As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are their ever any chicks at these things?

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    Besides, do you really think that any single girl going to PAX isn't expecting to be hit on? Seriously. Think ahead, guys.

I've hired a temporary boyfriend for the event. Now that's thinking!

I thought that you hired a temporary girlfriend for it... :P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    Besides, do you really think that any single girl going to PAX isn't expecting to be hit on? Seriously. Think ahead, guys.

I've hired a temporary boyfriend for the event. Now that's thinking!

thats just hilarious.

Grath on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    I am a gamer girl (or geekette, or nerdess if you like) who lives in Sydney, Australia, and as luck would have it I'm going to Vancouver BC for a visit in late August. Now all my gamer friends in Sydney are encouraging me to go to PAX, particularly in the hope of winning the Omegathon. Unfortunately, I can only afford to Canada alone, and have to leave my beautiful geek boyfriend here in Sydney. None of my friends in Vancouver are geeks, so I'd have to go by myself.

I've never been to any gamer conventions before (being on the ass-end of the world, Australia doesn't get this kind of stuff).

As a female gamer by myself, I'm concerned I'm going to get hassled the whole time I'm there.

Then again, I guess if you're all looking at my boobs you won't notice the teal-coloured master-chief about to blow your head off.

Unknown User on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    Okay. Has anyone considered asking a girl along? Chances are, if you know any girl who is even remotely into games of any form, she'll be flattered that you even thought to ask.

Here. Here! Now, you're thinkin'! Asking along a girl who's interested in games to the biggest gaming convention in the world will definatly win points for you! Just positivly ACKNOLEDGING her interest would be so cool for her!

I makes me wish a guy friend had invited ME along. Ah, well. I'll be there on my own innitiative, and I'm proud of it!

Unknown User on
  • ShadowOfThrawnShadowOfThrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I am a gamer girl (or geekette, or nerdess if you like) who lives in Sydney, Australia, and as luck would have it I'm going to Vancouver BC for a visit in late August. Now all my gamer friends in Sydney are encouraging me to go to PAX, particularly in the hope of winning the Omegathon. Unfortunately, I can only afford to Canada alone, and have to leave my beautiful geek boyfriend here in Sydney. None of my friends in Vancouver are geeks, so I'd have to go by myself.

I've never been to any gamer conventions before (being on the ass-end of the world, Australia doesn't get this kind of stuff).

As a female gamer by myself, I'm concerned I'm going to get hassled the whole time I'm there.

Then again, I guess if you're all looking at my boobs you won't notice the teal-coloured master-chief about to blow your head off.

A fair concern, but I'd wager good money that there'll be more then a few chaps around who won't put up with little twits making too much of a nuisance hassling any female gamers around. Having a "kid-sister" has me well prepared for such events. (Of course at this point with her, she's quite capable of laying down her own physical vengeance of +5.)

ShadowOfThrawn on
    "A man that is willing to give up one of his freedoms to feel more secure, does not deserve the freedoms he has."
    - Thomas Jefferson
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2004
    Girls are nothing special. They're just targets on the playing field. Kill 'em all, I don't care. Just because they're girls doesn't mean they're worth more or less points. A kill is a kill.

I'm an equal opportunity fragger.

Red Machine D on
  • Optimus WangOptimus Wang Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    i'm so glad i'm a snob, so noone in their right minds would hit on me without feeling terribly inadequate.
    I'd ask you for a hug.

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    I'd be Optimus Wang, and come out with just a bathrobe on and drink maple syrup out of a coffee mug.
    ani-me.jpg
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2004
    i'm so glad i'm a snob, so noone in their right minds would hit on me without feeling terribly inadequate.
    I'd ask you for a hug.
    a hug?!

oh, ok. just no ass grab.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited July 2004

:roll:

Ego much?

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
    edited July 2004
    I'd ask you for a hug.
    a hug?!

oh, ok. just no ass grab.
    Whatever you say, babycakes.

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    I'd be Optimus Wang, and come out with just a bathrobe on and drink maple syrup out of a coffee mug.
    ani-me.jpg
    edited August 2004

Ego much?
    me? no. i'm just better than you.

and man, i'm kinda excited/nervous meetin all the peeps out there. yikes :)

MulysaSempronius on
    edited August 2004

Ego much?
    me? no. i'm just better than you.

and man, i'm kinda excited/nervous meetin all the peeps out there. yikes :)

Why do you think your better than me? Is it your ability to butcher the english language?

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
    edited August 2004
    SHE'S GOT LASERS!

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    ani-me.jpg
    edited August 2004
    SHE'S GOT LASERS!

If this were true she would have my utmost respect and admiration.

SuperFlyTNT on
    -Helem Boesch-
    edited August 2004
    It IS true.

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    ani-me.jpg
    edited August 2004
    It IS true.

I demand proof of laser eyes.

SuperFlyTNT on
    -Helem Boesch-
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    It IS true.

I've seen the whole setup and everything. It's pretty complicated.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004

My girlfriend and I and a few friends are going to be carpooling from Vancouver. You're welcome to come with us if you want, as I think we've got a space or two in the car right now. Right now it's me, my fiancee and one guy friend in my car, and another couple with another guy in the other car.

PM me if you're interested.

