As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think Accualt is throwing the word strategy in there when he just means skill(he was even jumping back and forth between the words in that post). I think he has a point in that it could be argued that knowing all the powers in WoW and the correct counter is not necessarily skill. I think however that there is definetly strategy involved in MMOs and especially in things like battlegrounds and raids. There can also be absolutely no strategy if you let there be.

Gear Girl on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One of the things I think really helps set CoX apart from other MMOs is the character customization and how you can get as involved as you want, in terms of both design and roleplaying concept. In WoW or EQ your paladin or shaman is just that: a paladin or shaman, end of discussion. In CoX, despite having the same powersetsas other players, you can really make your character unique if you want. You kind of have the superhero theme to work from, but otherwise it's up to you. I think this really adds an extra level of character investment and interest than in other MMOs, and gives you the oportunity to weave your character into the many different story arcs at your own pace. CoX is a game more than any other where you get out of it what you put in.

Dartboy on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Basically my point is there is a limited amount of strategy that can be employed in MMO PvP due to numbers. Your best bet for survival is organization, as in gear that compliments your build, designating a main tank, assisting off of person X. These are strategic decisions but things like flanking don't really mean anything and there usually aren't good places to hide a second force for surprise attacks.
    I don't know, I'm being too strict with the whole strategy aspect. Thinking too much about military maneuvers that are impossible to perform in a game without collision detection. There is some strategy involved.

Accualt on
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Basically my point is there is a limited amount of strategy that can be employed in MMO PvP due to numbers. Your best bet for survival is organization, as in gear that compliments your build, designating a main tank, assisting off of person X. These are strategic decisions but things like flanking don't really mean anything and there usually aren't good places to hide a second force for surprise attacks.
    I don't know, I'm being too strict with the whole strategy aspect. Thinking too much about military maneuvers that are impossible to perform in a game without collision detection. There is some strategy involved.

I also believe that you are more likely to experience a greater level of strategy in an MMO then in any FPS unless you play on PA servers as everyone is just a lone gun the majority of the time.

The problem with strategy is that it is completely relative to the people employing it and the majority of people just don't care.

Gear Girl on
  • HJFrewHJFrew WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone know of a solid Sonic/Energy Blaster build? I just got to 22 with mine and I feel like I'm going about it all wrong.

HJFrew on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Strategy
    Tactics
    Skill

We're talking about different things.
    HJFrew wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a solid Sonic/Energy Blaster build? I just got to 22 with mine and I feel like I'm going about it all wrong.

You could post your build in the builds thread, and I'm sure you'll get some feedback there.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited February 2008
    Strategy
    Tactics
    Skill

You could post your build in the builds thread, and I'm sure you'll get some feedback there.

Either that thread is gone or I just have no clue where it is...

HJFrew on
    edited February 2008
    Strategy
    Tactics
    Skill

Either that thread is gone or I just have no clue where it is...

Damn, you caught me before I edited the link in. (Which was immediately after I realized the thread had dropped off the subforum threads list.)

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited February 2008
    What a wonderful human being you are, thank you!

HJFrew on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's only true insofar as the basis of all strategy is organization. I don't know if you tried an AV, but running with an organized group definitely has you addressing questions of how to allocate your force, what to prioritize, etc.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think one of the differences between WoW and CoX "lore" for me is how I read fantasy and comics. Fantasy to me is like Tolkein - stuff with a lot of history, thousands of years of it, and what's going on now is just a small slice of time of the ongoing struggles. So for me, just getting the Warcraft story from playing WCIII and reading wiki-type stuff is enough, I read it like a book.

Comics aren't even always consistent within the same month. Everything happens at an accelerated pace, everything is all about the characters and not so much about large factions and such. The factions there are, are smaller and more fickle. Finding out the motivations of characters one bit at a time, having them evolve as time goes on, to paint a larger and more colorful picture of them is fun. So if I find out from a mission that faction X is working with or for faction Y, I enjoy finding that out, and I watch for the little details that missions provide. Plus, fantasy MMOs make me feel like a generic soldier basically (every Night Elf, for example, has lived the exact same life as every other NE of their gender for a couple thousand years), while my comic characters are all very unique. And so I'm always looking for the missions that the character I'm playing at that particular moment would do, and I feel like I'm progressing my character in a story sense when they complete them.

If all you want is to beat up the boss and go home, the story won't matter much, but the CoX universe has some awesome potential as a comic book world.

Scooter on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

My blaster's sonic/eng and is level 24. Off the top of my head, I took the first three single-target blasts, the cone, and amplify in sonic/, and bonesmasher, buildup and conserve power in /eng. Also fly and stamina and their prereqs. I'll probably take the aoe sleep for soloing purposes, and I'm not sure how I feel about the stuns yet.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited February 2008
    Vanguard Tokens.
    I think its time to lower the prices or up the drops. The temp powers especially need their prices dropped. At the current cost, unless you plan on farming the "mini-raid" over and over, they simply aren't affordable. They really aren't even close to being a worthwhile price if you also want to get the costume parts and you can only get a full set of those by farming the mini-raid.

Accualt on
    edited February 2008
    Vanguard Tokens.
    I think its time to lower the prices or up the drops. The temp powers especially need their prices dropped. At the current cost, unless you plan on farming the "mini-raid" over and over, they simply aren't affordable. They really aren't even close to being a worthwhile price if you also want to get the costume parts and you can only get a full set of those by farming the mini-raid.

Agreed. I basically gave up when I saw how many tokens I got for a raid versus the cost of the parts and powers. However, it does make sense if they want those items to be "prestige" stuff... but I've never heard the devs describe them that way.

