As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Magic the Gathering Online

13»

• Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are the leagues week long, or 4 weeks? I know sometimes they do only week longs for releases.

JeffH on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JeffH wrote: »
    Are the leagues week long, or 4 weeks? I know sometimes they do only week longs for releases.

These are the 1 week long, 2x prize release leagues. You don't add any more cards after your initial tournament pack and two boosters.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    XevoXevo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm that almost makes leagues reasonable, I hate having my cards untradeable for extended periods of time.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to get in a no Top 8 PE, but I won't have time until next week, and it will only be Sharks left playing by then, which makes me sad.

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Xevo wrote: »
    Hmmm that almost makes leagues reasonable, I hate having my cards untradeable for extended periods of time.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to get in a no Top 8 PE, but I won't have time until next week, and it will only be Sharks left playing by then, which makes me sad.

Be advised: The no Top 8 PE's get posted 3 hours before they start, but they fill up in 1-10 minutes. So be sure to log on way early and grab a slot in the one you want well in advance.

It might not be as bad this evening with drafting starting today and siphoning off some of the people who would otherwise be gunning for the lucrative no Top 8 PE prizes. Still. It would be a shame to set your sights on some playtime and then not be able to get the event you wanted.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay. You sold me on this league thing. Plus, this way we can get together at some time during this thing and work out "clan" magic and fill this one man clan up here. Hehe.

Anyone want to be captain of this clan btw? I just made it to get the initiative going, but I don't care to run it and whatnot.. (don't have the time/want).

Pendelhaven Arcanum is the clan name btw. Join the channel by typing /join Pendelhaven Arcanum .. and I'll send an invite your way.

My name is PawLee (again, in case anyone missed it before). I'll be on tonight to start in this Release League and learn some of the Lorwyn cards.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Good news bad news.

I signed up for a no top 8 release LRW and missed the build/round 1. Yeah, that means my whole tourney is pretty much fucked. That's the bad news.

Good news is I ripped open a Thoughtseize. Pretty random, I admit.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just finished reading about drafting and all that and it sounds really fun. I'm going to download the client and check it out. If you guys don't mind can I add you to my buddy list so if I see a PA'er on maybe he can give me some coaching tips and dominate me a couple times.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I'm more than willing to run you through a lot of drafting strategy and whatnot. I won't be online until tomorrow night, probably, but you could definitely look me up then. Just enter any chat window and type /addbuddy "Xevo"

You can also do that with anyone else's name you know as well. I use the quotes around the name, because if someone has a space in their name, that's the only way you can add them without them being online.

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I just finished reading about drafting and all that and it sounds really fun. I'm going to download the client and check it out. If you guys don't mind can I add you to my buddy list so if I see a PA'er on maybe he can give me some coaching tips and dominate me a couple times.

Yeah, definitely add us to your buddy list (I'm on much more as lukewarm than as Iolo). Anything to help get another PAer addicted to drafting. Wait, that didn't come out right...

Speaking of drafting, we're finally starting to get some non-speculative articles on drafting Lorwyn. Check out Quentin Martin's article today denigrating Kithkin in draft.

I'm excited to start drafting the new set (having had my tail kicked in 3 release leagues now...). Blargware's DraftCap is in beta for Lorwyn, so if it works well enough I'll post a walkthrough here if folks are intereted. I've never drafted Lowyn, though, so I've still got a lot to learn about the format. Reading articles online suggests that its a very reactive format, where you can't necessarily force a gameplan going in. I guess we'll see.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    quentin martin is really biased towards blue and sometime overvalues some cards i think are bad but his articles are usually good, and i completely agree with everything in his recent article. Kithkin are pretty bad.

JeffH on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God fucking damnit I hate losing games thanks to lag. Gee MTGO, thanks for removing close to 15 minutes from my clock when I was 2 turns away from 2-1 and top 8 in a X4.

To be fair, it was something between me and MTGO, most likely the atlantic, but still. Packet loss between me and MTGO was up to 89% for a while. Lovely. I <3 living in Ireland, so goooooooood internets. Oh yes. *sigh*

In any case Kithkin are the worst tribe for drafts. I'd go with any other tribe over them. Yes, even treefolk, they at least bring big bodies. Unless you manage to draft 15+ kithkin, all of them good, your deck will be too slow to pound face.

