As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Policies & Procedures Brainstorming Thread

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Barrakketh wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Most of what Terrorbyte does isn't trolling (although I don't really read G&T so I'm basing this off of his posts in GV), it's just being a dick. There's a difference.
    We don't have an unwritten "faggotry clause" to deal with the latter?

No, we have a "grow the fuck up and deal with it" clause.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes.

I'm trying to deside if this is the greatest or the worst metaphor ever.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes.

Vaginas with poop in them...is that an old fetish or did CT just create it?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

It's from Team America

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Drez wrote:

It's from Team America

No it isn't, I wrote it. God, why is it so hard to believe that I just created the greatest post ever off the cuff? It's not like it's the first time I've done it.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Haven't seen Team America.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

It's basically a giant rip off of my posts.

Tube on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Drez wrote:

It's from Team America

No it isn't, I wrote it. God, why is it so hard to believe that I just created the greatest post ever off the cuff? It's not like it's the first time I've done it.
    FUCK YEAH.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

CT is the greatest American patriot.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

That sucks, you should sue!

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I wrote the Matrix series.

Sorry about the last two. I was kind of drunk at the time and this Catholic girl told me she's sleep with me if I included allusions to the Bible.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I wrote the Matrix series.

Sorry about the last two. I was kind of drunk at the time and this Catholic girl told me she's sleep with me if I included allusions to the Bible.

Man, I would never admit to that, not even if it got you laid.

Drez on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Drez wrote:

It's from Team America

If it helps. I believe you....

are a lying sack of shit.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Filler wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Drez wrote:

It's from Team America

If it helps. I believe you....

are a lying sack of shit.
    He totally is.

JJ on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is it possible to just have a 'report post to mods' button. or just re-encourage the mentality of "PM a mod if you've got a problem, don't try and shout the
    'offender' down yourself.

so that if you have a problem with what someone says, thinks its lacking in taste, trolling, whatever, then you can press the button, fill out a box and explain why you think its bad and just move on and let the mods make the judgement

that way the mods can decide if its trolling or merely dissenting opinion, not the mob-mentality. Because regardless of whether or not someone is being a troll or just merely holding an unpopular opinion. All it takes is just one person to fire back with "STFU get out get out" for the firestorm to start. Because if the guy IS a troll, then you're just feeding him, If the person does just simply hold an unpopular opinion, and you fire back with flames, you're squelching civil discourse.

Don't call someone a troll, even if they are, just report and move on, ignore the guy if you have to.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    VoodooV wrote:
    Is it possible to just have a 'report post to mods' button. or just re-encourage the mentality of "PM a mod if you've got a problem, don't try and shout the
    'offender' down yourself.

so that if you have a problem with what someone says, thinks its lacking in taste, trolling, whatever, then you can press the button, fill out a box and explain why you think its bad and just move on and let the mods make the judgement

that way the mods can decide if its trolling or merely dissenting opinion, not the mob-mentality. Because regardless of whether or not someone is being a troll or just merely holding an unpopular opinion. All it takes is just one person to fire back with "STFU get out get out" for the firestorm to start. Because if the guy IS a troll, then you're just feeding him, If the person does just simply hold an unpopular opinion, and you fire back with flames, you're squelching civil discourse.

Don't call someone a troll, even if they are, just report and move on, ignore the guy if you have to.

That would be ideal...pretty much my thoughts on the matter too.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We had a report button back on M2, but I think it's implementation at this point would require more coding than we can rely on.

Tube on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    We had a report button back on M2, but I think it's implementation at this point would require more coding than we can rely on.
    PMs and linking are easy enough.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    it doesn't have to be a report button since we have PMs. It just seems like this forum has a mentality of "well its ok to flame someone if they're being stupid"

who decides what is stupid?

I'd say make a rule of "either shut up and be civil, or PM a mod"

VoodooV on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    VoodooV wrote:
    it doesn't have to be a report button since we have PMs. It just seems like this forum has a mentality of "well its ok to flame someone if they're being stupid"

who decides what is stupid?

See: D&D: Cannibal thread and D&D: Soul thread.

Specifically Casket and Morlok

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    God-JesusGod-Jesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Maybe we could vote for new mods every six months or so?

