As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Steam] Thread - YGHJ on the Right and Gamepad on the Left

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I read that as him just not wanting anyone to play his copy.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    rahkeesh2000Pixelated PixieCorriganXKalnaurMadicanIanator
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    No one ever said writing's easy, which is why developers should hire actual writers for story-based games. A bad ending can sour an entire game for me, and at least one game managed to do so to such an extent that I took the physical disc out of the console and destroyed it with a hammer so that not only so I would never play it again but neither would anyone else.

Now you've got me curious what faceplanted the ending that badly.

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis. The version they initially released for the 360, long before they ever made the DLC "sequel".

WotanAnubis
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think a lot of people had the same experience with Mass Effect 3.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It wasn't just that the ending was bad, it was that the story broke its own established rules to pull it off and directly called you stupid for not knowing it was going to do that while also having absolutely no way to actually prevent it.

WotanAnubis
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It wasn't just that the ending was bad, it was that the story broke its own established rules to pull it off and directly called you stupid for not knowing it was going to do that while also having absolutely no way to actually prevent it.

Yeah, I'm familiar. I feel like ME3 did something just as bad by not respecting the player's decisions after spending so long promising that it would.

RoyceSraphim
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 12
    LD50 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm familiar. I feel like ME3 did something just as bad by not respecting the player's decisions after spending so long promising that it would.

This reminds me of Dragon Age II, where I helped the mages and helped the mages and helped the mages .. and then at the end the mages went "nobody ever helps us so we'll all just turn into demons to kill everybody". I only played ME3 with the added ending DLC so DA2 is my personal traumatic enragingly stupid ending.

Mirkel on
    an_alt
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

This reminds me of Dragon Age II, where I helped the mages and helped the mages and helped the mages .. and then at the end the mages went "nobody ever helps us so we'll all just turn into demons to kill everybody". I only played ME3 with the added ending DLC so DA2 is my personal traumatic enragingly stupid ending.

DA2's was worse than ME3's. At least ME3's was just clicking a dumb button at the end, DX:HR style. DA2 couldn't decide if it wanted to actually have C&C show up in the city over the 10 year timespan, of if it wanted the lack of agency to actually be a thematic element.

steam_sig.png
    Stormwatcher
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

ME3 broke some of its own established story/lore rules too, which was my biggest beef with it. The Extended Cut did fix a lot of that... enough that I was okay with it. Any remaining gripes were relatively minor. (And, to be fair to it, a lot of the player's decisions had their repercussions play out earlier in the game; ME3 itself is one very large ending, in a sense.)

ME3's Citadel DLC, while not wrapping up the story itself (it takes place before the point of no return prior to the ending), is, in a more meta kind of way, a "true" sort of ending. It's famously fanservice-y in the best ways, beautifully written and performed, and provides a genuinely satisfying send-off to the trilogy, which it even hints at being in its dialogue.

an_alt
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Rage and Dark Void come to mind for different reasons

cooljammer00
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I absolutely hated the entirety of the me3 ending. So much that it honestly soured my outlook on the other games in the series.
    Your entire game is about making choices and experiencing the outcomes of those choices as they go through the story, then your ending is "okay ignore everything else, here are 3 options pick what you want". It just completely let me down after I enjoyed so much of it.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    DA2's ending I mostly forgive because of the bullshit dev timeline EA forced on them. If they had more time, they would have changed the mage route to be more equivalent to the Templar route, I feel confident.

Templar: Assault the mage holdout, fight a big Blood Mage boss, fight mutated Templar leader who has lost their reason.

Mage: Defend the mage holdout, (can't just have nothing here, it would be lame to have no big boss fight, so they just had you fight the same boss anyway) so instead, maybe some kind of mage or demon the Templars have on a leash could be the boss fight, fight the mutated Templar leader.

FencingsaxEtiowsa
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    No one ever said writing's easy, which is why developers should hire actual writers for story-based games. A bad ending can sour an entire game for me, and at least one game managed to do so to such an extent that I took the physical disc out of the console and destroyed it with a hammer so that not only so I would never play it again but neither would anyone else.