Also, Garruk is insano in sealed. God almighty. If he enters play, everything starts going your way unless your opponent has an insane creature lead. Turn 4 Garruk on the play pretty much ends the game right there.

Edit: nick is Incubi, but I'm a euro, so you might not see me around much.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok so I joined and I'm getting a coupon for 9.99 I was thinking of picking up one of the 10th edition starter decks so I can play games with other people, or should I burn what I can on that on stuff for drafting. Whats my best choice to use this money with?

I guess I should add last time I played they had just added those legendary heroes that only one could be out at a time of that specific card. Not sure what expansion that was, and I only played for a month before that I played up till Ice Age.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh BTW I won't be playing much MTGO for awhile... just upgraded my system and am playing TF2 like a MADMAN.

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok so I joined and I'm getting a coupon for 9.99 I was thinking of picking up one of the 10th edition starter decks so I can play games with other people, or should I burn what I can on that on stuff for drafting. Whats my best choice to use this money with?

I guess I should add last time I played they had just added those legendary heroes that only one could be out at a time of that specific card. Not sure what expansion that was, and I only played for a month before that I played up till Ice Age.

The MTGO forums on Wizards' website are a dark place, filled with whining, toxic levels of self entitlement, and caustic ranting. There are a few bright spots, however, including this player-written FAQ.

In particular for your question:
    What should I do with my 9.99 coupon
    That depends on what you're looking to get out of MTGO.

I want to play casual constructed
    If you want to start with casual constructed, I'd suggest buying 3 Core Set booster for (3.99x3) = 11.97, and selling them for 14 tickets, or 'tix'. (Use the messageboard in game to find someone buying for that price.) Then hit up the bulk commons/uncommons and get a good selection of basic cards.

I want some sort of casual competitive environment
    Then leagues may be the place for you. A league is essentially a sealed format that lasts 1 month (except release leagues for new sets). You need either a tourney pack + 2 boosters + 2 tix for a block set like Champions of Kamigawa, or 5 boosters for a coreset like 9th edition. Don't open the product, the game will do it once you join the league. Navigate to the league area of the client, and select a league that's either in week one. (you can join an already running league IF it isn't already full).

I want to draft
    Well, similar to a league, except buy 3 boosters, and go to the drafts room. Select the prize payout you're interested in, (either 8-4, or 4-3-2-2). The numbers designate who gets what prize, 8-4 means that 1st place gets 8 boosters, 2nd gets 4 boosters, and 4-3-2-2 means 1st = 4, 2nd = 3, 3rd & 4th = 2 boosters.

I love drafting, but would not recommend it as a good way to get back into the game as the learning curve is significant. Leagues really are a good bet for getting some cards and playing as many games as you want with them in a week to four-week long tournament. If you are a constructed player, though, you are much better off using your coupon to get tickets and then buying bulk commons and uncommons and the singles for the decks you are interested in playing.

There's a semi-active "Pauper Magic" community that plays with decks made only from commons, which could be a an interesting and cheap way to get started (although I have no experience with the format myself.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok I got the tickets but honestly I don't know what to really look for.

I like the way red cards in general work, but I know having a one trick pony is a bad idea in magic should I maybe look up some theme decks online that seem my play style and try to build those decks with the tickets?

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok I got the tickets but honestly I don't know what to really look for.

I like the way red cards in general work, but I know having a one trick pony is a bad idea in magic should I maybe look up some theme decks online that seem my play style and try to build those decks with the tickets?

Good idea. Check out Ben Bleiweiss' Building on a Budget for a ton of ideas. It's a fun column and you will learn a lot about the current crop of cards, deck-building and how those decks actually play out against other decks, and card options on the cheaper side of things.

Also, if you think you like red, ping me if you see me online and I'll donate a miscellaneous assortment of red commons to get you going. Are you "mosaic" on MTGO?

EDIT: Also, Mr_Rose, who is made of pure awesome where Magic is concerned, posted this link to a rules primer for returning players that might be of use to you in the general (i.e. not specifically online) Magic thread.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yeah im mosiac in game sorry I guess i should have posted that, and thanks for the link.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm on right nowwwwww:

PawLee is my name.
    Add meeeeee.

Me and Mosiac had some good game fun going last night. GG's and he's a pretty solid player w00t.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Nah Im not a solid player I just happen to have a solid deck.

