As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    wasn't there an internet meme related to that Sonic picture? With the crazy-eyes?

Page 39.

hahahahaha.. that's awesome.

:^: thanks for telling me the page.

slash000 on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Jandaru wrote: »
    sonic3dblasttitlecompargj4.gif
    LMAO

NOT a photoshop.

Is there something wrong with me if I don't see anything weird about this picture? So Sonic's looking at the camera instead of straight ahead, big deal.

While it would not be incorrect with humans to do the eyes like that, with a cartoon character with huge eyes the pupils should not be that seperated. It would have worked better if the right eye was slightly to the right of the final, but not the dramatic to the right of the prototype.

Yeah, it's like an optical illusion now. Sometimes it looks goofy, and then it'll slip back to being ok. Like an almost convincing knockoff of the real Sonic.

Unlike Knuckles here, who looks really messed up:
    knucklesdumbaw7rc1.gif

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Never really bought into the whole Uni-Eye thing.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    warmepwarmep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Arikado wrote: »

Why not?
    googly eyes?
    sonicgooglyeyesko8.gif

Fascinating stuff coming from all these protos. Keep it comin'! :^:

warmep on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes I have the most horrible dreams. Or maybe they are real. Do dead men dream?
  • Options
    warmepwarmep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cokomon wrote: »
    There are currently exactly 2 sonic fan games worth playing: Sonic Metrixx and Sonic Retro.

I am curious about these, but Google returns nothing.

Project Mettrix

Retro Sonic

warmep on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes I have the most horrible dreams. Or maybe they are real. Do dead men dream?
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    warmep wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »

Why not?
    googly eyes?
    sonicgooglyeyesko8.gif

Fascinating stuff coming from all these protos. Keep it comin'! :^:

What the hell is the explanation for his arse changing colour?!?!?

LewieP on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sixfortyfive, I just checked out the posts you made on Phantasy Star 4 here. It made me appreciate the final translation more than I already do. :^:

Henroid on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    warmep wrote: »
    Cokomon wrote: »
    There are currently exactly 2 sonic fan games worth playing: Sonic Metrixx and Sonic Retro.

I am curious about these, but Google returns nothing.

Project Mettrix

Retro Sonic

Sonic GL would have rocked all.

You know ... if it was finished.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It looks like all the holiday DLC for Sonic Adventure is in SADX, and they added missions to each holiday download... but they're all fucked up and don't make sense.

mission5dp7.png
    "Mission 01 - 3 daasu ojisan o manhole e otose" -> "Mission 01 - drop the old man in the manhole 3 dozen times"

WTF?

mission2az2.png
    "Mission 02 - It's Mission 02"

Completion of mission 02 yields

mission4rg3.png
    "Mission 61 - Mission clear!!"

there is a menu in debug mode which shows a bunch of flags for missions, but they never change or update.

missionwj5.png
    Mission flags on the left side of the screen.

How odd.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dropping old men in man holes...

THAT IS AWESOME!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Evil JimEvil Jim Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Silvanos wrote: »
    Skiing in Starseige Tribes.

THIS

Evil Jim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Welp, here we go:

easymenumt0.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Super...sonic the hedgehog?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't know what "Mode" and "Event" do exactly, but I predict that they are a key to hilarity when used in the wrong stages.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    SonicTweakerSonicTweaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SADX actually is built off of a prototype copy of Sonic Adventure.
    Completely wrong. It was built off the final build--all this stuff was left in the final Dreamcast game, and was thusly carried over. Which I suppose makes it more interesting, but I'd still appreciate you not pull stuff out of your ass like that. ;)

SonicTweaker on
    tweakersigsonic3sf.png
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    The Quake series has it's own little set of things that I've always found interesting.

For instance, both rocket jumping and strafe jumping were bugs in Q1. Rocket jumping was discovered by the devs and they left it in, while bunny hopping and strafe jumping didn't appear until later, when determined players figured them out.

I love how the Tribes Developers made Skiing out to be something that belongs in Tribes 2/Vengeance.

That was an exploit turned game mechanic just like rocket jumping and bunny hopping.

