As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    The controls were extremely unresponsive and the lag compounded the problem. I felt like I was playing the game remotely by telling a guy in china what my character should do and he didn't understand english very well. It's not the worst shitty free asian MMO I've played, but it's pretty close.
    That's weird, I've never had lag that bad. :?

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have Aldo, lead me to logging out for the night.

edit: and yes, it does feel very clunky and unresponsive.

Seg on
    edited February 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    I have Aldo, lead me to logging out for the night.

edit: and yes, it does feel very clunky and unresponsive.
    The mind boggles.

I just logged on and was playing virtually lag free.

Aldo on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have exactly two seconds of lag on everything I do.
    I got over it because it's free, a fun time waster with an amazing amount of content, and macros do most of the work for me anyway. It barely bothers me at all, the combat isn't omg reflexes devil may cry after all.
    SPI didn't actually get to play the gameplay, so if anybody was wondering if they should try it out maybe you should ping the website which I assume is hosted in the same country as the servers and check your response time. If its really bad you probably wont be able to enjoy it at all.
    Easier than downloading the client.
    I'm pretty sure I read on their forums that there is no American server or anything, if that will help give anyone some perspective.

If you can get over the fetish for furry hate (You see what I did there?) a foxgirl's pet compensates for any lag nicely in solo play. It automatically defends you and taunts, so it responds faster than you to an attack.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • NidaNida Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There has only been two times I've exeperienced any real lag.
    Like Seg, I just logged off and came back later.

Sometimes I have a little delay in casting spells, but that's been it for me.
    I think I remember someone here mentioning before that there is a time wait for spells to be cast and it's not just lag. I rarely ever do any casting, so I wouldn't really have noticed if it always happens or not.

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    Nida wrote: »
    There has only been two times I've exeperienced any real lag.
    Like Seg, I just logged off and came back later.

Sometimes I have a little delay in casting spells, but that's been it for me.
    I think I remember someone here mentioning before that there is a time wait for spells to be cast and it's not just lag. I rarely ever do any casting, so I wouldn't really have noticed if it always happens or not.

There is a delay on pretty much everything, it sucks the most as a melee against mobs that like to move away and then stop and shoot at you, because they run you chase them and while you are waiting for your attack to happen they run again.

Seg on
    edited February 2008
    I use melee though. I've yet to have a ranged mob run away again before I hit them Owo
    Are these skill based attacks or your basic attacks after you click on a mob to attack them?

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    I finally got a flying mount. Turns out the duration aspect only affects the time for increased speed. I'm not sure how to refill it, but I think it might have something to do with having particular items and going to the Pet Administrator (much like crafting minus having to learn or level the skill).

Nida on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So does the game change very much as you level up, or is it pretty much... Go to village, get quests, kill monsters the whole way through, but with Bad Engrish and a clunky control scheme? Level 9 so far.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    So does the game change very much as you level up, or is it pretty much... Go to village, get quests, kill monsters the whole way through, but with Bad Engrish and a clunky control scheme? Level 9 so far.
    It's a MMO, yes. :P A free one, to boot. But as I said in my OP, it's rules supreme over most - if not all - other free MMOs in almost every way. (Control scheme in Lunia is better, English is better in CABAL, etc.) If you can look past this short-comings you're looking at a very decent and complete game that doesn't cost you anything.

Plus: icebear mounts.

Aldo on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

I got my Foxgirl up to level 16, and yeah... really nothing ever changes up to that point, and others who are much higher level have confirmed it pretty much stays the same (it's an MMO, so...). I think that the reason this is starting to drag on me moreso than, say, World of Warcraft is that really NOTHING seems to change between villages. Each one is a generic little collection of buildings with the same few characters (banker, merchandizer, guards, and the various tradeskill guys), and essentially you get quests to kill a fuckton of monsters, come back, and kill another fuckton of slightly higher level monsters.

Perfect World did teach me a valuable lesson, though... games should be fun. I had the realization that the reason I was looking for something else was that I started to not have fun with my WoW main character, because I had respecced him for arenas and tried to play him that way. SL/SL may be a great spec for arenas, but it's boring as hell. And so I said 'screw it' to arenas and specced back to Affliction, which is ecstatic fun. Then we played some arena, and still did well.

So thanks, PW... you have done well by me. ;-)

Toxic Pickle on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I liked the look of the game, but the lag is ridiculous. I get up to 1s delay on actions, and i've tested it at various times of the day. It's just not playable, which is a shame as the insane quirkiness/tackiness of the game really appealed to me.

Lly on
  • duonguyenduonguyen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to try this game out, but I don't seem to get a ping when i select server from launcher just shows up "----"

duonguyen on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    duonguyen wrote: »
    I'd like to try this game out, but I don't seem to get a ping when i select server from launcher just shows up "----"

It's borked at their router.

I believe they are changing ISP's and expect it to take into the beginning of march.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If the game servers are in Malaysia, then that's probably the reason for the delay in action. It has to receive the command, then bounce that off all the information it's getting from other sources then various checks, then send it all back to you.

That's honestly my only complaint with the game, other than that it does a good job at what all MMO's are about; grind, grind, grind, turn in mission, level up, and repeat.

More classes and options for customizing the beast race classes would be cool, but the game is still in (Alpha?) Beta and from what I've seen not close to done

It'll be a great alternative to games like WoW/FFXI/SWG/etc... when it's done getting cleaned up (engrish, controls, ui)

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
  • duonguyenduonguyen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope it gets fixed soon, really want to try this out. I did play silkroad online, which provided entertainment for a few days..

duonguyen on
    edited February 2008
    Once you get to Ancient Dragon City, things change around a little bit.
    I was actually enjoying the simillar scheme of the towns before it.
    I'm just now getting a hang og the ADC layout (then again, I'm horrible when it comes to directions).
    There are still a lot of the kill x amount of monster quests, but some variation is popping up.
    Pretty average really.

