As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tetris Attack (SNES)

_UsUrPeR__UsUrPeR_ Registered User new member
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
Is there anyone out there that can present me with a challenge for Tetris Attack? My buddy and I play whenever we drink, and we drink a lot. We have managed a 19-minute match from level 1. If there are people who play, I would like to know so I can bring my SNES with me.

Joel

Comic creators, I salute you!
_UsUrPeR_ on

• Options
    dnmcgoydnmcgoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Me and my friend are pretty good at TA and we plan to be at PAX. We're always looking for a challenge. As long as there's a SNES, two controllers and a TA cartridge I'm up for it. Don't know about my friend, but I'm pretty sure he'd be up for it too. Also, do you mean you can last from lvl one on vs. for 19 minutes or you can max out the score in Endless in 19 minutes? As long as I have someone that knows how to juggle with me, I've lasted for as long as I've wanted on vs. (I believe we went for 2 hours before.. I think.. after the first hour we just stopped paying attention) Also I've maxxed out score in 7 minutes on endless before. However, one of my friends has gotten 5 minutes 25 seconds. The current world record is like 3 and a half I think... anyway.. I definitely like playing new people at PA.

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    I wish they would make a new version of Tetris Attack so that I could play it again.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    They did make Pokemon Puzzle League. I didn't like the fact that it featured pokemon, was geared towards 10 year olds, and had even more annoying sounds than the original. However, it fixed the AI, increased the score limit on endless, and had a decently interesting 3D mode. The AI fix was the best thing though, since it fixed the computer's inability to "play the drop". I didn't like playing with the N64 controller though, so I just raced through the game and then continued to play my friends and play endless. However, if you completely ripped the SNES version to shreds PPL is worth a look.

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    I don't have a N64 anymore.

:cry:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Shoot, I wish my brother would come. He's a Mensa at Tetris... he plays a lot of TetriNET, and he averages somewhere over 50 lines per minute.

Actually, if you're ever up for a tetris challenge you should check it out. I think it can be found at www.tetrinet2.com. It's a free online multiplayer competitive tetris game, and it freakin rocks once you get used to how bonus items work.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Unfortunately Tetris Attack has little in common with the original tetris. It was originally a game called Panel de Pon in Japan and featured some random anime characters that I don't recognize. It is an awesome game though and they brought it over here. The marketing people must have thought it a good idea to slap the name Tetris on it and put Yoshi characters in place of the anime ones so they had a better chance of selling it over here.. *shrug* If you want info on TA go to www.tetrisattack.net
    It even has records for those of you that have played the game.

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Oh, wierd... you're right, it has **nothing** to do with Tetris! How bizzare! I'm confused now... (hides in a dark corner, sobbing gently to himself and rocking back and forth)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    That's my favorite game for the SNES. Recently, I was able to go for around 15 minutes on level 99. That was earlier this year when I was really into it and played way too much. I would actually see blocks flipping around whenever I shut my eyes.

Doc on
  • Options
    Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I'm up for hopefully kicking ass, and definately getting my ass kicked.

My TA cartridge disappeared, so I had to resort to playing PPL.. Luckily, Super Hard is SUPER HARD, and gave me quite the challenge. But I haven't had any human competition thus far, I'm looking forward to some good games with whoever brings the game/controls/Their Skills.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I'm up for hopefully kicking ass, and definately getting my ass kicked.

My TA cartridge disappeared, so I had to resort to playing PPL.. Luckily, Super Hard is SUPER HARD, and gave me quite the challenge. But I haven't had any human competition thus far, I'm looking forward to some good games with whoever brings the game/controls/Their Skills.

At my peak I managed to beat Super Hard in 1 continue

the wook on
  • Options
    Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    the wook wrote:
    At my peak I managed to beat Super Hard in 1 continue

Awesome job. I wasn't satisfied by using any continues to beat the game, so I spent nearly a year playing S-hard until I finally went from beginning to finish with no continues.. Then I basked in my glory for a few days before returning to try again.. Then Koga murdered me.. What a tough game.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Hey, sorry to dredge up this old thread, but is someone still intending to bring this game? I'm just curious.

