My DSL is really, really, really slow through my router

OrganichuOrganichu jacobkoshRegistered User regular
Until recently, I had Comcast for cable internet. I was pretty much happy with the service. Directly to my laptop or through a router, I got good speeds, and bit torrent even went fast (over 400 kbps on hot torrents) despite not bothering with port forwarding. Towards the end of me having Comcast, my uncle (whose computer is also connected to the router) got into bit torrent, too, and that slowed down my torrents a little, but it wasn't bad at all. Just cut my upload speed by about 10kbps, and that was it.

I had to get rid of Comcast. I ended up getting Verizon DSL (Fios isn't available in my area). Connected directly to my laptop via the DSL modem, the speed's fine. Maybe very slightly slower than Comcast, but I'm satisfied. However, when I connect the DSL through the router, the speed drops dramatically. Web pages take 15-20 seconds to load, youtube videos stutter as they load, bit torrent never goes above 20 kbps, etc. Now I don't mind the torrent speeds too much, but why is my speed suffering so severely in everything? It's quite dramatic.

The router is a Belkin F5D5230-4. I've already reset it to factory settings to no effect.

Thanks.

Organichu on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Considering the router is around 6 years old, I would say it's old age.

MKR on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Considering the router is around 6 years old, I would say it's old age.

That was my first thought, too, considering that the recess holding the power cord is eternally loose. Does that explain it considering that the cable seemed to work fine with it, though?

Organichu on
    edited February 2008
    Switching from cable to DSL wouldn't cause it directly, but it may have started showing its age around the same time. Either way, the router is a fossil. Security concerns aside (out of date firmware), you might want to consider getting a new router. If you have access to a newer router, see if it shows the same problem.

MKR on
    edited February 2008
    Aye aye, chief. I don't have another one on hand, but I might as well pick one up while I'm at it. Thanks, jefe.

Organichu on
    edited February 2008
    Sorry for another annoying question.

I figure I might as well make it a wireless router... it's always sucked to not have wireless while having a laptop (none of my neighbors have it). Is there anything fundamentally different from a wireless router to a non wireless router? Like, a wireless router still has a number of ports for wired ethernet, right? It wouldn't have a significant impact on the internet experience of the other two people using the net (on non wireless PCs), right?

Organichu on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not much difference as long as you have a strong signal.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2008
    And secure it.

MKR on