Ninto on
  • OknarkOknark Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I'll actually feel really bad if I do what I normally would when I see a cute girl at pax. I'd usually just go up and chat it up for a bit, but I have a feeling that if there are any cute girls at pax, they will get sick of having the billion people walk up to them, so ya.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
    edited August 2004
    Ninto wrote:

My girlfriend and I and a few friends are going to be carpooling from Vancouver. You're welcome to come with us if you want, as I think we've got a space or two in the car right now. Right now it's me, my fiancee and one guy friend in my car, and another couple with another guy in the other car.

PM me if you're interested.

good thing you offered, I would would have but a) it's not my car that's being driven. b) we have 4 people stuffed in a geo metro.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
    edited August 2004
    Jesus meat

SuperFlyTNT on
    -Helem Boesch-
  • Barenaked_EnidBarenaked_Enid Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Oknark wrote:

good thing you offered, I would would have but a) it's not my car that's being driven. b) we have 4 people stuffed in a geo metro.

....who's the fourth?

Barenaked_Enid on
    edited August 2004
    Oknark wrote:

....who's the fourth?

i thought we had four... well if you WANT four to be stuffed, make the offer.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • Barenaked_EnidBarenaked_Enid Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Oknark wrote:
    Oknark wrote:

....who's the fourth?

Only if she's hot. :lol:

Barenaked_Enid on
    edited August 2004
    Oknark wrote:
    Oknark wrote:

....who's the fourth?

Only if she's hot. :lol:

just for the record, enid IS a girl.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • AnakarisAnakaris Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    2 chicks at the same time....That's some hot action.

oh and for the record, no, I don't have a girlfriend but I know somebody who'd be mad if she heard me say that.

Anakaris on
    "There you happy! haha Fatty made a funny!"
    edited August 2004
    Anakaris wrote:
    2 chicks at the same time....That's some hot action.

oh and for the record, no, I don't have a girlfriend but I know somebody who'd be mad if she heard me say that.

:lol:

SuperFlyTNT on
    -Helem Boesch-
  • envieenvie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'll be at PAX with the rest of the girls on a Ubisoft-sponsored tournament team. Should be fun kicking some ass with a bunch of other cool gamers. I'm psyched to have an entire con population of PA fans. It will be like the E3 line x 10000 (approximately, based on data collected from no particular source of accurate information). *flomp*

Edit:

And games are not inherently sexist. I've played them since I was little with no complaint. I'd guess that the biggest reason the cheerleader types don't touch computers is because they're intimidated by the technology. I somehow doubt cheerleaders don't know how to use computers or play games because too many guys do.

Besides, I can't count how many times I've played games and been praised for how great I'm doing when I know perfectly well that I'm in the bottom 10% of all players stat-wise, and that my performance is laughable. Cute little cheerleader-types would only receive more praise and flattery by trying.

There are plenty of girls, myself included, who are perfectly comfortable playing with things as they are. It's no more sexist than hollywood movies that focus on characters that are more or less "perfect." Watering the entire industry down to try to attract women who aren't likely to respond anyway doesn't strike me as the best move.

envie on
    I am jack's sig.
    edited August 2004
    envie wrote:
    I'll be at PAX with the rest of the girls on a Ubisoft-sponsored tournament team.
    so all of the girls going to pax are on that team?

MulysaSempronius on
    edited August 2004
    lol, no.
    There's only 7 of us on the team. There will probably be hundreds of girls there (I don't know a girl gamer who wouldn't love to go to PAX). But all of the team members will be there.

envie on
    I am jack's sig.
  • TheresaTheresa Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey!

I'm one of the other sponsored girls on the team!. :) I'll be there. ^_^

Theresa on
    edited August 2004
    Woot! Heya eekers! :)

envie on
    I am jack's sig.
  • TheresaTheresa Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    HEHE HI!
    I'm pretty excited about going, been following PA comics for a while. :)

Theresa on
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm going and I'm not on the team :P XD But it will be cute to see a team of female gamers none-the-less. I shouldn't be that hard to find - considering that I'm making an outfit to attend PAX in.

By the looks of it, there's a fair amount of girls who will be attending PAX who aren't 'just being drug around by their boyfriends.' Granted, the ratio of boys to girls won't be even but I think there will be a fair enough mix of the genders.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
    edited August 2004
    I shouldn't be that hard to find - considering that I'm making an outfit to attend PAX in.

Does said outfit involve leather, latex, or a whip? Or all of the aforementioned items? :P

Anakaris on
    edited August 2004
    i'm being dragged by my bf. kicking and screaming

MulysaSempronius on
    edited August 2004
    Hey, you and my gf have something in common.

Anakaris on
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey guys, me and my girls will be there for the r63:ba tourny and are looking into the splinter cell and halo tourny's as well (we have to talk to our sponsor) But please, look for us and we would love to kick your butts on some games. As far as the stipluations on what "female" gamers usually look at, perhaps you should look at the clans out there.. for instance http://www.pmslcan.com. While the x7x (currently having the real name coming) is an assemblence of gamers from pc, ps2 and xbox formed to compete at tourneys, I also lead a clan of over 60 girl gamers at PMS. Most of our girls would not fit the sterotypes you presented so check it out and look for us at PAX!

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    lmao, i didnt even see that the other girls were here yet, hey ladies!!!! I should have known you would beat me here!

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
    edited August 2004
    x7x Athene wrote:
    for instance http://www.pmslcan.com. !
    didn't work and when i tries pmsclan instead, got:
    STOP!!!
    ... you have just had a head on collision with my firewall ...

Your IP has been logged, any future assault on this IP will result me contacting your ISP's abuse team to have your connection disabled.

THANKS!!! and have a nice day
    you guys scare me

MulysaSempronius on