As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Champions online!

• H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So what's the possibility that this could be launched natively on the Mac? Blizzard can prove that it works, will others follow suit?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    things

You'll note that most of this was said before Jack got control of the Dev team.

The CoH We all know was built of the corpses of several unfinished to not even started versions of the game.

Little development progress was even made until Jack got the lead whatsis in like 2003 (might have been late 2002).

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    H*R wrote: »
    So what's the possibility that this could be launched natively on the Mac? Blizzard can prove that it works, will others follow suit?

No idea. Would the fact they want it on 360 as well as PC create problems with it working on a Mac? I don't know much about Macs in general. I suppose they might say "PC+Console is more than enough formats for us"

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They are dirty liars. There is no way in hell this game can be this awesome.

I'm going to keep my cynic on. I'm going to be extra cynical, questioning every picture and statement. Just so when it ships out, I am at least somewhat positively surprised. D:

DarkCrawler on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

No idea. Would the fact they want it on 360 as well as PC create problems with it working on a Mac? I don't know much about Macs in general. I suppose they might say "PC+Console is more than enough formats for us"

Yea, probably, most MMOs have trouble getting stuff done in time just for PCs.

Scooter on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    People really did twist his words though.

I mean, really, really, excrutiatingly painful to watch twisting. I couldn't count how many dev posts I used to see where the devs made the most simple, straightforwards statements imaginable, and people would infer all sorts of paranoid, freaked out stuff that I could only imagine interpreting if I was occasionally insane.

Maybe he deserved a little bit of it, but really, if people here interpreted my posts the way people did his on the CoX boards, I wouldn't post here anymore.
    oh so you don't want to be here anymore? well then don't be!! leave if you hate us so much!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The return on their investment probably isn't worth it. There aren't very many Mac gamers and anyone who is a die hard Mac fan but wants to game just runs Bootcamp. Blizzard did it in part because they always do it, their graphics were low enough that a PDA could run the game, the engine was based off of a pre-existing engine that ran on Pc/Mac, and they had the largest budget in MMO history.

Accualt on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/854/854285p1.html

Teaser trailer there. The combat doesn't look like an action game, looks like a fast paced standard MMORPG. Not one shot of firing on the run or dodging anything.

Cabezone on
    edited February 2008
    I agree about the combat. Maybe protracted battles will look more engaging.

It should be noted that the graphics are pure sex in motion. Lord how I do not look forward to obsessing over this game for the next 12+ months.

Accualt on
  • encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was hoping Cryptic was working on something entirely new. The concept art under Cryptic's In Development page had me thinking a Monster MMO. Which would be pretty neat I thought. (Although it seems CCP+White Wolf is working on something sort of like that with the WoD MMO.)

As for Champions Online, I am cautiously optimistic. Other than the repetition of COH it was one of the most fun MMOs I've played. I'd be pretty happy with a COH2 that has a vastly improved missioning system.

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
    edited February 2008
    They are, they've got at least 2 other MMOs in process, or so it looks.

Scooter on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think we all missed the most important part of that video. There was a sea monster hero.

maraxus94 on
  • Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    My only hope is that they have a better quest system than CoX. I know other games are guilty of having players do the same kind of missions over and over again, but they at least do a good job of hiding. CoX is so nakedly repetitive that I got bored out of it. Maybe it's my fault for getting into it late and not having a good supergroup, but running the same missions with the same tilesets over and over... ugh.

I have high hopes though.

Yes, it is your fault.
    Join us and all will be right with the world.

Plus they've been adding new tilesets every issue, it is only ultra super repetitive if you do old hero zones and never mix it up between newspapers and standard missions. There are still too many caves and offices but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it use to be.

I did join you, but breaking into the PA CoX group as a newb is nigh impossible. I played with Tremor a bit, but that was about it.

I have higher hopes for this on the 360 - since I can just invite people away from other shit using the dash.

Chad Sexington on
    edited February 2008
    Eh? I think we kind of pride ourselves on taking in new players.

Scooter on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's not hard, but you do have to be pushy. Pretty much every time I log on, I'm asking two or three times if anyone's teaming.

We should really bring back some kind of organized team thing, so that new people get the chance to play with mans who've been around for a while.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know that if you give someone creative control of what a sword looks like, we're going to start seeing some dicksabers. We all know that. I'm just hoping for a user creation submitting system or something, where you can submit models for weapons, skins, hairstyles, etc. That way, we can get a crack at truly making our own hero, and Cryptic can put a tag on whatever skin it is to give credit.

Actually I made a huge wall o'text post about how at least a little player created content could make it in the game. See this thread if you are interested.

In general I am very excited about this game, if not too many features get cut during development I might just have to squeel like a school girl. Now I just need to find out who I have to kill to get in the beta and start breaking the game.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.champions-online.com/node/30

Some game play. The video is small, and short so its hard to really tell anything at this point.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited February 2008

Some game play. The video is small, and short so its hard to really tell anything at this point.

that;'s the trailer I linked and it has a free high res version.

Cabezone on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game has a lot in it that was in the early drafts of City of Heroes.

Now that they've got teh monies it's good to see them go back and make this. I will be all over it when it comes out. This is much more up my alley than CoH.

Jasconius on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They could absolutely do something like what Total Annihilation did with new units; release new bits and pieces regularly, and gives players a chance to submit things to be included in that pool of incoming new costume pieces.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Speaking of which, I should play total annihilation.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited February 2008
    Also, I just watched the trailer, and one of the powers used the same sound as sonic blast in CoH.

/happy. I love my sonic/ sounds.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I suspect the sounds used are mostly placeholders right now, seemed like a lot of generic "lasers go pew pew" sfx in there.

