As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spring into Action Figures!

• Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    That Black Adam is looking a little bulgy...

But I'll still get one.

And is the one with the white hair and glasses supposed to be Gordon?

Yep.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have almost all the G1 Transformer Robot Heroes, but I daren't buy any of the Marvel versions...

But... I can't. I know it'll be a downward spiral from which there is no recovery.

DarkPrimus on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    The Super Hero Squad stuff is really nice - especially since it's the same scale as the Starwars Galactic Heroes and the Transformers line. There's an Indiana Jones line coming out too. My son has a bunch of the SW and Spidey ones. The (movie based) Doc Oc and Sandman ones are especially cool.

i gotta say, i find the general style of the line extremely unappealing. i guess i don't really like the chibi kind of thing they've got going on.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    Herby wrote: »
    The Super Hero Squad stuff is really nice - especially since it's the same scale as the Starwars Galactic Heroes and the Transformers line. There's an Indiana Jones line coming out too. My son has a bunch of the SW and Spidey ones. The (movie based) Doc Oc and Sandman ones are especially cool.

i gotta say, i find the general style of the line extremely unappealing. i guess i don't really like the chibi kind of thing they've got going on.

it's not chibi it's kiddy

there's a difference

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008
    keith you're chibi

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To be chibi those eyes would have to be about 3 times larger.

august on
    edited February 2008
    either way i don't think i'd like it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the idea of a collectible series that isn't sculpted in Bruce Timm's JLU style, but a lot of those look weird.

Lux on
    edited February 2008
    Some good DC Direct news and pics!

Kevin Maguire control art for the JLI line

Man, I still don't know why they got rid of Black Canary's old duds.

O_o

And in this weeks ToyFare magazine (quoted from a dccomics.com poster, so incoming '!'s')
    We knew a Perez History of the DC Universe series was planned, but they detail who is going to be in the first few waves: classic Batman, original Green Arrow, Blue Devil, classic Black Lightning (!!!!!), and Manhunter (Simonson version).

Also listed are: Silver Age Braniac, the Creeper, Professor Zoom, Deadman, Captain Atom, Superman (you knew he was going to turn up), Flash, Silver Age Martian Manhunter, purple costume Elongated Man, and Nightwing and Flamebird (Superman and Jimmy Olson classic versions).

All gold baby..gold. DCD is finally filling in the missing pieces to a giant roster of characters.

Bad Karma on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Some good DC Direct news and pics!

Kevin Maguire control art for the JLI line

Man, I still don't know why they got rid of Black Canary's old duds.

O_o

And in this weeks ToyFare magazine (quoted from a dccomics.com poster, so incoming '!'s')
    We knew a Perez History of the DC Universe series was planned, but they detail who is going to be in the first few waves: classic Batman, original Green Arrow, Blue Devil, classic Black Lightning (!!!!!), and Manhunter (Simonson version).

Also listed are: Silver Age Braniac, the Creeper, Professor Zoom, Deadman, Captain Atom, Superman (you knew he was going to turn up), Flash, Silver Age Martian Manhunter, purple costume Elongated Man, and Nightwing and Flamebird (Superman and Jimmy Olson classic versions).

All gold baby..gold. DCD is finally filling in the missing pieces to a giant roster of characters.

Wow, Simonson's Manhunter has one of the worst costumes of all time.

They need an action feature like the old Super Powers figures where you squeeze his arms and his stupid leg braces run into each other as he tries to run.

DMAC on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In the context of those stories, that costume works. Each part is a separate weapon thingee.

If you haven't read those stories, I'd highly recommend them.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    I want every figure in the JLI line

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008

Wow, Simonson's Manhunter has one of the worst costumes of all time.

Assault on David Byrne Mountain

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In the context of those stories, that costume works. Each part is a separate weapon thingee.

If you haven't read those stories, I'd highly recommend them.

Please explain the gratuitous sleeves. And even if that costume is explained in the story as being composed of weapons or whatever, it still looks terrible. A suit full of weapons can (theoretically at least) look cool and menacing and whatnot. That just looks horrible.

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2008
    It's explained in the story - I think my Manhunter scans survived my last hard drive dying, so I'll post them when I find them. Also, you have to remember that the costume was designed in the early/mid 1970s.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Here we go.

Spoilered for size:
    manhunter198431ll9.jpg
    manhunter198400introfv6.jpg
    The yellow text block is from the forward Archie Goodwin wrote for the 1984 collected edition of the story.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I can understand the "not wanting to look like every other hero out there" thing, but those giant sleeves and the huge bulky metal braces all around his lower legs just look like the most impractical things ever, especially on a character who's clearly supposed to be a relatively gritty vigilante. Even that last panel where he's kneeling would be nearly impossible with the braces the way they're drawn.

Definitely one of those things that could only work in still panels. I don't imagine there are many Manhunter cosplayers out there...

DMAC on
    edited February 2008
    It's really dated and strange looking.