Im a little dissapointed with my Gruul Intentions deck that I copied from the budget builder article. Of course every person I played with that deck ended up having a counter spell deck, or a return cards to hand deck.

I think I need something a little bit more brutal. I was thinking of a Red White angels of death theme. I know there are some red angels and tons of whites and I think a couple of multi colors and I could focus it around one strong angel, but Im not sure what kind of cards work well with angels other then enchantments and equipment.
    Any suggestions?

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If you want a budget deck that works, I'd stay away from angels as they tend to be on the expensive side to make them work very well.. but I'll try to give you some suggestions on the more budget side of things.

The big-ass-angels-of-death-and-destruction type deck sounds pretty solid once you have those angels out and swinging for 4+ damage a turn, so you should turn your attention to the pre-angel game.

Since angels are typically high casting cost creatures so you'll need something that can withstand (or cushion) the damage some faster aggro decks can bring to the table before you stabilize. At the same time you don't want some high casting cost creatures that will get countered/bounced/stolen as you tap out to play them. You'll have to play a balancing game to get what you want really. Or alternatively you can go one or the other and dominate specific types of decks (balls to the wall lifegain+angels will dominate many aggro decks but get creamed by control types, for instance).

A few options/choices:
    • Mana Acceleration - to get those angels out that much faster (boros signet, darksteel ingot, mind stone, or splash green for fertile ground/birds of paradise,sakura-tribe elder)
    • Lifegain - to give you that extra time you need (aven riftwatcher, faith's fetters, exalted angel (awesome but $$), renewed faith, sun droplet)
    • Protection/Removal - remove key components of their play to give you more time to get your fatties out (voice of all (angel! - 4cc is kinda slow though), earthquake/starstorm/pyroclasm, incinerate, shock, firebolt, volcanic hammer, oblivion ring, mistmeadow skulk, story circle, crib swap, wrath of god (awesome but $$), and many many other choices)
    • Land Destruction - is an alternative choice to slow those control decks down some (stone rain, molten rain, lay waste, avalanche riders)

well.. I'd keep going but I'm tired. I hope I've given you some ideas :)

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Land destruction is feasible I think. Full skyward attacks would be interesting, the trick will be getting at least two colors in there of land destroy or a counterspell card of some type so all my spells aren't negated.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Might join this after I get back from classes today. I used to have an account with some decks past year or so, I'll have to DL the client and get my account back open, whee.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, good to see there is a healthy alternative to the whine-fest that is the official MTGO boards hosted over on wizard site.

MTGO name: CoJoeTheLawyer. Feel free to add me to the list. I'm mostly on in the evenings EST time (which also means I've been locked out of offical LRW dratfs until the PEs are over). Alwyas looking to casual trade and chat.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yea, ditto on the adding me onto the list please! MTGO name is: Shade Tempest . I really don't know what the hell I was thinking when I chose that name but oh well (I think I was high or young, or probably both). And yea, mostly only evenings EST as well.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm on pretty late so if I catch you guys on itll be an amazing feat.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I took Verteran's Day off yesterday and did my first sanctioned Lorwyn draft, going 1-1 (in the 8-4 queue) with a pretty mediocre Boggart/Faerie deck. I think I did make my first round opponent cry, though, when I started recurring Boggart Loggers each turn with Wort versus his dedicated Treefolk deck.

Then I jumped in a no-Top-8 PE and managed to go 4-1 with a solid GUb Faerie/Elf/Misc. deck with two bombs in the Faerie champion and Nath. There were some close games but my only match loss was to a draft quality Kithkin deck that hit it's curve turns 1-4 both games and then dropped Ajani. Oh well. +11 packs is still pretty solid.

I've now played 2 sealed PE's and entered 3 release leagues, and haven't had a single Oblivion Ring in my pools. (Not that I'm really complaining, since I don't like white that much in this set.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Land destruction is feasible I think. Full skyward attacks would be interesting, the trick will be getting at least two colors in there of land destroy or a counterspell card of some type so all my spells aren't negated.

Yeah. Playing decks with 6+ counterspells will be a touch matchup almost regardless of what you choose to do. The best against playing those types of decks is definitely throng of weenies hitting hard and fast.

