As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Liar Kings and Stupid Wing Dings

SephSeph Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Social Entropy++
PC gaming dead? Let's examine this in a smart ass, no research, opinionated wrong-fest! You can't stop me!

What's the scene (I hate that word scene)....What's the scene on PC gaming nowadays? FPS, RTS, MMOS.

World of Warcraft, LOTORO, Guild Wars. >>>Coming soon we'll have Age of Conan and Warhammer Online
CSS/TF2/HL2, COD4 (though granted stronger on console), Some myriad of other Military War games.
C&C: Tiberium Wars. Still relevant they are releasing an expansion to it in summerish.

These are the "current hotness"

End of the year comes StarCraft II, Spore, WoW: WOTLK, Fallout 3

Of course SIMS sales have always been good the last couple of years.

But everything we are looking at, the BIG SELLERS that keep the PC gaming market producing smaller titles are in 3 genres....mostly.

Fallout 3, Spore are kind of mid genres. Classic RPG goodness and Large scale RTS yummies, respectively.

As consoles branch out in strength to combo genres like Smash Bros. with its platforming fighter and No More Heroes with a kind of bushido blade, RPG grand theft auto appeal. PC games are becoming boiled down to a fine molasses. SC2 will surely be an example fo that. We all hope Fallout 3 will be a monument and refinement to the previous 2 with shiny new graphics and some interesting mechanics. But we don't want it to change what made Fallout 1&2 so great.

MMOS are always a refinement. Hardly ever an evolution. WoW refined what DAoC and EQ made, WH Online hopes to refine WoW's conflict faction aspect. Age of Conan is refining immersive worlds, like what Vanguard TRIED to do and failed miserably.

But as we hold our cups waiting for this essence, you have to wonder is innovation superior to refinement?
At the end of the day both have an unstable quality because the future can't be predicted, nor can the market

doit.png
Seph on

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    omg pc gamin is dum and ur dumb gawd go spend 5k on your grafix card u cunt

Tav on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    lets play some sins of a solar empire guys

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't think both Warhammer Online and Age of Conan are good, from what I played.

And I like both PC and consoles and neither will "die". What's this stupid debate even about?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    thread lacks Dawn of War

the hottest game in pc gaming

Kovak on
  • SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's not a debate it's just a discussion

Seph on
    doit.png
  • November6November6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just go buy it all then you can become the ultra dick and tell off all fanboys of everything that has been and will ever be.

November6 on
    fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit. source: Wil Weaton
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    how can play game with keyboard lol

ascot on
  • RageRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Stupid thread status quo.

Rage on
    edited February 2008
    PotU wrote: »
    I don't think both Warhammer Online and Age of Conan are good, from what I played.

And I like both PC and consoles and neither will "die". What's this stupid debate even about?

Newspost, as influenced by CliffyB's recent comments about the state of PC gaming.

Tav on
    edited February 2008
    Oh, sorry, I sometimes mix them up.

What's this stupid discussion even about?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    most of those games are out on consoles though

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mass Effect for the PC is going to be so awesome for those of us with uber PCs.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited February 2008
    Semen or Smoking or something?

November6 on
    fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit. source: Wil Weaton
    edited February 2008
    Ooooh, some developer said that on the internet.

Okay then.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pc gaming isnt dead. It's undead.

The_Scarab on
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like playing games on my computer.

I don't have a current-gen console.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am not one of those people that looks up market research trends to prophesize that PC gaming is dying/the next coming of Christ, I am just an avid gamer that has an opinion.

I used to be a strictly PC gamer. For almost six years, I owned no console and just played PC games. This wasn't because of elitism, or because I thought PCs were so much better, it's just the way things developed.

My computer has been having problems lately, so I requested, and received, an XBox 360 for Christmas. And I find a ~$350 machine is running games more beautifully than my $3000 Alienware on a prettier screen. And, I just plain seem to enjoy the games more. It's easy, no muss, no fuss. Pop in a disc and I'm playing in minutes. And I just absolutely love XBox Live - it's easy, yadda yadda.

Now my XBox hasn't been exactly perfect either. I recently sent it in for hard freezes, and I have had to RMA three different Rock Band peripherals. But even broken, it's easier than my computer ever was. No locating the error, no hours of phonetime with tech service, just box it up and send it off.

The things I'm missing, having turned from PC gaming:
    1. No MMORPGS. Fine by me, don't want to fall into that trap again.
    2. No user-made content. A goddamn shame, but I can handle it. On the one hand, I certainly won't be buying Oblivion for my XBox - on the other hand, I won't spend an hour finding new mods before I even start playing every day.

What is wrong with my prose today, jesus christ. I feel like I'm doped up.

