As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    sonic203d20blast20betatf3.png

fine how about you?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ristarne3.png

Sup guys.

Wasn't there a Ristar as well? You were a Starfish or something and you grabbed little 'nodes' throughout each level to bounce around. I loved it when I was younger, and I wish I could play it again.

EDIT: Shit, it was Ristar! I loved it to death, and seeing screenshots of it again floods my soul with nostalgia. *sigh* if only I could play it again.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    OH SHITS SONS

SOOO much to talk about in the upcoming weeks.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I didn't know Sonic had such a cult following. Though I did know about the Sonic furry fanfic, which is hilarious.

Misanthropic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So I'll start posting some stuff from the sonic 3 beta that's been found.

-In Sky sanctuary zone the air that keeps you floating where knuckles jumps on the button and extends the bridge is missing so you just die.

skysanct1ai3.png

-Everyone knows sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles was originally going to be one game (simply entitled sonic 3) but now new evidence has come to light which sheds the original intent. From the very begining, right from the moment they started on sonic 3, it was decided to split the game in two. There was to be 3 versions of Sonic 3 released:

Sonic 3 A (the version of sonic 3 we ended up getting)
    Sonic 3 B (Which ended up being Sonic & Knuckles)
    Sonic 3 C (A special version of Sonic 3 which would have been both sonic 3 and sonic & knuckles in one cart)

the idea was to release sonic 3 by itself, then later release sonic 3 B and Sonic 3 C. People who bought Sonic 3 A could buy a cheaper Sonic 3 B to complete the game, and people who had bought neither could buy a more expensive Sonic 3 C, which would have been released on a massive 32 meg cart. Obviously, Sonic 3 C was canceled.

-Hidden Palace Zone was originally Sky Sanctuary Zone Act 1. Sky Sanctuary Zone was act 2.

skysanct2yc5.png
    VIDEO LINK!

-Doomsday Zone originally was Death Egg Zone act 3

-Mushroom Valley Zone's opening animation had Sonic & Tails falling from the sky

-Lava Reef Zone looked much different. Act 1 was covered in stalagmites. The color scheme was very different. Lava wasn't functional until very late into development.

lrzpi4.png

-Shields originally didn't block bullets

-Knuckles could originally knock you out of Super Sonic form (just like in the intro)

-Death Egg Zone act 2 originally ended with an eggcapsule

(reserved for future findings)

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OH SHITS SONS

SOOO much to talk about in the upcoming weeks.

Super Tails and Knuckles are a garbled mess.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So I'll start posting some findings from the other versions of the sonic 2 beta:

-The opening screen which states "Miles "Tails" Prower in" originally said "Sonic And Tails In..."

sntixb3.png

-Originally the death animation would have the camera follow sonic as he fell off the screen, panning vertically through the level.

-Sonic 2 originally used Sonic 1 style title cards. Interestingly, even though Green Hill Zone was still present in Sonic 2 at one point, it's title card read "Emerald Hill Zone," despite Emerald Hill Zone being present in the game (and labeled as such on the level select screen)

-Special Stages seem to have a different level layout scrolling speed (slower) and the ring scaling seems to be different from the final as well.

Also, first stage uses the second stage's palette and I think the ring counts are different and such.

-The name change from Miles Prower to Miles "Tails" Prower was one of the last changes in Sonic 2.

-Hidden Palace Zone officially died in the 8th build of the game, on Sep 24 1994. By the 8th build, it was removed. It was never, ever worked on since the first build, where it appeared in near complete form.

-The Eggrobo in Death Egg Zone originally was in the middle of the room to start the fight, and you could very easily make you way to the back of the boss. Which makes sense given how intricate and well designed its back attacks are in the final (although rarely seen)

s2b4dezpp8.gif

-End of level screens originally said "Sonic Got Through Act. 1" or "Sonic Got Through Act. 2" with a period after "Act." Oh that silly engrish.

(Reserved for future findings)

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Uploading and in-lining images as they become available

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Knuckles Chaotix Findings:

-Originally entitled "Chaotix"

-Originally starred Espio, not Knuckles

-Name changed to Knuckles Ring Star. Knuckles Ring Star = Knuckles Star Ring. Starring Knuckles.

-Opening SEGA screen originally displayed the overhead map long lost but seen in the manual

-Character selection screen originally based on rotating black screen.

-Tails (aka Wechidna... read previous pages for more info) was selectable in early versions (although the game would crash as soon as he was selected)

-Alright, now we're starting to get into the meat...

chaotix1207pal1vj0.th.gif

Lost images in the beta version of Chaotix PROVING that sonic and tails were originally in the game. This is... very odd. Looks like the original line up was Sonic, Tails, Charmy, Heavy, Vector, Knuckles, and Bomb. No espio... which is odd because we know the game originally starred him.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Now lets talk about ristar...

-Began development on 07/01/94

-Built on the Sonic 3 engine

-Began as FEEL, late renamed DEXSTAR, later renamed RISTAR

ristarne3.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fuck me this shit is pouring in... let's talk Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic triple Trouble, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Spinball and Sonic Blast (game Gear) now...

(reserved for future posts)

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And before I continue, massive, massive, MASSIVE props to drx and the rest of the sonic community for this. It's christmas in February. drx has come through in the biggest way possible.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lets talk Pico (Sonic's Gameworld and Tail's and the music maker) and Sonic R now

-Sonic R originally had a much different (and much improved) title screen:

sonicrvl9.png

This image has been seen several times since, on concept boxes and in the pamphlets sent out in every saturn game in 1997, but it's nice to know where the image originated

-The main menu for Sonic R was much much different:

sonicr2jw5.png

Corresponding menu selections to button presses? How tacky!

