As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTN: Former Omeganauts/Omegatech

Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in PAX Archive
I'm not sure if anyone has had this idea in the past, but here it goes:

I propose a future tournament for 20 random former Omeganauts (say that five times fast). If anyone has any ideas on possible games/prizes I think it would be fun to bring this idea to Tycho and Gabe's attention.

Cynd3rCyn on

Posts

  • lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Repeat of some of last years rounds?
    Rock Band take two

    lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That would be good. Some people in the IRC chat mentioned some older games such as pog and chess, but it would definitely be good to get feedback from all the people of the previous years. I am sure there are omeganauts that had been thinking, "If I had a second chance, I'd do this round differently and kick ass at it!!"
    I'm definitely in that catagory for Quake 3. :lol:

    Cynd3rCyn on
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cynd3rCyn wrote: »
    I am sure there are omeganauts that had been thinking, "If I had a second chance, I'd do this round differently and kick ass at it!!"
    I'm definitely in that catagory for Quake 3. :lol:

    Man, I never want to play Quake 3 again. That was embarrassing.

    Ok, I lied, I'm in. I want rock band!!

    zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You losers had your chance! And I only say 'losers' because you lost. In reality, you're winners as long as you keep trying.

    QuizMaster on
  • coelacanthcoelacanth Registered User
    edited January 2008
    The new Omeganauts are randomly chosen from pre-regs yes?

    coelacanth on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    coelacanth wrote: »
    The new Omeganauts are randomly chosen from pre-regs yes?

    From the Pre-Reg's that select the "YES I WANT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR OMEGANAUT" checkbox when they buy their pre-reg passes, Yes.

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • coelacanthcoelacanth Registered User
    edited January 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    coelacanth wrote: »
    The new Omeganauts are randomly chosen from pre-regs yes?

    From the Pre-Reg's that select the "YES I WANT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR OMEGANAUT" checkbox when they buy their pre-reg passes, Yes.

    Excellent...as soon as I get paid tomorrow I'll be buying my pass!

    coelacanth on
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think this is a cool idea in that it could also be used a a sort of "testing" ground for future Omeganaut tournament formats. For example, people were commenting on how they were better at certain games but didn't get the chance to play those because they were knocked out of the tournament. How was progression through the tournament determined?

    phamtq on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    phamtq wrote: »
    How was progression through the tournament determined?
    I'm not sure if this completely answers your question, but each round was an elimination round, kicking out X players at a time.

    QuizMaster on
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    QuizMaster wrote: »
    phamtq wrote: »
    How was progression through the tournament determined?
    I'm not sure if this completely answers your question, but each round was an elimination round, kicking out X players at a time.

    I think for this side-tournament you folks could try going with a new format. Instead of knocking out a certain number of players at a time, you could have everyone accumulate points.

    For example, let's say one of the games is Super Mario Bros. The points would be distributed a lot like motorsports:

    1st: 25 points
    2nd: 20 points
    3rd: 15 points
    4th: 12 points
    5th: 10 points
    6th: 9 points
    7th: 8 points

    etc... all the way down to 1 point.

    Those who consistently do well are not penalized and those who do poorly in the beginning still have a shot. You'd create the excitement of having an underdog! For a 2-player VS game, you could have it where a win nets you 3 points and a loss gets you 1. In the end, you get to see how well you do over all instead of wondering how far you would have gone if you didn't suck at one game.

    phamtq on
  • Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    phamtq wrote: »
    QuizMaster wrote: »
    phamtq wrote: »
    How was progression through the tournament determined?
    I'm not sure if this completely answers your question, but each round was an elimination round, kicking out X players at a time.

    I think for this side-tournament you folks could try going with a new format. Instead of knocking out a certain number of players at a time, you could have everyone accumulate points.

    For example, let's say one of the games is Super Mario Bros. The points would be distributed a lot like motorsports:

    1st: 25 points
    2nd: 20 points
    3rd: 15 points
    4th: 12 points
    5th: 10 points
    6th: 9 points
    7th: 8 points

    etc... all the way down to 1 point.

    Those who consistently do well are not penalized and those who do poorly in the beginning still have a shot. You'd create the excitement of having an underdog! For a 2-player VS game, you could have it where a win nets you 3 points and a loss gets you 1. In the end, you get to see how well you do over all instead of wondering how far you would have gone if you didn't suck at one game.


    I like this idea :)

    Cynd3rCyn on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Random thought: Wouldn't it be "Omegalumni"?

    Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • KnightKnight Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I wouldnt mind if all the previous Omeganauts just got together. Not even a tournament per se, but just a get together/dinner/whatever. Could be fun.

    Knight on
This discussion has been closed.