Anyway, does this one dude's experience mean that PC gaming is doomed? Fuck no. However, I feel a lot of people are going through what I have, and while PC gaming may not be all fire and brimstone in the future, I do honestly feel that it holds the weakest card in this gen.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited February 2008
    I didn't say it was dead I'm talking about where its heading, whats it all about.

Seph on
    doit.png
    edited February 2008
    i can't wait for fallout 3. but i'm going to be playing that on my xbox. same with all these new mmos that are coming out, like APB and Champions Online

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited February 2008
    i can't wait for fallout 3. but i'm going to be playing that on my xbox. same with all these new mmos that are coming out, like APB and Champions Online

Fallout 3 makes me worry a bit. They said it's about half as big as Oblivion.

But it's supposed to be filled with a lot of shit, so that's cool.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited February 2008

Fallout 3 makes me worry a bit. They said it's about half as big as Oblivion.

But it's supposed to be filled with a lot of shit, so that's cool.

i thought i read the landmass would be smaller than the one in oblivion, but not as much as half. also yeah it will be filled with more shit to do and explore than oblivion was. sure that place was big but there wasn't much shit to do or find even if you did go exploring

Mister Longbaugh on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    pew pew phazors

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited February 2008
    Good Poast, Shankhill. A lot of people, I'd say the majority feel the same way you do. What are the PC's strong points? I think expansiveness and complexity. I've always thought that. On the subject of immersion, I felt pretty immersed playing Mass Effect on 360. I really think this is where the PC with it's superior capabilities for potential could really shine. Immersiveness. While consoles may be able to have level effects and weather stuff I think in PC it should become a constant standard.

Maybe in a MMO or strategy climate zones could be introduces in a world map. Seasons, geographic events (hurricanes, virtual global trading instead of just NPCs)

The sad part is, is that no matter what monthly sales and box sales drive the industry and that forces quantity to remain king over quality. Which is a shame, really.

Seph on
    doit.png
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if i had the option, in many cases i would prefer to play a game on a console than on my PC. significantly easier, for one thing and less dicking around.

there are exceptions, however, RTS is one genre i really have a hard time imagining playing anywhere but my PC.

plus user content as has been mentioned. however user content is always more of a 'that'd be awesome' than me actually downloading it, with the exception of Hidden: Source and Natural Selection.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2008
    Seph wrote: »
    Good Poast, Shankhill. A lot of people, I'd say the majority feel the same way you do. What are the PC's strong points? I think expansiveness and complexity.

I agree. People give out about having to tweak games and play with settings to get the best performance but I fucking love it. It's like crack to me.

Tav on
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Good Poast, Shankhill. A lot of people, I'd say the majority feel the same way you do. What are the PC's strong points? I think expansiveness and complexity.

I agree. People give out about having to tweak games and play with settings to get the best performance but I fucking love it. It's like crack to me.

Right On. Hate light bloom? (I do) turn it down and boost the performance of a different feature!

Seph on
    doit.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I didn't say it was dead I'm talking about where its heading, whats it all about.

Once the glut of mmo World of Warcraft copycats get eaten up and people realise not it isnt free money I think PC gaming will get back on track.

Seriously, Warhammer online, age of conan, all of these other games that are fantasy mmos, they will die on launch.

the only one that has in any way stood its ground is lotro and thats mainly off the broad market appeal of the lotr license.

guild wars is non subscription based and sold 5 million. thats the only challenger to wow at all. at all.

when developers stop trying to copy blizzard, a company with far more talent then they, i think we will see a lot of decent pc games come out.

WoW has done for the pc games market what star wars did for cinema.

The_Scarab on
    edited February 2008
    Warhammer Online has the chance to be really big at launch.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited February 2008
    If Lord of the Rings doesn't attract a huge playerbase, Warhammer doesn't have a chance.

Tav on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    when developers stop trying to copy blizzard, a company with far more talent then they, i think we will see a lot of decent pc games come out.

I would make a strong case that such a company does not exist

or at least it didn't a few years ago

Blizzard's been hemorrhaging long-timers lately

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tossrock wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I would make a strong case that such a company does not exist

or at least it didn't a few years ago

Blizzard's been hemorrhaging long-timers lately

and with that recent hemorrhage nerf for rogues..

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Steam will save pc gaming

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited February 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Steam will save pc gaming

I agree whole handedly. If I could get my entire back catalog of games on to steam I would never ever have to worry about losing my got damn CD and Key for games like Diablo 2 or Fallout Tactics

November6 on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I couldn't decide whether to use past tense or not.

The thing is one day all the platforms will have good digital distribution, and then the PC will have lost its last advantage.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Considering the fact that it's being made by Mythic, sweet.

Lucky Cynic on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Spore isn't really a RTS.

Of course, neither are most RTS's

NotASenator on