I was running through one of the souless attacks while on one of those 'run around a lot' quests and didn't stop to check it out, but they seem like they might be fun to participate in. Who can argue with good drops and a boss battle or two? XD

Has anyone particpated in any of the arena events/treasure seizing?
    I want to try out the Jungle Relic event too (I like being sneaky), but still a ways to go until level 40.
    I'm also hoping we can get enough people together to dip into the territory wars.

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    I'll be playing some more in the coming days, I'll focus on Dragon Quests because you can get that polar bear mount through it. :D

Unfortunately I have to kill 40 wolves and those beasts are apparently a favourite among up and coming werefox grinders. >_< Alternatively I can pay 13k gold, but really I'm already poor enough. I can't make a decent time/profit analysis! No idea what would be smarter; grinding lower lev mobs for that 13k or grinding those wolves at a slower rate? D:

I'm also horribly low on SP. Hmm.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    I'll be playing some more in the coming days, I'll focus on Dragon Quests because you can get that polar bear mount through it. :D

Unfortunately I have to kill 40 wolves and those beasts are apparently a favourite among up and coming werefox grinders. >_< Alternatively I can pay 13k gold, but really I'm already poor enough. I can't make a decent time/profit analysis! No idea what would be smarter; grinding lower lev mobs for that 13k or grinding those wolves at a slower rate? D:

I was reading a post where someone had asked if it was quicker leveling to kill lower level mobs since they die faster, and the general consensus was that if you are fighting green or weaker mobs you would actually be gaining slower because of how experience/skill points/loot is penalized for killing weaker mobs.

If those Wolves are "elite" type mobs, you may want to plan a day where a couple of guildies can join you.

Seg on
    edited February 2008
    Nah, they're normal. But they still kick my ass because I'm a WR. :P

Aldo on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

a) Roll a foxgirl
    b) ???
    c) Profit!

Toxic Pickle on
    edited February 2008
    a) Roll a foxgirl
    b) ???
    c) Profit!
    SAY NO TO FURRY!

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    WBs are far more furry than an anime catgirl.

Err, I mean, NO!

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    I demoted two Commanders for not being really active and instead made two 20+ers commander. It also appears our vice-guild leader isn't really playing anymore. If there's any suggestions on who to replace him with, do tell.

I mean, if we even want to bother with promoting everyone. :P

Aldo on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I finally went around to trying this during WoW's downtime (had it downloaded but not installed for a couple weeks, now). First impressions, kinda cool. Living in Korea, I'm quite used to the style of English used. Seems like there's a lot to learn very quickly, though. Takes a bit of time to get through it all, and I've only seen one village and part of one city so far.

SabreMau on
    edited February 2008
    Personally, I've found it quicker to level just doing quests D:
    I've yet to come to a point where I'm out of quests and have to grind a level or two to get anymore. Though the girl who ran me through fb19 said it gets harder once you hit 30, but then again, she had three of her characters on (logged in on three comps) and was running around in a party all the time. Maybe that extra exp I'm not having to share because I'm a mean anti-social bitch is paying off in the end? lol
    a) Roll a foxgirl
    b) ???
    c) Profit!
    QFFE XD

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    I wish I could log on.

I might try a proxy later but I don't know how good the lag will be with that.

Seidkona on
    edited February 2008
    Have you not been able to login since patching last week?

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    Have you not been able to login since patching last week?

Nope. It dies about 20 hops in and I cannot connect.

They assure me they are working on it, but I don't know that that means in my tangible real reality.

I haven't been inactive by choice. I just can't get on.

Seidkona on
    edited February 2008
    No, worries. That's understandable ^_^;
    I have a feeling its affecting a lot of people.
    This past week, the Guild has been quite empty.

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    a) Roll a foxgirl
    b) ???
    c) Profit!
    SAY NO TO FURRY!

haha yeah furries are terrible people and should feel bad...all the time. To be fair though, I did roll a WB and a WF to see how the classes perform. The WB/F it appears are the most versatile classes when it comes to direction on where you want to go with your char. The diversity though only seems to stem from the fact that the transform ability places some restrictions on your character and you need to make a choice on where your going to stear your character, for WB either being more defensive or offensive and the WF being a melee or caster dps type.

Really all of that is besides the point since I'm sticking with my mage, it might help someone else out though with picking a class.

also i'd like to nominate myself for VGL, I know it won't happen but i'd like to be the Ron Paul of the race.

sleepdeamon on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Justice called.

Frosteey on
    edited February 2008

Well I got it fixed.

All the bitching I did seems to have worked as I can now reach the servers.

Seidkona on
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Created a mage, named Sinwalker. My brother and I will be looking for an invite.

intelnavi on
    edited February 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Justice called.
    Justice called?

That's great Entaru =3

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    Magicians are kind of cool, throwing firey cards, using focused whirlwinds, or dropping meteors on the mobs.

Seg on
    edited February 2008
    intelnavi wrote: »
    Created a mage, named Sinwalker. My brother and I will be looking for an invite.

oh haha, that was you buy the mage trainer. you should have said something

sleepdeamon on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So... why are they asking for my passport number and phone number to create a login?

Vargas Prime on
    edited February 2008
    Is says underneath the box for the identity card/passport number: The information you provide here will be used for Account ownership verification for any account related issues, disputes, contests and lucky draws.

A phone number isn't one of the required fields.
    It's just an options for users who want to use some of their molbile phone based features.

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    So... why are they asking for my passport number and phone number to create a login?
    Because Malaysians are silly. Unless you are deadset on winning contests and stuff you should just fill out a random number.

Aldo on