As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Witcher Enhanced Edition announced

MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin techRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Xpoast from RPGCodex:
CD Projekt announced at a press conference today that on May 16 this year the company will release The Witcher Enhanced Edition worldwide.

Aside from the basic game patched to the latest version, the package will include the D'jinni Mod Editor, a music CD, and two premium modules: "The Price of Neutrality" and "Side Effect". The first one will show events that happened before the ones in Sapkowski's books, and the second one will focus on the adventures of Dandelion the bard. You can also expect some additional gadgets.

Maciej Szczesnik – Project Manager from CD Projekt RED, speaks about the new edition:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be a completely polished product. A product that is rarely found on the PC market. Of course, it would be best if the premiere edition could look that way. For different reasons that was not achieved, now we're trying to make up for it. It should be easier for the fact that there aren't that many elements in the game which need improvement. Work is being done on two levels. One concerns the removal of technical obstacles that hinder the player from properly using the game and thus gaining enjoyment from it. By that I mean level loading times, which will be reduced by 80%, the stability of the game on different configurations, as well as a whole array of smaller fixes that will increase interactivity and precision in combat. The other level consists of very important changes that are not usually found in patches. First and foremost, the English language version will be, for the most part, completely re-done. The amount of text in that version was reduced compared to other language versions and that was said to cause a significant decrease in immersion and atmosphere. Now the English version will be as polished and atmospheric as the other language versions. Speaking of language versions, most of them will be more or less improved. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where we are planning to re-record the voices for many of the characters. The most important improvements concern those elements of the game that the players criticized the most. So for example, over 50 new supporting character models will be added, so that the player won't run into the same person too often. The inventory panel will be re-designed and improved, and some elements of the main game screen will be polished. However, one of the biggest changes that will greatly increase the player's immersion in the game world will be improvements concerning dialogue scenes. Both Geralt and the NPCs will get over 100 new animated gestures which will make their "body language" during a conversation much more natural. Additionally, the face animation and lip-sync system will be re-created, making the faces of the speakers now even more natural as well. Of course, I've mentioned only the most important changes, and that's still a lot. There will be many smaller changes that will make the game more fun. I'm convinced that, thanks to them, The Witcher will be an almost ideal game.

Everyone who has already purchased and registered The Witcher will be able to download the editor and the premium modules for free from CD Projekt website. According to the Enhanced Edition factsheet, some of the new elements will be released earlier than the new edition itself. The D'jinni Mod Editor will be released on March 14, along with one of the premium modules, "The Price of Neutrality".

Aside from CD Projekt RED Studio, which now focuses on The Witcher and two other, unannounced projects, CD Projekt has also purchased the majority of shares of Metropolis Software, known for their Gorky series. It was also announced that the company will go public in 2009.

Mayday on

• AdimaxAdimax Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm really looking forward to D'jinni's release, though the rest of the updates are also very welcome. Reading through the list of enhancements again, it doesnt strike me as much that the game updates (2.0) are going to interfere with any modding we may be able to do in it.

I'd like to establish this post (if that's alright) as breeding grounds for any ideas/directions I (or anyone else) may go in with D'jinni. I've done a bit of modding in the past (a bit in Half-Life, heavily in NWN and Morrowind) and loved this game so much - from the day I beat it several months ago, and every replay through since - I've been waiting for this editor.

If this needs a new post in another area though, just let me know. I'll be posting regularly and looking for ideas and critique of what I plan to do with the game.

---

For starters, here's something I created from scratch:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pX6kY8CmrVxkuzoNZ6eBGAw&hl=en

(for those without the Google, it's a break down of all the potions/oils/bombs)

I'd like to expand on Alchemy quite a bit with the editor. I did not mind the system, it was mathematically quite beautiful... and its game effects noticeably softened the 'hard' setting. But I'm a bit of a squirreller and enjoy MMORPGs, so what I really wanted was:

1. more potions
    2. ingredients that make certain potions more potent(strong/super/powerful) [Tawny Owl]
    3. rare ingredients (randomly) off monsters and fauna
    4. more mixing of potions (or rather, rebuilding) in the vein of White Gull

(for example) X Plant + Y Plant + Vampire Blood = Draining Base
    Draining Base + X Plant + Y Plant + X [Monster Type] Blood = Oil of [Monster Type] Leeching (% life returned when dealing melee damage with a weapon coated with this to the appropriate type)

(and a step further)
    Oil of [Monster Type] Leeching + X Ingredient + Y Ingredient = Oil of [Monster Type] Slaying (% life returned + % bonus damage when dealing melee damage with a weapon coated with this to the appropriate type)

I'm not sure if this could work (in essence, be both a useable item on a weapon from the inventory AND a potion base), but I'm hoping its that robust of an editor.