Now you've got me curious what faceplanted the ending that badly.

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis. The version they initially released for the 360, long before they ever made the DLC "sequel".

That ending was such a bleak betrayal.

And yet I still enjoyed the rest of the game enough that I also bought the edition with the sequel DLC.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    Didn’t they end up releasing a dlc to basically retcon that ending away?

I remember how mad people got about Fallout 3’s ending back in the day.
    Fuck you Fawkes

Edit: Also in regards to Fallout 3 in general:

1. The brotherhood and the players dad want to install the water chip to give the people of the wasteland free water.
    2. John Henry Eden wants to kill all humans in DC by poisoning the water instead.
    3. Colonel Autumn specifically thinks Eden’s plan is crazy, and wants to use the water chip to purify water to get good PR for the enclave and make a new enclave based state consisting of the DC wastelanders.
    4. Colonel Autumn has completely sidelined Eden by the time the player gets captured, and after the player escapes Eden is most likely blown the fuck up anyway.
    5. Umm what the fuck is everyone fighting over in the second half of the game again?

I mean what’s the worst thing that could happen? The enclave uses its control over the water supply and sudden popularity to create an authoritarian state that invades Massachusetts? Oh wait…

Jealous Deva on
    Commander Zoom
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Dark Void, you can almost see where they ran out of time and/or money.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    RoyceSraphim
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 12

Fuck you Fawkes

I was going to mention exactly this.

"We're already working on the DLC, just wait a few months and you can pay us more money for a new ending that isn't stupid."

Commander Zoom on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    k5lvyytmqp8n.jpeg

That’s both smart, scummy, and hilarious at the same time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Commander ZoomDrovekElvenshaeCorriganXKoopahTroopahbloodatonementStabbity StyleDonnictonPoketpixieshdwcasterBetsuniIanatorCorsiniFencingsaxMorninglordRoyceSraphimTalus9952an_altIoloMcMoogleXaquinDoctorArchStormwatcher
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Fuck you Fawkes

I was going to mention exactly this.

"We're already working on the DLC, just wait a few months and you can pay us more money for a new ending that isn't stupid."

I love Fallout 3 to death but there were so many things about that game’s writing that were just massively stupid.

People down Fallout 4, but hell man Fallout 3…. The only reason I can see people didn’t react the same way to Fallout 3 is that it’s so dumb from the beginning that people just didn’t take it seriously at all, and from that point the reasonably fun exploration and gameplay took over.

FiatilJazz
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    k5lvyytmqp8n.jpeg

Seems like a weird choice unless they don't want people beating the game that quickly, which doesn't matter once they've given you money to play it. Maybe people will speed run and refund, but that's not the same as playing it normally.

I hope it's the headliner for the next GDQ

steam_sig.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 12
    So I more or less did everything there is to do in Love Too Easily, that K-FMV dating sim-esque thing I was gushing about before:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2274500/Love_Too_Easily/

Overall? It's cute, but a hot mess, much like the protagonist.
    kavlklbi7klq.png

A lot of the 'choices' don't really result in anything different, much like the griping with ME3 earlier. It's a very linear game, and it has a TON of choices, so for them to just do nothing with it is pretty disappointing.

4k18nb8c0p16.png

There's a good dozen or so endings, but they mostly hinge on choices made at the very end, or evidence you find along the way.

Some of the minigames are fun, though, especially the barista one, which was probably the best part of the game.

bz064dqerq46.png

You have a VERY short amount of time to make some ridiculously elaborate drinks, and it seems like it could've been a game all its own.

Also, the FMV parts are a pain in the neck, often requiring pinpoint timing with very little warning(but failing doesn't change much anyway).

x9k1lmzxc4u2.png
    (Aww, she thinks she's Kiryu, isn't that cute)

Lastly, the translation is all over the map, going from passable to ATROCIOUS, especially the grammar, all stuff a simple spellcheck could've caught.

v0gnw8tvoitx.png

muw0c2cobxi1.png

ginhtt6u6mj3.png

TLDR - It's a cute diversion, but there's not a whole lot there beyond that.
    (Again, kind of like the protagonist.)