God-Jesus on
    Oh man, I remember during a car trip I was getting ready to throw up and my horrible aunt gave me a Squeezeit bottle and told me to "puke in that". :(
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    God-Jesus wrote:
    We've been over it. Would do more harm than good.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    God-Jesus wrote:
    Because this works so well when selecting responsible people for Homecoming King and Queen, right?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Look, I'll admit. I giggled at those.
    Yeah those are pretty funny.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, I was going to add in my own commentary about the topics at large such as mod rotation (which seemed to die somewhere around page 20) and character assassination. The problem with that is I only inhabit the "island in it of itself" PAX forum, and as such have no business trying to shape a fire that I really have no part in. All that aside, there are a couple of things I would like to throw out:

1) If this thread is going to be of any use for the masses at large, it needs a summary at the beginning. I sat here and read all 38 pages because I'm not feeling well and can't sleep, but all I could think about was when Lewis Black talked about his hate for health clubs and treadmills and said while on a treadmill, "...and all I could think about was, I'll never fucking get there."

and 2) Given the subject matter currently at discussion I'm not sure if this is too specific, or too far outside the scope, to be brought up here. Can we have something of an "official PA sub-forum wiki." I use the term official in a lose sense to basically include hosting on the penny-arcade.com domain and hardware and to control the look and feel of it so it fits in with the PA color scheme (and not look like every other white page clean slate looking wiki out there). Something like this would be a great help for the PAX forum so that concrete knowledge formed in the threads has a place to stay away from the constant shifting of discussion (the Super Trip threads are a good example of this). This may also be a way to help combat the problem of too many stickies, but that's something people that use the other sub-forums need to decide. To cap this off, so as not to ramble too much, the wiki should be moderated and not be writable by just anyone (not necessarily by just the forum mods though).

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    God-JesusGod-Jesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    God-Jesus wrote:
    Because this works so well when selecting responsible people for Homecoming King and Queen, right?

Good argument

Assume everyone around you is callous and shallow.

This explains so much.

God-Jesus on
    Oh man, I remember during a car trip I was getting ready to throw up and my horrible aunt gave me a Squeezeit bottle and told me to "puke in that". :(
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    God-Jesus wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    God-Jesus wrote:

Good argument

This explains so much.

You are absolutely ridiculous.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    yoshamano wrote:
    snip.

For the former: Eh. Too much trouble constantly updating it. If you have something to say, just jump in.

For the latter: Start your own wiki if you think your sub forum needs one to track things. Guess what? The software is free, customizable, and the sort of webspace you need can be free or nearly free.

It's a lot more realistic than expecting anyone with PA to fill the gap for you.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    God-Jesus wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    God-Jesus wrote:

Good argument

This explains so much.

I actually agree with Thanatos' statement. I mean, the people cocky enough to say "make me a mod" and actively campaign to win a vote are generally not the ones you really want modding. Also, putting something like that to a vote could potentially divide a community rather than join them together which is the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve with the recent changes.

It seems like the real need would simply be a couple more mods, or at least some "deputy" mods to help keep the spam threads under control and keep some users in check more actively for the time being, as recent threads seem to indicate that is needed :(

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Like what? We've been hitting spam threads within minutes of them appearing, thanks to people PMing us.

(Which is totally awesome.)

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Like what? We've been hitting spam threads within minutes of them appearing, thanks to people PMing us.

More like seconds. Yesterday, I tried to report a spam thread and before I could even click on the thread link it was deleted. The total time that thread existed was probably 30 seconds.

Invisible on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Opinion! Enjoyment of reading the esoteric reasons people are banned in the banned thread is dulled these days since 90% of them are spambots. Since they aren't actual people, I vote that they stop being added to the Banned thread.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Opinion! Enjoyment of reading the esoteric reasons people are banned in the banned thread is dulled these days since 90% of them are spambots. Since they aren't actual people, I vote that they stop being added to the Banned thread.

Yeah, a few mods are of the same opinion. I don't bother to report it in the Monkey Den.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Yeah, a few mods are of the same opinion. I don't bother to report it in the Monkey Den.
    Neither do I.

I am of the same opinion.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Neither do I.

fourth'd

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    darleysam wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Neither do I.

fourth'd

you aren't a mod.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Neither do I.

fourth'd
    you aren't a mod.
    And this thread isn't limited to mods' input. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Neither do I.

fourth'd
    you aren't a mod.
    And this thread isn't limited to mods' input. :P

Yes, but everyone else who was talking about adding spambots to the banned thread was a mod. it ruined the symmetry.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006

Is there a more immediate way to contact the mods (MSN, AIM) that is guaranteed to get their attention?

edit: Totally serious with this one. I hate to be a party pooper, but I PM'd three different mods yesterday about a thread that was being derailed in D&D. I made sure that they were online first before attempting to contact them, but no one ever opened my mail; they just sat there in my outbox, waiting like children at a bus stop in winter. Unfortunately, the derailing continued for about 7 pages before ElJeffe locked that shit up.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Oh definitely. I was just going by the fact that more of them appearing likely was making alot of work for you folks. I didn't mean due to lack of response on your part at all.

Lindsay Lohan on