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Thank you for dgreging this thread up. I'm having my bachelor party at PAX and at least 3 guys in our group there are excellent TA/PPL players. IF there's interest, I'll happily toss my n64 or SNES and controllers into the bag and set it up in the open console room.

I'm still hopefull that I might find a copy of Nintendo Puzzle Collection (with 4 player Panel de Pon) for the Cube before PAX rolls around.

Wow. Thanks for the thread. Now PAX is complete for me.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    awesome ! if you could bring either one that would be cool. i would prefer the SNES since i like the controller on that better. i am coming from kentucky so bringing my own of anything is prohibitive thanks in advance

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    btw... how good are you and your friends? (I always have to ask that question.) Also a bachelor party at PAX? that's pretty hardcore..lol

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    How good are we? Everyone's king of their living room.

We're probably not hard core. I lived in a house during college that was hardcore for it's moment. Our standard low-speed matches (under 5) would be 7+ minute rounds, with intense battles going for 15 or 20 minute rounds. We prefered long games, with many minutes of full stack squisj time for both players. I know from some of the TA web communities that those aren't considered real skill matches, but those were the games we liked. From a clear screen we would pull trumpets consistently.

Of course, that was ..(counts on gnarled fingers)...4 years ago now? 5? A few years after our heyday, I had a gathering of Soul Calibur players. It was stratling that in a crowd of good (WCMaxi was there, along with Bent-lee), easily half of them were also great TA players. Bent-lee in particular shredded our ass.

So, if you're looking for the geat intercontinental title fight, I'm probably not your guy. We're heading to PAX becuase we're gamers and love to play. I, in particular, woudl love a few hours of TA/PPL time during the weekend. And if you are god's gift to the colored tiles, you'd be hard pressed to find a more appreciative audience.

andrew

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Depends on whether you are living with college roommates who play TA all the time on whether you are the king of your own living room :-P There was a day and time when we thought we had nearly reached the pinnacle of TA play.. maxing out the score on endless in under 9 minutes we originally thought was a perfect game (since its a straight x13 every minute) However we looked online and realized that someone had pulled this feat off in 3 and a half minutes. Astounded we tried to find out how.. and realized that after the x13 you can make other matches that aren't directly related to the times you're on.. and basically double your score. Its decently hard since you have to juggle the times and make matches on the other side of the board. Now I've maxed the score in 7 minutes and my friend who is the best TA player I personally know (who isn't coming unfortunately) can max in 5.5 minutes. The other way we play now to try to enhance our skills is to turn the ball code on and play at speed 99 and hard difficulty.. and just see how long we can last. Hardest. Mode. Ever. So a god of TA.. no way .. but we are pretty good simply cause we've played that game to death. If you can last 15-20 minutes a match though.. it will definitely be good times.

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, we only really played vs (both two player and single) which I now recognize isn't the best practice, but is certianly fun.

So I'll bring an SNES and my beloved TA cartridge. Along with the lord on high of puzzle games, I'll also be toting several systems worth of good puzzle shit, including Puyo Puyo Fever and Puyo Puyo N (Compile's 4 player version) for the DC, and the PS1 Magical Drop collection. Becuase after an hour or so of TA, having brutal 20 scond Maicla Drop matches is a nice kick in the head.

So hopefully I'll be able to set up my system in the console room arly on Saturday morning. IF not, we'll just have to dedicate some hotel room as all TA, all the time.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    If you're interested in Tetris Attack, I'd ask that you throw your own SNES controller into your luggage. It's small and will hopefully keep the games fun and friendly, instead of deolvign into griping about my 1st-gen decade old controllers.

Thanks.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    cool.. that's a good idea anyway, since my own personal controller has its own wear and tear that I'm familiar with.. thanks for the suggestion

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I know it's too late for this, but we're at the Doubletree and plaing Tetris Attack for much of the night. We're in room 645 and 644. Also Calibur, Wario Ware and Whisky.

Unknown User on