As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forcing New People to Read the Rules

YakuzaYakuza I used to post on the PA boards 9 years ago. Now they kind of suck, so I don't. Registered User regular
Would this be impossible?

I've noticed a problem whereas new people join up and the first thing they do is create a thread telling all of SE++ about their stupid problems. We've had about a dozen or more this month. The specific problem would be neglecting rule #10: Thou shalt Lurk.

Well, these people do not. I hate to come off all bitchy, but I'm getting kind of sick of it.

Would it be possible to force people to read the rules before they can post? As in, there's a cookie, or something, that keeps track if they've had their browser open on the Rules Sticky for a good 15 minutes before they're allowed to post? And if they STILL posted their stupid shit, they could, you know, be banned forever? Or perhaps a pop-up as soon as they log in for the first time?

Its just an idea, and seeing as how I have no coding experience whatsoever I have no clue as to the amount of effort that would be required to do this. I just thought its something that could benefit everyone.

I used to have a series of animated gifs as my sig, depicting various bouncing breasts of both real and anime manufacture. That was in 2003/04 though. Ah, well.
Yakuza on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, I read the thread that "inspired" this post, and it was better than any that I've seen you make. Shut up.

Tube on
  • Options
    YakuzaYakuza I used to post on the PA boards 9 years ago. Now they kind of suck, so I don't. Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Really? fair enough, I guess.

Yakuza on
    I used to have a series of animated gifs as my sig, depicting various bouncing breasts of both real and anime manufacture. That was in 2003/04 though. Ah, well.
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Well that went better than I expected...

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Well, I'd still like to know if the idea is even plausible or not.

Yakuza on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    It's not.

Tube on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2004
    Fuck, I didn't read the rules threads when I joined.

Of course, I forgot that I even joined and didn't actually start posting until about seven months later.

But still, I haven't spent 15 minutes on one rule thread. Probably not even all of them combined.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    I read the rules, but didn't lurk.

I didn't start posting as soon as I started reading PA, but I started posting as soon as I started reading the forums.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    It's not.

Damn. Dissapointing, but whatever.
    TDL wrote:
    I read the rules, but didn't lurk.

I didn't start posting as soon as I started reading PA, but I started posting as soon as I started reading the forums.

But at least you read them, and that's commendable.

Yakuza on
  • Options
    ExoVarkExoVark Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I keep seeing this brought up every once in a while, and to date, every single proposed solution to the problem has sucked ass.

ExoVark on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Flaming and locks seem to work fairly well.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    KivaKiva Registered User new member
    edited August 2004
    EDIT: Because I realize that this sound a fury really is signifying nothing.

Kiva on
    Good news, everyone.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    It's not.
    You are a goddamn liar CT.

Check out the suprnova.rog forums

<.<

>.>

When you first join up, you can only post (and see) in "Newbie Central" and cannot make new threads. There are three threads, and one stickied rules/what the fuck is going on here thread.

Anyway, the first thread is for "Hi I'm new", the second thread is "What are you listening to" and the last one is "Have you read the rules, bitches?" or some shit.

Once you've made three posts, you get let out of newbie central and may roam free.

Something like that is obviously doable, though may require a fair bit of doing.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I have been talking with deni about a system that will accomplish this. Once we finalize it (and all the other proposed systems) either deni or myself will show off our ideas, and get some community input before we take the ideas to development.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Keith wrote:
    Fuck, I didn't read the rules threads when I joined.

Of course, I forgot that I even joined and didn't actually start posting until about seven months later.

But still, I haven't spent 15 minutes on one rule thread. Probably not even all of them combined.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I don't care if it's possible, it's fucking stupid. If a single one of you spent fifteen minutes carefully perusing the rules thread you need to get out of the house more.

Tube on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I don't care if it's possible, it's fucking stupid. If a single one of you spent fifteen minutes carefully perusing the rules thread you need to get out of the house more.

I concur. Consider this, reading the rules will take your average person about 5 minutes tops. Then they're stuck in one shitty fucking thread they can't post in for 10 more minutes. It's basically quarantining new people for being new, even if they're a perfect fit in whatever part of the forum they want to post in. I'd say a simple page with all the rules on it, with a button at the end saying "I have read and understand the preceeding rules and the consequences of breaking them." would be better. Hell, make every forumer go through that page, and then no one at all can complain about how they got jailed/banned/kicked in the ass for breaking a rule, since they'll obviously be able to remember the rules, and control their urge to make completely stupid topics that break the rules.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    meddleRPImeddleRPI Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Just make it so that when they click the activation link, it redirects to the RULES thread, and from there, puts a timeout on clicking anywhere else on the forums for two minutes.

meddleRPI on
  • Options
    FeintFeint Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    God I hate new people. It's not like they're even human or anything.

Feint on
    fixedsig.gif
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I have been talking with deni about a system that will accomplish this. Once we finalize it (and all the other proposed systems) either deni or myself will show off our ideas, and get some community input before we take the ideas to development.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Would you like me to start calling your idea stupid in advance? You know, spread it out.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.