As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, I was at Fry's picking up a couple other things and they only had 15-day NCsoft cards. $10 each so that's not TOO bad.

No credit card Noc? I mean, for $15 bucks you could buy 30 days of play online from PlayNC.

Oh I got a card, but I think that 15-days is about all I can afford time-wise at the moment.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys I played WoW all day with some RL friends.
    Got a cow Druid to lvl 7 and also played some Battlegrounds as a lvl 70 Warrior.

That game is boring as shit. How the hell does it have 10million subs and CoX can't even get 1 million?
    I mean, seriously, so boring. The PvP has Chaotic moments of fun but otherwise...so boring.

Accualt on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Because it has a single, cohesive world to explore, filled with quests that are actually in the world and mobs that were manually positioned to take advantage of having a persistent terrain (although this only really comes into play when you have enemy encampments, caves and buildings in play).
    As opposed to an overworld whose sole purpose is to justify travel powers and repetitive Phantasy Star Online type instances where mobs are always placed in exactly the same spots.

For me CoX is fun despite its design, not because of it.

Glal on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Because it has the grind

This is in actuality why it is played so much.. because it forces you to play for a trillion hours grinding mindlessly to achieve any goal.

It's the whole 'oh gee i put 20 hours into this guy ive gotta keep going to get my epic mounc, bla, bla'

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008
    How the christ does what I said imply grind? Seriously? Yes, it's cool and edgy to hate The Other MMOs, especially popular ones (next up, why Harry Potter sucks!), but some perspective is nice to have.

Glal on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Every MMO has the grind. The difference is CoH doesn't really have any goals, aside from getting badges and doing it all over again.

WoW does very well because the game world is pretty and polished and the time:reward is preeeettttty much perfect.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hola, folks.

A question...what would be a good number for active users on Virtue and Victory? How many of you dudes on at a given time?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    On Victory? 0.

Scooter on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    So it's still heroes on Virtue for the PA crew?

Echo on
    edited February 2008
    We hero and villain on Virtue.
    Because it has a single, cohesive world to explore, filled with quests that are actually in the world and mobs that were manually positioned to take advantage of having a persistent terrain (although this only really comes into play when you have enemy encampments, caves and buildings in play).

I haven't really seen any of this yet. There was the well I had to cleanse. And the camp I had to fight some mercs in, who respawned constantly. It doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything when the "threat toe the village" I'm suppose to wipe out respawns in front of my face.
    I get the instance vs. over world part, that is a good point. The only thing is the limited amount of overworld I've experienced in WoW, so far, is boring as all hell and displays identical mechanics to EQ1.

Accualt on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heroes and Villains on Virtue, except for the currently defunct Team/Scheme nights

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Personally I prefer CoX's instances. That way the only idiocy I have to put up with at any given time is the other 7 people on my team.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited February 2008
    Yea, I love instancing. Fuck having to wait in line for the named boss to respawn.

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    That's funny, Accualt complained about the respawns being too fast 3 posts ago. Besides, how is mobs respawning any more or less retarded than getting two missions in a row in the same door and going to a completely different place? They're both necessary game mechanics to allow multiple players to enjoy the same content without too much negative impact on one another.

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    That's funny, Accualt complained about the respawns being too fast 3 posts ago. Besides, how is mobs respawning any more or less retarded than getting two missions in a row in the same door and going to a completely different place? They're both necessary game mechanics to allow multiple players to enjoy the same content without too much negative impact on one another.

Oh, don't get me wrong, that is incredibly retarded (though convenient). It also happens very rarely.
    I don't know what the spawn time is on special named bosses but on regular old cannon fodder in WoW it is stupid fast. It isn't even the fastness that bothers me so much as they spawn right on top of you. I'm suppose to be destroying a camp of bad guys that pose a threat to my village but they respawn almost as fast as I kill them. It doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Conversely if I was in any of these zones at launch I'm sure the fast respawn would be a godsend. It'd be nice if spawns were dynamic, like in CoX. In CoX outdoor spawns in each "block" are based on the number of players and size of the groups in the area. If they'd curtail the spawn speed in WoW based on the numbers or players in the area that would be a big improvement, imo.
    At least in CoX the instances make you feel as though you've completed your objective. They need more variety, and it would be nice if the exterior of the building you enter is matched in size by the interior, but I like the early levels of CoX better than I do WoW at this point. Hell even the over world of CoX gives the illusion of you accomplishing something because mobs do not spawn in LOS.

