As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    This game is awesome.

DJ Eebs on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    i got this for the WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Whippy on
  • headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i got this for the WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

How is it?

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    fun if you're a comic nerd

kinda mediocre otherwise

Whippy on
    edited November 2006
    hey spider-man what's the word

grease

DJ Eebs on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Colossus's "charge forward then beat the shit outta this first guy you hit" move is saving my team every single time I play this.

And I desperately need to find somebody to replace Wolverine. I'm thinking Mr Fantastic or Thing, though a quick character would be nice as I'm only using tanks and ranged fighters (Iceman, Colossus and Storm) at the moment.

I still don't think it's as good as XML2 though.

ben0207 on
    edited November 2006
    I love Colossus's running tackle and beatdown move so much.

I also love picking up dudes and using them as weaponry.

DJ Eebs on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ben0207 wrote:
    Colossus's "charge forward then beat the shit outta this first guy you hit" move is saving my team every single time I play this.

And I desperately need to find somebody to replace Wolverine. I'm thinking Mr Fantastic or Thing, though a quick character would be nice as I'm only using tanks and ranged fighters (Iceman, Colossus and Storm) at the moment.

I still don't think it's as good as XML2 though.

Here is a secret. I think you could solo the game with Dr. Strange. He is far better than Wolverine.

skippydumptruck on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, Dr. Strange's comic mission was one of the last ones I was able to do, because he's such a terrible fighter. I wasn't able to beat it til I figured out I was just supposed to spam Dark Magic over and over.

Scooter on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dr. Strange is kind of a weird fighter. You really have to rely on his powers A LOT.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dark magic and the radial attack that is fire and gives you a % of damage to your own health? That is an unstoppable combo.

Strange is too awesome to actually physically touch an enemy.

skippydumptruck on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dr. Strange is kind of a weird fighter. You really have to rely on his powers A LOT.

Yeah... he's Dr. Strange... he wouldn't sully his fancy clothes by touching someone. But god... do I love his Dark Magic move... it's awesome if it works when you are in the middle of getting your ass kicked.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dr. Strange's Hold + Strong attack move is pretty fun to watch, too.

cytorak on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spent most of the day playing this with 3 other guys in the barracks. I know this is borderline necroposting, but I wanted to chime in saying it's very fun. I am a little disappointed with Cap's shield toss ability (shield bounces to slowly and it's a pain when it runs off screen) and Sue isn't as powerful as she should be. Looking forward to playing as Doc Strange, we unlocked him last night right before bedtime.

Regina Fong on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok, I need a little input. I'd like suggestions on powers and costumes.

To start off, I'd like input on Spidey, Deadpool, Cap, and Iron Man.....

Oh yeah, I have Colossus and Moon Knight thanks to that slick mod, on the off chance that Moon Knight is ridiculously better than Cap or Iron Man, let me know about him too.

P.S. Yes I am crossposting this in the other thread.

On the subject of Moon Knight, I'd say he's actually waaaaay better than Cap. Seriously, his Nunchaku are death sticks to put it lightly. Max them out, turn them loose on a boss, and watch as it dies in well under five seconds.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    http://www.marvelmods.com/

New site that the guys posting at gamespot put together. Has some skins, the original Col/MK mod, a fix to put MK's staff back in now that it works (the current staff is Gambit's Lightstaff), and a Mod that replaces a costume slot on a character with Mandarin. They're stilll trying to hack the PSP code to add the PSP exclusives without replacing someone else on the roster.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • SupramanSupraman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've found that my team of Deadpool , Iron Man, Colossus, and Ghost Rider with reserves of Blade , Daredevil, Silver Surfer and Dr.Strange can pretty much kill the bejeezus out of any body. Dr.Stranges special that makes enemies into boxes is awesome. Daredevil is also suprisingly powerful.
    Deadpool is a bit too much of a tank though, on my 2nd playthrough I took him off my team.

Supraman on
    Sellin my comics. PM for huge list and low low prices. this the is craaaaazy supraman suprasale. All TPBs. over 142 trades. Marvel DC Image.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The beauty of this game is that anyone can be an awesome powerhouse. You can literally just take your favorite character and make them a complete badass...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    The beauty of this game is that anyone can be an awesome powerhouse. You can literally just take your favorite character and make them a complete badass...
    Awesome, I was afraid Ms. Marvel was gonna suck ass.

