As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best 24" LCD monitor for computer gaming? GO!

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
I was tossing around the idea of getting a 30", but that's a bit much. What's the best multimedia LCD monitor at 24"s for computer gaming and DVD playback?

EDIT: No TVs. Computer monitors.

Esh on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How much are you lookin' to spend?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8423958&productCategoryId=abcat0101001&type=product&tab=2&id=1181832388333#productdetail
    is $599 (add to your cart) and that's a pretty damn good deal for a really good 720p 26" Samsung.

I also have a 10% off coupon, but I'm not sure if I can share it or not.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8423958&productCategoryId=abcat0101001&type=product&tab=2&id=1181832388333#productdetail
    is $599 (add to your cart) and that's a pretty damn good deal for a really good 720p 26" Samsung.

I'm more looking for a monitor, not a TV.

Esh on
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dell just updated their 24 incher, the 2408WFP, its pretty beastly

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bbmartini wrote: »
    Dell just updated their 24 incher, the 2408WFP, its pretty beastly

Sold!

Esh on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Esh wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm more looking for a monitor, not a TV.

Whoops, sorry. I see the words "monitor" get thrown around a lot.

urahonky on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am going to second the Dell 240X monitors. I have had my 2405 for several years now and love it to death. The pixel response time may not be the best in the entire world, at least on paper, but the contrast ratio and awesome, and the color detail is bar-none. The only time I ever noticed any ghosting was when I was watching a florescent lit sporting event though the component inputs. Even than, it was not much.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    BenQ FPW241W after sept 07 build date
    or
    Dell 2407 rev A04

2408 unproven yet

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got a VP930b from Viewsonic, but that is only 21''. I came on here to mainly say that you should check out http://www.tomshardware.com before you buy a monitor. I never realized how often the listed specs on a monitor lie. For example, a lot of companies judge response time using a black and white test screen which sometimes is 4 times slower than color. Check out their summaries or at least look at a review of the monitor you want to make sure that it really performs how you want.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Another vote for the Dell 24x Series.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got a Samsung 226BW 22" monitor for $250.

You might not be able to, but I have and it is fucking awesome, ;3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a Dell 2405 hooked up to my iMac at home... I have had it for almost 3 years.

It is still fucking brilliant.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got the Gateway 22" and it works awesomely, they also have it in 24" form. It also has your component/composite inputs but it is most definitely a monitor. I've personally not had a single problem with it, so I'll recommend it.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to #th the dell, I'm using a 1905 and I'm not noticing that much difference with the 16ms refresh compared to my other monitors 5ms refresh, so the newer ones shouldn't be a problem at all

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    If you can afford the dell, buy the dell.

To those recommending Samsung monitors: Be careful. Most of Samsung's current LCD panel lineups are subject to the 'panel lottery', because Samsung branded LCDs don't necessarily have a TFT panel manufactured by Samsung. The 226CW is the only one that I'm aware of that is guaranteed to get a Samsung panel, but that could change at any time.

The other panels range from "Really close to good enough as a Samsung" to "Complete fucking shit", s oyou need to look out. Unfortunately the only way to find out which panel you're getting is after you buy it, so it's recommended to just avoid samsung all together.

Dell's monitors have, in the past, also had a panel lottery, but between Dell-manufactured TN and S-IPS panels. This isn't as big of a deal, because TN's are actually better for gaming (faster response time), while S-IPS have more accurate color reproduction.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd say TN's are shittier than PVA or IPS for anything because of the poor viewing angles and picture quality in many regards.

response times once you're under 16 just doesnt matter to the vast majority of people. maybe if you're a pro CS gamer, it'd make a difference.

Dell's 24" are PVA, for that matter

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    If you can afford the dell, buy the dell.

To those recommending Samsung monitors: Be careful. Most of Samsung's current LCD panel lineups are subject to the 'panel lottery', because Samsung branded LCDs don't necessarily have a TFT panel manufactured by Samsung. The 226CW is the only one that I'm aware of that is guaranteed to get a Samsung panel, but that could change at any time.

Actually, the 245BW does have a Samsung panel. Atleast, none have shown up without one yet. Also with the 2232BW it's the same at the moment.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I'd say TN's are shittier than PVA or IPS for anything because of the poor viewing angles and picture quality in many regards.

response times once you're under 16 just doesnt matter to the vast majority of people. maybe if you're a pro CS gamer, it'd make a difference.

