As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VLC is being a fucking ass

ChenChen Registered User regular
So some asshole thought it would be a good idea to install VLC on my PC which changed all the file extensions to VLC media file. I've changed it all back with folder options, but since I mostly use Media Player Classic to open video files, I can't change that damn orange cone as icon if I set the file extension to open with MPC. It's driving me nuts. So, please, any way I can fix this? I beg of you.

V0Gug2h.png
Chen on

• bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why dont you just uninstall it?

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Open explorer - go to tools>folder options and the "File Types" tab.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doesn't work, because their programmers are fucking douches.

I am making progress. I've manually deleted everything with the name VLC, erasing that hideous orange cone, but files are now icon-less. Also, it still displays every video file with "VLC media file (.ext)". Audio files are back to normal thanks to Winamp on the other hand. I'd appreciate some advice on changing the video files back with minimal labor.

I did open folder options -> file types, but it's not helping changing back the icons. Well, unless I do it all manually with advanced settings, but fuck that.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You could always download CCCP and use it to register everything to Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic.

Dark Shroud on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I guess the opening post wasn't clear enough to explain the issue. I have no problem running the files with the desired player, it's that VLC changes the displayed names of file types directly via the folder options (AVI-file becomes VLC Media File (.avi)) and redirects the icons to its own directory.

Normally, it's possible to change all that by just going to a file's properties and change the progam to open the file with. The file type and icon will change as well. For some reason it's not possible with VLC which is complete bullshit. It's mere aesthetics, but still. Dicks.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Re-install mpc. It should re-make the icons and associations.

stigweard on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i dont want this to sound like im being an ass, i just want to make sure we've covered the simple steps before the bigger ones.

right click your video file go properties> opens with....change> click mpc.

all like associated file icons should change back, then yes VLC is being as ass. then you can try stigweard's advice

delphinus on
  • Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry this may be a little off topic but why the spite against VLC? I love the app and have never had any problems with it. Fill me in!

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bwah? wrote: »
    Sorry this may be a little off topic but why the spite against VLC? I love the app and have never had any problems with it. Fill me in!

While I can't speak for the rest of the people in this topic, personally I mostly dislike the fact that the GUI (or more specifically the search bar) clearly was developed by imps. Also, I wouldn't exactly use the word "fast" to describe how it handles HD content compared to most of the really good codecs out there.

Dírhael on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also that icon looks tupid, and it has a habit of forcing filetype recognition on files (like this instance, for example)

ben0207 on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dìrhael wrote: »

While I can't speak for the rest of the people in this topic, personally I mostly dislike the fact that the GUI (or more specifically the search bar) clearly was developed by imps.

RIGHT.
    Also, I wouldn't exactly use the word "fast" to describe how it handles HD content compared to most of the really good codecs out there.

WRONG.

In more than one way. VLC has to be one of the quickest, and most quality players I've used, dude.

Also, you don't seem to understand what a codec is.

Also, you don't seem to know what FFmpeg is.

That's kind of a bit of a problem, if you're going to make a statement like that.

As for another reason: I have to agree with the "VLC turns all my media files into traffic cones" complaint. Only part of the program I don't like. It's a ridiculous icon to give a video/audio file, and even more ridiculous to blanket the same icon over every media type, regardless of extension. Otherwise, it's excellent.

Recoil42 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Who looks at the UI anyway? It's no worse than MPC, and I just press F to go fullscreen anyway.

Echo on
    edited February 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »

While I can't speak for the rest of the people in this topic, personally I mostly dislike the fact that the GUI (or more specifically the search bar) clearly was developed by imps.

RIGHT.
    Also, I wouldn't exactly use the word "fast" to describe how it handles HD content compared to most of the really good codecs out there.

WRONG.

In more than one way. VLC has to be one of the quickest, and most quality players I've used, dude.

Also, you don't seem to understand what a codec is.

Also, you don't seem to know what FFmpeg is.

That's kind of a bit of a problem, if you're going to make a statement like that.

As for another reason: I have to agree with the "VLC turns all my media files into traffic cones" complaint. Only part of the program I don't like. It's a ridiculous icon to give a video/audio file, and even more ridiculous to blanket the same icon over every media type, regardless of extension. Otherwise, it's excellent.

