As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Googly eyes Sonic makes me laugh hysterically every time. It's just too much.

He's even in one of the Saturn version betas. The Saturn version didn't come out for months after the Genesis one. It's almost as if they put him in there on purpose as a joke or something.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    dawn2tq8.png
    s3deggmanlh9.png
    901md0dd2.png
    s3dheadhousedc9.jpg
    901xb4mf2.png
    sondashzc2.gif
    soniclolzzzyl7.png
    monwalkerlolxq2jm8.png
    secretlolnj5.png
    dawnlf2.gif
    s3dsshy8.png
    knucklesdumbaw7rc1.gif

:^: But why isn't it your avatar yet?

Peewi on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    This is not the thread for lame-ass Sonic photoshops.

Echo on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    Alright, let me rephrase this:

DON'T FUCKING TALK ABOUT WHERE THIS CAME FROM OR SEVERAL PEOPLE COULD POTENTIALLY GO TO JAIL.

REAL jail, not PA Jail.

oh for pete's sake. can we please cut this mafia bullshit out. I'm all for fairy stories but I'd like the forums to exist at least somewhat in the real world rather than some 15 year old hacker's self important fever dreams.

Tube on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just out of curiosity, I was always big in to the Mortal Kombat games and I hear there was an awful lot hidden around in them. I know this thread is more for sharing info than requesting it, but does anyone have any knowledge on the first few games?

I know some contained reptile, some didn't, some had the shadows moving over the moon. There was rumour of a secret character named Ermac and all the rest of it. I think the original version of MK had around 6 different revisions at the arcade, each adding different things.

Can anyone educate me?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Out of interest TSR, are you "Cooljerk" on the Cult by any chance?

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh for pete's sake. can we please cut this mafia bullshit out. I'm all for fairy stories but I'd like the forums to exist at least somewhat in the real world rather than some 15 year old hacker's self important fever dreams.
    can i just say ive been waiting for this for the entire... year this thread has been going on, i just thought the moderators felt the same way as he did?
    its not like we CAN talk about where the stuff came from, or tell the authorities... because we DONT KNOW. thats why people ASKED.

on topic..
    googly eyes sonic lol

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright, let me rephrase this:

DON'T FUCKING TALK ABOUT WHERE THIS CAME FROM OR SEVERAL PEOPLE COULD POTENTIALLY GO TO JAIL.

REAL jail, not PA Jail.

Goddammit. I actually thought gun guys were chasing TSR down while he ran from hiding place to hiding place holding a briefcase overflowing with top secret documents.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They had a runner inside the Matrix transmit the protos via a hardline before the agents caught up with him.

Glal on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well there's a guy called DRX who posts on Sonic-Cult.org (absolutely, postively NOT WORK SAFE site) and sonicretro.org. He's got a fair bit of money and he takes donations from the community and with that money he persaudes people to hand over betas and various other information that they shouldn't. He's got a lot of contacts and he uses them.

As far as I know that's about as 'deep as the rabbit hole goes.'

I mean look, here he is talking about trying to get a proto from a German magazine:
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=9779

Obviously some of it is more shady, Sega employees who have leaked stuff could get fired etc... but really nobody wants to expose anyone. I've been in what I think is the same community as TSR since around 2001, but I frequented different sites to him. I don't really do that stuff anymore, though.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    They had a runner inside the Matrix transmit the protos via a hardline before the agents caught up with him.

Many people died getting those betas out. sonic3quws9.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    tsrmatrixxh2.png
    He's our savior. Our own personal Jesus Christ.

Glal on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, TSR, do you know anything about Nights, Shining Force or Clockwork Knights?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Two more characters have joined the party.

ps4char8forn.pngps4char9raja.png

Raja keeps his original name. Foren becomes Forn in the prototype and ultimately Wren in the final. (Attentive PS4 fans should recall that when the Daughter AI is shut down and pleading with Wren to stop, the last line she says ends with "Fo....rn...." in the final release.)

Some more random translation weirdness:

ps4airport.png

Should be SPACEPORT.

ps4manmade.png

Should be ARTIFICIAL SATELLITE.

ps4concerned.pngps4fault.png
    ps4shoes.pngps4timing.png
    ps4terribly1.pngps4terribly2.png

And finally, the moment I've personally been waiting for:

ps4patients1.png
    ps4patients2.png
    ps4patients3.png
    ps4patients4.png
    ps4patients5.png
    ps4patients6.png

Non sequitur Raja is going to be so awesome.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Making fun of engrish is not funny

Impersonator on
  • Options
    johnct311johnct311 Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Making fun of engrish is not funny
    I rather think it can be from time to time.

johnct311 on
    JohnCT311.png
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought it was ALWAYS funny. I even own t-shirts.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    <PS4>

POAST MOER PLX@221

PS4 was such an incredible game for its day, easily the equal of Chrono Trigger and FF6. It's a shame it was never as appreciated.

...I'm going to have to go play through that again.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Quake series has it's own little set of things that I've always found interesting.

For instance, both rocket jumping and strafe jumping were bugs in Q1. Rocket jumping was discovered by the devs and they left it in, while bunny hopping and strafe jumping didn't appear until later, when determined players figured them out.

