As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Play this Disc, put it in an Xbox 360 Console..?

TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
I rented Assassins Creed about 30 minutes ago, pop it into the system and BOOM, I am told to Play this disc, put it in an Xbox 360 Console.

There are no visible scratches or anything of the like on the disk.. any ideas on what my issue is?

Edit: I also rented Bioshock, which DOES work.

TheCrumblyCracker on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Take it out and blow on it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    RROD incoming.

Well, that's my guess.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alcohol swabs work great too.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's DVD functionality on all 360 games that will display that when you put it in a DVD player. There is also an area on the DVD that the 360 checks first to see if what is on there is an actual 360 game. Sometimes stuff gets confused when there is even the slightest bit of dust or a tiny scratch.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My copy of Gears of War does this occasionally. Basically it isn't immediately recognizing it as a game disc, but rather a DVD. Then the DVD playback app launches, sees that it's actually a game, and gives you that message.

Take it out and put it back in, or start the console with the game in and launch the game from the dashboard instead. That should do it, otherwise maybe the disc if VERY screwed.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It can also be a problem with your disc drive starting to go. If you're still under warranty, send it in before it (possibly) gets worse.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My Halo 3 disc just started to do this. Also get "Unplayable Disc" sometimes. Never had a RROD before so I'm a little worried. Every other game I own works fine though... hmmm. It does work if I give it some time, if I set it to launch game automatically it usually works if the console hasn't been on for an hour or so.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's a symptom of a bad disc for sure. My copy of GH2 has a small hairline crack in it that creates this error once in awhile.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    actually I got this a lot from Rock Band (2 separate discs) before my XBOX RROD'd.

it's funny the hardware is so borked, it doesn't even know what kind of machine it is anymore.

it's like..

*PLEASE INSERT INTO AN XBOX 360*

and I'm like..

dude.... that's you.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man the 360 will tear your discs up if you aren't careful.

It's like it has a lot of self-loathing for it's own existence.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The 360 is about a week out of the box, must be the disc blagh! Thanks for the assistance.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got this a lot in NCAA 2007 before I got my DREs on my 2nd and 3rd 360s.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DysonDyson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got this a lot in NCAA 2007 before I got my DREs on my 2nd and 3rd 360s.

I got this alot on that game too, but my Xbox 360 never ended up with permanent problems. I chalkled it up to the game being buggy. (it's been a while too, that was my 1st game)

Dyson on
    GSP+11.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had this happen to me as well. It most likely means your drive is starting to die. You should be good for awhile but watch your warranty as DREs are only covered under the one year warranty.

Make sure you have your 360 horizontal as a safety precaution. When the disc drives die they can sometimes grind the disc. If you have the current BenQ series DVD drive you'll hear noises first without the disc actually being damaged. So you just have to stop the game and get your disc out and you'll be ok.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think I must be the luckiest 360 owner ever. I've only ever had one problem with a 360 and that was an RROD after about a year and a half of ownership. That cost me no money to be repaired so I think I'm luckier than most. What this guy's 360 is doing reminds me of what my 1st gen PS2 started doing last year.

ZombieAsuma on