As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me find a desktop for my mother

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
You guys have always been a great help so I thought I'd ask here so that I can get her off my back once and for all.

My mother is in the market for a new desktop, and I've built my last couple desktops so I'm a bit out of the loop as far as decent non top-end desktops go.

My mom is looking for something she can do photo and video editing on, my little brother can write reports and do some gaming on (some not looking for a top end machine here). Mom was interested in a mac, but my little brother won't be able to game on that.

So any ideas on an economical/affordable, decent all around PC for a family, not a serious hardcore gamer that also makes his living on his computers like me?

Besides the usage specs I listed above, she's looking at a budget of between 500-1000 dollars, she wants to get an at least 22" monitor as well with it, we have printers and scanners already, Vista and DX10 capable, burn CDs/DVDs, and be powered by an orphan heart.

Not looking for something top of the line just something capable of those things for a family computer within that price range. Suggestions are much appreciated. And if for some reason you want to overwhelmingly recomend a mac over a PC, then my little brother can go fuck himself on the gaming thing and just use one of the consoles we own.

P.S. she already has a laptop, but for some reason has a bug up her ass now for a desktop. I told her to just stick with the laptop but she won't budge.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know if I was clear, but I'm talking about a pre-fab/pre-built computer for my mom that could be found at like BestBuy or CircuitCity, Frys, etc.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Go to Dell's website and build an Inspiron 530 (Intel) or 531(AMD) system for $999 and use this coupon when you check out GK0PFMHHW8TDBV Here's a quick system I did for you. It needs a better video card so I would get a NVIDIA 8800GT or AMD/ATI 3870. I have this system with a Quad 6600, 3GB RAM and a ATI 3850 and it is almost dead silent.

https://ecomm2.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?cart_id=1005444404360&toEmail=beazle@sbcglobal.net

Beazle on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    how about a base imac and bootcamp it

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I second the iMac suggestion (but then, I would). And gaming on it really isn't that bad.

And as a "family" OS, OS X beats the ever loving shit out of Vista. Mostly because of iPhoto, iDVD (and iMovie) out of the box, as well as the fact your support you presumably do* will drop to roughly nothing.

*You're on PA, so I can safely presume you provide tech support for your family.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    I second the iMac suggestion (but then, I would). And gaming on it really isn't that bad.

And as a "family" OS, OS X beats the ever loving shit out of Vista. Mostly because of iPhoto, iDVD (and iMovie) out of the box, as well as the fact your support you presumably do* will drop to roughly nothing.

*You're on PA, so I can safely presume you provide tech support for your family.
    Speaking from a little experience as someone who recommended a Mac once to a frequent Windows user, your support work could easily double or triple aiding someone in the transition (which for me has gone on for several years now). Macs work nothing like Windows, and they confuse the hell outta Windows users.

That said, I don't have enough experience with enough brands to recommend something. Most PC's seem to come with the shittiest shitfest of pre-installed software you could ever hope for nowadays. I'd look for an iMac style machine (something thats easy to plug in and get working) with almost no preinstalled software, and then (hopefully) you can save a bit of cash to invest in some nice software. Or you could just dig through the recommended software thread in here and go download/setup some nice stuff before your Mom ever had to touch the machine. Something like these Dells looks nice though. I mean, not top of the line shit, but nice. And the stripped down Adobe suite doesn't sound too bad. But I've got no experience with it.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    amusingly enough i'm pretty sure the imac is the cheapest all-in-one

Faricazy on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    She might be better off with an iMac, but frankly I don't use macs and I know that she's going to be asking me how to do this and that which is why I would be more comfortable with the family owning a windows machine. It would also help with my little brothers gaming.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    if she does editing or whatever i assume she's a bit more progressive than most people

either way, those tools on a mac are really easy to use.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    The mid-range HP computers that run on Celerons are actually pretty good. Posting on one right now. Just remember to throw in the GeForce they offer and the gaming is pretty much set, handles at least episode 2/portal just fine.

Cost about 440$ with no monitor and free shipping

HP a6300t
    1GB RAM
    1.8GHz Intel Celeron
    GeForce 8400 (supports DX10)

pretty easy to de-HP too

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    if you buy a celeron these days you deserve to be beaten

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Because I'm pretty sure you need dual cores to word-process?

It completes a Folding@home work unit in a day and a half. It's quiet. It's pretty much what he wants, and his mom/brother needs. Not what you want.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    he said video editing and light gaming

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Both of which it will handle spectacularly.

It's not like they're going to be cutting together hour long movies intended for HD production lines

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm a fan of the Dell refurb site. I've picked up two computers there for me and one for my mom over the years, only ever had to repair one (and it was still under warranty). You can select a line then filter by the specs you want (any or all criteria you feel like). For what you're doing, I'd just go with a minimum of 2GB or ram, a 256MB video card, and see what options it throws up. You can then sort by price (or any other criteria).

If you don't see one you like, just check back in a few days. Also, the minimum you're looking to spend is $400, which is the cutoff for free shipping (or at least it was last I checked).

Bring your own monitor generally, though.

EDIT: And mine came with a vanilla Windows Vista disc, so it was fantastically easy to de-Dellify.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Both of which it will handle spectacularly.

It's not like they're going to be cutting together hour long movies intended for HD production lines

Fyre, no offense, but shut up.

There's no reason to recommend a celeron processor nowadays because you can get a Core 2 Duo in almost any low-end to mid-range machine. They're fantastic processors and there's a reason they're being put in almost everything. You may not need it right now, but why not futureproof when you have the chance? It's not like there's an astronomical jump in cost here, you just have to not buy that specific desktop that you recommended and find another one in the price range with a Core 2 Duo.

I wouldn't make sure it's one of the top of the line super fast clock speed C2D's, but just having another core available does wonders for multitasking.

Monoxide on