As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Hotels are now Live! All prices listed are PER NIGHT

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    tree bark wrote: »
    Yeah, when things get full, they'll look to getting more space.

How long has it usually taken before the first set of hotels are fully booked?

Varies, usually within a couple months.

I suggest you book a room and not wait. You can always cancel the reservation and get it at a different place if theres another you like better if/when they are announced.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    D'oh corner suites gone at Hyatt. So tempting to book an Emerald Suite.

EDIT: And done, who knows if i'll keep it though.

parabola on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I need a room, but I'm not taking anyone along. Does anyone have any extra space, or is anyone looking for a roommate to book a room? I wanna get this settled now before I have to bring my own box to sleep in.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, I think I might be blind. No idea how I missed that...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I vote for the cardboard box thing if you have a PSP you plan to play.

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    Well, I do have a PSP, and I don't see why I wouldn't bring it along, just in case. So maybe the box isn't a bad idea after all...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    parabola wrote: »
    D'oh corner suites gone at Hyatt. So tempting to book an Emerald Suite.

EDIT: And done, who knows if i'll keep it though.

NOOoooooo!

I missed the corner suite. Oh.. It seems they limited it to 2 people in that room. Ahh well. I did like the sheraton. I'm tempted to grab the starwood hotel credit card for a free night. It might be worth it.

*edit*

The group rate is already sold out in the sheraton? what? oh only for 8/26 and 8/27.

Viscountalpha on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slacktron wrote: »
    I also got a corner suite and would like to get on a mostly PAX-booked floor because I'm hoping to bring my Rock Band set for Thursday night partying. Naturally, I'd prefer if my neighbors weren't geriatric sleepaholics.

Whoa there. The Hyatt is most definitely the "quiet" hotel. It's mostly filled with business travelers, and they will certainly raise a fuss if someone's throwing down with Rock Band.

If you (or anyone else) want to party, go with the Sheraton or the Roosevelt. While we only have a very small block at the Hyatt, we've got the majority of those two hotels dedicated to PAX. Chances are high that your neighbors will have a PAX badge.

So unlike the Hyatt, if a badge-wearing person knocks on your door at the Sheraton it won't be the cops.

-Mike

When you say majority, As in how much are we talking about if you are allowed to say? 25% 50% 75%?
    JPants wrote: »
    Last year was my first PAX so i didn't really pay attention to how things progressed (only decided to go like a month before) so perhaps this is obvious but do they add more hotels as these first 3 fill up? I know the Days Inn was a PAX hotel last year and while I'd love to stay at the sheraton, my friends are all cheap asses.

If your friends are unwilling to shell out ~250$(with taxes and fees) for 4 nights, cheapasses is an understatement.

Viscountalpha on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Last year was my first PAX so i didn't really pay attention to how things progressed (only decided to go like a month before) so perhaps this is obvious but do they add more hotels as these first 3 fill up? I know the Days Inn was a PAX hotel last year and while I'd love to stay at the sheraton, my friends are all cheap asses.

If your friends are unwilling to shell out ~250$(with taxes and fees) for 4 nights, cheapasses is an understatement.

Yeah, considering last year we each spent like 250$ total for the weekend (only stayed Fri-Sun, not Thu- Mon) it's a big jump for most of them. Me too, but I'm more frivolous with my money when it comes to PAX.

JPants on
  • HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ouch. Im shelling out 750 for my room. ooooo I'm dyin!!!
    What's that friendly neighborhood Accountant? I can take it as a tax deduction.
    FANTASTIC! muhahahahahahaha

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008

Yeah, considering last year we each spent like 250$ total for the weekend (only stayed Fri-Sun, not Thu- Mon) it's a big jump for most of them. Me too, but I'm more frivolous with my money when it comes to PAX.

Well, the sheraton is a hell of a deal. You will not find a better deal for such a hotel.

Viscountalpha on
  • crosspunishercrosspunisher Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm having a difficult time trying to justify the cost of the hotels being offered for PAX. My boyfriend and I were looking to spend roughly $100 a night (not including tax). I know that the group rate being offered is good given the area, but are there any suggestions on a hotel that might be within our budget?

That or I'm willing to take suggestions on how I can explain to him that what we're paying per night is very reasonable.

crosspunisher on
    edited February 2008
    I'm having a difficult time trying to justify the cost of the hotels being offered for PAX. My boyfriend and I were looking to spend roughly $100 a night (not including tax). I know that the group rate being offered is good given the area, but are there any suggestions on a hotel that might be within our budget?

That or I'm willing to take suggestions on how I can explain to him that what we're paying per night is very reasonable.

Depends how far you want to travel to and from PAX to your hotel.

BigRed on
    edited February 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

Depends how far you want to travel to and from PAX to your hotel.

Unless the hotel has a courtesy shuttle we're going to need to be within walking distance. I'm guessing that it might be more cost effective to stay at one of the hotels being offered since a car rental will add to our costs. I'm just wondering how realist out cost per night is.

crosspunisher on
    edited February 2008

Justify it by telling him the hotels offered are normally $300+ a night.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Justify it by telling him the hotels offered are normally $300+ a night.

Yeah I've seen that with a lot of the hotels in the area and the ones offered. I just started looking tonight. God damn they're pricey.

crosspunisher on
    edited February 2008
    Dump him and find someone who'll pay that much?

It's been mentioned the bus system in Seattle's supposed to be really good and sure you can check routes out online if you had to look at hotels further away. Sure you could find something not too bad that would be walking distance to the bus stop.