Dell's 24" are PVA, for that matter

I'd say that too, but some people really just prefer to get that low response time. And if you're only going to use your LCD for PC gaming, it's not really like viewing angle matters. Personally, I watch more video on my PC than anything else, so picture quality and color reproduction is a hell of a lot more important.

And yeah, but some of the old ones were S-IPS. There's a Wikipedia article on which Dell monitors use which potential panel(s)

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I bought a Dell 2405 back when it first came out and the Indian reps were cutting crazy-ass deals on them. I think it cost me about $900 shipped at a time when the display retail cost about $1200 and Apple's 23-inch cost $1999.

I still love it to death, although these days I do drool a little bit over the 30-inchers. Not sure I'm ready to shell out $1400-$2000 for one though.

rufo on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone know a good Canadian site that sells BenQ FPW241W, I got a new computer a month back and I actually did get this monitor, so awesome right? Yeah well when I got it the screen was partly smashed in, judging from the box something hard hit the bottom and punched it hard enough upward to break the damn thing. The only site I found is selling ones that were returned or fixed and I don't particularly trust those.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i think they're close to being discontinued if not already. Don't take that to mean they're inferior to something new - cuz BenQ has pushed out newer 24" - but they're TN and crap.

NCIX had em... you could try memoryexpress.com or some of the other smaller web stores that might have leftover stock.

you want one with a build date of sept 07 or later so you can turn off overscan.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    i think they're close to being discontinued if not already. Don't take that to mean they're inferior to something new - cuz BenQ has pushed out newer 24" - but they're TN and crap.

NCIX had em... you could try memoryexpress.com or some of the other smaller web stores that might have leftover stock.

you want one with a build date of sept 07 or later so you can turn off overscan.

Yes NCIX has them but they're open box, ones that were returned or fixed and I can't find myself trusting those. Looks like I had bought one of the last ones at the time, I've tried memoryexpress and other sites listed on the BenQ site but none of them had one.

I know about them being discontinued, it's why they're so hard to find. A pity since they appear to be one of the best possible monitors out there and it's not easy to find one that matches it.

Cade on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have the S-PVA BenQ 241FPWZ, and love it. I have my PS3 and my 360 hooked up to it through its vga and HDMI ports, and my monitor through its DVI. I can tilt the entire thing to 90 degrees when I'm working on photoshop or reading comic books online, and it's got a fantastic viewing angle. I really can't think of any *problems* with the thing, aside from being a little fuzzy with the 360s output, although if you run it at 1:1 pixel mapping it will look fine, albeit while creating a black border around the screen.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    WZ is MVA or something, better variant of S-PVA

black border is the overscan crap fixed in the W's

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wouldn't recommend the Samsung 24'' (245b) if you plan to connect a XBox 360 and want to use 1080p + the digital signal. The picture is riddled with black lines. The Xbox Dashboard also spits out the error message that this display isn't compatible with 50Hz - which confuses me a bit, because I thought the refresh rate doesn't matter while outputting a digital signal.

I assume the screen tries converts the signal to something it can display, because other resolutions work fine, but it fails at the high 1080 res. It looks very good in 720p, although I get a few rough edges due scaling, or the low resolution.

I already tried different cables (I have to use an HDMi to DVI cable) with the same result. I would like to try the VGA cable. But before spending more money I rather ask you if 1080p over VGA is supported? The "back of the box says" 720p max, but apparently 1080p was added to the XBox's feature set after an update.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gargoyles, awesome.

That out of the way I got to ask does anyone know how the BenQ FP241VW 24IN stacks up as a gaming monitor? I know some do not like the look but overall it seems to have much of the same qualities as the BenQ FPW241W did.

Any negatives, pluses or whatever info someone might have would be helpful.

Cade on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the Samsung 24'' (245b) if you plan to connect a XBox 360 and want to use 1080p + the digital signal. The picture is riddled with black lines. The Xbox Dashboard also spits out the error message that this display isn't compatible with 50Hz - which confuses me a bit, because I thought the refresh rate doesn't matter while outputting a digital signal.

I assume the screen tries converts the signal to something it can display, because other resolutions work fine, but it fails at the high 1080 res. It looks very good in 720p, although I get a few rough edges due scaling, or the low resolution.

I already tried different cables (I have to use an HDMi to DVI cable) with the same result. I would like to try the VGA cable. But before spending more money I rather ask you if 1080p over VGA is supported? The "back of the box says" 720p max, but apparently 1080p was added to the XBox's feature set after an update.

Yeah, I'm using an Xbox with a vga cable to output - although it doesn't seem to give me a proper 1080p signal - looks more like 1680 X 1050 I think.

Brolo on