As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WonderCon 2008 (2/22 - 2/24)

smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Graphic Violence
So what is WonderCon?
WonderCon celebrates its 22nd year as Northern California's most popular comics and pop culture event with a return to Moscone Center South on February 22-24, 2008. The February date solidifies WonderCon's status as the first major convention of the year in the United States.

Highlights
Spotlight on Darwyn Cooke:

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE!
Justice League: The New Frontier
only at WonderCon 2008!

wc08_jltnf_lg.jpg

Get Smart w/ Steve Carell
The X-Files w/ Duchovny and Anderson on the panel
Iron Man w/ Jon Favreau (This I can not wait for)

"Special Guests"
Sergio Aragonés
Kurt Busiek
Mike Choi
Becky Cloonan
Darwyn Cooke
Terry Dodson
Mark Evanier
Jim Lee
Steve Leialoha
David Mack
Terry Moore
Noel Neill
Tim Sale
J. Michael Straczynski
Ben Templesmith
Bruce Timm
Herb Trimpe
Bill Willingham
Brian Wood

So WonderCon 2008 is almost upon us and I thought it would be cool to start a thread to see if any of you guys were going and to talk about how awesome the Con should be this year. Last year was the first time I've ever gone to a Con and basically started me on this path of craziness.
Program Guide PDF

smokmnky on

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I plan on going on Saturday.
    Only bummer is it sounds like it's supposed to rain off and on through the weekend so I hope the line to get in doesnt linger outside for a half hour.

akajaybay on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah its supposed to rain but right now it's actually been pretty nice. Who knows how long that'll stay though.

smokmnky on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so did anyone go yesterday? is it worth going? anyone going today?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    I went yesterday and while the panels weren't that great (it being friday and all) I really enjoyed checking out all the booths and vendors and artists. Also, I got to meet Mark freaking Bagley! He's not even supposed to be at the Con but DC brought him in. I talked to him for like 10 minutes since no one around seemed to know or was interested in who he was (at that time). Later on however he had a pretty big line. He was a pretty chill guy, we talked about his new DC work (sounds pretty cool and he's excited about it) and then we started talking about the latest issue of Mighty Avengers. He said that those 3 double page spreads "nearly killed him" but was pretty happy how they turned out.

Anyway, I would definately say that you should check it out today (Saturday) as there will be a lot of really cool panels and stuff (IRON MAN!!!!)

smokmnky on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So what I pitched was a 12-page weekly comic for a buck, called DC Superstars, featuring a 7-page lead story with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, and backup stuff promoting the rest of the line. It'd be a third of a monthly book for a third of the price, so it'd be easy to just grab at the cash register and go, every week, and it'd have modern-day readers getting the kind of news and information I used to get about the whole DC line, as well.
    I thought this exact same thing about Trinity.

looks like Kurt Busiek and I are psychic buddies

Sars_Boy on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    Asked about Aquaman, DiDio asked the fan back who is Aquaman now, to which the fan answered, "I'm not sure right now."

DiDio took a poll of the audience to see which Aquaman was the crowd's favorite, which showed the audience to be split among the different versions. DiDio said that it's something they're trying to figure out - which Aquaman should be the Aquaman to bring back.

Have them both. Make the new one Aqualad or something

because I honestly have no clue what they did with Garth

Garlic Bread on
  • Spectre45Spectre45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm here sitting in hall A watching the x-files panel.

Spectre45 on

Wii Code: Spectre45 - 3045 6435 9861 4101
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    Will Wonder Girl, Robin, and the rest of the sidekicks ever stop being so "emo?" DiDio: "Have you ever met a teenager?"

I would have said, "Have you ever met a superhero?"

every teenager is angsty!

Garlic Bread on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    man, darwyn cooke never comes to the comicon here. i'm totally jealous

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2008
    what comic-con

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008
    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lotta' good teases from WonderCon this year.
    Continuing to throw questions at the fans, DiDio asked which books people were reading and enjoying...which turned to a discussion of Batman and the Outsiders. DiDio said that Green Arrow was recently introduced into the book for a very definite reason, and then asked Robinson, "James, do you enjoy writing Green Arrow?"
    "In the book we can't talk about?" Robinson asked back.

When Green Lantern was mentioned as a fan's favorite, DiDio asked Robinson again, "James, what do you think about Green Lantern?"
    "In the book we can't talk about?" Robinson replied again.
    Carlin added one tease about Tony Bedard's upcoming storyline, saying: "It's been a long time coming, but we're going to see Barbara meet up with the Joker."
    DiDio said that Gail Simone is working on new projects, but declined to say what they are.

