As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pennypacker founder is quiting. Will someone take over for him?

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The whole thing was a hoax.
    Uhhh, OK -- that "ans" before isn't me. There's an issue with the username system where you can add a space before or after and mimic another user. Sorry for the scare -- Pennypacker isn't going anywhere!

I am going to get this thread closed.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still think it's kind of ridiculous that it takes a third party program to make Penny Arcade into a decent website.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Uhhh, OK -- that "ans" before isn't me. There's an issue with the username system where you can add a space before or after and mimic another user. Sorry for the scare -- Pennypacker isn't going anywhere!

or die trying

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2008
    Tossrock wrote: »

or die trying

If you say my birthday wish out loud, does it still come true?

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    fuck, so it is a java function, not a css deal

maaaaaaaaan

Oh, I guess I'm more used to using scripting for that sort of thing, but there is a :hover CSS item.

So you could do something like
    #magicDiv:hover {
        background-color: red
    }

JoeUser on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bogdanich wrote: »
    Kamino.jpg

I just want to say this is the kind of joke I enjoy
    Because I'm a bad person

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I still think it's kind of ridiculous that it takes a third party program to make Penny Arcade into a decent website.
    What are you doing?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »

maaaaaaaaan

Oh, I guess I'm more used to using scripting for that sort of thing, but there is a :hover CSS item.

}

I think the hover function only works on a link. I tried applying that and it only changed the background immediately behind the link text itself, not to the entire link.

The problem is that the div itself is in a repeating region, so to give it an ID I'd have to name it dynamically, which means the call itself would have to call the dynamic name, which argh there's gotta be a cleaner way of doing this.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

maaaaaaaaan

}

I think the hover function only works on a link. I tried applying that and it only changed the background immediately behind the link text itself, not to the entire link.

The problem is that the div itself is in a repeating region, so to give it an ID I'd have to name it dynamically, which means the call itself would have to call the dynamic name, which argh there's gotta be a cleaner way of doing this.

Yeah, Internet Explorer (at least version 6) only recognizes :hover on links, which sucks. I've seen some workarounds, but they involve using JavaScript to mess around with the classes, so the simple JavaScript solution would probably be the best bet.

Are you trying to avoid using JavaScript at all?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the only exposure I've had to Opera is the Wii browser and it's pretty crap so

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008

maaaaaaaaan

}

Yeah, Internet Explorer (at least version 6) only recognizes :hover on links, which sucks. I've seen some workarounds, but they involve using JavaScript to mess around with the classes, so the simple JavaScript solution would probably be the best bet.

no, just trying to avoid using a dynamic name call for the rollover effect.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

maaaaaaaaan

}

Does this work?
      <div style="background-color:#DEB887"
        OnMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#9D4602'"
        OnMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#DEB887'">
        dgjhfgdf
       </div>

JoeUser on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Larlar wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »

or die trying

If you say my birthday wish out loud, does it still come true?

i've been so patient

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

maaaaaaaaan

}

Does this work?
      <div style="background-color:#DEB887"
        OnMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#9D4602'"
        OnMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#DEB887'">
        dgjhfgdf
       </div>

I've already got a call for an imageswap/restore on the OnMouseOver and OnMouseOut events, as well as an OnClick URL call on the div. Is there a way to add a second function call to the same event?

right now, the code for the div looks like this:
    <div onclick="MM_goToURL('parent','/Support/Video/Watch.asp?ID={ID}');return document.MM_returnValue" onmouseover="MM_swapImage('img_MediaGallery_th','','/Images/video/{Thumbnail}',1)" onmouseout="MM_swapImgRestore()" spry:repeat="xrs_Video"><a href="../Support/Video/Default.asp"></a>
    <li><a href="/Support/Video/Watch.asp?ID={ID}">{LinkTitle}</a></li>
    </div>

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

so try Opera for your computer, it is the best thing

if it doesn't work for you, you can uninstall it!

win/win

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've already got a call for an imageswap/restore on the OnMouseOver and OnMouseOut events, as well as an OnClick URL call on the div. Is there a way to add a second function call to the same event?

right now, the code for the div looks like this:
    <div onclick="MM_goToURL('parent','/Support/Video/Watch.asp?ID={ID}');return document.MM_returnValue" onmouseover="MM_swapImage('img_MediaGallery_th','','/Images/video/{Thumbnail}',1)" onmouseout="MM_swapImgRestore()" spry:repeat="xrs_Video"><a href="../Support/Video/Default.asp"></a>
    <li><a href="/Support/Video/Watch.asp?ID={ID}">{LinkTitle}</a></li>
    </div>

You can call multiple functions in the event handler if they are separated by semicolons like so:

onclick="doSomeFunction('blah', 'blah'); doSomeOtherFunction(1, 2, 3);"

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    niiiice. I'll try that monday.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ProcrastinatorProcrastinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

This.

