As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alienware vs Cyberpower PC

xBocephussxxBocephussx Registered User regular
Ok, so i'm looking for a new desktop to buy and I i've narrowed my choices down to 2. Alienware and Cyberpower (cyberpowerpc.com).

I can't chose.

I need it for gaming.

Any suggestions?

xBocephussx on

• Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If it's brand you're after, I duno but I haven't even heard of Cyberpower PC.

Now, the responses I would expect from here will probably be to the tune that you could spend a lot less money on a comprable machine that is home-built, but not everyone has the skills or the patience to do that.

My vote would be for Alienware if you are unwilling or unable to build your own PC. (but that is because I am unfamiliar with the other option).

Doomulon on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't say anything about cyberware, but honestly, if you're going to buy a premade, I'd suggest just specing out a good computer from a Dell or something, rather than paying the premium for an alienware or falcon.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd say that Alienware will offer three things:

1. A fast, stable and finely tuned computer. Without all the junk you'd find in an ordinary HP or Dell (just examples)
    2. A great user experience and support. They update you on the status of your build, give you little goodies and make you a big part of the computer's construction.

What's the difference in price between the two?

Have you considered any other manufacturers?

Fraz on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would definately say build your own, but if you must, I would try and find a budget Alienware with at least a Core2Duo Intel processor, and then add in your own ram and 9600GT...

And your done.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BoarBoar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seriously mate, build your own. Nowadays it's about as difficult as playing with lego and Alienware charge a massive premium for something you could easily do yourself.

Boar on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cyberpower.

Note that nobody here really knows about them, hence recommending alienware.

Cyberpower systems are actually pretty fairly priced(Considering parts and labour, its a very small premium). Throw some car paint on it and call it an alienware if you want. Quality wise, never had a problem with one of there computers(my dad always bought from them, except I forced him to self-build last time)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am not a fan of Alienware customer service.

I'm building my next rig, but have used Alienware computers for the past 7 years. The price you pay for the name is not nearly as bad now as it used to be, but let it be known that it is just ridiculous to not build your own or have a friend do it for you.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I cannot say it enough. Fuck Alienware.

They are by far the worst user experience I've ever had (right up there with Sony Vaio support) and I refuse to ever purchase anything from them ever again. From dicking me around for six months before my computer came in, to a purchase that only ended up lasting ONE YEAR before breaking down, then coupling all that with the most horrid customer service in my entire life.

Fraz, I don't know who told you they have a good user experience and support, but you've been lied to. Do as Spoit said and just buy a high end computer from Dell or Gateway. You will hate yourself a lot less in the morning.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dell has owned Alienware for almost a year now. Their site even uses the Dell templates. Supposedly, it has improved their supply chains, delivery times, and service / support. Personally, if it is only up to the Dell standard, I'd still stay away from them and build your own.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cyberpower is pretty reliable.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    stigweard wrote: »
    Dell has owned Alienware for almost a year now. Their site even uses the Dell templates. Supposedly, it has improved their supply chains, delivery times, and service / support. Personally, if it is only up to the Dell standard, I'd still stay away from them and build your own.
    Moving up to the "Dell standar" is like suggesting bollock cancer is an pgrade over lung cancer. Yeah, it is, but your still going to lose a bollock.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've bought a computer from iBuyPower (same parent company as CyberPowerPC) and got terrible, terrible service. (They held my computer when I sent it in for warranty service and demanded $1000. I threatened legal action.)

That said, Dell's service isn't that great either. If it's a desktop, build your own.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Have you checked out überclok pc's? Anandtech did a review on them, they seem to be very carefully built.

http://uberclok.com/

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    gneGne wrote: »
    Have you checked out überclok pc's? Anandtech did a review on them, they seem to be very carefully built.

http://uberclok.com/

http://uberclok.com/products.html

What a scientifically accurate chart!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Build it yourself. It isn't that hard.

The only other option I can recommend without grimacing is the HP-Voodoo beast-- Blackbird 002. If I had the disposable cash, I would buy one. It has one of the nicest cases I've ever had the chance of examining.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think you guys are wrong about Alienware.

You'll save a lot of money, and have a lot more fun, if you build it yourself.

Also, there are a few threads on these boards and tons of tutorials all over the internet that can help.

Fraz on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    xBocephussx, You might also consider a barebones system where you just add the memory, cpu graphics card.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cyberpower is the better choice of the two but building your own is the best idea.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, thanx guys!

xBocephussx on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seeing as you are posting on another thread about how the computer you now have is not working for you. And that soon this thread will either be locked or fall into obscurity in the bowels of the Tech boards, i still want to state my opinion.

Building your own is always better.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Agreed :D

xBocephussx on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Agreed :D

Good man... good man.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)