I will give them props for one thing though: the video footage itself is gorgeous, and the acting is fine, so they spared no expense there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    BetsunicB557ThawmusIanatorRoyceSraphimKarozan_altIolo
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    @Jragghen hit me with Rockman Legacy 2 collection. Thanks!

MugsleyCorriganXKalnaurJazzPoketpixiebloodatonementMNC DoverBetsuniJragghenIanatorRoyceSraphimTalus9952Karozan_alt
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular

I think the most recent (and granted it’s a couple years old) one for me was sci-fi puzzle game Filament where, after solving a bunch of brain melting puzzles and slowly unraveling this big mystery about who you were, why you were on this starship orbiting a strange planet, and where did everyone else disappear to? The ending straight up made me go WTF? and hit the Steam forums, only to find that no one else had any better idea than I did.

Also, (dis)honorable mention to games with endings that set up an obvious sequel or continuation, only for said games to never get a chance. Looking specifically at you, SiN and SiN Episodes.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Not HL2.2, we can't count to 3?

steam_sig.png
    shdwcaster
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Not HL2.2, we can't count to 3?

Too obvious. Or I just forgot the number 3. 😅

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Explosion of giveaways!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Oh, you want more? Well:
    signature.png

Couple more days. Make sure to enter for games you want, one of these only has one entry!

Giveaways over. @Talus9952 won Vampire Survivors, @cooljammer00 won Say No! More, @cyko won Minute of Islands, and @FishMist used up the rest of their luck for the year winning the 4 remaining games.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Betsunicj iwakuraJazzIanatorMNC DoveremnmnmeRoyceSraphimTalus9952Karozan_altIolo
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Anyone want MegaMan LC Vol1 or MM11

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Karoz
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Hell @bloodatonement , I'd take 11. Between you and Jragghen I won't need the Humble haha.

CorriganXBetsuniMNC DoverKarozan_alt
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    there's some free remote play point shop swag available for FREE! (under From Sales And Events):
    iwjbifo22ujw.png

BetsuniCommander ZoomJeixKoopahTroopahRoyceSraphimIolo
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »

I think the most recent (and granted it’s a couple years old) one for me was sci-fi puzzle game Filament where, after solving a bunch of brain melting puzzles and slowly unraveling this big mystery about who you were, why you were on this starship orbiting a strange planet, and where did everyone else disappear to? The ending straight up made me go WTF? and hit the Steam forums, only to find that no one else had any better idea than I did.

Also, (dis)honorable mention to games with endings that set up an obvious sequel or continuation, only for said games to never get a chance. Looking specifically at you, SiN and SiN Episodes.

Crimson Gem Saga(aka Astonishia Story 2) for the PSP was a big offender for me. It ended on a sequel hook that could land a whale shark and it never got a followup. Unfortunately the Korean gaming space is an agar.io of companies constantly popping up, eating each other and getting eaten so it's basically impossible to track what happened to the developer nowadays, suffice to say I'm not ever expecting it to be finished.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    On the subject of bad/unsatisfying endings, am I the only one who played Xenogears?

Disc 1: awesome JRPG combining martial arts combo based combat and mechas, like Final Fantasy does Power Rangers.

Disc 2: A slideshow in which characters literally do the reality show thing where you sit in front of a camera (visible in the scene, not the POV camera!) with a picture of the scene shown next to you while you talk about the events. Interspersed with a half dozen boss battles and a couple single screen dungeons with thematically inconsistent enemies so you have something to level up on. Final boss had a hard crash bug that literally required an exploit to beat.

Mass Effect 3 barely registered to me after that shit.

Hevach on
    There seems to be a bunch of fmv games from Asia on steam lately, some of which seem to be reviewing decently.

steam_sig.png

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited February 12

@bloodatonement I'll take MM LC Vol 1 if nobody else claimed it.

Edit: My bad, I mistook that for MM Battle Network Legacy Collection Vol 1. I apparently already have MM LC V1.
    Hevach wrote: »
    On the subject of bad/unsatisfying endings, am I the only one who played Xenogears?

