As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Books

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, one of my favorite parts of Crooked Little Vein is when McGill talks to Falconer. Falconer had these little short stories in Warren Ellis' Livejournal, and they were all horrible.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman right now.

It's pretty good so far.

<3 on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I started Fahrenheit 451 the other day. I'm enjoying it already.

"I heard there was a day when Firemen put out fires."

D:

Regicid3 on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm currently reading The Code Book by Simon Singh.

I'm only about 100 pages in, but I've enjoyed it so far. It's not too math heavy but still seems to cover a wide breadth of topics.

I suppose I should man up and read The Codebreakers by David Kahn some day, but I'm afraid my brain may melt.

langfor6 on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Farenheit 451 is one of those books I keep saying I'll read, but I never get around to it.

I have to read that damn book.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You really do.

laughingfuzzball on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh, good, it looks like this thread survived the culling of the megathreads. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I should hope it was. I think there's a place for a thread like this. Individual books don't have giant bursts in popularity like movies do, so making a thread for each book you're reading wouldn't work too well.

Anyway, I'm currently reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving. It's the first Irving I've read, though I own a short story collection edited by him. I really like this book so far. Irving peppers the story with lots of little coincidences that help shape his characters, and it really seems to fit the style and setting (isolated, small-town orphanage--at least so far) of the book. It's an enjoyable read, not taxing without seeming like fluff, and a good bit lighter than Harold Bloom's Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human, sections of which I'm reading along with Hamlet.

Bloom seems to actually worship Shakespeare--I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that. His argument is that Shakespeare created us, modern humans, through the "largeness" of his characters (to Bloom, this means Hamlet and Falstaff especially), and that Shakespeare is likely the greatest literary mind we'll ever see. It's an extreme position to take, and I haven't read nearly enough of Bloom's book to judge it for myself, but I guess that if there's any author for whom that argument could successfully be made, that author is Shakespeare.

Bloom's book is massive, and I almost certainly won't read all of it (I haven't even read most of the plays he discusses), but I'm enjoying reading his section on Hamlet as I read the play for the first time. His comments are a lot more insightful than what I get out of my high school English class.

redhead on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Richard Dawkins is a good read! :3

Lucky Cynic on
    edited February 2008
    Richard Dawkins is a good read! :3
    I love Dawkins. I just finished River out of Eden the other day. I highly recommend it.

I'm currently reading Stalingrad. It's very good.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    i fucking hate henry james
    reading his work is like trying to swim through a pool full of bricks

Kusuguttai on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    'Bogey will probably be happy about this.

Caine Black Knife finally has a release date on the 14th of October, from the authors blog it is sounding really, really good.

"So, essentially, I was (and still am) trying to figure out a way to write an entire novel without any Boring Crap -- you know, the linking narration and scene transitions, the background info-dumps, that kind of shit. Now I know some of you actually like the info-dump kind of stuff (I'm looking at you, Ilya!), but personally I can't stand it . . . and it's my story, after all. If I did it right, all pertinent questions will be answered, at least tangentially. I'm just trying to distill the story . . . if Heroes Die was a sixpack of strong beer, and Blade of Tyshalle was a magnum of amarone, then Caine Black Knife will be a gallon of barrel-proof bourbon.

Bloods End on
    edited February 2008
    guys who wants to help me build a time machine and kill jane austen and henry james

Kusuguttai on
    edited February 2008
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    guys who wants to help me build a time machine and kill jane austen and henry james

harlan ellison

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited February 2008
    we can pick up mark twain on the way to killing austen
    who the fuck doesn't want to party with señor clemens

Kusuguttai on
    edited February 2008
    fucking jane austen

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    I HATE JANE AUSTEN I AM GOING TO HATE HER TO DEATH IN THE PAST

Kusuguttai on
    edited February 2008
    judging from your past few posts on these forums kusu

I'm sure you're high on meth

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Calamity Jane on
  • BagrationBagration Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When I was 12 I was forced to read through Crime and Punishment. It really put me off from reading anything ever since.

=/

Bagration on
    edited February 2008
    Bagration wrote: »
    When I was 12 I was forced to read through Crime and Punishment. It really put me off from reading anything ever since.