Plus you also run into the problem of potentially doing it for multiple characters, just for costume parts. Not sure what the solution to that bit is, though, because obviously they wanted to introduce a currency that couldn't be traded. <Insert my usual rant about how the devs need to make life easier for their players' alt characters here.>

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the non-raid merit drop rate sucks balls.

Also, looks like the 48 month vet reward has dropped early for some folks. Courtesty of the Euro forums: link

Little buff pets basically.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited February 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Yeah, the non-raid merit drop rate sucks balls.

Also, looks like the 48 month vet reward has dropped early for some folks. Courtesty of the Euro forums: link

Little buff pets basically.

Cool

Gear Girl on
    edited February 2008
    Alright, I got this reward yesterday and took the liberty of taking screenshots of all the pets. So enjoy.
    It's basically a self-buffing pet, all of them fly, have no time expiration and can't be controlled/renamed like Mastermind pets.

There are eight different skins:

Light Fae | Dark Fae | Blue Wisp | Red Wisp | Shield Drone | Power Drone | Shield Oscillator | Power Oscillator

There are also two different types. The "Blue/Shield" type buffs global defense by 3% and boosts recovery by 1.75%. The "Red/Power" type boosts global resistance by 5% and damage by 3%. It's a summonable pet but has 10 health points and -75% resistance to everything. However, the recharge time is very fast.

Well now that almost makes up for the absolutely worthless 45 month reward.

Accualt on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Damn thats a pretty cool vet reward.. Only 30 more months to get it! :(

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh my god

I've absolutely fallen in love with Masterminds

Hylianbunny on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bots/Dark is a dream. A dream. Now if only they did something about having to cast 12 buffs at the start of every damned mission...

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    You know if the thing has 10 HPs does it really need -75% Res to everything?

I find these less cool now, especially for my melee characters. Any AE will kill them in a heartbeat.
    Ah well, its a start. Something that is at least moderately useful.

Accualt on
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know my Thugs/FF Mastermind is probably my fave character so far, although I love my Energy Melee/Electric Armor Brute too. Bots/Dark has just been kinda slow to start with but then maybe I'm spoiled by the damage Thugs can earlier on. It's not like I've gotten high leveled with anybody yet but maybe with the faster leveling that'll change.

Digito on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thugs will always have the highest damage output; bots are rather enh until your big bot, and don't really take off until level 32. After that the lightshow begins.
    Still less damage than Thugs (not that much any more though), but they're tanks supreme, as long as you avoid AoE.

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    You know if the thing has 10 HPs does it really need -75% Res to everything?

I find these less cool now, especially for my melee characters. Any AE will kill them in a heartbeat.
    Ah well, its a start. Something that is at least moderately useful.

They can be buffed though, so defense-based buffers can keep em alive longer. And they might be useful for taking alphas. I do wonder why they didn't just make it 1 HP if it's gonna have that much -res though.

Scooter on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wonder how grant invisibility will work out on it?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited February 2008
    Hey, just checked the CoH frontpage for the first time in a while, and they're still hiring:

http://www.plaync.com/us/jobs/jobs_norcal.html

Are you a bad enough dude to moderate the official forums? :rotate:

Corvus on
    edited February 2008
    Are you a bad enough dude to moderate the official forums? :rotate:

No one is ready for that..

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know... I wouldn't mind that job, but I'd probably be drunk with power by the afternoon. And the forums would be sooooo quiet.

And it's right down the highway from me.

Fuck it, I'm submitting my resume.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So.

I used to play about 6 monthes ago. Hero, level 40 something Eng/Dark Defender. Used to have good enough attacks and excellent buffs and debuffs. Have they changed those power sets much since then?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited February 2008
    So.

I used to play about 6 monthes ago. Hero, level 40 something Eng/Dark Defender. Used to have good enough attacks and excellent buffs and debuffs. Have they changed those power sets much since then?

Not really, no. Dark Miasma hasn't changed at all, and Energy Blast had the animations for Power Bolt, Power Blast, and Power Burst made faster.

Corvus on
    edited February 2008
    So.

Not really, no. Dark Miasma hasn't changed at all, and Energy Blast had the animations for Power Bolt, Power Blast, and Power Burst made faster.

Not sure on the timing (might have been longer than 6 months ago) but Power Burst also had its range doubled to 40'.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    You know... I wouldn't mind that job, but I'd probably be drunk with power by the afternoon. And the forums would be sooooo quiet.

Delete the "Say Something Nice To The Person Above You" thread in the Virtue forums and you will be my hero.

Wallhitter on
    edited February 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »

Delete the "Say Something Nice To The Person Above You" thread in the Virtue forums and you will be my hero.

Wallhitter you have lovely hair.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh God, if I became a moderator on the official board there would be a purge of biblical proportions.

Pb on
    edited February 2008
    randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008

Quick! What's a decent asking for salary for a Forum mod?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited February 2008

2 dollars, a coke, and a twinkie each day.

Gear Girl on
    edited February 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »

....... I guess I could live in my cubical. Wait, this isn't Ion Storm I'm applying for!

EDIT: Shit, MV is expensive to live in.

EDIT2: Well, Resume is sent off. For the record, I asked for about 22,500/year. Seems like that's reasonable, right?

You know, it'll be a real kick if I actually, through some sheer miracle, got this job.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »

....... I guess I could live in my cubical. Wait, this isn't Ion Storm I'm applying for!

Didn't they actually pay someone to moderate the forums back when CoH came out? I seem to remember something about some guy saying that he got paid for sitting at his desk all day and moderating the CoH forums.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008
    Uh, NCsoft's always had nameless moderators on staff.

If it was some random guy saying he was working from home or something, it was bullshitting.

Scooter on
This discussion has been closed.