As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    So I got a random urge to try CoX again. I did a two-week trial years ago, and that's pretty much all I've played.

So what are the options? I can't get a new trial to my old account, right?

Echo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No, otherwise people would just play on free trials all the time. You'd have to start a new one.

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    I don't really care about my old character (level 15-ish mind/gravity controller), but I hate having to add numbers to my account name. :P

Eh, guess I'll go for a trial for now.

Echo on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    No, otherwise people would just play on free trials all the time. You'd have to start a new one.

For what it's worth, someone sent me a 10-day trial and I slapped it onto the account I've had since like Issue 2.

It was the first trial code that account's used, though.

INeedNoSalt on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The problem with all the blaster secondaries is that the force you into melee, which seems to me like it would hurt archery a lot more than other sets, because of redraw time.
    There is no such thing. If your attack requires a weapon redraw the attack animation will be sped up to compensate, the total time will be exactly the same as if you already had the weapon ready.

Glal on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is that really how it works? I guess I haven't done any testing, but it doesn't seem like any of my AR/ characters work that way.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    The problem with all the blaster secondaries is that the force you into melee, which seems to me like it would hurt archery a lot more than other sets, because of redraw time.
    There is no such thing. If your attack requires a weapon redraw the attack animation will be sped up to compensate, the total time will be exactly the same as if you already had the weapon ready.

That might be true of Archery, but I don't believe it's true of every set. For example, I don't believe Dual Blades was normalized. I'm pretty sure BAB has a post about it on the official forums somewhere.

Pb on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

That might be true of Archery, but I don't believe it's true of every set. For example, I don't believe Dual Blades was normalized. I'm pretty sure BAB has a post about it on the official forums somewhere.

All the blaster sets are normalized like that. AR is wicked fast too on account of the redraw times.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Hmm well thanks to ubergeek I got my card running at about 63 idle and 82 playing a game. That is a bit better I guess.

Yeah I am pretty awesome, also, blue dot.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    fucking

i bought an IO set

i did not know they had to be slotted to the same power

D:

Sars_Boy on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can always respec.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    yeah I'm going to later today

what a pain though

Sars_Boy on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I've just started up my COV/COH account again, never took a char past 13 because of other games I was playing.

Unfortunately I'm on the eu servers so can't hang with the PA crew but thought I'd ask some questions in here.

Are there extra customisation options that you unlock through playing?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited February 2008
    So, I think I'll try it again for a month.

Echo on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There are a few unlocks you can get by grabbing certain badges, though most of those are from holiday events. There are also some you get from Veteran Rewards, cumulative number of months you've been subscribed. There are also some costume parts you "craft" now. Oh and there is a full set of items you can get from collecting tokens in the Rikti War Zone.

Accualt on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks you kind sirs

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited February 2008
    Where did I download the client? The site ain't exactly helpful with that.

edit: oh, found it.

Echo on
    edited February 2008
    Log into your Account from their webpage and there is a button somewhere in there that says Download Client.

Accualt on
    edited February 2008
    Looks like I suckered a friend into trying the trial. It's both CoH/CoV in the same client, rite?

Echo on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Looks like I suckered a friend into trying the trial. It's both CoH/CoV in the same client, rite?
    Yeah, one client for both games.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thinking of killing some time and subscribing after not playing for a year or two.

quick question that will decide if I will play villain or hero though--

did they ever add something for heroes that are as fun as mayhem missions for villains?

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
    edited February 2008
    Safeguard missions. Same maps as the mayhems, same sidemissions, but from the other side. Less blowing stuff up.

Scooter on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    safeguards are, in fact, not even in close to as fun as mayhems and are frustrating wastes of time you just do to get a new contact

i really dislike them

Pony on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah mayhems are way more fun. Unless you are like a dominator.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008
    I dunno, I thought safeguard missions were pretty fun. You do basically all the same things villains do, but instead of just running straight to the bank, you zoom around the map looking for bad guys to off.

Not blowing stuff up was a disappointment, though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited February 2008
    The one problem with mayhems is they get really frustrating in large groups, as the number of objects you have to blow up increases past the point that you can really hit it, and you pretty much have to skip all the side missions. Since SGs put the majority of the bonus time in the sides you can take an 8-man team and not really worry about time. Plus they get to hosp without needing to break out.

Scooter on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hi guys, is there a website somewhere that has an up to date list of power sets and powers?

Thanks.

Jasconius on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    safeguards are, in fact, not even in close to as fun as mayhems and are frustrating wastes of time you just do to get a new contact

i really dislike them

Did they change something? Because I don't recall ever having to run a Safeguard to get a new contact. I always got my contacts by just doing normal missions.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I guess it's an alternative, if you're stuck with a DE contact or something and don't want to do their missions.

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    I <3 Safeguards!

If you play them the way they are designed they really make you feel like a super hero.

Accualt on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've always enjoyed Safeguards a lot more than Mayhems. Call me crazy. I've seen too many Mayhems end in tears. Safes usually only go bad when the team can't handle the AV, which is pretty rare

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well crap. 15-day timecard purchased and only 38 more hours to go on the download/update.

I wonder if the spandex still fits?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I was at the Black Market the other day, and I saw a toon running around with one of the pre-order CoV helmets, like so: http://www.cityofvillains.com/store/helmets.html

Anyway, they look great - is there any way to actually get these helmets now? Ebay? NCSoft? Cryptic? Im pretty much assuming that there is no chance of getting these, unless they are added as vet rewards (ala the Sprint animations) way down the line.

Jackanapes on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hi guys, is there a website somewhere that has an up to date list of power sets and powers?

Thanks.

http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Powersets
    Jackanapes wrote: »
    So, I was at the Black Market the other day, and I saw a toon running around with one of the pre-order CoV helmets, like so: http://www.cityofvillains.com/store/helmets.html

Anyway, they look great - is there any way to actually get these helmets now? Ebay? NCSoft? Cryptic? Im pretty much assuming that there is no chance of getting these, unless they are added as vet rewards (ala the Sprint animations) way down the line.

I believe only ebay if you can actually find a preorder code on there.

Gear Girl on
    edited February 2008
    They make 15 day time cards?

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    They make 15 day time cards?

They've made 15, 30, and 60 day ones for a long time now. Most places only have the 60s or the 60s and 30s though.

Also, to Jacknapes, note that you can only apply one of those pre-order helmet codes, they're mutually exclusive of each other.

Some day I might actually use my Mu Helmet. I wish they'd made the darn things colour customizable.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I was at Fry's picking up a couple other things and they only had 15-day NCsoft cards. $10 each so that's not TOO bad.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, I was at Fry's picking up a couple other things and they only had 15-day NCsoft cards. $10 each so that's not TOO bad.

No credit card Noc? I mean, for $15 bucks you could buy 30 days of play online from PlayNC.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, 4.5 levels on the PA farm team tonight. Not too shabby!

Pb on
This discussion has been closed.