to your City of Heroes®/City of Villains® accounts. IMPORTANT: They must enter this code in order for you OR them to receive any credit. As long as they do enter the code, you will split the 30 day credit."

Hylianbunny on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys, I used to play this way way way back in the day.

Is there any way I could get a free trial?

Greeper on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So who wants to make the next thread? Someone else can do the next one.

Gear Girl on
    edited February 2008
    If no one else steps up, I'll take care of it.

I'd toss you a trial, Greeper, but my last two are being kept for a couple of friends that just don't have time yet. Sorry. :(

Hylianbunny on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have referrals. PM me your e-mail if you want one.

CyberJackal on
    edited February 2008
    Are the friends you are giving them to going to play before the first one(or I guess two) you sent expires?

Gear Girl on
  • The Cheshire CatThe Cheshire Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Digito wrote: »
    So this "45 days instead of 30 if you come back now" thing... basically somebody sends me a code, I use it when I reactivate my account, we each get 15 free days? Cause hell I might as well come back for awhile, see what's what. The faster leveling is probably what sold it for me.

EDIT cause I just thought of a question: Even defragmented, things were still pretty iffy with Super Jump... I know my harddrive's a 7.6kRPM or so (Somewhere around that speed), but is there anything else I can do to improve loading while jumping around like a fusion of Mario and Sonic?

If you have to stream off the hard drive, it's always going to be slow. RAM and video memory will be much faster. If you can't afford new hardware, turning down textures should reduce the memory footprint of the game, so you'll get more out of the ram you have (Although it's still a horrible game for memory leaks).

Also, use the command /unloadgfx often.

The Cheshire Cat on
    edited February 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Are the friends you are giving them to going to play before the first one(or I guess two) you sent expires?

It's hard to say, but most likely, yeah; so I just need to hold on to them long enough to be sure.

Looks like CyberJackal's got it covered, anyway.

Hylianbunny on
    edited February 2008

It's hard to say, but most likely, yeah; so I just need to hold on to them long enough to be sure.

CyberJackal's got us all covered...sexually.

Gear Girl on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

CyberJackal's got us all covered...sexually.

:winky:

CyberJackal on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    cyberjackel does not have ME covered sexually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited February 2008
    That's what you think.

Hylianbunny on
    edited February 2008
    This is so strange. My fan on my video card is working perfectly fine and I just cleaned the bejesus out of my computer and it is still idling at 72 degrees. When I try to play games the catalyst control center tells me I'm running too hot and that it needs to reduce the clock speed. I guess I'll go check and make sure one of the other fans isn't fucked and heating up the entire box but I swear I checked them all.

Gear Girl on
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure when I'll be able to renew my account. It MIGHT be tomorrow but things keep coming up and I've got the hero's itch....FOR HEROICS.

...can I get a referral for the 10-day trial thing?

Bluddo on
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure when I'll be able to renew my account. It MIGHT be tomorrow but things keep coming up and I've got the hero's itch....FOR HEROICS.

So do you just want a free trial or an invite a friend back thing?

Drool on
    edited February 2008

The free trial. The invite a friend thing requires you to buy a month beforehand anyway and I have no money at all right now.

Bluddo on
    edited February 2008
    I'll get putting together the new thread (read: copypasting most of this one) shortly, since no one else has stepped up. Expect it within 5-10 minutes.

Hylianbunny on
    edited February 2008

The free trial. The invite a friend thing requires you to buy a month beforehand anyway and I have no money at all right now.

PM me your email and I'll get you one.

Drool on
    edited February 2008
    New thread's up; OP is still being worked on a bit, though.

Hylianbunny on
This discussion has been closed.