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2008
    I was positive there was a panel in the story explaining the blue thingees on his calves, but I didn't find it. I guess I'm getting old.

Anyhow, I think part of it is just Simonson's style. And the long sleeves do come into play early in the story (they save him from a slashing tiger). I guess I'd just look at it as similar to Todd McFarlane/Kelley Jones capes on Spawn and Batman.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Anyway, just one of those costumes that's always driven me crazy.

I think the History of the DCU figure that I'm most interested in is (I'm assuming) classic Blue Devil. I have a soft spot for the guy since I inherited a batch of Blue Devil comics from a neighbor in my early comic-hungry days.

DMAC on
    edited March 2008
    My Takara Batman Begins 12" (re-released) finally showed up today. Since I suck at taking pictures, here's a whole bunch of someone elses. This thing is a real dust magnet, but he was worth the purchase.

Bad Karma on
    edited March 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    Anyway, just one of those costumes that's always driven me crazy.

I think the History of the DCU figure that I'm most interested in is (I'm assuming) classic Blue Devil. I have a soft spot for the guy since I inherited a batch of Blue Devil comics from a neighbor in my early comic-hungry days.

you know what costume has always bugged me? colossus' basic outfit. it looks fine when he's all metal, but when he's not it turns into a totally bizarro swimsuit. it's like some kind of pastel skin-tight poncho he throws on

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited March 2008
    There are a lot of strange costumes. Colossus's 80s disco strong man get up is one of them, that is for sure.

I was going to post something interesting from Toy News International, but I can't find anything that interests me.

DouglasDanger on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Low quality but I had to post these. I found some new Super-Hero Squad figures including Cable & Captain America, Doctor Octopus & Black Suit Spider-Man, Spider-Woman & Hulk, and DEADPOOL & CAPTAIN AMERICA COSTUME PUNISHER!! I thought it was funny enough when they put out a Ghost Rider & Punisher two-pack. But now I own a Captain America suit Punisher & Deadpool. Sorry for poor quality. Didn't put much effort into the pic.
    eqp4qf.jpg

ZombieAsuma on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't even tell who that is, and you told me who it is.

DarkPrimus on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "Who's the Shogun of Harlem?!"
    manhunter-2.jpg

-or-
    lastdragon3.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm thinking of picking up a few Marvel Select figures when I get my tax return check.
    The Ghost Rider one is a definite, and I haven't decided what else. If I can find any kind of Iron Fist or Nova figures, those will get the spot.

Me Too! on
    edited April 2008
    I like the Iron Fist Marvel Legends figure. Its kind of neat and not too rare.

ZombieAsuma on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    I can understand the "not wanting to look like every other hero out there" thing, but those giant sleeves and the huge bulky metal braces all around his lower legs just look like the most impractical things ever, especially on a character who's clearly supposed to be a relatively gritty vigilante. Even that last panel where he's kneeling would be nearly impossible with the braces the way they're drawn.

Definitely one of those things that could only work in still panels. I don't imagine there are many Manhunter cosplayers out there...

Tom Grummet did a redesign of Manhunter's costume for the new Manhunter, Kirk DePaul, when he worked on Power Company. Which I think looks rather cool.
    100154001qa1.jpg

Munch on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Tom Grummet did a redesign of Manhunter's comic for the new Manhunter, Kirk DePaul, when he worked on Power Company. Which I think looks rather cool.
    100154001qa1.jpg

that is kind of cool. at least it doesn't have those paper lantern framed shin boxes.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2008
    Why is Nightwing in the background of that cover? Did he play a role in that series?

ZombieAsuma on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why is Nightwing in the background of that cover? Did he play a role in that series?

Before Power Company was launched, each of the featured characters were spotlighted in a one-shot issue, with each member being paired up with an established hero. In the Manhunter story, Kirk DePaul was acting as a mercenary protecting African arms dealers, and Nightwing showed up to put the kibosh on it. He didn't have any involvement in the ongoing series.

Munch on
    edited April 2008
    Ohhh thanks. Power Company was one of those series that I saw on the shelf when I just getting back into comics and was pretty much only reading Nightwing, Batman, Batgirl, a couple of X-Men books, Star Wars Republic, and Elektra. Now that I know some stuff about the series I kind of wish I would have read it.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    1208112420044.jpg

Does anyone own this? Is it as great as the cover art would have me believe?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    it looks like "Don't Wake Daddy" but with the hulk

Garlic Bread on
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    it looks like "Don't Wake Daddy" but with the hulk

That looks great.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    After Hulk wakes up he kills you

Lux on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Curse my eight week old baby for not developing fine motor skills fast enough! I can't wait three whole years to play that!!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    After Hulk wakes up he kills you

Back to start!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really want to play that game, except I'm going to replace the game pieces with little Mr. Fantastic, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, and Black Bolt Heroclixs.

Mr Pink on
This discussion has been closed.