(reserved for future findings)

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BlackCloudBlackCloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I want information on Final Fantasy games.
    But I'll settle for more posts by TSR. :P

FF games? That's 12 so far, plus crazy spin offs. I bet we could fill like 5 threads with half the info haha. Plus there are crazy theories like Gogo = Aerith.

BlackCloud on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also guys, while I wanna keep posting this stuff because it's absolutely pouring in, I unfortunately took some sedatives the doctor gave me to calm me down (one of my very good friends died 2 days ago) right before all this started going on. So I'll keep posting for as long as I can but if I stop, it's because I've gone to sleep.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TSR are you referring to
    Quick numbers: 155 Sega 32x prototypes, 300 Game Gear prototypes, 464 Mega Drive prototypes, 94 Pico prototypes, 6 Gamecube prototypes -- 1024 prototype overall (what a nice round number!), making this the biggest prototype release in history (and probably ever to come).

?

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keep posting as long as you want, this information isn't going anywhere.

I'm looking forwards to seeing stuff on Sonic R, that game has a special place in my heart.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    TSR are you referring to

yes

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    -The Eggrobo in Death Egg Zone originally was in the middle of the room to start the fight, and you could very easily make you way to the back of the boss. Which makes sense given how intricate and well designed its back attacks are in the final (although rarely seen)

s2b4dezpp8.gif

-End of level screens originally said "Sonic Got Through Act. 1" or "Sonic Got Through Act. 2" with a period after "Act." Oh that silly engrish.

That's how I beat him for years, attacking from behind when he crouched from attacks. I did this with knuckles too. I nearly broke in tears when I found out it was so much easier from the front.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh boy oh boy oh boy

Impersonator on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    An epic time is coming.

And I thought the Nick Arcade Beta was awesome.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Guys that KC picture I just posted gave me like 11 boners.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha, the servers crashed. I may take this as my opportunity to lay down for now... I'll post so much more when I wake up.

EDIT: But what a way to end for the day, huh? Sonic... in Knuckles Chaotix.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TSR is having like a billion nerdgasms and I for once am willing to do the same.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha, the servers crashed. I may take this as my opportunity to lay down for now... I'll post so much more when I wake up.

EDIT: But what a way to end for the day, huh? Sonic... in Knuckles Chaotix.

Oh my gosh! I loved that game! I must have wasted at least three months of my life to it only to have the cartridge destroyed in a flood.

So of course when I go out looking for another copy what do I find? Sega doesn't have any plans of re-releasing the game in some kind of "Hey those games from yester-year bundle". They made some sort of Sonic Mega Collection that includes "Comix Zone" but not Knuckles Chaotix?

Cmon Guys.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This thread continues to fascinate me. Great job, TSR!

Also, my condolences for the loss of your friend. :(

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    oh fucking god... just a taste off whats to come:

-Sonic Adventure proto (possible working super sonic)
    -SEVERAL ecco betas (Ecco 2 Dreamcast maybe?)
    -more Sonic CD betas maybe?

Todays the day sega's past spilled onto the internet. Peace out yall, when I awake I'll have shitloads to talk about.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    -Snipped-

interesting

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sonic Adventuuuuuurrrreeeeeeeeee! My favorite!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh fucking god... just a taste off whats to come:

-Sonic Adventure proto (possible working super sonic)
    -SEVERAL ecco betas (Ecco 2 Dreamcast maybe?)
    -more Sonic CD betas maybe?

Todays the day sega's past spilled onto the internet. Peace out yall, when I awake I'll have shitloads to talk about.
    To all of those.

YES YES 1000 TIMES YES!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, almost makes me wish I was a Sonic fan.
    Unfortunately, growing up, I was a Nintendo fan boy, so I refused to play anything Genesis-related.

I'm better now, thanks.

switching gears a bit; I just finished Fable after downloading it on Xbox live (I didn't own an Xbox, just a 360).
    Unkept promises aside, that game just reeks of unfinished potential. How much are you guys willing to bet there's a metric shiton of stuff hidden away in that game? (and I don't mean "regular" secrets that players can figure out on their own). Anyone have the inside scoop?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    sonic3dblasttitlecompargj4.gif

LMAO

NOT a photoshop.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

LMAO

NOT a photoshop.
    Well. This should be very interesting.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

LMAO

NOT a photoshop.
    Well. This should be very interesting.

s3dlolz2ks2.gif

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OMFG... TSR make that Sonic head your new Avatar, it would work wonders.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He looks like he is going to rape or kill me with his thumb.

Couscous on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man where did all this shit come from? (Although you can't answer that of course) Obviously someone at Sega fucked up massively to let all this shit get leaked/stolen/lost although considering sega's history someone massively fucking up isn't a surprise :P

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So Sonic 2's title screen and options screen. They were added less than a week before the game was released.

Take THAT everyone who says nothing can change as the release date approaches.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Man where did all this shit come from? (Although you can't answer that of course) Obviously someone at Sega fucked up massively to let all this shit get leaked/stolen/lost although considering sega's history someone massively fucking up isn't a surprise :P

Yamauchi would probably personally murder anybody who leaked a beta.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So in Ristar (final) - there is this odd text string hidden in the source code that never gets used anywhere else. It says "RISTAR is NOT volt" and for years no one knew what the hell it meant

turns out that when Ristar was in development, one of the names it was going under was Volt the Voltage. In fact, that name predates FEEL.

Thus the dev history of ristar through names goes

Volt the Voltage -> Feel -> Ristar -> Dexstar -> Ristar

that's right, Ristar was changed from Ristar to Dexstar and then changed back to Ristar.

TheSonicRetard on