As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pennypacker founder is quiting. Will someone take over for him?

mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby.BaltimoreRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Social Entropy++
From Wednesday's comic:
ans wrote:
Hey guys. I am the creator of Pennypacker. Things seem to be getting a bit out of hand of late. I think this can be fixed though.

Requiring a username / email address before allowing people to tag and revoking tagging rights to those who have their tags consistently trashed may help somewhat. I will work to put these safeguards in place. It does kind of suck that we even need these, but hey, that's life.

From Friday's comic:
ans wrote:
Hey everyone, ans, creator of Pennypacker here again.

I'm afraid I've decided to discontinue this project. I thought this would be a useful and collaborative tool, and in many ways it has been, but the simple fact is certain users have insisted on making this difficult and I just don't have the time or energy to constantly keep one step ahead of them. I regret having to do this, but keeping this going costs me time and money in bandwidth and it just isn't worth it if these users are going to keep destroying everything I work towards.

I've discovered that the two biggest abusers are Yourhero88 and Ramsden, through the various user names they've created to defame each other. While the events of the past few days were by no means the efforts of these two alone, they were the biggest contributors to the problem.

If you have anything to say about the discontinuation of this project, I suggest you take it up with them.
ans wrote:
I think this thread is proof in and of itself why I don't want to continue working on this project.

Anyone who wants to try to continue the project is free to take up the reigns, but I'm deleting all the content on the server at 5 PM today. If you want to save all the tags, you should back up everything currently there and sort out all the bad stuff later.

Is there anyone out there who will step up and save the tags?

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
mentok1982 on

• DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What the hell is Pennypacker?

sarukun on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pennypacker is a firefox extension to search and tag penny arcade comics. That is what google says.

M.D. on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh it apparently has something to do with firefox
    pfft, like anyone uses that

ascot on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    never even heard of it

TheySlashThem on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Leanna uses Safari

NotASenator on
    edited February 2008
    Bah.

sarukun on
    edited February 2008
    I use Safari.

After I downloaded Firefox and spent an hour trying making it look/work like Safari I realised it wasn't really worth it

ascot on
  • CosmosWithCarlSaganCosmosWithCarlSagan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like Safari, but it messes up the Washington Post page sometimes.

CosmosWithCarlSagan on
    Wall-E
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't get why Penny-Arcade doesn't have an ohnorobot search engine like Achewood and Overcompensating

Centipede Damascus on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why are you guys talking about Safaris? No one goes on Safaris anymore unless they have a lot of money and they are not afraid to die of some obscure disease in Africa.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ascot wrote: »
    I use Safari.

After I downloaded Firefox and spent an hour trying making it look/work like Safari I realised it wasn't really worth it

Get Camino

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited February 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Why are you guys talking about Safaris? No one goes on Safaris anymore unless they have a lot of money and they are not afraid to die of some obscure disease in Africa.

When I was on Safari I shot an elephant in my pajamas.
    How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Centipede Damascus on
  • CosmosWithCarlSaganCosmosWithCarlSagan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Safari is a browser made by Apple.

CosmosWithCarlSagan on
    Wall-E
    edited February 2008

Safari is a browser made by Apple.

hahahahahaha, yes

NotASenator on
    edited February 2008
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I use Safari.

Get Camino

NO U!

ascot on
    edited February 2008
    I use Safari.

Get Camino

NO U!

Seriously, it's really nice

Imagine if Safari and Firefox had a baby

a sexy baby

That's Camino

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use Safari.

Get Camino

My stepdad used to drive an El Camino.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited February 2008
    Safari does me just fine.
    I only recently bothered installing an adblock, so I'm good.
    Camino is too busy looking.

ascot on
    edited February 2008
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I use Safari.

Get Camino

My stepdad used to drive an El Camino.

And I used to drive on El Camino

and I probably will again in the future!

what a crazy coincidence

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited February 2008
    Opera is better than both Firefox and Safari. I haven't tried Camino but I would bet that Opera is better than that too.

Centipede Damascus on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know that pennypacker has been explained but I didn't understand any of the words used to describe it.

Or the purpose for that matter.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    It was a firefox extension that let you easily search the Penny Arcade comic archive, seeing as the search implementation they've got sucks dirty balls

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Opera is better than both Firefox and Safari. I haven't tried Camino but I would bet that Opera is better than that too.

Opera is better than everything. One of three fully CSS2 standards-compliant browsers available.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

When I was on Safari I shot an elephant in my pajamas.
    How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

I love that joke, thanks Centi.

My morning, it has been made.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited February 2008

Opera is better than everything. One of three fully CSS2 standards-compliant browsers available.

your justification that it is better is because it has the same feature as two other browsers?

NotASenator on
    edited February 2008
    Everytime I see dudes talking about "oh, this is the best browser", I never, ever see anything in the way of "facts" that mean something to an average person.

sarukun on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

your justification that it is better is because it has the same feature as two other browsers?

Well the other two are built on the Konquerer rendering engine from Apple. And I'm childish enough to not like something because it comes from there.

I also like the built in e-mail / feed reading features which are nicer designed / implemented than ones I've seen for FF / IE / Safari, the download system is the best I've seen from any browser, mouse-gestures straight out of the box, really easy toolbar customisation, page feature blocking, a really useful zoom, widgets built-in, easy access to turn css on / off or use a custom stylesheet, and other stuff.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The attack of the crabs-Friday February 29th.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pennypacker let you easily search comic strips through user-posted tags, and you could also mark and save your favorites. Basically it let you search the PA archive with ease and was the best thing ever.

Was.

Strato on
    edited February 2008
    Is there an echo in here

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    this is a shame, I hate seeing a developer get soured on a project because a couple people are assholes.

so, hey, unrelated note - anyone know how to get a background color of a div object to change during a rollover?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    oh it apparently has something to do with firefox
    pfft, like anyone uses that
    why would anyone use gayfari

bongi on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use firefox

though in vista IE finally starts to be sort of good

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2008
    this is a shame, I hate seeing a developer get soured on a project because a couple people are assholes.

so, hey, unrelated note - anyone know how to get a background color of a div object to change during a rollover?

onMouseover = "this.style.background-color = '#FFFFFF';"

Something like that.

NotASenator on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Something like that.

If you need to change it back to the regular color, make sure you do OnMouseOut

Taken from here:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function changecolor(id, color) {
    element = document.getElementById(id);
    event.cancelBubble = true;
    oldcolor = element.currentStyle.background;
    element.style.background = color;
    }
    </script>

<div id="left1" onMouseOver="changecolor(this.id, '#0F0');" onMouseOut="changecolor(this.id, '#F00');">left1</div> 

JoeUser on
    edited February 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »

Something like that.

If you need to change it back to the regular color, make sure you do OnMouseOut

Taken from here:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function changecolor(id, color) {
    element = document.getElementById(id);
    event.cancelBubble = true;
    element.style.background = color;
    }
    </script>

<div id="left1" onMouseOver="changecolor(this.id, '#0F0');" onMouseOut="changecolor(this.id, '#F00');">left1</div> 

Why this?

Wouldn't oldcolor be destroyed when it goes out of scope?

NotASenator on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, looking at it now, that doesn't make much sense. Just much sure you have OnMouseOut to set the color back to whatever your default is.

In regards to Pennypacker, I think I remember the guys talking about it on the podcast when trying to find old comics. It's a shame if it goes away, but maybe they'll implement ohnorobot search, as someone else said.

JoeUser on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    fuck, so it is a java function, not a css deal

maaaaaaaaan

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png