Accualt on
    edited February 2008
    Oh yea, I only played for a month and a half, but I couldn't count how much having something spawn right on top of me either killed me or forced me to run a half a freaking mile to lose aggro.

It was kinda sad, you feel really badass sometimes until you're suddenly forced to fight two of something.

Scooter on
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The reason WoW is better is because it has depth. For straight up fun, a month of CoX is probably better than a month of WoW, but anything after that WoW's design takes over.

The PvP is also much better as is the high end PvE if you're into that.

Anyways, I decided on villain and made a dual blade / willpower brute! President McStab is now jaunting around the streets of Virtue.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
    edited February 2008
    I don't mean to get into WoW bashing, I've long said CoX and WoW are the only two MMOs worth spending money on (WoW being a distant second of course). WoW getting 100x the subscribers though, and 100x the funds, does make me envious, when I know it's not 100x better.

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    I get just the opposite sense of accomplishment from CoX missions than Accualt does I guess; for me they just feel like Diablo random generated instances, where you just keep replaying the same mission with the mobs and the walls changing around. There's no progression in the mission, you don't have guards where guards make sense, you don't have to be careful in certain areas because they have unique, deadly enemies in uniquely designed levels to accomodate them, it rarely even ends up in a big fight against a named NPC and even when it does the strategy can be boiled down to "send the person that has defenses/resistance to their damage type and toggle all the debuffs on".

It's great fun, but it starts feeling shallow after a while. That said, I have like 12 months subscribed on the thing, simply because it's so easy to pick up. Just not something I play when I want to feel like I've accomplished something.

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    edit for quote:
    I don't mean to get into WoW bashing, I've long said CoX and WoW are the only two MMOs worth spending money on (WoW being a distant second of course). WoW getting 100x the subscribers though, and 100x the funds, does make me envious, when I know it's not 100x better.

I think is a problem with MMO's. Since they take a significant time investment and money per month, people are usually only going to play one. So even if someone likes WoW even slightly more than CoH, they're going to be part of that 100x bigger audience.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

Oh, don't get me wrong, that is incredibly retarded (though convenient). It also happens very rarely.
    I don't know what the spawn time is on special named bosses but on regular old cannon fodder in WoW it is stupid fast. It isn't even the fastness that bothers me so much as they spawn right on top of you. I'm suppose to be destroying a camp of bad guys that pose a threat to my village but they respawn almost as fast as I kill them. It doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Conversely if I was in any of these zones at launch I'm sure the fast respawn would be a godsend. It'd be nice if spawns were dynamic, like in CoX. In CoX outdoor spawns in each "block" are based on the number of players and size of the groups in the area. If they'd curtail the spawn speed in WoW based on the numbers or players in the area that would be a big improvement, imo.
    At least in CoX the instances make you feel as though you've completed your objective. They need more variety, and it would be nice if the exterior of the building you enter is matched in size by the interior, but I like the early levels of CoX better than I do WoW at this point. Hell even the over world of CoX gives the illusion of you accomplishing something because mobs do not spawn in LOS.

You're still in the noob zone in WoW. The spawns in the newbie zones are very fast because when the game was released they were flooded with players and they needed stuff to kill. They never bothered changing the respawn rates because there isn't much reason to. Spawns aren't as fast as you get farther into the game.

WoW really is a lot better if you have some friends to play with, and the instances in WoW are much better than your CoH instances. They feel very hand crafted and have some really cool enviroments. There is also have quest text that is worth reading in WoW.

WoW has a very different design objective than CoH. They're both fun games. If you really aren't having any fun in WoW you probably don't care about the world at all, or are trying not to have any fun because you love CoH so much.

Drool on
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This discussion is having the wrong effect on me; you guys have me remembering the cool stuff I could do in WoW whenever I felt like it.

In CoX, I really enjoy that I can hop in an instanced mission and roll through at my own pace (assuming I'm soloing - this whole argument goes out the window when I'm on a good team, which is where CoX shines brightest). When I get sick of the repetitive missions, though, usually about three or four solo missions in, I tend to just cruise around and explore the overworld. This is when I wish I was playing WoW.