... that may have been the dirtiest unintentional thing I've ever said.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    For the record, you do not need removal in your draft deck when your deck includes Masked Admirers, Deathrender, Perfect, Perfect, Perfect and 17 other elves. 4 of which are Nath's Elite and 2 of which are Jaggeed Scar Archers. Add in a Footbottom feast to really mess with those damnable Merfolk decks and you are onto a winner. Gotta love being the only guy at the table to draft elves. Nabbing 2 O-rings and not using them just proves the point.
    Okay, so I got lucky and pulled the sickest deck I've ever had. The addition of a Gilt Leaf Palace was just icing

Damnit. Servers just went down. And I was on a fucking roll. Doran, Thorntooth, Oblivion, Heights, Shriekmaw and 2xFertile Ground. Before I was halfway through the first pack. God hates me.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So I haven't been playing for a while.. but this deck idea has been nagging at me for so long and then I see this article:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/bb139

I shit you not, besides the splash for black (which makes it wayyy better) this deck was already in my head. I went ahead and made it anyways, knowing full well I'd get crap for "netdecking."

What a powerful and fun deck! I fully recommend it to anyone who's looking for a semi-casual standard deck!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    So I haven't been playing for a while.. but this deck idea has been nagging at me for so long and then I see this article:

I shit you not, besides the splash for black (which makes it wayyy better) this deck was already in my head. I went ahead and made it anyways, knowing full well I'd get crap for "netdecking."

What a powerful and fun deck! I fully recommend it to anyone who's looking for a semi-casual standard deck!

Yeah, Ben Bleiweiss has been on fire recently with great articles and deck-building ideas. Anyone looking for inspiration or for some fun budget-oriented decks to build would do well to watch his column.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

Heh, I've made that deck for magic online as well and I concur with the powerful and fun statement. I would also add that the deck is Eviiilllll (in a fun way.) I love the evoke elementals combined with momentary blink.

anyway, I'm on MTGO every once in a while but I'll probably be on more during the christmas break. (curse you college finals, curse you!!)

my handle is destroyah87 same as on here.
    if anybody's looking for a game, send me a message. but I warn you, my decks are a bit on the eccentric side.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    LLL 8-4 Draft:

PACK 1
    Pack 1:
    Nath's Elite, Moonglove Extract, Boggart Sprite-Chaser, Oaken Brawler, Stonybrook Angler, Spellstutter Sprite, Black Poplar Shaman, Elvish Eulogist, Wings of Velis Vel, Caterwauling Boggart, Drowner of Secrets, Thorntooth Witch, Merrow Commerce, Thoughtseize, Boggart Loggers
    Pick:
    Drowner of Secrets

Pack 2:
    Bog-Strider Ash, Eyeblight's Ending, Mudbutton Torchrunner, Springleaf Drum, Oakgnarl Warrior, Goldmeadow Harrier, Glimmerdust Nap, Heal the Scars, Inkfathom Divers, Ingot Chewer, *, *, Knight of Meadowgrain, Goldmeadow Harrier
    Pick:
    Eyeblight's Ending

Pack 3:
    Deeptread Merrow, Goldmeadow Harrier, Fistful of Force, Eyeblight's Ending, Soulbright Flamekin, Glimmerdust Nap, Needle Drop, Springjack Knight, Heal the Scars, Inkfathom Divers, Boggart Birth Rite
    Pick:
    Eyeblight's Ending

Pack 4:
    Hillcomber Giant, Stinkdrinker Daredevil, Battlewand Oak, Hurly-Burly, Plover Knights, Hunt Down, Triclopean Sight, Nath's Buffoon, Caterwauling Boggart, Harpoon Sniper, Prowess of the Fair, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
    Pick:
    Nath of the Gilt-Leaf

Pack 5:
    Kithkin Greatheart, Oakgnarl Warrior, Hornet Harasser, Deeptread Merrow, Goldmeadow Harrier, Fistful of Force, Spring Cleaning, Blind-Spot Giant, Wellgabber Apothecary, Hearthcage Giant, Merrow Commerce
    Pick:
    Goldmeadow Harrier

Pack 6:
    Plover Knights, Whirlpool Whelm, Adder-Staff Boggart, Wispmare, Goldmeadow Dodger, Flamekin Brawler, Facevaulter, Knight of Meadowgrain, Vivid Marsh, Forest
    Pick:
    Knight of Meadowgrain