5. more potions
    6. more potions

And by 1, 5, and 6 I dont mean recycled or slightly better potions - I'd really like to see what the engine can do. For example, I embrace balancing great power but at a severe drawback... or at best a situational drawback:

Potion does X but takes away the ability to use Signs.
    Potion does X but completely halts ALL Vitality regen/renewal.
    Potion does X but adds about 1/10th of the total length of your toxicity meter every 5 seconds (hope you have a White Honey!).
    Potion does X and requires a full Stamina bar, which it empties upon consumption + regen of Stamina is cut in half.

And on and on and on... and thats only half the fun (positive side effects being the other).

So I'll stop for now, work is calling... but if anyone has ideas or wanted to see certain potion types or effects in the game, please post them here. I'm probably going to move into Alchemy on the release of the editor, tinker around there, and expand outward.

As always, TIA.

Adimax on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Apparently you can't mod the existing game, only create new modules with the editor.

devoir on
  • NativityInBlackNativityInBlack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They annouce a full xpac, now that would be sweet. :)

NativityInBlack on
  • AdimaxAdimax Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Apparently you can't mod the existing game, only create new modules with the editor.

:cry:

Still happy we are getting something to work with, but that really, really bums me out.

Adimax on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One of these days I might have to beat the game, but something about it didn't do it for me.

urahonky on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So if it sold enough to get a new edition does this improve the odds of a console version? Also, why am I the only person not interested at all about modding games? I think the developers do a fine enough job of making games without me or others making changes.

ZombieAsuma on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So if it sold enough to get a new edition does this improve the odds of a console version? Also, why am I the only person not interested at all about modding games? I think the developers do a fine enough job of making games without me or others making changes.

Yeah, creativity is dumb.

august on
    edited February 2008
    But being snarky of other's opinions sure is fun.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited February 2008
    Aww.

august on
  • limitbreakerxlimitbreakerx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What is a module?

limitbreakerx on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A separate adventure, a different scenario, a different story- whatever you call it.

Mayday on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah. Who wants stuff like Counterstrike, Natural Selection, Defense of the Ancients and Garrys Mod polluting the internet?
    I do

Cynic Jester on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah. Who wants stuff like Counterstrike, Natural Selection, Defense of the Ancients and Garrys Mod polluting the internet?
    I do

Yeah, mods really do help extend the life of games.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Damn, they're even going as far as re-recording voice acting?(even if it is just the german version) Damn. CD Projekt, I salute you.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's pretty great to see a company doing this. Especially as the game isn't massively mainstream!

Would like to see more of this for sure.

Snare on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What is a module?

A miserable little pile of secrets!

... sorry.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited February 2008

I do

Well to be honest I've only ever heard of one of those, Counter Strike, so I couldn't really tell you how I feel about them. I just get along fine with playing what's already in the game without modding or level editing. Its kind of like when they put the level editor/builder in the Tony Hawk games and I just looked at it like: This is boring.....if I wanted to do this I'd get into making games. I certainly understand the draw and allure of modding and I'm sorry if I came off as smarmy about the whole thing. I honestly wish I hadn't even typed it. But back to my original question....does anyone think that this announcement bodes well for a console release of this game because I'm HIGHLY interested but I don't/can't play games on my PC.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited February 2008
    You don't really know anything at all about mods. Modding is where a most of the best innovation in fps gaming has occurred over the years. We're not talking about some half-assed console level editor, we're talking full games.

I guess if The Witcher is doing well financially they might bring it to console. Or not. I have no idea why this announcement would really make anyone think of that.

august on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

What is a module?

A miserable little pile of secrets!

... sorry.