In fact, the Quake series is riddled with movement bugs. Quake had bunny hopping, rocket jumping, circle jumping, strafe jumping, slope jumping, wall sliding/hugging, and double jumping. Quake 2 kept almost all of these "bugs," though there was a very brief period (one patch, that was fixed almost immediately) that "fixed" strafe jumping. The complaints from the fanbase had id patch it back in. It did lose Q1's air control, which prevented bunny hopping, but gained double jumping and better strafe jumping.

The Quake 3 test released to the general public at one point lost strafe jumping when John Carmack said that he didn't like how unrealistic it was when people jumped around constantly.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver don't get down a hallway by hopping
    like a bunny rabbit

It was very quickly undone.

Quake 3 Arena lost bunny hopping, double jumping (except out of teleporters) and slope jumping, but got plasma climbing. There was also a rebound bug that would sometimes send players falling straight down back up to the height they'd fallen, making for some very strange trick jumping situations. It was never fixed in VQ3, but some mods removed it.

The Quake 3 mod CPMA all the old movement tricks back, bringing it very close to Quakeworld, a competitive remake of Quake 1. Eventually CPMA and VQ3 movement were brought together in Defrag mod, a race mod in which people compete for fast times on specifically constructed maps.

Examples of VQ3 bounce bugs: Here. (horizontal bounce at 1:00, 1:23; vertical bounce at 1:47, 4:30)

Examples of Quake 3 movement: CPMA VQ3 and CPMA

There is actual mathematical theory behind strafe jumping and circle jumping. If you're feeling brave you can look it up here: Strafe Jumping Theory Circle Jumping Theory

Descent has it's own version of strafe movement, called trichording, in which a player moves forward, left/right, and up/down at the same time to increase their speed up to 1.7x normal. Can't find any good videos for this yet.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, I was always big in to the Mortal Kombat games and I hear there was an awful lot hidden around in them. I know this thread is more for sharing info than requesting it, but does anyone have any knowledge on the first few games?

I know some contained reptile, some didn't, some had the shadows moving over the moon. There was rumour of a secret character named Ermac and all the rest of it. I think the original version of MK had around 6 different revisions at the arcade, each adding different things.

Can anyone educate me?

Didn't know that Reptile was a random character (thought he was in every version)

Anyway, ErMac was actually Reptile giving a hint (as he did in the first game on occasion) with a ERror MACro along with a bad color pallet (hence red instead of green/blue/yellow). Same thing with the fight later on. Character proved real popular (thanks to EGM) that he became part of the mythos.

Also, Rain was a joke character as well. He never was suppose to be playable and just show up in the opening demo of UMK3 (Purple ninja named Rain. Purple Rain). Again, since Ninjas are cool, they added him in later.

I think the only two characters to actually die and come back are the original Sub Zero and Johnny Cage (who's name is the only place you'll see a C instead of a K)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    The Quake series has it's own little set of things that I've always found interesting.

For instance, both rocket jumping and strafe jumping were bugs in Q1. Rocket jumping was discovered by the devs and they left it in, while bunny hopping and strafe jumping didn't appear until later, when determined players figured them out.

I love how the Tribes Developers made Skiing out to be something that belongs in Tribes 2/Vengeance.

That was an exploit turned game mechanic just like rocket jumping and bunny hopping.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Scrapped boss found in Sonic Adventure prototype. (Loud audio.) Has a full movement pattern programmed but (seemingly) no attacks.

Picking up where we left off in PSIV. Putting this stuff behind spoiler tags for v-scroll rape.
    New character:

ps4char10sela.png

Shesu/Shess (Japanese) > Sela (Beta) > Kyra (Final). She's still called Shesu in some parts:

ps4shesu.pngps4sela.png

General oddness:

ps4joy.pngps4reveived.png
    ps4tress.pngps4fire.png
    ps4ohf.pngps4demons.png

Should be "Ice Digger":

ps4icedecker.png

This NPC literally says nothing:

ps4blank.png

More Non Sequitur Raja:

ps4situation1.png
    ps4situation2.png
    ps4situation3.png

Nonsensical Angry Raja:

ps4hateyou1.png
    ps4hateyou2.png
    ps4hateyou3.png
    ps4hateyou4.png
    ps4hateyou5.png
    ps4hateyou6.png
    ps4hateyou7.png
    ps4hateyou8.png

Nonsensical Angry Rein:

ps4angryrein1.png
    ps4angryrein2.png
    ps4angryrein3.png
    ps4angryrein4.png

"Hurf durf you guys are stupid-heads."

ps4dummies1.png
    ps4dummies2.png
    ps4dummies3.png
    ps4dummies4.png
    ps4dummies5.png
    ps4dummies6.png

More to come later. Currently in the longest dungeon in the game (you know the one) and drastically underleveled. (Chaz/Rika/Rune are all at level 24.)