This reminds me:

I'm a huge fighting game buff. If you are too, you might be interested to know that combos, as we know them, did not exist in the original Street Figher 2 (World Warriors). rather, they were an accidental glitch that affected only Guile. He could do really stupidly good shit, like canceling medium and fierce attacks into themselves, among numerous other things. Combos were only formally introduced in later versions by Capcom, and loosely applied to all characters, when they realized how cool they were. (this is why, if you find you self playing the 10th anniversary edition of SF2, World Warrior version guile is actually a pretty good choice; as he retains much of his messed-up-ness)

As a rule of thumb, glitches that add to the fun of a game are just as likely to be formally reintroduced as a "gameplay feature" as they are to be removed. Consider how critical wavedashing became to Smash, or how critical the "kara cancel" (where you cancel a move into a throw to dramatically improve the range of the throw) became to competitive play in Street Fighter 3.

Oh, and you want to see another neat Fighting game glitch? First found in Street Fighter Alpha 3, was the "Kattobi Cancel." basically, if you cancel a move that give's you special momentum properties into a custom-combo state, you retain your momentum during the first couple seconds of the combo. this results in wacky shit like characters getting "super jumps" and being able to fly across the screen in odd ways. In fact, the kattobi cancel actually had practical value for certain characters in Alpha 3; for instance, zangief, for instance, could use his kattobi cancel to get right next to the enemy from across the screen with relative ease. The Kattobi resurfaced in Capcom vs. SNK 2, although it lacked any sort of practical value in gameplay, as grapplers sucked in CvS2.

here's a video/analysis of CvS2 specific kattobi cancels: http://sonichurricane.com/media/cvs2kattobi.html
    (The effect of the Kattobi cancel is most overtly noticeable with the second combo, where Dhaslim is able to float across the screen in a decidedly abnormal way)

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Completely wrong. It was built off the final build--all this stuff was left in the final Dreamcast game, and was thusly carried over. Which I suppose makes it more interesting, but I'd still appreciate you not pull stuff out of your ass like that. ;)

I'm not "pulling stuff" out of my ass. What I said is consitent with the conversation in retro's SADX proto discussion topic, particularly iceman's post (#88) and biggestsonicfan's post (#97).

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And While I'm talking about capcom games, could talk a bit about one of my favorite series: Resident Evil.

A few bits from here and there that I've picked up from speedruns over the years. some of this I figured out on my own, some I learned from others. there may be spoilers, so read at your own discretion:

RE2:

This is just a tidbit, really: you know the very first licker you encounter in the A scenario? Well, in the RE2 demo, the little cinematic that plays when you encounter it wasn't finished, and so wasn't included. So, when you got to that point, the bastard just dropped from the ceiling, with no real forewarning. It was one of my first experiences with Resident Evil, and it was in many ways scarier than most of the actual "scares" in the game. (although I guess the evidence room scare was basically the same thing, but with a mirror.)

RE3:

Nemesis is left handed. that is to say, he always does his grab move with his sleeveless arm. You can exploit this in a number of ways, from flanking him in open areas for an easy kill, to simply using it to get the hell away from him.

Upgraded handgun bullets force a running nemesis into his walking frames. This makes the handgun with enhanced ammo one of the best weapons in the game for fighting/evading the bastard.

By contrast, enhanced shotgun ammo sucks. It barely does more damage, and it cuts your rate of fire in half. Standard shotgun shells already kill most things in the game with 1-2 hits, so this is very unnecessary.

RE: Code Veronica:

By far the easiest game in the series. You get tons of ammo throughout the game, and furthermore, the knife has all sorts of wonky hit-detection, which means that if you slash at certain enemies, the game will register multiple knife hits. That's right, you can slash a prone zombie / dog / crouching hunter and get like 8 knife hits with one slash.

Furthermore, You have to be careful, though, because Claire and Chris slash at different speeds. Claire slashes just fast enough to be able to take out zombies with 3 standing slashes most of the time, whereas Chris can pretty much kill anything short of a bandersnatch or a spider with his slash rate. Honestly, you can usually shoot a hunter once with the shotgun once most of the time, and be able to finish it off with the knife before it gets back up.

Additionally, in a odd departure to every other RE game to date, you can actually mash out of zombie grabs without taking any damage whatsoever. Like I said, easiest game in the series. (this aspect seems to been returned in RE4, where you can do the same thing to the ganados, particularly on normal difficulty.)

As for the BOW rounds you find only 3 of in the middle of the game, you can get them from the slot machine in the battle game if you're playing as Alt. Claire. It's been a long time, but I recall that you could kill the tyrant boss of the battle game with like just 6 shots from it. They're not really that useful, though.

While we're on the topic of the battle game, you know those two gold pistols Steve gets? if you focus fire on a zombie, you can use them to get shot-gun style kills (in the same way, too: tap up and shoot). It's not very useful when you have the machine guns, but it's there. You can equip the pair you use as keys in the main game, but you never find ammo for them, so...

