As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Airport express help

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
ok, have spent all night trying to set up my airport express right now and i am almost at teh point where i want to through it across the room

Installed the airport utility program. am trying to join an existing wireless network. every time i have tried setting it up. 1 of 2 things has happened.

it goes through it once, but then when it restarts the unit, it won't turn ack on right and errors not saving anything. with this I usually have my connection to my wireless killed, something won't let me connect automatically to my wireless network.

or it just can't detect the unit or connect initially to it

some things that might be useful to know

PC
wireless is a 2wire gateway, this is located maybe 20 feet away

have not once gotten the green light. just the flashing amber. i switched plugs hoping that would help, but no

help

camo_sig.png
mts on

• Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So..you're connected to it via Ethernet and are trying to configure it that way? Also do you have the DHCP management disabled? Having two DHCP servers on the same network will cause massive breakage to the network. Also what sort of security settings do you have on your WiFi network? Are you using WEP or WPA or none? Do you have MAC access lists enabled on your main router? What is the APE for?

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bash wrote: »
    So..you're connected to it via Ethernet and are trying to configure it that way? Also do you have the DHCP management disabled? Having two DHCP servers on the same network will cause massive breakage to the network. Also what sort of security settings do you have on your WiFi network? Are you using WEP or WPA or none? Do you have MAC access lists enabled on your main router? What is the APE for?
    tried connecting to it wirelessy. it goes through the connection and when it restarts it won't find the airport or can't reconnect to my network

I tried siabeling DHCP but couldn't do it without having to enter Ip addresses and stuff, is that the ip address i get via connecting to my network?

i am pretty sure its via WEP. its a 10 digit number i use off my router

i am also fairly computer illiterate so use small words

no idea on MAC, or what APE is

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So what you're actually trying to do is use it as a repeater, extending a wireless network you already have?

I'm sorry to inform you that that is going to be a pain in the ass. You need to *throughly* research this on Google. You need to use WDS, but I'm afraid that it's a fragile technology that is very likely not to work across different networking brands, or maybe even supported at all.

It is not the Airport Express's fault, just network manufacturers in general.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i just want to use it so i can print and play my music wirelessly .

according to all the things on apple, it is not with WDS that i need.

everything seems to be connection issues

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    mts wrote: »

have not once gotten the green light. just the flashing amber. i switched plugs hoping that would help, but no

help

From Apple
    Flashing amber -Startup is complete, but AirPort Express didn't get an IP connection. Depending on your setup, it may mean AirPort Express is out of network range, unplugged from Ethernet, lacks a path to the Internet (or local router), or that there's an issue with your Internet service provider.
    Note: If AirPort Express is set up as a wireless client and the network it's joining is protected by an access control list, AirPort Express must be in the ACL to get an IP connection.

So basically your APE is not getting an IP from your 2wire Router for some reason, either because of settings or security.

Could you try doing it with WEP off just to start with?

Do you have an Access Control List in use? (This is a list in the 2wire router that tells the router what can or can't access the wireless on it, also known as a MAC filter).

I don't know much about 2wire routers but I do have a Airport Express, and I love it. I can try and help but I don't want to mess with my own settings to much, I have it setup to do a ton of stuff, and if I screw it up it will take me ages to remember what goes where :P

Steps I would take:

1) Reset to factory defaults (its easy to mess something up, forget what you did and it will never connect)
    How to perform a factory default reset

Important: This erases all settings and saved profiles. The settings erased include Access Control and RADIUS settings.

Follow these steps:
    Unplug the AirPort Express from the power outlet.
    Press and hold the reset button.
    Plug AirPort Express back into an AC outlet (still holding the button).
    Continue holding the button until you see the light flash green four times, which should happen after a few seconds.
    Release the button.

Reset is under the audio port, you will need a paper clip or a old biro.

2) Make sure you have the latest firmware (6.3 I think).

3) Connect the APE to your computer by cable, and set it up from there. Don't try and set it up over the wireless, its hard work!

4) Connect to the APE with the utility, manual setup, take the utility slowly, step by step.

5) Give the APE a name you will recognize and a password under Airport/Basestation

6) Under Airport/Wireless set "Wireless Mode" to "Join Wireless Network" Input your Wireless Networks name in the next box, and set security (preferably to none at this point!).

7) Go to the "Internet" tab, "configure IPv4" should be set to "use DHCP" copy the DNS servers from your 2wire, and put the IP Address of your 2wire into "DHCP Client ID" the rest should get pulled from your 2wire automatically when it reboots.