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    I'm not above taking a bus. Besides it's not just him with the limited budget. ;) We've factored in our air fare, food and beer, and miscellaneous items as well.

crosspunisher on
    edited February 2008
    Driving is cheaper than airfare. If you guys drive, then you can afford to spend more on the hotel.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    for walking distance (under 6 blocks?) You could try the days inn. Last year it was a PAX hotel, no idea if it will be this year or not. I heard it was really ghetto.

other than that you cant do any better than the current PAX hotels. They are only hundreds of feet away.

BigRed on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cheapest way is still the Green Tortoise Hostel, I don't know how much having your own room goes for(As opposed to bunking with random people like I did, which ended up being 3 people going to PAX anyways) but I paid $25 bucks a night to stay there last year. Its within walking distance, and right by the Pike Street Market if you feel like seeing people toss fish around. If I manage to get the money for one of the closer hotels I'll stay at one of them, but just throwing this out there as its an option.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited February 2008
    for walking distance (under 6 blocks?) You could try the days inn. Last year it was a PAX hotel, no idea if it will be this year or not. I heard it was really ghetto.

other than that you cant do any better than the current PAX hotels. They are only hundreds of feet away.

It is really nice to have the hotel so close. I could just about run from one spot to the next. I swear I'm bringing more food for next year though. That basket of candy in the hotel was a real rip-off.

Viscountalpha on
    edited February 2008
    Copying this from the questions thread.

hotels.jpg

Map key:

Point 1 = Hyatt & Roosevelt hotels
    Point 2 = Sheraton
    Point 3 = WSCTC Entrance

More details on sheraton:
    sheraton.jpg

1: Side entrance for sheraton (closes around midnight)
    2: Corner entrance for sheraton
    3: WSCTC Entrance

BigRed on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Days Inn 7th Ave is 7-8 blocks from the convention center. I stayed there last year and was paying ~100 bucks a night for a single room for my gf and I. Worked out quite nicely. It might get added to the list of hotels again this year (it got added fairly late last year), but I'm pretty sure it's cheap to begin with. I just checked their website and regular price for 4 nights (Thursday-Monday) is 575 bucks with tax. I think the Penny Arcade rate only knocked 30-40 bucks a night off the price.

tr0tsky on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know this has already been answered...but i want to make absolutely sure with a specific hotel.

The Sheraton will not charge your card until you check in, correct?

JonnyNero on
    edited February 2008
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    I know this has already been answered...but i want to make absolutely sure with a specific hotel.

The Sheraton will not charge your card until you check in, correct?

None of the 3 hotels will.

BigRed on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    None of the 3 hotels will.
    cool...thanks!

JonnyNero on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What exactly does the Sheraton main page mean when it says "Unfortunately the group rate discount is sold out for 8/26 & 8/27 only at this time. Thank you"? It seems to be saying that the rate is no longer sold on the 26th and 27th, but when I look for rooms it for the 26th-1st it quotes me $169/night.

I'm going to reserve anyway (since you can cancel later) but I would like to be able to figure out if I'm going to get the discount for all nights or not...

ASimPerson on
    edited February 2008
    Try booking for only 8/26 and 8/27 and see if you get the same rate. Cuz I think they mean that if you want JUST those two days, you don't get the discount.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited February 2008
    Yea it's weird how hotels/car rentals/airlines are like that.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I found this interesting parking lot for $10 a day event parking. It was kind behind the WSCTC by the highway. I am not sure what parking lot it was but it was sure empty.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    On the hotel page it says that the Penny Arcade group discount is for the Grand Hyatt is "$169 for singles or doubles, $179 for corner suites", however on their site they list the $169 rate, but not the $179 corner suite rate. Rather, they list the Emerald Suite at $269 for the group discount.

Is there a reason for this discrepancy?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited February 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    On the hotel page it says that the Penny Arcade group discount is for the Grand Hyatt is "$169 for singles or doubles, $179 for corner suites", however on their site they list the $169 rate, but not the $179 corner suite rate. Rather, they list the Emerald Suite at $269 for the group discount.

They are sold out?

The emerald suite and the corner suite are different.

I remember someone else mentioning that the corner suite was sold out.

BigRed on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

They are sold out?

Darnit. The hotels fill up fast.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited February 2008
    Yea people were saying corner suite was sold out like second day it was up.

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    What exactly does the Sheraton main page mean when it says "Unfortunately the group rate discount is sold out for 8/26 & 8/27 only at this time. Thank you"? It seems to be saying that the rate is no longer sold on the 26th and 27th, but when I look for rooms it for the 26th-1st it quotes me $169/night.

I'm going to reserve anyway (since you can cancel later) but I would like to be able to figure out if I'm going to get the discount for all nights or not...

They may be all sold of of the lowest possible rate at that time, I would personally give them a call and see if they can push it through for you. It is possible that we might be able to get them to open up the block of hotel rooms later on in the year but that will still depend on a lot of factors.

Viscountalpha on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Sheraton is quoting me $194 a night, which isn't the $169 it claimed. I went ahead and made a booking for one of the huge rooms at the Hyatt ($300 a night... OW!) hoping to be able to get at least three friends to help cover it. I'll probably end up cancelling it for something cheaper, though.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008

They are sold out?

Darnit. The hotels fill up fast.

They'll probably open up more rooms soon.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited February 2008
    Samyel wrote: »
    The Sheraton is quoting me $194 a night, which isn't the $169 it claimed. I went ahead and made a booking for one of the huge rooms at the Hyatt ($300 a night... OW!) hoping to be able to get at least three friends to help cover it. I'll probably end up cancelling it for something cheaper, though.

Uh... did you say that there were 4 people staying in the room?

The hotels charge an extra per person fee for more than 2 people staying.

Also keep in mind that these prices on the site DONT INCLUDE TAXES!
    Hotel tax in seattle is 18%, so.... $169 quoted rate will end up being around $200 per night with taxes included.

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.