As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Areas of My Expertise - The John Hodgman Thread

s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
This guy, in my opinion, is one of the funniest people in America, but nobody seems to notice. His book "The Areas of my Expertise" is one of my all-time favourite books, but it usually seems to get overlooked. For example, the Audiobook version was a free download on iTunes, and for a free download, it was amazing. Hodgman records the entire book along with Jonathan Coulton doing music (he wrote the music for Portal, and is himself hilarious), and yet they needed to make it free to get it out there. Tycho and Gabe don't seem to know about it (this is made apparent by most recent comic title). His segments on the Daily Show are few and far between, yet they are easily the funniest. Am I alone in my opinion of this guy? Why doesn't he get more notoriety? Has anyone else here read his book?

BTW if you haven't read it, you should. Kinda hard to find though...which just goes to further illustrate my point.

s7apster on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any man who can turn Ragnarok into a punchline can't be all bad.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The audiobook is the reason I discovered Jonathan Coulton - the Intro song, state songs, and Furry Old Lobster song just got stuck in my head until I looked the guy up and discovered his awesome music.

Back to Hodgman, his Daily Show segments are among the funniest ones on the show. His book gets a little bit long at times, but I still keep it on my iTunes and listen to it on long trips. Hilarious.

Massachusetts state song: "Massachusetts says you can keep your fuckin' tea!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really enjoy John Hodgeman's segments on The Daily Show, but I haven't really seen much else from him (apart from the PC/Mac commercials). Thanks for telling us about his book, I'll be sure to look it up, then perhaps I'll have something more substantial to say about him :)

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I rather enjoyed 260 of his listed Hobo Names.

The Orphan Ronaldo, previously Ronaldo Ronaldoson 'The man who will kill his father'.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    moniker wrote: »

The Orphan Ronaldo, previously Ronaldo Ronaldoson 'The man who will kill his father'.

I think I might have made it all the way through the list once...

s7apster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I just love the little hilarious details. For instance, on the cover of the audiobook it says:
    And set to music (where appropriate) by the renowned "Jonathan Coulton," contributing troubadour, Popular Science Magazine

s7apster on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love the little exchange where Jon wants Jonathan to leave but he doesn't.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I love the little exchange where Jon wants Jonathan to leave but he doesn't.

Ya, my favourite part of the whole thing is the banter that accompanies the table of contents.

JH: "Some people don't believe planets are planets, and they have debates about it."
    JC: "Well that's ridiculous."
    JH: "Well, not until you hear what I have to say on the subject."

Awesome.

s7apster on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    s7apster wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

I think I might have made it all the way through the list once...

When I need a name for a game I skip to a random spot in that song and pick the first funny one

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For example, the Audiobook version was a free download on iTunes, and for a free download, it was amazing.

Shit, how did I miss that? D:

He's got several really funny This American Life segments, too. The one where he becomes Bruce Campbell's agent is gold.

Fats on
  • Options
    sasquatchmosasquatchmo Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Also the Little Gray book lectures have some really good stuff.

http://www.littlegraybooks.com/hear.html

I highly recommend We Remember: How to Generate a Winning Character Which is all about D&D

sasquatchmo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also the Little Gray book lectures have some really good stuff.

http://www.littlegraybooks.com/hear.html

I highly recommend We Remember: How to Generate a Winning Character Which is all about D&D

Thanks for that link, its gold.

s7apster on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wish I knew it was free at any point. I do find this guy very funy, knew he had a book but I haven't read it or seen it in person.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I downloaded the audiobook from iTunes last night. It was kinda too bad they uber-compressed it so the sound was kinda crappy, but oh well. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but what I've heard so far is awesome. It also seems worth listening to even if you've read the book already.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just love the little hilarious details. For instance, on the cover of the audiobook it says:
    And set to music (where appropriate) by the renowned "Jonathan Coulton," contributing troubadour, Popular Science Magazine
    He is, in fact, the contributing troubadour.

Also, Hodgman and Coulton did a recording of the hobo names.

I’ve shared both these links before, but it can’t hurt to post ‘em again.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love his segments on TDS and have read his book. I'll probably listen to the audiobook as well if it's free. My favorite bit went something like this:

Economics is often called the "dismal science" after sir Eustace Dismal, who originally put forth the idea to make smokestacks out of children. Which is of course ridiculous, because then who would you get to clean them?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I listened to the audiobook on my commute back and forth to school last semester, and it was amazing. I found out about it after discovering Jonathan Coulton.

It was actually probably kind of dangerous to be listening to it while driving since I was laughing so hard sometimes.

Taximes on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My favorite bits from the book are the one about the states, especially Rhode Island being the lil'est addict and I think Ohio's motto being "Where the Shadows lie". Also the snowball names are brilliant.

Oh, and best hobo?

"Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I love his segments on TDS and have read his book. I'll probably listen to the audiobook as well if it's free. My favorite bit went something like this:

Economics is often called the "dismal science" after sir Eustace Dismal, who originally put forth the idea to make smokestacks out of children. Which is of course ridiculous, because then who would you get to clean them?

My favorite line is right near the beginning.

"There are only two references to sports in this book. For those interested in sports references, may I refer you to every other aspect of our culture."

I butchered it, but still a great line.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I went and bought the audiobook on iTunes. $20.

So far (one hour in) it's worth it.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!