8) Update your settings and reboot. When the reboot finishes (takes a good 2mins at least) you should have a green light on the APE, meaning its connected to your wireless network, it will receive an IP Address from your 2wire and you may need to find this, or restart the airport utility before it will find your APE again.

Once we get you this far, we can start putting security back in place and setting up the printer and Airtunes.

I have to go out now but I will try and help again later if you need it

Best of luck!

(EDIT: Is the 2wire your wireless gateway (with a modem/router before it in a separate box) or your router (connects to the internet) I did this presuming it was your router).

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ok, followed gingus

went through all your instructions, got to step 8 and when i hit update, the APE reset but it also kept resetting my wireless network, eventually preventing the wireless from starting up

even after the APE restarted, I can't find it. but now as long as the APE is plugged in, my wireless router keeps cycling through turning on and searching for a dsl signal eventually it gives up. so i don't know if the APE setup worked and its preventing the wireless from activating it

i got the DNS (primary and secondary off the router log in page. i didn't put in a domain name since i wasn't sure of what it would be, could that be the problem?

i had taken off security on the router

still no dice. whenever i plug in the APE it restarts my wireless adapter

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    these are the numbers i took it from:
    Connection Type: PPPoE
    Username:
    Internet Address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Default Gateway:
    Primary Domain Name Server:
    Secondary Domain Name Server:
    Domain:

there was nothing next to the domain thing. internet address went into the DHCP client id. i put the primary and secondary Domain name server numbers into the two places for it

did i screw something up?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I know ginguskahn was trying to help, but I still don't think you are actually communicating the problem right, so he can't be expected to solve it. You still keep talking about your wireless router, in addition to your Airport Express.

You need to say what hardware you have (networking and computers) and how you are expecting them to interoperate. It still sounds like you're trying to make the Airport Express connect to a wireless network that you already have.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    the airport express can be used to add the abilty to print as well as play music via airtunes. it can be used stand alone plugged directly into the dsl/cable internet or it can be used to join an existing wireless network. its not being used as a repeater or a wireless network booster.

i am trying to get it to join my current wireless network. ya know like i said in the first post

my wireless router is plugged directly into the DSL...this is a 2wire something or another, don't know the exact model offhand as i am at work.

the APE won't join my network despite following instructions.

gingus actually has an airport express and seems to know the hell i am in regards to setup.

this seems to be a very common problem. but no one really knows what they did to fix it.

i have an intel wireless card receiving at 802.11g/b
    its win xp

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

i am trying to get it to join my current wireless network. ya know like i said in the first post

gingus actually has an airport express and seems to know the hell i am in regards to setup.

Being snide is a really great way to get people to help. And yes, I also have an Airport Express, but I'm not in the mood to help you now.

Hopefully ging will.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    the reason i keep bring up my router is if i even turn on the airport express it kicks me off the router for some reason and i can't connect wirelessly to either that or the APE

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    these are the numbers i took it from:
    Connection Type: PPPoE - Not needed for the APE
    Username: Not Needed for APE
    Internet Address: Will be different for APE (2wire should give it one via DHCP)
    Subnet Mask: 2wire should provide via DHCP
    Default Gateway: 2wire should provide via DHCP
    Primary Domain Name Server: Copy into APE
    Secondary Domain Name Server: Copy into APE (neither primary or secondary are always needed, but its usually safer to pop them in manually)
    Domain: Not Needed for APE

there was nothing next to the domain thing.

internet address went into the DHCP client id. i put the primary and secondary Domain name server numbers into the two places for itThis should be the IP Address you use to get to the 2Wires webpage/user interface, not your internet IP. Normally it would be 192.168.1.1 (or close to) or 10.0.0.1 (or close to). Looking at some 2wire manuals, they don't give a default IP, only to use http://gateway.2wire.net , you could try putting that in, but I'm not sure if the APE allows you to use Domain names.

You could also try going to a DOS prompt and typing "ping http://gateway.2wire.net" that should give you its IP address in the results.

did i screw something up?

It is a little confusing to be fair, and to be honest, I have no idea why the APE would knock out your router and not allow you to connect to either, especially as its not in WDS or repeater mode!

I've made some amendments to your quote above that might possibly help.

Your not using any sort of "super G" fast mode on the 2wire are you? just the standard 802.11g mode.

Are you still connected to the Airport by cable when you try and reconnect to your network after rebooting the APE? You might want to pull the cable out while its rebooting, incase your computer is trying to use the APE as a wireless ethernet adapter. Might also pay to either reboot your computer or refresh your IP address as well, while the APE is down. (click start/run, type "CMD" then in the DOS prompt type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" to refresh your Ip on XP, if my memory serves, Im not on a windows box right now).

What wireless channel are you using?

I am reading up on some 2wire stuff now so I might amend this post shorty.

Edit: Model number of your 2wire might help at this point.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ahha, i think i found the Internet address

Private Network
    Router Address: 192.168.1.***
    Subnet Mask:
    DHCP Range: 192.168.1.** - 192.168.1.***
    Allocated: 8
    Available: 182

its a 2wire 2700HG-B gateway. its on wireless channel 10

i have no idea why it was kicking me off of my wireless. i think i was still connected to the APE at the time. i am thinkiin maybe it wouldn't hurt to switch the cable to the router. according to my gateway i am at 802.11b with a DTIM of 1, power 10. i can switch it to 802.11g or b/g

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    gingus. really appreciate the help so far, and for speaking in my kind of terms.

i didn't mess with it tongiht as i am not feeling super hot and was in surgery all morning/afternoon

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No problem, hope your feeling better, nothing to serious I hope.

Can't hurt to switch to b/g mode, if the card in your pc supports it you should see an improvement at the very least.

"Private Network
    Router Address: 192.168.1.***" That number is what should go in the APE under "DHCP Client ID"
    The APE should then get an IP allocated to it from the 2wires "DHCP Range" that you posted up there.

Can't see any problems using channel 10, should be fine.

Defiantly pull the ethernet cable out of the APE when its rebooting, once that light goes green on the APE we can troubleshoot elsewhere.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    nah just a bit of the 24 hr flu. i was doing the surgeries not getting them so I am fine other than being tired.

i will give it a shot tonight. crossing my fingers with this latest support

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    HELL yea!

success. i think the router IP address did the trick. Also pulled the wire during setup. I was able to play via airtunes and managed to set up a printer to it and actually print a test page.

things i didn't do
    i didn't change my security its still on WEP. think i should switch it to something like WPA-psk? would it be a huge pain to set that up?

didn't switch to 802.11b/g. if i switch that will it need to reconfigue the airport?

thanks so much gingus. i would buy ya a beer or two if we were local

question.

if i plug a usb hub on there, i can presumably add more than one usb device, would anything change in terms of setup with the port ala printer setup?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    HELL yea!

success. i think the router IP address did the trick. Also pulled the wire during setup. I was able to play via airtunes and managed to set up a printer to it and actually print a test page.

things i didn't do
    i didn't change my security its still on WEP. think i should switch it to something like WPA-psk? would it be a huge pain to set that up?

didn't switch to 802.11b/g. if i switch that will it need to reconfigue the airport?

thanks so much gingus. i would buy ya a beer or two if we were local

Awesome, glad to hear thats sorted :) Happy to help m8, and happy ure the one doin the surgery and not under going it ;)

You should be able to switch to b/g with no changes to the Airport, if you do anything more than download from the internet over wireless, you would notice a speed increase, also if you notice your Airtunes having some buffering issues (pauses during play back) I would try b/g.

WPA shouldn't be to hard to change to, in theory its just change the mode and the passkey in the router, and copy those changes to the APE, WPA would be more secure, but unless you have some highly sensitive data going through your network I wouldn't say it was a "must have" WEP is usually enough to keep the neighbors out, and enough to make a war chalker move on to some other poor shmuck who has no security ;)

Worth noting for the future, in WDS mode WPA is generally not supported from my experience, with my own APE that was the stumbling point for me (I have mine as a WDS extender, Airtunes and have my 360 connected to the Ethernet Port).

Enjoy wireless music! :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1. I don't think a USB hub is supported for printer sharing with the APE. I believe they're supported from the new Airport Extremes but not the older Express.

2. Make sure you never enable/disable the DHCP (distribute addresses) function on the Airport. If you have two devices on the same network distributing addresses things can and will blow up. I think you've got this disabled now but keep it in mind in the future.

3. If you're on Windows make sure you install Bonjour for Windows that came in the APE box. You can get the latest version off of Apple's website. This will let you connect to a printer shared over the APE.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bash is right, can't use a usb hub with the Express, only on the "Wireless N" Extreme.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i didn't change anything other tha put in my addresses. i am planning on not touching the thing again, now hat i have it working :)

if i go through the utility it knocks me briefly off of my wireless , but i reconnect quickly. i can deal with that

i actually set up my printer through this link i found via adding a TCP/ip port creation. worked quite well without doing the bonjour. i have bonjour installed but i didn't do anything with it

mts on
    camo_sig.png