As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question about the Virtual Boy

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
Long story short I got a Virtual Boy cheep to put on my desk at work as a conversation piece. Anyway I set it all up, plugged in the system, and turned it on only to have no reaction. I sent it back and got another one sent to me. I set this one up and turn it on only to have nothing happen.

Now here is the question. Does the Virtual Boy have to have a game inside for it to turn on? Or if you turn it on with no game inside does it just give you a simple prompt but not do anything after that? Frankly I'll be pissed either way because either A. I sent back a perfectly good system and got the run around for 5 fucking months for nothing, or B. I just got sent a SECOND broken system that was shitty to begin with.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    IIRC, and I could be wrong, the virtual boy is like the original gameboy. When you turn it on you get the Nintendo logo, but if you don't have a game in you get a blank screen after that. Keep in mind that it has been years since I used a Virtual Boy, so I could be way off.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Without a game inserted, what would you expect it to do?

Gim on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    Without a game inserted, what would you expect it to do?
    Look at the post above yours. That's what I expect.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Q: What does your VB do when you switch it on without a game plugged inside? (Do you have a black screen or a VB logo ?)
    A: All the VB shows with no game inserted is a black screen. It would seem the VB is Nintendo's only system without a startup logo included with the hardware, so it's on each game cartridge.

http://www.virtual-boy.org/faq.htm

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Q: What does your VB do when you switch it on without a game plugged inside? (Do you have a black screen or a VB logo ?)
    A: All the VB shows with no game inserted is a black screen. It would seem the VB is Nintendo's only system without a startup logo included with the hardware, so it's on each game cartridge.

But does it turn on to a black screen? Because right now when I flip the switch absolutely nothing happens at all to let me know that it turned on.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

But does it turn on to a black screen? Because right now when I flip the switch absolutely nothing happens at all to let me know that it turned on.

From the same site:
    Without a game in the slot or power hooked up right, the VB will not startup. If none of those work you might want to consider getting a new VB head unit, because it is probably broken.

So it sounds like you need an actual game inside before anything will happen.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    you dont have any games to test with it yet? It originally game with Mario Tennis in NA market....

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've tested it with a game now. This fucking piece of shit is broken. Does this company even test their systems before sending them out? This is fucking ridiculous that they sold me TWO broken VBs. I mean the one they sent me to replace the one that was broken that they first sold to me is fucking broken. WTH?!

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    make sure you do some more comprehensive testing just to be sure. like try some other games, or blow in it, etc.

there is a red light coming on when you flick on power, somehwere right?

I have a VB and can't remember if there is a power LED somewhere..

edit: also are you using it with the batteries or AC adapter?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    make sure you do some more comprehensive testing just to be sure. like try some other games, or blow in it, etc.

More troubleshooting:

Double-check all connections. (Power, controller, and game.)
    Clean the cartridge. I recommend rubbing alcohol on a qtip.
    Try the other power method (batteries or AC (if possible)).
    See if you can get any sound. (If so, the screen's broken.)

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

More troubleshooting:

No thing shows up on the screen, no sound of an electronic turning on, no LED that I can see anywhere on the system, I'm trying the outlet not batteries. I'll try blowing on and reinserting the game, but I doubt the fact that the game might be a little dirty would stop the system from turning on completely.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i might get around to pulling mine out and messing with it

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Try batteries in case it's the AC Adaptor causing the issue just to be safe...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

More troubleshooting:

No thing shows up on the screen, no sound of an electronic turning on, no LED that I can see anywhere on the system, I'm trying the outlet not batteries. I'll try blowing on and reinserting the game, but I doubt the fact that the game might be a little dirty would stop the system from turning on completely.

I strongly recommend cleaning the cart, and trying with batteries then.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

More troubleshooting:

Ha ha ha can't clean the cart, it has a pin connector.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ha ha ha can't clean the cart, it has a pin connector.

...Ah. That.

Searching further, it appears that even if there's no game, the unit will still vibrate slightly from the mirror spinning, which you should be able to feel.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Anyway, I sent it back. When I called them they were all like, "Oh no we make good test it work really good before we sendering".

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Spaniard, how much did you pay? I've still got mine, along with the first six release games, instruction books, boxes, the original packaging, the battery adapter, and a brand new stand and a headstrap (don't use it, it's too heavy for that) and I was wondering what mine is worth.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Spaniard, how much did you pay? I've still got mine, along with the first six release games, instruction books, boxes, the original packaging, the battery adapter, and a brand new stand and a headstrap (don't use it, it's too heavy for that) and I was wondering what mine is worth.
    I haggled them down to 40 bucks for the system, stand, controller, and all the cables for AC and batteries.

The_Spaniard on