Pack 7:
    Boggart Loggers, Fertile Ground, Hillcomber Giant, Spellstutter Sprite, Spiderwig Boggart, Flamekin Brawler, Tideshaper Mystic, Rootgrapple, Benthicore
    Pick:
    Fertile Ground

Pack 8:
    Kithkin Healer, Aquitect's Will, Mournwhelk, Zephyr Net, Scarred Vinebreeder, Gilt-Leaf Seer, Woodland Guidance, Windbrisk Heights
    Pick:
    Gilt-Leaf Seer

Pack 9:
    Boggart Sprite-Chaser, Oaken Brawler, Black Poplar Shaman, Elvish Eulogist, Wings of Velis Vel, Thorntooth Witch, Merrow Commerce
    Pick:
    Thorntooth Witch

Pack 10:
    Bog-Strider Ash, Springleaf Drum, Oakgnarl Warrior, Heal the Scars, Ingot Chewer, Entangling Trap
    Pick:
    Bog-Strider Ash

Pack 11:
    Deeptread Merrow, Needle Drop, Springjack Knight, Heal the Scars, Boggart Birth Rite
    Pick:
    Deeptread Merrow

Pack 12:
    Hillcomber Giant, Hunt Down, Triclopean Sight, Prowess of the Fair
    Pick:
    Hillcomber Giant

Pack 13:
    Spring Cleaning, Wellgabber Apothecary, Merrow Commerce
    Pick:
    Wellgabber Apothecary

Pack 14:
    Goldmeadow Dodger, Facevaulter
    Pick:
    Facevaulter

Pack 15:
    Flamekin Brawler

PACK 2
    Pack 16:
    Warren Pilferers, Soulbright Flamekin, Kithkin Daggerdare, Surge of Thoughtweft, Mulldrifter, Weed Strangle, Soaring Hope, Shimmering Grotto, Judge of Currents, Lace with Moonglove, Blind-Spot Giant, Lammastide Weave, Giant Harbinger, *, Wort, Boggart Auntie
    Pick:
    Mulldrifter

Pack 17:
    Streambed Aquitects, Consuming Bonfire, Boggart Loggers, Lys Alana Huntmaster, Runed Stalactite, Inner-Flame Acolyte, Warren-Scourge Elf, Blades of Velis Vel, Cenn's Heir, Ringskipper, Black Poplar Shaman
    Pick:
    Lys Alana Huntmaster

Pack 18:
    Boggart Sprite-Chaser, Thieving Sprite, Kinsbaile Balloonist, Whirlpool Whelm, Boggart Loggers, Adder-Staff Boggart, Fertile Ground, Elvish Handservant, Broken Ambitions, Nath's Buffoon, Sentry Oak, Faerie Tauntings, Mountain
    Pick:
    Fertile Ground

Pack 19:
    Kithkin Healer, Footbottom Feast, Lignify, Silvergill Douser, Scarred Vinebreeder, Springjack Knight, Ponder, Bog Hoodlums, Lammastide Weave, Rebellion of the Flamekin
    Pick:
    Lignify

Pack 20:
    Dreamspoiler Witches, Oaken Brawler, Pestermite, Hurly-Burly, Peppersmoke, Triclopean Sight, Nightshade Stinger, Faultgrinder
    Pick:
    Dreamspoiler Witches

Pack 21:
    Paperfin Rascal, Runed Stalactite, Tideshaper Mystic, Elvish Handservant, Broken Ambitions, Cenn's Heir, Boggart Forager, Guardian of Cloverdell, Faerie Harbinger, Glen Elendra Pranksters
    Pick:
    Faerie Harbinger

Pack 22:
    Herbal Poultice, Fistful of Force, Quill-Slinger Boggart, Protective Bubble, Ingot Chewer, Amoeboid Changeling, Spring Cleaning, Ego Erasure, Veteran of the Depths
    Pick:
    Fistful of Force

Pack 23:
    Glimmerdust Nap, Wanderer's Twig, Zephyr Net, Bog Hoodlums, Inkfathom Divers, Vivid Grove, Hunter of Eyeblights, Jagged-Scar Archers
    Pick:
    Jagged-Scar Archers