Also, TDOT, wii code? Plz thx?

Procrastinator on
    plan.jpg
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have been almost completely unimpressed by IEn, where n is whatever the highest Internet Explorer has gotten up to.

They seem to be pretty consistently seven or eight years behind the curve on features.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    they've made some decent strides in 7, finally adopting most css standards, from what I can tell, but yeah, it's a giant pain in the ass for anyone trying to design for the web

I hate learning all this css shit. I mean, it's neat, and damn handy from a maintenance point of view, but I'm a designer, not a coder, so my brain doesn't like to work like that, and I'm learning it all as I go. A huge learning curve just to get my job done.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    we're rebuilding our company's entire site from the ground up, adopting css compliance standards a lot more and getting away from a lot of the programming design ethics we had before, as I was literally learning web layout for the first time as I went. The last site was a gigantic jumbled mess of nested tables within nested tables. It looks nice, but search engines and indexing services have one hell of a time working through it all. This time around, we're using a lot more functionality built into the div/css method, and using some of the really cool Spry features in Dreamweaver CS3, and using more client-side services (based on historical browsing records) to make the site look and run a hell of a lot faster and smoother.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MKR wrote: »

Yes, because google recognises the context of jokes and text in images. That is oh so helpful.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

Yes, because google recognises the context of jokes and text in images. That is oh so helpful.

I haven't had any trouble pasting lines from comics in and getting the comic I was looking for.

MKR on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm gonna give Opera a shot, but unless it can suck my dick and tie my shoes, I'll end up sticking with Firefox.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Opera can handle five dicks, and use its tounge to tie your shoes. At the same time.

MKR on
  • Options
    hpjchobbeshpjchobbes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone know if any browser supports auto text scrolling. I don't mean clicking the middle mouse button and using the mouse to scroll, but to hit a key and have the page scroll on it's own. Possibly with some other keys that adjust the speed. I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have to do with the middle mouse button scroll.

hpjchobbes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah well it looks like shit.
    And does what Firefox does.
    Give me an advantage to Opera.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Being able to minimize tabs is pretty handy. I could go and type up a comparison, but the only way to decide whether or not it's for you is to try it for a while. And if you don't try it, there's nothing wrong with FF. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You can have 9 Speed Dial things!
    Or I can drag the tabs up to my favorites bar in Firefox and keep a shitload more handy.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I switched to Opera for a while today. I always used to think it's messy, but now I really like it. It's damn fast.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Yeah well it looks like shit.
    And does what Firefox does.
    Give me an advantage to Opera.

set up some RSS feeds, all you need to do is click on the RSS icon on the right side of the address bar for any site with an RSS feed

set up your email on it, my gmail automatically shows up as an alert in my browser when I have new mail

download some torrents, it has a built-in torrent client that makes things really easy

try out some skins, there are a lot of neat skins people have made for it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is definitely the most boring thread I've ever read through on SE++.

I use firefox. It goes to the websites whose urls I type. Woohoo!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    we're rebuilding our company's entire site from the ground up, adopting css compliance standards a lot more and getting away from a lot of the programming design ethics we had before, as I was literally learning web layout for the first time as I went. The last site was a gigantic jumbled mess of nested tables within nested tables. It looks nice, but search engines and indexing services have one hell of a time working through it all. This time around, we're using a lot more functionality built into the div/css method, and using some of the really cool Spry features in Dreamweaver CS3, and using more client-side services (based on historical browsing records) to make the site look and run a hell of a lot faster and smoother.

Moving from nice, nested tables to CSS is hella painful the first time, but it works out for the best once you get all the div manipulation down.

Junpei on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I don't use torrents
    Or RSS
    And I check my email like once a week because I could really care less.

Sticking with Firefox.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    why don't you use RSS?

why the hell wouldn't you use RSS?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Camino looks kinda nice actually. But I think I'll wait for it to be a little more mainstream, let them work all the bugs out and stuff.

Orestes on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Safari is probably my least favourite browser.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RSS sounds like a lot of trouble, bro

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love Opera because when I'm browsing, I tend to go back, and Opera makes that quick and easy.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are