As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTR] Lord of The Rings: Online Free Trials!

1585960616264»

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just started playing this in DX10. The performance is actually the best I've seen for a DX10 game, and the full dynamic shadows are totally worth what little performance hit I have to take.

It's a decision between having the 3D faces in the UI, or full shadows on the environment, and self-shadowing on all characters. Tough choice...

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Well damn. Guess I'm rolling Guardian for the trial then.

I was looking at some character screenshots on the LOTRO forums earlier, and found this guy's Dwarf Guardian:
    foot2.jpg
    foot.jpg

Would anyone happen to know what armor that is? It looks fantastic.

That would be the Guardian raiding set from 'The Rift', there isn't much of a choice when it comes to raiding gear since theres only two places to do them that I can think of. I think it should be put into the new OP that raiding in this game is -not- like WoW where you can just tap a button for most boss fights. A lot of the times the bosses will do things you might not expect, and everyone has to be on the ball with their classes job. A lot of the times, especially when fighting the dragon or balrog bosses... one mistake gets everyone crushed.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I took some screenshots in DX10 yesterday. Spoilered for h'scroll
    ScreenShot00016.jpg
    Notice the self-shadowing, particularly on his arm.
    ScreenShot00019.jpg

ScreenShot00012.jpg
    Pretty Water
    ScreenShot00004.jpg
    Here you can see some of the dynamic landscape shadowing. All of the leaves in the trees cast shadows which will fall on NPCs and PCs and move in the wind. It's a lot more impressive in motion than in a still picture.
    ScreenShot00003.jpg

ScreenShot00007.jpg

More pretty water. On the right in the second picture you can see the land falling off into the water before it fogs out of view.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cool pics. Still working on the OP. Main thing is to get the right screenshots for various parts. In particular the official class portraits are often very lame.

Also if anyone is into the music system and would like to do a quick write up, that would be awesome.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy shit, very nice screens... this game is making me install Vista 64-bit as soon as I work up the nerve. I gotta say that the water in LOTRO is probably the best I've ever seen in a game.

I can cover the music system.

Actually, I started to write it, but it's better you just link to this guide. It's got almost everything you need to know.

http://www.thebrasse.com/game-guides/4

Also, there's an ABC file repository at http://lotro-music.com/

And for those of you like myself who actually have real MIDI keyboards, this tool converts input from your keyboard to key presses. http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=50704

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, the plan is to have a 3 part OP.

First an intro to what LOTRO is about. It will inlcude things I think make LOTRO stand out, list of classes and races, list of regions in game with nice landscape screencaps.

Second a sort of faq or guide with more details info on PvMP, Crafting, Raiding, etc.

Third contact info for PAers in game. A list of guilds, info on the pennyarcade channel, etc. This last one is the whole reason I started this monster up and still not much info. Hint hint.

Anyway when I do start posting stuff, hopefully later today don't start posting until I have the top 3 posts reserved.

Oh, and veritas1, a nice blurb that I can put in the things that make LOTRO stand out section would still be nice to have.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    veritas1 wrote: »
    Holy shit, very nice screens... this game is making me install Vista 64-bit as soon as I work up the nerve.

If it helps any I've been running Vista 64 for about 3 weeks now and have had zero problems with it. It actually feels like it runs smoother than the standard Vista I have at the office, too.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm on Vista 32 and I've had no issues so far.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ds10fss.jpg

vs.

ScreenShot00003.jpg

It's getting there.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, new thread is up with my first page of OP in now. Working on the rest now.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the20eye20of20sauronwt5.jpg

Accualt on
This discussion has been closed.