The Muffin Man on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't decide between getting this or Madden Wii.

I don't have a 360 or PS2, and my PC is pretty shitty, so the Wii would be the only version I could play, pretty much.

Mai-Kero on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Awesome, I was afraid Ms. Marvel was gonna suck ass.

She was one of my favorites. I tried to use just about everybody, depending on who made sense for the location or enemies, but Ms. Marvel was one of my defaults along with Spider-Woman and Deadpool.

Scooter on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Captain America is like the best damn character in the game

Mister Longbaugh on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Captain America is like the best damn character in the game

The shield throw attack is perfect for those damn rooms where they toss 6 stupid baddies at you. And his WW2 outfit is bad ass, not even talking about the stats...totally on looks alone.

Marathon on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    goddammit i want the wwII costume so bad but i can't beat winter soldier.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    goddammit i want the wwII costume so bad but i can't beat winter soldier.

Really? I got it my frst try. Guess we know who wins the nerd-off between you and I.

Marathon on
    edited December 2006
    i guess so

(how'd you do it?)

i just can't do enough damage to winter soldier fast enough

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    i guess so

(how'd you do it?)

I just kinda went up and wailed on him. I think I used the shield throw quite a bit too. Remember, you don't have to wait for it to come back to you before you can throw it again. If you just use the throw command it will magically be right back with you.

Marathon on
    edited December 2006
    i know!

goddammit

i guess i just made my cap into a support guy more than a stand and fight guy inadvertantly

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Captain America didn't defeat Hitler by being a support character. Shame on you Servo.

Marathon on
    edited December 2006
    he helped beat up dr doom by being one though!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    he helped beat up dr doom by being one though!

It's thinking like that that puts my Captain America into his WWII gear while yours is left wanting.

Marathon on
    edited December 2006
    you got me there

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    i guess so

(how'd you do it?)

Do you mean that the time runs out, or that Winter Soldier kills Cap? Because I failed this a few times until...

[spoiler:381d50921a]I realized that you can use the console that's blinking to set the timer back. I had tried using the console nearest me the first time, and when it didn't produce any kind of "Oh, this isn't the right console" message I assumed I was on the wrong track. Oops. I don't think I was ever in real danger of being killed.[/spoiler:381d50921a]

Orogogus on
    edited December 2006
    Orogogus wrote:
    Servo wrote:
    i guess so

(how'd you do it?)

Do you mean that the time runs out, or that Winter Soldier kills Cap? Because I failed this a few times until...

[spoiler:0601cdf27b]I realized that you can use the console that's blinking to set the timer back. I had tried using the console nearest me the first time, and when it didn't produce any kind of "Oh, this isn't the right console" message I assumed I was on the wrong track. Oops. I don't think I was ever in real danger of being killed.[/spoiler:0601cdf27b]

i know!

i know!

i just run around and hit the blinking consoles and get an 30 extra seconds at a time to weakly swat at the winter soldier until he fucking wears me down and i die because there's no health anywhere or the time runs out

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, I dunno. The game is pretty liberal about letting you shift your upgrade points around, though, so take them out of whatever skills you have that aren't working (e.g., shield charge or energy shield) and then rearrange it. If memory serves, the shield bash is what you can use to dish out damage. You can charge it up, too, but I don't know if it really helped very much.

Plus, if you keep losing the mission you'll build up a ton of credits, which you can dump into your outfit skills.

Health potions will fall out of Winter Soldier when you beat him up enough.

Orogogus on
    edited December 2006
    Thats a good point. Ive noticed that if you can hit most of the bosses with a fully charged bash attack they will usually give up a bunch of health and energy orbs or whatever you wanna call them.

Marathon on
    edited December 2006
    alright, well i'm rearranging all my stats and trying again

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006
    hey whaddya know

shield bash was the key to victory

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think using Ultimate Nick Fury to kill [spoiler:ec7e9ef74a]Dr. Doom[/spoiler:ec7e9ef74a] singlehandedly, after he spent so much time and effort to assemble the Earth's greatest heroes, is irony distilled.

cytorak on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So if I could not get into XML, would I like this game? I work at Sears, and see commercials for it every 15 minutes, and it looks kind of fun. XML was more fun for me to watch than it was for me to play though.

DouglasDanger on