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    Alot of the CoH sounds and music are generic licensed sounds, so its quite possible that some sounds would be the same between the games.

Corvus on
    edited February 2008
    I guessing a lot of the shit in the game right now is placeholder stuff.

Cabezone on
    edited February 2008
    I did join you, but breaking into the PA CoX group as a newb is nigh impossible. I played with Tremor a bit, but that was about it.

You must have joined during a lull in membership because we are, by far and away, the single most new person friendly group of people I've ever encountered. I'm not just saying that, either. I've never played a game where one group of people are so consistently willing to answer the same newbie questions over and over and help new guys out. It is one of the reasons I'm really proud to be a member of the PA CoX community.

That and the butt sex.

Accualt on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the single most new person friendly group of people I've ever encountered. I'm not just saying that, either

Some random pa dude bitched me out for trying to add him as a global friend today. It was hilarious watching how paranoid he was.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008
    Cabezone wrote: »

that;'s the trailer I linked and it has a free high res version.
    Oh well... ignore me then!
    But there Free High Res version is pretty damn small when your watching it in a window that's 1680x1050. 1280 x 720 would have been a better res to view the video at, which of coarse IGN has to charge for.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited February 2008
    the single most new person friendly group of people I've ever encountered. I'm not just saying that, either

Some random pa dude bitched me out for trying to add him as a global friend today. It was hilarious watching how paranoid he was.

Yeah someone in chat earlier was all, just go down the list and invite everyone! And I was like every time I do that people get mad about it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »

Yeah someone in chat earlier was all, just go down the list and invite everyone! And I was like [small]every time I do that people get mad about it[/small]

Everyone else was cool with it and accepted except for one random dude who freaked right the fuck out.

It wasn't "Hey who is this?" it was "How did you get this account!?"

Just so you know random dude its ok to have friends! Everyone has friends and the more you have the better you are!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008
    I make a point of adding everyone who talks, and I think everyone should.

There do seem to be people in the channel who never, ever talk, or team with us, or whatever, so I don't know what the fuck they're there for.

Scooter on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They're looking for that butt sex Acc was talking about.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited February 2008
    So, from the CO Forums Ive come to learn that the max party size is 5, and you'll be able to pick any power regardless of what "class" you pick.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited February 2008
    So, from the CO Forums Ive come to learn that the max party size is 5, and you'll be able to pick any power regardless of what "class" you pick.

Yes, but classes get bonuses to class specific powers. I dn't think the system is nearly settled yet as I've heard it a few different ways. I also read that cross class powers would cost you more points. they're definitely going to allow everyone to access all powers but it remains to be seen how they focus classes.

Cabezone on
    edited February 2008
    They seem to be aiming for a more RPG-style setup. I've never played a HERO system but I know in d20 classes each get native skills, you can get any skill but it costs twice as many points for each level in something not native. I like that kind of flexibility.

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    Lots more CO information here:

Massively article

So, there are Classes, but anyone can pick powers from any pool, however ones for your class are cheaper to buy. You can choose the color and "style" of your powers. No explanation of what style means. Where they shoot from maybe?

Theres some stuff in there about the 360 control scheme too.

Secret Identities are an option. Its going to be interesting to see how much of this actually makes it in, and what goes the way of the Skill System Cryptic initially planned to have in CoH in Issue Three that eventually morphed into the Inventions system in Issue Nine.

Corvus on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wish they would give us a list of features divided into groups. This stuff is IN, this stuff we are positive will be in, this stuff we think we can get in, and this stuff we want to get in but we haven't figured out how yet.

I realize that they have to keep stuff back to build interest as they get closer to the launch, but a boy can dream, can't he?

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
    edited February 2008
    So, there are Classes, but anyone can pick powers from any pool, however ones for your class are cheaper to buy. You can choose the color and "style" of your powers. No explanation of what style means. Where they shoot from maybe?

Yeah I think it means like shooting from the hands or laser eyebeams or whatever.

Oh man that article is hyping me up for this so much. Sounds so bad ass.
    Wait, that's not all -- you'll also get to pick your movement animation as well. Are you some kind of were-beast? Well now you can walk on all fours, like the crazed creature you've always wanted to become. Or perhaps you're more the robotic type, well fear not as your machine-man will clank its way across the screen appropriately. Heck, even sorcerers supreme (of the non-strange variety, of course) can float just above the ground in a fittingly wise and all-powerful manner.

Feeling like that wasn't enough, Cryptic is also giving players the chance to create their secret identity at the start of their careers. You can maintain said identity, but eventually the opportunity will arise for your secret to be let loose. Should you decide to take this path, missions will change drastically -- which is a bit vague but has us quite curious.

Something exciting is the news that we can expect lots of cut-scenes with voice-dialogue -- oh how we hope they get Walken in there. We also hope that it will be possible to eventually have some missions where more than five friends can play together -- ten seems to be the sweet spot for most players.

Bad ass

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008
    haha, I love that Alter-Egos are in! You can make your Joe Nobody that turns in to Awesome Man XTreme and eventualy have people figure out who you really are. Which then makes new missions open up and new challanges apear.
    Feeling like that wasn't enough, Cryptic is also giving players the chance to create their secret identity at the start of their careers. You can maintain said identity, but eventually the opportunity will arise for your secret to be let loose. Should you decide to take this path, missions will change drastically -- which is a bit vague but has us quite curious.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wait, that's not all -- you'll also get to pick your movement animation as well. Are you some kind of were-beast? Well now you can walk on all fours, like the crazed creature you've always wanted to become.

Oh christ, it's going to be like "/em crouch" in CoX, but a billion times worse.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
This discussion has been closed.