As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jeph Loeb: Destoryer of Marvel Universe?!?

2»

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    actually Loeb is on record as saying Thor talks like that now simply because he liked it better.

Which is so stupid.

The needless redesigns of the characters are really what bug me the most.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    damnit bale, thor was just starting to make sense to me and you had to go and ruin it.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Munch's post is true, though

I mean, Hush was a "mystery" but there was absolutely no way of figuring out who the culprit was before they were revealed.
    There's your objective metric right there.

Mysteries aren't supposed to end in an ass-pull. They're supposed to leave you saying "Oh... So that's it" where all the pieces of the puzzle fucking come together.
    I can see where you are coming from, but it seems to me like you could cite problems with Spielberg for making a big-budget epic movie starring 5 oscar winners for the same reasons (w/ the exception of the 'inane shit' one - could you point some out that is unique to loeb?)
    Funny. That is why I don't like Spielberg.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What really gets me is the little details, how they cant even get the small things right. Wasp not asian? Thor's hammer, 616 Scarlet Witch costume, Cap and Black Panther le sigh, how everyone is acting edgy dark and depressed, the YE OLDEN SHAKESPEAREAN SPEAK! Or how or why so many characters just fucking show up randomly with no explanation. Congrats Leob for ruining the Ultimates.

I can't really comment on the other thing but Scarlet Witch's costume change is address in this newest issue.
    Wolverine flashes back to talk about how Magda lived on Wundagore mountain and dressed like that and now SW is dressing the same which is apparently a big deal.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Mysteries aren't supposed to end in an ass-pull. They're supposed to leave you saying "Oh... So that's it" where all the pieces of the puzzle fucking come together.

Like Keith pointed out, Loeb isn't exactly the only person to have done this

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No, but a) we're not discussing anyone else, and b) that doesn't absolve him for it. It just makes him as much of a hack as a bunch of other piss-poor authors.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He's the worst writer in the industry right now. You all deserve it for buying his SHIT CUM!

Algertman on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can think of plenty of worse writers.

Bruce Jones
    Daniel Way
    Chris Claremont's corpse

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I can think of plenty of worse writers.

Bruce Jones
    Daniel Way
    Chris Claremont's corpse

as awful as those writers are, no, Loeb surpasses them all
    What really gets me is the little details, how they cant even get the small things right. Wasp not asian? Thor's hammer, 616 Scarlet Witch costume, Cap and Black Panther le sigh, how everyone is acting edgy dark and depressed, the YE OLDEN SHAKESPEAREAN SPEAK! Or how or why so many characters just fucking show up randomly with no explanation. Congrats Leob for ruining the Ultimates.

I can't really comment on the other thing but Scarlet Witch's costume change is address in this newest issue.
    Wolverine flashes back to talk about how Magda lived on Wundagore mountain and dressed like that and now SW is dressing the same which is apparently a big deal.

you forgot WOLVERINE FUCKED SCARLET WITCH'S MOM!

Algertman on
  • Options
    silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    silkypea wrote: »
    My point of this thread was to say for years he talked about how great DC was. I think for the most part his work with DC was great. Hush's conclusion was weak. Superman/Batman got weak but it was ok. I'm saying I think he seriously decided to work for Marvel with the point of doing it half ass. I am beginning to think that he just decided "Alright how much can I fuck this up. Ok I got it take an amazing series and make it completely fucking terrible." I'm beginning to think this was the actually intent.

So anyone now think that Silkypea is just like the ultimate troll? Because I think we've all been had.

what?

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    The storyline that finally made me realize how weak Loeb's writing could be was his Superman/Batman arc "With a Vengeance!" There were five issues of crazy crap: a rip-off of the Avengers/Ultimates from another universe accusing Superman of murder, Bizarro and Batzarro running around, all of the different incarnations of Supergirl working together, etc. and then the big pay-off was that Mr. Mxyzptlk and the Joker were playing a wacky magic chess game. Ed McGuinness' artwork was pretty but that was about all it had going for it.

DMAC on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    hey wait, there's a rule against this kind of thread. exactly against this kind of thread

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2008
    I don't ever want to see this kind of thread ever again.

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.