As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

embedding video on a site

sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
So, I have never put any video other than a Youtube video on a website. How would I do so otherwise? I want to put the video on the same host as my site. As for Flash player, is this a good one? How do I embed it? What type of file format does the video need to be in for Flash player? I know you can embed videos other ways "wmv, quicktime, etc), but I don't know how. Any suggestions, how do I do it, and what file format would I need? I would prefer to use Flash Player unless there is a good reason not to. As much info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
PM me if you add any of my codes
sushiboy on

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Your best bet is to embed a Youtube video or something of the sort.

Otherwise do a search for FLV and options regarding it.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can try just doing a Youtube video and hotlinking it. If the video is large or if you really do want it on your own server your options boil down to:

Find a Youtube-esque service that allows for more space

Find a friend with Flash skills.

Flash is one of the defactos for web video because of it's multi-platform and widespread use.

However, if you can't get it done you can always revert back to basic formats such as Windows Media or Quicktime.

Microsoft shells out a free Media Encoder which will prep most basic video formats for progressive download from a web server.

Quicktime videos as far as I know perform the same thing by default without special encoding.

If you do either of the last two it's as simple as putting the file on the server and hoping your host has their MIME types set.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ok, but how would i actually put a flash (or wmv, or quicktime) video on my site?

sushiboy on
    Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
    AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
    PM me if you add any of my codes