RE Remake:

I can't think of that many glitches/exploits, really. I do know that almost both Chris and Jill run faster if they don't have a weapon equipped/ are equipped with the knife. Chris already runs noticeably faster than Jill, so you can see how useful this is for speedruns.

Oh, and if you use Chris's grenade ability on a enemy, and leave the room before it detonates, when you return to the room, the enemy will be gone, as you killed it normally with the grenade. For the curious, If you use Chris's grenade ability on the tyrant during the final fight, he just drops the grenade, instead of shoving it in the tyrant's face. It explodes, and distracts the monster.

After some experimenting, I've found that the magnum's decapitation rate is not any better than the shotgun's: you'll get headshots about only 50% of the time. In fact, the shotgun is consistently a better choice for headshotting zombies, not only because it's ammo appears more frequently, but because the shotgun doesn't always kill zombies in one hit, giving you another chance to get the headshot (the magnum almost always is one shot, one kill.)

As for zombies versus crimson heads: zombies can bust through doors, Crimsons cannot. Furthermore, Crimsons don't actually get up unless you walk near them. They're surprisingly vulnerable during their "getting up" frames, which you can (and should) exploit if you have the shotgun on your person.

Hunters can also burst though doors, although it only happens in a couple spots in the entire game, one of which you have almost no reason to revisit.

You can recover daggers from decapitated enemies. Common knowledge, or so I thought, until some people told me they didn't know about it until recently.

RE4:
    Again, as in REmake, you run faster with no weapon equipped / a grenade equipped. Use this as you see fit.

The Cumillos (plaga-infected wolves) cannot attack you unless they are standing right in front of you. They lack an attack animation for attacking Leon from the rear, and thus, if you don't let them stand in front of you for more than a few seconds, they can never attack you. This is very useful in the hedge maze, as you might imagine.

Spider-plagas (the kind that detach) have the lowest hp value in the game. They seem to have an animation problem similar to the cumillos mentioned above, because I rarely ever get hit by their attack.

You get money as pickups from enemies if you're low on cash. If you have lots of money, you'll get ammo far more commonly. Regardless of how much money you have, you only get ammo for weapon you own. this is important to keep in mind in no merchant runs.

On a similar note, for whatever reason, random ammo pickups for the mine thrower rarely appear. If you buy the gun as soon as possible, you might get one or two pickups over the course of the game. I don't know if this is an oversight or whatever, but it does dramatically reduce the usefulness of the gun.

You can kill regenerators simply by shooting them a whole lot. Their HP values do not "regenerate" as their name implies; rather, they just have really high HP values. Same goes for Iron Maidens.

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nemesis is left handed. that is to say, he always does his grab move with his sleeveless arm. You can exploit this in a number of ways, from flanking him in open areas for an easy kill, to simply using it to get the hell away from him.

The Tyrant and Mr. X both had this problem as well; in particular, it's much more difficult to beat the mutated Mr. X without exploiting this gap in his offense. IIRC, both of these were lefties as well.
    Spider-plagas (the kind that detach) have the lowest hp value in the game. They seem to have an animation problem similar to the cumillos mentioned above, because I rarely ever get hit by their attack.

And when they're still on the ganado's head, they can only attack you from the front. If you face away from them, they can't attack you at all. I forget if the same applies once they're separated from the host's body.

Also, the spider plagas, once separated from the body, will eventually die on their own. The only exceptions are the ones in the tomb with the boobytrapped ceiling, between the double-Salvador room and the mine cart ride.
    You get money as pickups from enemies if you're low on cash. If you have lots of money, you'll get ammo far more commonly. Regardless of how much money you have, you only get ammo for weapon you own. this is important to keep in mind in no merchant runs.

On a similar note, for whatever reason, random ammo pickups for the mine thrower rarely appear. If you buy the gun as soon as possible, you might get one or two pickups over the course of the game. I don't know if this is an oversight or whatever, but it does dramatically reduce the usefulness of the gun.

The bolded part isn't exactly true. Handgun ammo is the most common item drop regardless of what weapon you have on you, even if you don't have a handgun at all, although it's more common if you do have one. Shotgun shells will also appear without a shotgun in your inventory, but they're not as common as handgun ammo. IIRC, TMP ammo will also rarely appear randomly if you don't have the TMP, and green herbs are more likely to drop from enemies if you're severely wounded.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm not "pulling stuff" out of my ass. What I said is consitent with the conversation in retro's SADX proto discussion topic, particularly iceman's post (#88) and biggestsonicfan's post (#97).