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Phantasy Star 4 is my favorite RPG (first I ever tried). When I was 12 - 13 I borrowed a friend's Mega Drive and another friend's PS4 cartridge (yes console from friend A and game from friend B) long enough to play right to through. I bought a second hand PS2 Slimline and memory card just so could play the 'Sega Mega Drive Collection' which to me is just my own copy of Phantasy Star 4 on a PS2 disc that apparently has some other Mega Drive games on it.

Question for Sixfortyfive:
    Have you investigated the wreckage near Nayla yet? It is an entirely optional place from memory that you can visit at any point of th game. (I think there is Hunter's Job there later in the game though) It has some cool Phantasy Star back story
    wreckage1.jpg
    wreckage2.jpg
    wreckage3.jpg
    wreckage4.jpg
    wreckage5.jpg
    wreckage6.jpg
    The full conversation between Rika and Chaz was
    Rika: Parma a thousand years ago

Chaz: But... Parma exploded a thousand years ago!?

Rika: Parma, the first planet of the Algo solar system,

Chaz: But there were people that were able to escape!

Rika: some people were able to escape...

Chaz: Then... that means all the Paramians perished?!

Rika: Wait This is not the only ship that escaped from Parma!
    It seems that other similar ships were able to escape. Most of
    them landed in either Motavia or Dezolis, but it looks like some
    of them went right out of the Algo solar system.

Chaz: So they're still continuing their flight... somewhere in the

universe...

The story from that wreckage place is why I always believed Phantasy Star Online did not come after PS4 like alot of people assumed (or said was obvious) there are no Motavians or Dezolozians in PSO which makes sense if Pioneer 1 & 2 were the ships Chaz mentioned

in my game Rika is a "Numan" not a "Newman" like in that beta and PSO

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I did play through the Wreckage but didn't screencap anything. I don't think there was anything of note.

I'm about to grab the Esyldi-whatsit (final sword) right now. I should have this game completed tonight.

Some interesting choice of words in Le Roof's explanation about the Protectors. Makes Chaz's outrage a lot more warranted, IMO.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    I think the only two characters to actually die and come back are the original Sub Zero and Johnny Cage (who's name is the only place you'll see a C instead of a K)

You forgot Liu Kang.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

You forgot Liu Kang.

I don't think being a zombie counts as coming back.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm way underleveled. Not sure if I'll be making it through The Edge tonight after all.

I did find an enemy that didn't make the final cut, though. Somewhat NSFW.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so... is TSR just real busy finding new stuff to talk about, and will post again... or did his stern talking-to cause him to say "screw you guys if you dont respect how daring and dangerous this is" and never share this marginally interesting stuff again?

cause i wouldn't mind seeing a little marginally interesting stuff before bed

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    so... is TSR just real busy finding new stuff to talk about, and will post again... or did his stern talking-to cause him to say "screw you guys if you dont respect how daring and dangerous this is" and never share this marginally interesting stuff again?

He won't even answer my messages. Too good for that, those internet guys.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks to some comments in this thread, I'm trying out Phantasy Star IV for the first time. Seems solid, though I'm barely 30 mins in.

Is PSIII any good? The description sounds awesome. Father, son, and grandson and all that.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love the PS style and worlds, but it's hard to play anything earlier than IV once you've played it. The third one is interesting, but it's really barely even considered part of the series. And IV will just keep getting better as you play it, especially if none of the story has been spoiled for you. Also, try out lots of random spell combinations in your Macros. So much fun...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

He won't even answer my messages. Too good for that, those internet guys.

well... i guess you can never be too careful

you never know if woodward and bernstein are lurking on the forums

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TSR is dead.

Someone at SEGA abducted him and killed him to silence him.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe the police arrested him because he was a wife BETA...

I'm so sorry...

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The first rule of TSR is that you don't talk about TSR.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    TSR is dead.

they weren't from SEGA

this goes deeper than any of us can comprehend

alternatively, are betas ever voluntarily released? and not leaked? or do most developers do their absolute best to make sure nothing but the final version is ever seen by the public?

do smaller developers care less about it, and share it, as compared to the larger ones? or do betas reveal too much about the design process, which developers would desperately try to keep from competitors?

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TSR is dead.

they weren't from SEGA

this goes deeper than any of you can comprehend

We are all in a fictional world that exists only in the imagination of Sonic, the one Truth.
    When TSR exposed Sonic's fallability, he was erased from the common consciousness.

Wait, who's TSR again? Never heard of the guy.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    TSR is dead.

they weren't from SEGA

this goes deeper than any of you can comprehend

We are all in a fictional world that exists only in the imagination of Sonic, the one Truth.
    When TSR exposed Sonic's fallability, he was erased from the common consciousness.

Wait, who's TSR again? Never heard of the guy.

in my belief system, TSR worshipped a false idol, googly eye Sonic, and in turn was smote by the true God, Sonic.
    In my belief system, Sonic is a vengeful god.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    this shit is unreal. The kinds of finds coming out are unbelievable. Especially in regards to Sonic Adventure.

issue1jo3.png

HOLY SHIT

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wait a minute.

Something besides the Saturn used quad polys?

EDIT: Actually, if that's what I think it is, there's probably a function somewhere else that would have converted any quad structures into normal polygons before they're actually rendered.

Sixfortyfive on