In WoW, there was always something interesting happening in the environment, be it some new place I hadn't noticed before or even just me saying "I wonder if I could climb up that mountain over there and see what's on the other side". Paragon City and the Rogue Isles, being fairly uniform maps penned in by War Walls, are far less interesting to explore, and short of badges there's no real incentive to explore anything. I miss having a living, breathing world to run around in.

This discussion clinches it for me. Once my latest trial period's up, I'm going to have to jump ship to WoW at least temporarily. I haven't played it since a few months after launch, so I imagine there'll be a lot of new stuff to scope out. Beyond that, I have no idea how long I'll play, especially given my lack of enthusiasm for WoW-style raid gameplay. We'll see.

Bitstream on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just not something I play when I want to feel like I've accomplished something.

I wouldn't play an MMO if I wanted to feel like I accomplished something.

CyberJackal on
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    While I was writing my above post, there was something cool about CoX exploration-wise I couldn't remember, but now I do - the tunnels. There are two places in Paragon that I love dearly, and I think of them as pretty much the only truly interesting environs in the game: the underground parking garage and the secret tunnels, both in Faultline. there was a real sense of holy crap I have no idea what's going to be around this corner when going through them for the first time, and both had great payoffs - the parking garage has some great low-level spawns of otherwise rare mobs (and their presence there actually makes sense), and the tunnels to the south led to (unnecessary spoiler)
    the other side of the Overbrook Dam, or if you took the non-Arachnos tunnels, the heart of a Freakshow fortress full of unfriendly hosts.

Both of those are cases where I felt like I was in a coherent world, and where the game designers finally put some soul into a zone. I'm hoping that future revamps add a bit more of that to the rest of the city, and also that the hinted-at War Wall removal opens up the city for some real exploration.

Bitstream on
    edited February 2008
    If you have a 50 villain, check out the Grandville tunnels sometime.

No one ever goes in there.

Scooter on
    edited February 2008
    No one should slam CoX's quest text unless they are playing early level heroes launch missions or doing newspaper/PB missions over and over. The game has some great arcs in it, much of which has only gotten better with time. I think Faultline is their ultimate achievement so far, in that it has a great tempo to it. I hope all of their future zones keep that style of storytelling. A clear beginning to an arch that spans the level range of the zone and stays, mostly, within that zone.

More then anything, though, I wish they'd release a bunch of new tilesets for the old Warehouse/Office/Cave maps. Give me variety outside of the new zones.

I was trying to have fun in WoW, I was running with three other RL buddies. I had fun playing the 70 Warrior in the PvP zone, but not anymore than playing BF1942 so the time investment required doesn't seem worth it at the moment. The combat is just so dull next to CoX. So far it hasn't be strategic at all, even in PvP there wasn't much strategy. You spam your best skills when you get the chance. Nothin' to it. I have to be more careful in WoW, do to mob aggro, but that doesn't really make for much in the way of strategy. Then again I've always sort of chuckled at people who talk about skill and strategy in MMOs. Sure, there is a bit of it but I quickly learned in DAoC that no matter how much better of a player you may be, ultimately, MMOs are a numbers game.

I'm going to keep playing, because I want to give it a fair shot this time (I played beta for a short bit and, like, three days a year after). I want to better understand why people think it is the end all be all. So far the writing hasn't been anything special. The presentation, after the opening race cutscene, has been genericMMO 101 (which is a step up from CoX). I'm sure I'll enjoy the mini-raid, small man instances I hear about. I always liked running dungeons in DAoC and EQ.
    Thing is if I'm going to spend hours and hours doing missions that revolve around killing stuff then I'm going to pick CoX because the combat is far more engaging. Everything in WoW revolves around killing stuff, if you aren't level grinding your are item grinding by killing stuff (unless you play the market which is dullx2 for me). So far WoW feels like EQ1 with better graphics and less interesting classes. Man, Shadowknights and Magicians are still my favorite MMO classes.

P.S. I played Warhammer beta at the same friend's house last night and it blows early level WoW out of the water. Talk about a living world. Oh god, you WoW people are going to love it...if you don't mind a [strike]little[/strike] lot of blood in your fantasy.

Accualt on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone have a 10 day free trial available? My email is misthunter1@yahoo.com . I played the game for a couple of months but never got really far.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really think the reason for CoX's low subscription numbers is people like me.