Disc 1: awesome JRPG combining martial arts combo based combat and mechas, like Final Fantasy does Power Rangers.

Disc 2: A slideshow in which characters literally do the reality show thing where you sit in front of a camera (visible in the scene, not the POV camera!) with a picture of the scene shown next to you while you talk about the events. Interspersed with a half dozen boss battles and a couple single screen dungeons with thematically inconsistent enemies so you have something to level up on.

I wonder if I still have the discs for it. Been hoping that someone would re-release that game since I have never seen anyone mention that game ever again.
    Edit: Yes, I did finish that game, and loved it. Even the weird mental torture they put me through in Disc 2.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    HevachKoopahTroopah
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

@bloodatonement I'll take MM LC Vol 1 if nobody else claimed it.

Disc 2: A slideshow in which characters literally do the reality show thing where you sit in front of a camera (visible in the scene, not the POV camera!) with a picture of the scene shown next to you while you talk about the events. Interspersed with a half dozen boss battles and a couple single screen dungeons with thematically inconsistent enemies so you have something to level up on.

I wonder if I still have the discs for it. Been hoping that someone would re-release that game since I have never seen anyone mention that game ever again.
    Edit: Yes, I did finish that game, and loved it. Even the weird mental torture they put me through in Disc 2.

My understanding is Square couldn't just make it anymore without the creator who left for Monolith and started over with Xenosaga.

Disc 2: A slideshow in which characters literally do the reality show thing where you sit in front of a camera (visible in the scene, not the POV camera!) with a picture of the scene shown next to you while you talk about the events. Interspersed with a half dozen boss battles and a couple single screen dungeons with thematically inconsistent enemies so you have something to level up on. Final boss had a hard crash bug that literally required an exploit to beat.

IIRC, that's because they literally spent all of the money on Disc 1 and then realized, oops, we're only halfway through the game. (Very Gainax.)

Hevachrahkeesh2000LD50McMoogle
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

bloodatonement I'll take MM LC Vol 1 if nobody else claimed it.

My understanding is Square couldn't just make it anymore without the creator who left for Monolith and started over with Xenosaga.

Well that is unfortunate. Now I know why I see Xenosaga remade all over the place, but never Xenogears.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

IIRC, that's because they literally spent all of the money on Disc 1 and then realized, oops, we're only halfway through the game. (Very Gainax.)

The popular story is that Square siphoned more and more budget and team away from Xenogears to shove into FF8. Not sure how true that story is nowadays, considering that Takahashi has always had a reach that exceeded the grasp of his teams.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    korodullin wrote: »

The popular story is that Square siphoned more and more budget and team away from Xenogears to shove into FF8. Not sure how true that story is nowadays, considering that Takahashi has always had a reach that exceeded the grasp of his teams.

Yeah, the way it just seems to keep happening... as I said, very Gainax.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    k5lvyytmqp8n.jpeg

I know technically they did nothing wrong

But when all the cooler devs actually like to engage and respect speed runners love of their games, that just comes off as spiteful.

And they really don't have the tiniest sliver of respect left anyway.

Personally, I think it's really fucked up, and I almost guarantee it was dobe with ill intent.

MNC DoverKarozKalnaur
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    I need to come back to dark void because its really good mechanically, and holds its own until the home stretch.
    See
    https://youtu.be/im9oFIVtvcc?si=sNr52dVKiI9XtChq

Its clearly a money issue because the world stayed believable in that pulpy sci fi way. It was damn fun.

It fuckng works, then all the 3d characters become paper dolls.

You grieve for what it could have been.

Cleavage that could hope a tree, indeed

RoyceSraphim on
    an_altJazz
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    edited February 13

Giveaways over. @Talus9952 won Vampire Survivors, @cooljammer00 won Say No! More, @cyko won Minute of Islands, and @FishMist used up the rest of their luck for the year winning the 4 remaining games.

Thanks for Vampire Survivors @The_Spaniard !

Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
    BetsuniDr. ChaosIanatorMNC DoverKarozan_altJazzKalnaurPoketpixie