Pack 24:
    Soulbright Flamekin, Surge of Thoughtweft, Soaring Hope, Shimmering Grotto, Judge of Currents, Lace with Moonglove, Lammastide Weave
    Pick:
    Surge of Thoughtweft

Pack 25:
    Warren-Scourge Elf, Blades of Velis Vel, Cenn's Heir, Ringskipper, Black Poplar Shaman, Thousand-Year Elixir
    Pick:
    Thousand-Year Elixir

Pack 26:
    Boggart Sprite-Chaser, Nath's Buffoon, Sentry Oak, Faerie Tauntings, Mountain
    Pick:
    Sentry Oak

Pack 27:
    Scarred Vinebreeder, Bog Hoodlums, Lammastide Weave, Rebellion of the Flamekin
    Pick:
    Lammastide Weave

Pack 28:
    Triclopean Sight, Nightshade Stinger, Faultgrinder
    Pick:
    Triclopean Sight

Pack 29:
    Tideshaper Mystic, Cenn's Heir
    Pick:
    Tideshaper Mystic

Pack 30:
    Herbal Poultice

PACK 3
    Pack 31:
    Moonglove Extract, Boggart Sprite-Chaser, Oaken Brawler, Smokebraider, Stonybrook Angler, Nameless Inversion, Dawnfluke, Broken Ambitions, Nath's Buffoon, Faultgrinder, Rootgrapple, Seedguide Ash, Flamekin Spitfire
    Pick:
    Nameless Inversion

Pack 32:
    Gilt-Leaf Ambush, Moonglove Winnower, Kinsbaile Balloonist, Peppersmoke, Paperfin Rascal, Facevaulter, Hunt Down, Giant's Ire, Dawnfluke, Makeshift Mannequin, Jagged-Scar Archers, Boggart Harbinger, Twinning Glass, Judge of Currents
    Pick:
    Jagged-Scar Archers

Pack 33:
    Aethersnipe, Herbal Poultice, Kithkin Greatheart, Oakgnarl Warrior, Hornet Harasser, Spring Cleaning, Exiled Boggart, Shields of Velis Vel, Mournwhelk, *, *, Silvergill Adept, Fathom Trawl
    Pick:
    Aethersnipe

Pack 34:
    Consuming Bonfire, Wispmare, Thieving Sprite, Gilt-Leaf Ambush, Warren-Scourge Elf, Lairwatch Giant, Spiderwig Boggart, Boggart Forager, Ringskipper, Tar Pitcher, Benthicore
    Pick:
    Gilt-Leaf Ambush

Pack 35:
    Hornet Harasser, Axegrinder Giant, Woodland Changeling, Kithkin Greatheart, Footbottom Feast, Needle Drop, Soaring Hope, Wellgabber Apothecary, Boggart Shenanigans, Familiar's Ruse, Cloudgoat Ranger
    Pick:
    Woodland Changeling

Pack 36:
    Surge of Thoughtweft, Cloudcrown Oak, Wanderer's Twig, Exiled Boggart, Shields of Velis Vel, Mournwhelk, Needle Drop, Springjack Knight, Crush Underfoot
    Pick:
    Cloudcrown Oak

Pack 37:
    Quill-Slinger Boggart, Bog-Strider Ash, Herbal Poultice, Protective Bubble, Skeletal Changeling, Aquitect's Will, Kinsbaile Skirmisher, Kithkin Harbinger, Prowess of the Fair
    Pick:
    Skeletal Changeling

Pack 38:
    Boggart Sprite-Chaser, Thieving Sprite, Kinsbaile Balloonist, Whirlpool Whelm, Elvish Eulogist, Giant's Ire, Pollen Lullaby, Spiderwig Boggart
    Pick:
    Whirlpool Whelm

Pack 39:
    Boggart Sprite-Chaser, Oaken Brawler, Smokebraider, Dawnfluke, Faultgrinder, Rootgrapple, Nectar Faerie
    Pick:
    Rootgrapple

Pack 40:
    Paperfin Rascal, Facevaulter, Hunt Down, Giant's Ire, Dawnfluke, Twinning Glass
    Pick:
    Twinning Glass

Pack 41:
    Herbal Poultice, Spring Cleaning, Exiled Boggart, Shields of Velis Vel, Entangling Trap
    Pick:
    Shields of Velis Vel