I mean, I came back for double XP weekend basically thinking, 'hrm, I haven't played CoH in a while, and it'll be fun to level some alts while it's superfast.' And that's what I did, and it was pretty fun. And I'll play for a couple months, and probably fall short (again!) of my goal of getting a hero to 50, and then I'll get bored. Because let's be honest, soloing is dull and after level 30 or so the group combat gets more and more boring. It's more interesting than most of WoW's combat, to be sure, but not that much more interesting. The tanks/brutes get to be invincible, control gets better and better, debuffs get stronger and stronger, until chewing through the next group of +3 freaks or whatever gets to feel like more of a chore than a battle against villains.

And then I'll go back to WoW, because WoW's got a lot more depth: there's more to do (not only at max level but throughout), the rewards are much better, and there are more people.

Edit: I'll send you one, damoon!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited February 2008
    yeah, I'm the same. I'll probably play it for a month or two and then stop for 6+ months before playing it for two months again. I've always wondered if it would be better off with a non-paid, diablo-esque setup with lobbies and such.
    I was trying to have fun in WoW, I was running with three other RL buddies. I had fun playing the 70 Warrior in the PvP zone, but not anymore than playing BF1942 so the time investment required doesn't seem worth it at the moment. The combat is just so dull next to CoX. So far it hasn't be strategic at all, even in PvP there wasn't much strategy. You spam your best skills when you get the chance. Nothin' to it. I have to be more careful in WoW, do to mob aggro, but that doesn't really make for much in the way of strategy. Then again I've always sort of chuckled at people who talk about skill and strategy in MMOs. Sure, there is a bit of it but I quickly learned in DAoC that no matter how much better of a player you may be, ultimately, MMOs are a numbers game.

WoW's strategic PvP mostly occurs in the lv 70 ranked arenas. Prior to TBC, there was a fair amount of guild vs. guild battlegrounds that worked too, but not so much anymore. And yeah, it takes much more than hitting one button if you want to get anywhere. I ended up getting the title for being in the top 0.5% of the ladder for the first two seasons before I decided to take a break. While it's not exactly rocket science, there is definitely some complexity there and even as one of the easiest classes to play (paladin) I still felt I could almost constantly improve. There's also people I know who I generally consider good at video games who struggled to get much further than an average rank.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    So far it hasn't be strategic at all, even in PvP there wasn't much strategy. You spam your best skills when you get the chance. Nothin' to it.
    It might be more of a "new player who hasn't learned the class yet" thing, no offense. You know how you can tell when someone's Kheldian was "bought"? Yeah, same thing in WoW. The majority of classes have their fair share of utility abilities, and while anyone can just spam attacks knowing how and where to utilize the utility ones is where the skill comes in. From setting totems to slow down enemy groups on your ass to using low level attacks for the sole purpose of interrupting and locking off spells to abusing Slow Fall as a means of aerial assault and using Charge to get up hillsides too steep to climb normally, to using Sheep correctly to lock enemies off and not just giving them accidental healing for 5 seconds, changing shapes or using your racial ability to escape snares... my favourite, which no longer works thanks to enemy caster bars, was using your hearth stone mid-battle against a Shaman; they Earth Shock you, thinking you're casting a healing spell and trying to lock you out, only to waste their spell cooldown as you heal for real.

There's a lot of potential strategy. You're just not seeing it because you can't play the class.

Glal on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    So I resubscribed for a month. Well, 45 days. but I can't for the life of me decide what to play. Someone suggest something with lots of 'splodey stuff that sends shit flying and makes my computer cry.

Echo on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Energy Melee Brute?
    (EM = Sends shit flying) + (Brute = Mayhem Missions = lots of 'splodey stuff)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • HJFrewHJFrew WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Honestly, I've played WoW, and I continue to play CoX mainly because to me it's much cooler to run around in a suit of my design using semi-unique powers to beat up fakey villains in a world that (to me) has an incredible amount of depth if you read between the lines than running around as the same elf that someone else is playing in, true, beautiful environments using powers that everyone else has in a world that (to me) has actually LOST some of its depth since the game came out. Also, most of RL friends I have that have taken multiple characters to 70 in WoW are just plain asses.

Another note is that for me, in WoW, it always felt like you were just seeking out the next town. Maybe I didn't get far enough, but to me it was always "Ok, no more quests in this town, now I have to travel through miles and miles of useless terrain to get to the next town so that I can complete all their quests."