Let me see if I understand you correctly; What you are saying is that because directshow codecs like CoreAVC is a whole lot faster with HD h264 content (measured in CPU usage) and the Nvidia Purevideo Decoder (not to be confused with the "purevideo" marketing slogan they're using with their video cards) is not only faster but offers better picture quality with DVD & other MPEG2 content than VLC ever did I don't know what a codec is?! Right...

Dírhael on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, what i've always found funny about VLC is that the user interface does look like the rear end of a donkey on windows. But on OS X it looks quite nice and fits in with everything else. So much so that VLC on my Macbook Pro is the default player for all video.

Still, generally VLC is a great video player. Fast, reliable and stable. (oh and doesn't eat up massive amounts of memory.. i'm looking at you quicktime, windows media player)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Who looks at the UI anyway? It's no worse than MPC, and I just press F to go fullscreen anyway.

For me, it's not really the look of the program that bothers me (except for the configuration dialog), but rather the slow response and odd behaviour of the slider bars compared to most other players I'm using. In the case of the volume slider it's not so bad, but the fact that there is the ever so slightly delay from when I click to set the volume and to the time when the operation actually gets carried out bothers me. The progress bar/slider on the other hand bothers me a whole lot more. It's like it doesn't actually care where you click on it, because it still doesn't take me exactly where I wanted it to jump to. I don't want it to start playing several frames ahead or behind where I clicked. It's better if you actually drag the handle compared to when you just click on the bar, but it still feels nowhere near as smooth as players like Zoom Player or Media Player Classic operates. It's not something that would bother everyone, but it bothers me. It doesn't matter at all if you're playing a complete movie from start to finish, but when jumping around in a clip trying to find the exact scene you were looking for...well, it just gets to me.

As for fullscreen playback, the lack of controls in this mode makes it feel like there's something missing. Again, it doesn't matter all that much if you're watching full movies from start to end but when skipping through something...

I still have the player installed though because it has a lot of really nice features, but it's not something that I use daily. I also really wish it would allow you to utilize DirectShow codecs should you wish to do so because even though it plays most content, it doesn't handle it all...

Dírhael on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The main problem with VLC's UI is that the sliders don't appear in full-screen when you move your mouse, unlike other media-players.

Someone's going to post now telling me that's an option somewhere.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The main problem with VLC's UI is that the sliders don't appear in full-screen when you move your mouse, unlike other media-players.

Someone's going to post now telling me that's an option somewhere.

There is an option for that, but I think it only does something in SVN builds. And it is technically a workaround, as the VLC guys (from what I have read) hope to have a proper full screen UI ready by 0.90. Someone just needs to work on it ;-)

Have any of you tried smplayer on Windows? It is a front-end for mplayer that I use in Linux, and mplayer has fantastic support for most formats, and it has a fullscreen UI. The author provides an installer for Windows that is packaged with mplayer, as well as a codec pack for some of the more esoteric stuff.

You can view a screenshot I took of it (the KDE "look") here. On Windows the widgets should look like a normal application for whichever version you're running.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

For me, it's not really the look of the program that bothers me (except for the configuration dialog), but rather the slow response and odd behaviour of the slider bars compared to most other players I'm using. In the case of the volume slider it's not so bad, but the fact that there is the ever so slightly delay from when I click to set the volume and to the time when the operation actually gets carried out bothers me. The progress bar/slider on the other hand bothers me a whole lot more. It's like it doesn't actually care where you click on it, because it still doesn't take me exactly where I wanted it to jump to. I don't want it to start playing several frames ahead or behind where I clicked. It's better if you actually drag the handle compared to when you just click on the bar, but it still feels nowhere near as smooth as players like Zoom Player or Media Player Classic operates. It's not something that would bother everyone, but it bothers me. It doesn't matter at all if you're playing a complete movie from start to finish, but when jumping around in a clip trying to find the exact scene you were looking for...well, it just gets to me.

I think this has something to do with Key Frames. As in, I'm pretty sure VLC just warps your slider to the nearest key frame from where you put it.

DekuStick on
    edited March 2008
    DekuStick wrote: »

I think this has something to do with Key Frames. As in, I'm pretty sure VLC just warps your slider to the nearest key frame from where you put it.

It's not just that though, because I know some of the videos I've compressed myself and tested with have a lot more keyframes than VLC will let me skip to.

Dírhael on