As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Design] It's Spelunkerin' Time! (Dungeons)

123457»

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    me thinks Rend hast abandoned us....actually im begining to think im the only one still checking this thread...tis a shame...it was a good idea

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    me thinks Rend hast abandoned us....actually im begining to think im the only one still checking this thread...tis a shame...it was a good idea

Abandoned? Absolutely not, but the purpose of this thread is contribution, and so it wouldn't be in the spirit if just you, or I, or even just the two of us, finished everything. If people are still interested, they'll create more rooms for everyone else to build off of (all of the information needed is in the thread), and if people are generally uninterested, then this has still been an enlightening and extremely fun project, even so.

But trust me, I'm still here.

Rend on
    edited February 2008
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    so which room did we go with so that I can figure out how to proceed from here ?

Also, I thought I said so somewhere above, but the northern room, the one with the fountain, will be the room that continues farther into the dungeon and closer to the BBEG.

Rend on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rend is always around, watching :)

i've never had it in me to do piecemeal dungeon design; I just wanted to affirm that i still check it and watch in case there's an appropriate time to chip in some of my views

Super Namicchi on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    great stuff, but there's a lot here to slog through - any chance you'd want to put some of this great info up on a wiki to make reading through it easier? You can register for free ones at PBWiki, that's what we're using for the world-building exercise we've got going, and we've used it for other stuff in the past.

I want to read through and get caught up to what you've all done already, but once I'm in better shape in that regard I may jump in with some ideas as well.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited February 2008
    great stuff, but there's a lot here to slog through - any chance you'd want to put some of this great info up on a wiki to make reading through it easier? You can register for free ones at PBWiki, that's what we're using for the world-building exercise we've got going, and we've used it for other stuff in the past.

I want to read through and get caught up to what you've all done already, but once I'm in better shape in that regard I may jump in with some ideas as well.

You know, that's not a bad idea. I already have the OP up with links to all finalized rooms and such, but as for the ideas which have been presented there have only been a few collections made of them (thanks to JustPlainPavek, pretty much, guy's a beast! :D)

And yes, I am always around.

Watching.

Waiting...

Rend on
  • JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oooh, yeah, I feel pretty bad about letting my contributions lapse here.. I've found myself distracted by other things and haven't been able to keep up with the thread. I can't promise any bursts of inspiration, but I will make an effort to read through everything that's been raised in the past two months and see if any ideas come to me.

JustPlainPavek on
  • JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I'm a little more caught up, but will probably have to re-read the past two or three pages again before I can start commenting on specifics. It would be a big help if we can get another map for the underground area, even a very rough one, so we can visualize how these rooms are relating to one another. What are the major rooms down here going to be, and how are we going to fill in the spaces between them? If I'm reading correctly we've got the source of the blue brain juice located right off the first entry room of the underground level, which feels slightly too soon for me.

Also, I will say I'm a little leery about the use of undead. While the underground level is in large part meant to be a different environment than aboveground — if the players are down there, they're assumed to be in combat mode, whereas aboveground a lot of sneaking around and deception is possible — I'd rather not just throw a bunch of shambling dead at them. I haven't played DnD in a long time, so I don't have an brilliant alternative suggestions, but the focus of this cult and the demon snake has overwhelmingly been one of mental control — the introduction of mindless undead skeletons etc seems somewhat out of place to me. Zombies are a little better but if we really want the impact to be horrific, and emphasize that they're that way because of the mind juice operation, I think we should ration them a little bit.

Also, if I were running this, I would probably drop the mention of other cult outposts elsewhere, unless I really wanted to turn this into an extended campaign. Since I think the original idea was for a low-to-mid level dungeon, I don't think there's necessarily a need to make this a game world-spanning threat, unless the players are really enjoying it and the GM wants to run with it more after this.

Anyways, these are just thoughts; I'll try and reread again, think on it a bit, and see if I can start offering some contributions of my own.

JustPlainPavek on
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I'm a little more caught up, but will probably have to re-read the past two or three pages again before I can start commenting on specifics. It would be a big help if we can get another map for the underground area, even a very rough one, so we can visualize how these rooms are relating to one another. What are the major rooms down here going to be, and how are we going to fill in the spaces between them? If I'm reading correctly we've got the source of the blue brain juice located right off the first entry room of the underground level, which feels slightly too soon for me.

Also, I will say I'm a little leery about the use of undead. While the underground level is in large part meant to be a different environment than aboveground — if the players are down there, they're assumed to be in combat mode, whereas aboveground a lot of sneaking around and deception is possible — I'd rather not just throw a bunch of shambling dead at them. I haven't played DnD in a long time, so I don't have an brilliant alternative suggestions, but the focus of this cult and the demon snake has overwhelmingly been one of mental control — the introduction of mindless undead skeletons etc seems somewhat out of place to me. Zombies are a little better but if we really want the impact to be horrific, and emphasize that they're that way because of the mind juice operation, I think we should ration them a little bit.

Also, if I were running this, I would probably drop the mention of other cult outposts elsewhere, unless I really wanted to turn this into an extended campaign. Since I think the original idea was for a low-to-mid level dungeon, I don't think there's necessarily a need to make this a game world-spanning threat, unless the players are really enjoying it and the GM wants to run with it more after this.

Anyways, these are just thoughts; I'll try and reread again, think on it a bit, and see if I can start offering some contributions of my own.

Im not opposed to any of this, but its going to be alot of editing and changes at this point. I think the zombie idea evolved from the usage of cultist brains as grist for the mill as it where.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.