=/

Crime and Punishment is a fucking classic and I won't hear a bad word about it.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BagrationBagration Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And I'm not saying anything bad about it. I actually appreciate it now, now like nine years after I read it.

Bagration on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to put Night Watch on hold when I go to the library after school today.
    I keep meaning to, but I never feel like setting up a new PIN now that they switched systems.
    I was also thinking about making a fake thread about Dance of Dragons coming out but I didn't feel like being a dick.

Me Too! on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i'd stab you wiggin

i'd stab you for that

Faricazy on
    edited February 2008
    Remember when I changed the ASOIAF thread name to "RIP George RR Martin"?
    That was rad. People shat.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, I know it is a hated topic but I want to read it anyway, except when I went to the bookstore they didn't have it and their internet search just kept coming up with some play.

I'm guessing I remembered the title wrong.

It was like, "House of Blue Leaves" or something and it was a horror novel.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited February 2008
    13893596.JPG

Also I have been reading a lot of westerns lately for a script I'm writing and I stumbled across this excellent series. It's not really a western per se, more of a frontier story but goddamn, there are tons and tons of great characters and they all die in horrbile, tragic and hilarious ways, sometimes all three at once. Like someone will meet their end and it makes you feel sick but at the same time it's funny and at the same time it makes you want to cry.

Excellent dialogue as well, it's basically about a rich family (The Berrybenders) that decide to go no a massive hunting/painting/exploring trip in the New World on this giant mansion of a river boat. They have cooks, painters, Indian Chiefs, hunters, servants and a stable and damn near everything on this boat. Anyway the wild frontier absolutely has its way with them and I highly recommend it.

trentsteel on

• Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are you thinking about House of Leaves?

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Are you thinking about House of Leaves?

ah that's it

trentsteel on

• Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I liked that book once I got into it.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    House of Leaves is a horror?

Also I looked up House of Blue Leaves to see what that was.
    The House of Blue Leaves is a play by John Guare.

Set in Sunnyside, Queens in 1965, on the day Pope Paul VI visited New York City, the black comedy features nuns, a political bombing, a GI headed for Vietnam, a zookeeper who dreams of making it big in Hollywood as a songwriter, and his wife Bananas, a schizophrenic destined for the institution that provides the play's title.

M.D. on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    pretty much the books i have read lately are as follows

harry potter series (shut up i like it)
    Sherlock holmes series (the collection, sadly only 1st and 2nd)
    kill your idols: tom waits (best short book i have ever read)
    snow crash (almost done with it)

if you guys haven't read any of these i would suggest most of them

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
    edited February 2008

That was my impression.

It's not?

trentsteel on

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »

That was my impression.

It's not?

I dunno, i've never read it.

M.D. on
    edited February 2008
    I wouldn't exactly call it horror, but I would call it creepy.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
    edited February 2008
    so fucking creepy

Faricazy on
    edited February 2008
    someone on here is named "zampano"

Faricazy on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Bagration wrote: »

=/

Crime and Punishment is a fucking classic and I won't hear a bad word about it.

Russian literature is...thick.

Shorty on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't know if she's been mentioned yet, but Robin Hobb is an amazing fantasist. One of the best working today.

I'm certain George R.R. Martin has been mentioned, because this is a books thread on a geeky forum, so let me just say this: As good as he is, Hobb is better.

Start with the Liveship Traders trilogy, ignoring the halfway-silly covers.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Aquasilva trilogy by Anselm Audley is probably the best piece of modern fantasy I've ever read, outside of Neil Gaiman.

Shorty on
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Also I looked up House of Blue Leaves to see what that was.
    The House of Blue Leaves is a play by John Guare.

Set in Sunnyside, Queens in 1965, on the day Pope Paul VI visited New York City, the black comedy features nuns, a political bombing, a GI headed for Vietnam, a zookeeper who dreams of making it big in Hollywood as a songwriter, and his wife Bananas, a schizophrenic destined for the institution that provides the play's title.

Isn't the House of Blue Leaves also that restaurant in Kill Bill?

Odin on