But I wanna know nowww.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited February 2008
    Servo wrote: »

servo we are going to hang out there

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »

servo we are going to hang out there

oh, alright. i didn't know anyone else was going.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2008
    i hope i can go

i don't know what my job situation will be (i'm moving to seattle/bellevue next month)

I know Jordyn and Framling will be going

Garlic Bread on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really want to know what Simone is working on. She seems to have dropped a lot of books lately.

Bloods End on
    edited February 2008
    i hope i can go

i don't know what my job situation will be (i'm moving to seattle/bellevue next month)

yeah, framling really wants to meet me, that's for sure

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2008
    i hope i can go

yeah, framling really wants to meet me, that's for sure

is this sarcasm

is there history?

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008
    yeah i jailed him for like a day or something a year or two ago and he decided to not post in gv again until i am no longer a mod, i believe

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2008
    well to be fair, GV is pretty bad

what did you jail him for

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008
    i forget exactly

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2008
    will george washington jog your memory?

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2008
    yeah, baby, yeah, now it's all comin back to me...

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, so one of you guys. One of you guys going to the Emerald City Con? You should go get a sketch from Ryan Ottley for me. You should do that. And one from Brandon Graham too.

You should.

Munch on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, JMS is going to do some work for DC. I may have to expand my DC pull list in response.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, best news from the con for me is that there will be more Welcome to Tranquility in the future. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35725

The X-Files 2 teaser trailer.

Bloods End on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All this X-files stuff makes me want to re-watch all the DVDs again

Took me about 3 years to finish all 9 seasons... but i got discouraged around season 7, which is when I stopped watching the show originally

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I watched all 9 seasons and the movie in little less than a year

it was intense.. sort of

i mean, by the end, what little remained of the "over arcing story" was incoherent

Rans on
    edited February 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    I watched all 9 seasons and the movie in little less than a year

it was intense.. sort of

i mean, by the end, what little remained of the "over arcing story" was incoherent

Definitely. By the end of season 7 it was really hard to understand what was really going on

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I sat in on a little bit of the panel. I think Anderson and Duchovny could not have been more uninterested in it if they tried. I left about 2/3s of the way through and was glad to get out of there.

Also I almost walked over Jim Lee near the DC booth. He is a very tiny man and was below my eye sight, luckly I saw him at the last second and was able to get out of his way.

smokmnky on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    and is it criminal of me to say that by the time season 8 rolled around I welcomed the addition of Doggett?

Mulder has turned into such a pathetic whiny loser by the time Duchovny quit the show full time that I was happy to have someone a bit more... focused join the cast

Rans on
    edited February 2008
    I definitely liked Doggett, yeah

So like, if I go to a con (I'm planning to go to Motor City Comic Con in Novi) what is it usually like with the guests? Huge lines? You just walk up and get an autograph? I primarily want to see Gregory Itzin (President Logan from 24) but if there are cool comic artists there maybe I could get a sketch or something? I didn't recognize any names from the list as comic people I'd recognize, but I'm a huge nubcake.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited February 2008
    It really depends on how big the con is, WonderCon is considered a "smaller" con so generally you can just walk up and talk to the people. My guess is you shouldn't see to big of a line.

smokmnky on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    From CBR's report on the Wildstorm panel.
    Fans asked about Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips’ "Sleeper," and if there is there any chance that some of the characters may show in "Number of the Beast." "Yes, they will show up," is all Peterson had to say.

*ahem*

Woo Fucking HOO!

Crimsondude on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    It really depends on how big the con is, WonderCon is considered a "smaller" con so generally you can just walk up and talk to the people. My guess is you shouldn't see to big of a line.

My friend and I just ordered our tickets for the San Diego Comic-Con and thinking of lines now scares me. D:

I am pretty excited though, I have never been to one of these, but I followed last years online and I can't wait to buy me some goods.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited February 2008
    smokmnky on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

So is this one of the things to do at a Con? Is it common for someone to get an autograph + drawing from the same person? Just curious as to what the main things to do at a Con (well, Comic Con).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Faceless CowardFaceless Coward Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They exhibited the Lost videogame at WonderCon. It had good graphics but everyone had these creepy glassy eyes that barely moved. Also they made the mistake of introducing a confusing 2D puzzle way early in the game.

But it was good.

As for the New Frontier? It was enjoyable to watch but a far cry from it's source material. The best parts of the story...hell it seemed like all the story was cut from the original graphic novel. They simply jumped to all the action. Well, the voices also sounded extremely robotic and judging from the cheesy lines and childish humor mixed in with copious amounts of blood and swearing, they couldn't decide who their audience was. People in the audience laughed a lot at the wrong times.

But it being Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke, it's still gold. Albeit tainted gold.

Faceless Coward on
    newsigpa4xj.jpg