That was, indeed, awesome Cherrn. :)

Yeah, mods are awesome. I don't think people realize that these games started as mods, and pretty much ended up being "fully fledged" games. (I use those terms loosely).

But seriously, if you've never heard of any of those you should go out and try at least ONE on that list.

urahonky on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This sounds so excellent. I may just buy it again and actually play through it this time--I'm just glad they're redoing the English translation, because it kind of sucked the first time around. The load times and combat difficulties were my only other complaints, and it looks like they're addressing those as well.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game require "1337 gaming r1g"? Or does it run ok on rather "average" computers?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Depends on what you mean by average. Today's average, or two years ago average?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am excited to see the new Inventory and Alchemy screens. I don't want to have to highlight everything in my bags to figure out what I have and what I need to make a damn potion!

Other than that, that should be sweet.

DrunkMc on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll buy this once I upgrade my computer. My current one hasn't been able to run any new games beyond Company of Heroes.

Rhan9 on
    edited February 2008
    august wrote: »
    You don't really know anything at all about mods. Modding is where a most of the best innovation in fps gaming has occurred over the years. We're not talking about some half-assed console level editor, we're talking full games.

I guess if The Witcher is doing well financially they might bring it to console. Or not. I have no idea why this announcement would really make anyone think of that.

Well I can see how I came about thinking that pretty easily. If a game is doing well enough that it is having an Enhanced Edition released then its chances of getting picked up consoles would naturally increase I would think. Ohh and sorry to whoever recommended I try out one of those four games they recommended but I don't play PC games. I've stuck with consoles since I was 4 years old and they've honestly never let me down. I don't think I've ever seen anything on PC that I can't get on consoles that made me want to get into PC gaming. Ohh and wow, you guys get defensive about the whole modding thing. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited February 2008
    You must be fun at parties.

august on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LAN parties, har har.

McAllen on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    august wrote: »

Well I can see how I came about thinking that pretty easily. If a game is doing well enough that it is having an Enhanced Edition released then its chances of getting picked up consoles would naturally increase I would think.

Will it get a console port? Possibly, I think for the time being though they're focussed on getting the mega-patched version out.
    Ohh and sorry to whoever recommended I try out one of those four games they recommended but I don't play PC games. I've stuck with consoles since I was 4 years old and they've honestly never let me down. I don't think I've ever seen anything on PC that I can't get on consoles that made me want to get into PC gaming.

Meh, your choice. It largely depends on what games you're into I guess. I suppose I largely share the same sentiments but in reverse. :mrgreen:
    Ohh and wow, you guys get defensive about the whole modding thing. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Modding has always been a major part of the PC space, it's just that it looks a bit nasty to dismiss it out of hand as "olol, the devs can do better." You get a lot of really interesting innovations and extra value out of your software, and it's a pretty important route into the industry. It might surprise you, but a company like Valve for example has over 50% of their people culled from the mod community.

Without the mod community you wouldn't have seen Counter-Strike or Team Fortress. The rise of realistic and tactical based shooters would have been far slower (if not stagnant altogether), a hundred different innovations and ideas would never have been tested and adopted. And that's just in the FPS genre. If you look at RPG's like Morrowind / Oblivion, the mod community is an incredibly important part of just why that series has always had such long legs, and they've always been able to give the fans what they wanted that may not have been what the devs originally had in mind (like altering the levelling mechanic of Oblivion for example).

Now it's pretty evident you think mods are just level editing or minor additions, so let me just link you here for a second. That's not a comprehensive list of HL2 mods, just a list of most of the more notable ones. And this is just for HL2, there are plenty of other games, with plenty of other mods out there. It should give you some idea of how diverse mods can be, it's not simply Tony Hawk style level editing here! :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    New video interview / preview up for the upcoming mega-patch:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1264#more-1264

The youtube version synchs up properly (the top video has several seconds disjoint between the audio and the video), but has smaller subtitle text, so choose whichever works best for you.

Basically it should be coming out sometime around November / December time. They're going to be including stuff like a map and a soundtrack with the new store-bought release. Although the way he talks about it makes it sound as if that stuff was released with the regular edition. Maybe that was the case with the Polish release or something, since my UK edition didn't come with a map. It did come with a music video disc though, which I thought was a mistake at first. :mrgreen:

subedii on