Pack 42:
    Lairwatch Giant, Spiderwig Boggart, Boggart Forager, Ringskipper
    Pick:
    Spiderwig Boggart

Pack 43:
    Needle Drop, Soaring Hope, Boggart Shenanigans
    Pick:
    Needle Drop

Pack 44:
    Needle Drop, Springjack Knight
    Pick:
    Springjack Knight

Pack 45:
    Herbal Poultice

Final Decklist:
    Maindeck:

9 Forest
    2 Island
    6 Swamp
    2 Fertile Ground
    1 Fistful of Force
    1 Lignify
    1 Nameless Inversion
    1 Skeletal Changeling
    1 Woodland Changeling
    2 Eyeblight's Ending
    1 Gilt-Leaf Ambush
    1 Gilt-Leaf Seer
    2 Jagged-Scar Archers
    1 Bog-Strider Ash
    1 Cloudcrown Oak
    1 Dreamspoiler Witches
    1 Faerie Harbinger
    1 Lys Alana Huntmaster
    1 Mulldrifter
    1 Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
    1 Rootgrapple
    1 Thorntooth Witch
    1 Aethersnipe

Sideboard:

1 Deeptread Merrow
    1 Drowner of Secrets
    1 Facevaulter
    1 Flamekin Brawler
    1 Goldmeadow Harrier
    2 Herbal Poultice
    1 Hillcomber Giant
    1 Knight of Meadowgrain
    1 Lammastide Weave
    1 Needle Drop
    1 Sentry Oak
    1 Shields of Velis Vel
    1 Spiderwig Boggart
    1 Springjack Knight
    1 Surge of Thoughtweft
    1 Swamp
    1 Thousand-Year Elixir
    1 Tideshaper Mystic
    1 Triclopean Sight
    1 Twinning Glass
    1 Wellgabber Apothecary
    1 Whirlpool Whelm

Draft recording done by MTGO DraftCap, from Blargware (www.blargware.com)

Well, this draft didn't exactly go according to plan. The final deck was actually pretty powerful, with plenty of ways to survive the early game and then start doing degenerate things turning an opponent's hand into elves or killing things with treefolk.

I actually beat Tiago Chan and his dedicated Treefolk deck in the first round, which was a blast.

Sadly, my Eyeblight's Endings sat uselessly in my hand against PA's very own JeffH (aka Moontouched) as he rolled me with a deck composed entirely of elves (well, there was one treefolk that I killed, but it didn't matter.) I did mulligan to six in both games, but honestly I don't think I could have beaten JeffH's deck as I only had one way in my deck to beat an active Lys Alana Scarblade (to say nothing of the TWO Imperious Perfects he had.)

Good stuff. I'll get you next time, JeffH. You and your little dog too!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just started MTGO with the handle Leoman. I'll probably play quite a bit but mostly drafts and leagues.

khain on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ohhh, passing a Thoughtsieze pack 1. Bigger man than I. I'd have rare drafted it and not looked back.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am real_pochacco on MTGO. My collection is very skimpy, as most of the rares I obtain I sell back for tix in order to feed my draft habit. I have a couple of pauper decks and a fun casual pinger deck:
    4 Frostwielder
    1 Heartless Hidetsugu
    2 Initiate of Blood
    3 Thundersong Trumpeter
    4 Viashino Fangtail
    4 Vulshok Sorcerer
    4 Wojek Embermage
    4 Prodigal Pyromancer

1 Wild Ricochet
    2 Orim's Thunder
    2 Lightning Helix

2 Rings of Brighthearth
    3 Thousand-Year Elixir

18 Mountain
    6 Plains

There are few things more satisfying than going up against Elf or Sliver decks with this baby. It is hard to explain the sheer glee and anticipation I feel when I see someone go, first turn, llanowar, 2nd turn, wellwisher and another 1 drop elf, etc. The only thing you have to worry about is killing the Timberwatch Elves ASAP.

The deck pretty much dies to a lot of different kinds of effects, and I really have to be careful about overextending when the opponent has wrath effects. But there is enough variety here that I can usually take down most creature stategies. Token stategy? Wojek Embermage has got it, and if I have the Elixir or the Rings out they aren't making any tokens any time soon. Huge creatures? Once Initiate of Blood gets flipped it can take down most creatures, and with the Elixir or Rings it becomes positively nuts.

real_pochacco on