As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You-Comics... any potential here?

mrbreen7410mrbreen7410 Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Artist's Corner
Just want to show off some of my work.

couple.jpg

GuitarChick.jpg

character.jpg

mrbreen7410 on

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    No more potential than that hamfisted Wakeup-USA trash you tried peddling a couple days ago. I used to think the guy that "drew" movie comics couldn't draw for shit, but you've just dethroned him. And by the looks of that bodybuilder above, you may have just dethroned Rob Leifeld as well.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why can I see the girls nipples looking both east and west? Also, that guy seems to have a horribly enlargened and deformed penis. Please look at some naked people.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy christ that first picture is bad. Everything should be reworked. If that is the ad you hope to get people to purchase from, man, scrap it and start an all new one.

The second image is actually rather cute and I could see people paying a reasonable fee for one of those.
    If you want to make a revenue stream out of this I've seen auctions on eBay for artists who draw people's MMO characters. Might want to look into drawing some of those. Your style would work well enough, especially for WoW or CoH where a more cartoon look fits the source material.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hmm... well, I can't say I wasn't expecting these kind of responses. Typical PA forums. Haha... :lol:

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i wish we had sound on here..or even better a video clip of stewie yelling "You SSSUCk!"
    2nd pic better. And the 3rd pic is so generic you could put ANYONE with brown hair and it would look similar.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The first one isn't great, if you're going to do a muscle guy you really need to know anatomy back to front, even with a characature. The second one I like very much. The third one....I don't know what I think, it's nice but it doesn't look a whole lot like the guy in the pic.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    NakenZergling - If you think that one looks soooo generic as you put it... I have plenty more where that came from. Here's another:

william.jpg

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That one is mucho better.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    or

kevin.jpg

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I would post a link to all 30 something cartoons I've done for a police academy class... but this forum appears to be run by communists. :P

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thank you Mustang for your constructive criticism. I will continue to work on that. It's the first cartoon I've done with "muscles".

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    police academy class

MAHONEY!

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You need to have a thick shell around here mate, the beauty of this place is that if your stuff sucks you know about it. I'd rather harsh criticism than none at all.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dude think whatever you want. None of those cartoons look like the picture any more than any other generic dude.
    Big Shit you did 30 generic cartoons for some cops! Holy shit! You're the best fucking artist in here.
    You come in...you post stuff that is terrible in every shape, way and form..ask us what we think then get pissy when you don't like the answer.
    MagicToaster was correct in what he said. Your bodies are very bad.
    So we all must be wrong in saying your stuff is gerneric at best and really really bad at worst.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    NakenZerg... I never said I was the "best artist in the world", but if you think my work is complete and utter shit, and those cartoons look nothing at all like them, you're either just being a huge dick or you're blind. Where is your work at? I'd like to see you do better.

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Man I miss movie comics, now that guy could draw...

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Shit never mind, I'm thinking of Gabe again.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Just checked out your portfolio. Not impressed. Keep trying asshole.

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You guys are so pathetically bias it's amusing.

mrbreen7410 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok Lets take the cartoon that looks MOST like the pic it's next to. (The others aren't even close)
    Put it in with a few other bald guys and tell me you pic could be like any of these other guys. Add or subtract facial hair and earings...you drew A GENERIC BALD GUY.

bald.jpg

And if you think my portfolio isn't impressive then you're just being ignorant. I'm not the best artist in here, but to post this shit then dismiss my work shows you don't know shit pal.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You're such a twelve-year-old, it's astounding. Go back to hocking your crap to your friends in first period.

Oh, and it should be "You guys are so pathetically biased it's amusing." You're absolutely right though, we are totally biased against bullshit.

In case you do manage pull your head out of your ass, try working on anatomy.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You are correct on one thing: It is amusing. Seriously though, what do you expect? You tried to make a whole career out of ripping off Penny Arcade comics, sometimes panel for panel and now you're coming back to Penny Arcade trying to peddle political activism that deserves nothing more than a condescending pat on the head. And this, this really bland and just flat out bad artwork that hasn't improved much in the past 4 years.

What did you seriously expect?

• Options
    edited February 2008
    mixed4_Full.jpg
    wc8.jpg

here's one i did for someone..
    wc7.jpg
    bearsmalldone.jpg
    l_7ef9b7106df7903a454b6d8e2c6bb17a.jpg
    l_89cfe6941484d47afe566791bd1a3cb6.jpg

and here's my generic bald dude...want a pic to go with it?
    l_17984028a9f30766b3df904a50887b10.jpg

yeah i have no idea about anything art related..who am i to question your mad skillz.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would recommend looking at his portfolio and try to learn from his work. I know I'm tossing packing peanuts against a brick wall, but I am optimistic.

MKR on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That teddy bear is awesome.
    The one above it? I want to shave his head.

Accualt on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Good work!

Mayday on
  • Options
    flundraflundra Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    youcomicgetsit.jpg

flundra on
    banner.png
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    flundra - you just made my day :lol:

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You've been chicken drumsticked!

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh, god, I almost forgot.

Yes, these comics have a lot of potential... for me to poop on!

Man... that friggin' puppet... that's the greatest.

multimoog on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tam wrote: »

You're such a twelve-year-old, it's astounding. Go back to hocking your crap to your friends in first period.

Hey

Projeck on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here for the sake of jumping on the bandwagon. I was thinking this before I even read all the other comments, so take this as you will.

You drawings really are generic. You need to find the specific qualities in peoples' faces that make them unique. You also really need to work on your anatomy.

And, jesus, every time you draw a woman you don't have to draw her practically naked. And why just the breasts if you're giving her a transparent swimsuit? Why not draw her va-jay-jay, too? And that guy's shlong? Let's all wear transparent swimwear - it's what people do.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NakenZerg... I never said I was the "best artist in the world", but if you think my work is complete and utter shit, and those cartoons look nothing at all like them, you're either just being a huge dick or you're blind. Where is your work at? I'd like to see you do better.

oh fuck

oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck the "I'd like to see you do better" defense

oh fuck yesssssss it has been
    SO LONG since I've had reason to post this:

FUmang.jpg

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Obvious troll is obvious

Mayday on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    as much as i feel that yeah his work is generic and yeah, he needs a lot of work if he wants to go from drawing his friends in first period to selling his comic...
    posting your own work to one up him seems kind of like you're stooping to his level of calling us communists

(actually... about that... i think you should watch this: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum pretty much the entire thing applies to you, mrbreen)

so mrbreen, stop being a jackass, take the crits, your work is amateurish, deal with it and get better.
    fuck i'm tired of whiners.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    posting your own work to one up him seems kind of like you're stooping to his level of calling us communists.
    But he asked for it specifically.

Mayday on
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So Chung Lee's thighs, huh?, Wow!!!

JeckalHyde on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    so mrbreen, stop being a jackass, take the crits, your work is amateurish, deal with it and get better.
    fuck i'm tired of whiners.

hey now, my stuff isn't that bad...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I assume all the people here making the comparison to Movie Comics are also seeing that this guy's user name is 'mrbreen'? He's just here to stir up shit.

If you are David Breen, man, then I'm amazed that your artwork has not improved in the years since you quit MC - at least, I can't see any evidence of it in these images. I appreciate you're going for a certain style, but you need to let it go. It doesn't work.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wow, I actually just looked at movie-comics. It was much better than these two recent projects, and I think in part because it mimics early Penny Arcade so well.

multimoog on