CoX might not be very different, but I feel like I have a LOT more freedom to do what I want.

In short: WoW is not Azeroth. No, WoW is a theme park meant to LOOK like Azeroth, because there is no way that the world I played in was the same one I enjoyed a couple years ago as an RTS with a driven story and lots of lore. CoX is not the Marvel universe, nor is it DC's, but it IS exactly what I imagine when I think of a super hero universe.

HJFrew on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    Energy Melee Brute?
    (EM = Sends shit flying) + (Brute = Mayhem Missions = lots of 'splodey stuff)

Yes go for an energy melee or super strength brute for the maximum mayhem/ass kicking.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008
    See I don't feel any of that is strategy, it is just knowing your skills and using them properly. I don't even consider that skill so much as familiarity. The reason I don't feel MMOs require much skill or strategy is because they are a numbers game. Everything you listed is an "if, then" situation. While I was playing the 70 Warrior: If an opponent is out of range then Charge as long as doing so won't get you slaughtered by his buddies. If an opponent is running then Hamstring. If Feared use that one skill with the scary face. If you see someone casting within range use an interrupt. MMOs are accessible for exactly this reason, and I don't blame them for it, I just feel that familiarity through repetition is the bases for MMO combat, not skill or strategy as would be the case in an FPS or real life sports. Some strategy can be deployed (we do it in tricky CoX missions all the time) but strategy in MMOs faces diminishing returns based on your gear/lvl/stats vs your opponents. A great strategy can win out over superior numbers to a point. I remember those moments in DAoC, hit and run tactics against the flood that was Albion. But in the end there isn't much room to strategize so your best bet is to just be organized (balanced team, complimentary gear, etc). Its the nature of the beast.

This is an age old argument I had in DAoC and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. My definition of skill just does not include knowing when to use ability X over Y. Aiming in an FPS takes skill. Being able to steal a soccer ball takes skill. Know what I mean?

Thinking about DAoC does make me want to level up in WoW for some battlegrounds goodness. I do find it to be relatively mindless fun with a group of friends. Dreadfully unfun solo, but then I hate solo in all MMOs.

Accualt on
    edited February 2008
    Sorry about derailing the thread, btw.

As for Brutes, now I haven't actually played a Brute with this yet BUT Stone Melee is absolutely the most fun melee set I've ever tried (42 Fire/Stone Tank). It is high damage with slow recharge, not the greatest thing for a Brute but you can toss Brawl on auto-attack to continue building fury. What I love about it is how bits of stone fly off your enemy when you smack them with your stone covered fists, or how the screen shakes when you connect with your stone mallet. Tremor and Fault give you some nice damage mitigation abilities, what with the AE knockdown and disorient. Ripping a boulder out of the ground and chucking it at an enemy is very satisfying when it explodes on their body, sending them flying across the room. It is even more fun when you knock a flier out of the air with it.
    It just as the best presentation and feels the most super powered, to me. I know Super Strength got a few screen shakes added to it since I last tried it so I'm sure that conveys some of the same feeling.

Accualt on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    People who say there is no story in CoX either have never made it past level 15 or don't pay any attention at all. There are tons of awesome arcs on both sides. I solod both a mastermind and a scrapper to 50 as story characters and it was great fun since I actually started paying attention to the story. Granted the story could be presented better and it suffers from having to be introduced in a "clear this warehouse next" manner but generally it was quite good. I would go as far as saying that I was having more fun doing this than I usually do teaming but I think I'm a rare case in that respect.

This also makes sense when I say that I enjoyed WoW more taking my sweet ass time soloing or maybe finding a small team for harder enemies than I did being sheperded around by Ty, Crim and Vegar and grinding quests without actually reading what the fuck I was doing.

Gear Girl on
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, where does the strategy part enter with first person shooters?

Tangentangent.

Glal on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, where does the strategy part enter with first person shooters?

Tangentangent.

Definitely not on public servers!

Gear Girl on
    edited February 2008
    Rainbow Six is pretty damn strategic.
    But then Unreal Tournament...
    I guess I shouldn't have issued a blanket statement about FPS strategy, though FPS skill I would stand by (at least for major titles). A lot of team based FPS titles require a fair bit of strategy in multiplayer matches, especially if it is objective based instead of a pure deathmatch.

Accualt on
This discussion has been closed.