I can't believe someone thought you just pulled sonic stuff out of your ass

Sonictweaker :roll:

ronzo on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's not enough room for two Sonic fans on the internet

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Here, here. This is not something we can't settle with a pair of shotguns but we have to be quick before anybody gets caught by the police. Or the party van.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's not enough room for two Sonic fans on the internet

Sometimes I wish this was true

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    ElKaboomElKaboom Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Reading this all in one night has shined a whole new light on the video game industry for me. Christ, I don't even know where to begin on how I've been enlightened, but I will mention that coming into this playing little Sonic in my life and practically hating the character and its games based on this small amount of time (and the terrible games they've been making lately) has completely changed my outlook on Sonic. I'm almost inclined to main him in Brawl for such reasons.

I just thought I'd thank you for the insight into all this, even if I did just happen to stumble upon it.

ElKaboom on
  • Options
    SonicTweakerSonicTweaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

All those imply is that SADX was ported from the original source code--which it was. Debug tools are something that, with certain macros in the source, you can turn on or off on compile. This generally bumps down the size of the executable, and prevents anyone from finding the debug tools if you don't want them to. It's a very common practice.

Also fu guys :(

SonicTweaker on
    tweakersigsonic3sf.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There can be only one.

It's like Highlander. But for Sonic nerds.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nerd fight

Impersonator on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    my money's on tweaker

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well either way anything that thins their numbers can only be a good thing right? :P

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was gonna get involved but then I remembered I had popcorn in the cupboard and no will to bicker today.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    exist wrote: »
    my money's on tweaker

Don't underestimate TSR, he's a vet

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't know, guys, TSR might have some trouble countering claims of build flags without some hard evidence that might require original research, disassembly, and string comparisons. Then again, he could have an ace up his sleeve in the form os screenshots or removed content proving his beta-as-basis theory. Or if all other options are exhausted, he could come in and play the Tube offense. It hits hard without the research but if he pushes too hard, he runs the risk of infraction overload or jailing.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    POPCORN! GET YA POPCORN HERE! POPCORN, PEANUTS, BEER AND MORE! ALL RIGHT HERE!

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'll take one, please :winky:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I'll take one, please :winky:
    That is a mis-use of Winky! Very bad.

So, umm... anybody got any Mario stuff?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

If you time the jump right at the end of level 2-3 (is that the right one, I am saying this from memory) on Lost Levels on Mario All-stars, you can actually jump over the flag.

After it is the same scrolling background forever, until you get time out.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

If you time the jump right at the end of level 2-3 (is that the right one, I am saying this from memory) on Lost Levels on Mario All-stars, you can actually jump over the flag.

After it is the same scrolling background forever, until you get time out.

I mentioned this before, but just for you...

nes-mario.jpg
    The bushes in Mario Bros were just recolored clouds.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know, for its time, I could let re-colored clouds pass off for bushes considering how awesome SMB was.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    The colors of the pipes in Marioworld are not determined by the designers. Merely by which 'screen' they are in.

WORLD ASPLODE

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Super Mario 64 DS contains about as much of a nod toward a famous glitch as I've ever seen in a Nintendo product.

In Super Mario 64 DS, you could escape the invisible walls in the outdoor castle area while flying by exploiting a glitch in the physics. If you grabbed the wing cap and flew at the corner over the lake, you'd hit a sloped invisible wall. Carefully angling Mario so that you see the sliding animation "dust", you begin to build momentum without actually moving much or losing altitude. Must be some sort of glitch between the wing cap physics and the sliding character physics. Anyway, you build momentum and work your way to the ceiling of the level. Once there, the corner has a little flaw in it to the left, so you hit left and bam, you've broken out of the level.

Here's the neat part though: fly out and around the back of the castle. Land on the black platform behind the door to the castle. Right there on the floor is a painting type portal that takes you inside of the castle. By putting this here, the game prevents you from exiting the castle while technically still outside, an action that was a popular glitch in the original Mario 64. The portal cannot be accessed any other way than by this elaborate glitch they couldn't have foreseen. They threw in reinforcements to stop a glitch that, as far as they knew, only existed in the original game they remade. I don't know, it seems like a nod at glitch finders to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

A video of all this:
    http://zacks.selfip.net/files/brod-ds.mov

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg