As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RWZ was easier on your computer than Grandville? Why would that be?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Graphically, there's not as much going on in RWZ. It's just another bunch of warehouses and street trash.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, the map geometry and buildings of RWZ are much simpler than all the crazy multistory, multilayered stuff going on in Grandville.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    RWZ was easier on your computer than Grandville? Why would that be?

Grandville has a shit tonne more polygons, and all those networks of tunnels under it. Its the laggiest, most graphics intensive zone in either game.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited March 2008
    Hrm. Guess my RAM-less computer can handle the RWZ then. Good to know.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would like to take a moment to give a good laugh at those people who carefully set up their attacks and sigh when knockback screws it all up.

Last night was that great of a night.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread made me realize how little I had explored Grandville. I had never really even explored the fab or the tunnels running underneath. I wonder if there are things like that in other CoV zones I don't know about..or in RWZ.

Gear Girl on
    edited March 2008
    The Pylons kind of put a damper on exploring the RWZ much if you're not a melee type with a lot of HP.

There are some cool zone sections that almost never get visited, largely because there's no reason to visit them. How many people even know about Dark Waters in Brickstown? Or visit the Wolfs Throat in Striga outside of the mission that sends you there.

Corvus on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    This thread made me realize how little I had explored Grandville. I had never really even explored the fab or the tunnels running underneath. I wonder if there are things like that in other CoV zones I don't know about..or in RWZ.

I didn't know about the Crey/Arachnos facility to the north in Grandville until Scoot was talking about farming Paragon Protectors.

Pb on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arg.

I want to make a Fire/Dark corruptor.

On Virtue.

Every single conceivable name has been taken.

Dartboy on
    edited March 2008
    The Heat of the Night

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited March 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Arg.

On Virtue.

Names not based on your powers are generally way easier to get. Also, go with creative mispelling, or foreign languages.

Corvus on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Impure Flame was a name I used on a Fire/Dark Corr. I've deleted him though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Arg.

On Virtue.

Names not based on your powers are generally way easier to get. Also, go with creative mispelling, or foreign languages.

Foreign is a good way to add character flavor as well. I have my Columbian La Espina (The Thorn, plant dom) and someone else has La Fievre or some such.

Scooter on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What is this Dark Waters in Brickstown you speak of?

Accualt on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Arg.

On Virtue.

Foreign is a good way to add character flavor as well. I have my Columbian La Espina (The Thorn, plant dom) and someone else has La Fievre or some such.

Go with OH GOD I AM ON FIRE AND ITS DARK

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I used Extermino for my fire/dark corruptor before I deleted him.

Lep on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was hoping that maybe someone had a link to a good guide, or maybe just some good info, on a dual blades/willpower scrapper? Already checked the official forums and paragonwiki and they had some ok information but nothing quite as informative as I need. I've been following this so far because it looked to be pretty reasonable out of the other builds posted there. A point that my friend made was that this build is pretty insane for not picking up stamina earlier than the 40's, but I can't figure out how to fit it in. I was thinking of putting off the 22-26 powers to get it, but I lack the experience to know if that is madness or even if sta is *that* important. THough it seems to me that it is since I go through end like water right now and I'm only level 7.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited March 2008
    WP doesn't need stamina. I've skipped it on my Tank and Brute, both in their 20s, and they seem fine. It has a built-in stamina that you wouldn't have yet at 7.

Scooter on
    edited March 2008
    That build is crazy. Two end reducers in you toggles and Strength of Will is overkill. Your attacks will eat more endurance than your toggles. The resistance from High Pain Tolerance is not very high. So those three slots are better used somewhere else. Your toggles should be three res/def/heal and one end reducer. Your attacks should have three damage, one accuracy, and one end reducer. Recharge if you can afford the slots. You'll be depending on hasten if you can't. Resurgence should only be picked if you don't have anything else to pick or it's your level 49 power choice. If you do want to have stamina on top of quick recovery you can start on the fitness pool in the mid 20s and get stamina in the mid 30s.

EDIT: Well it's not your build, but it's still crazy. Burn that page from your mind. Taunt isn't a scrapper power anyways. Confront is and it's weaker than taunt and should only be taken if you are on shitty teams a lot or for concept.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    That build is crazy. Two end reducers in you toggles and Strength of Will is overkill. Your attacks will eat more endurance than your toggles. The resistance from High Pain Tolerance is not very high. So those three slots are better used somewhere else. Your toggles should be three res/def/heal and one end reducer. Your attacks should have three damage, one accuracy, and one end reducer. Recharge if you can afford the slots. You'll be depending on hasten if you can't. Resurgence should only be picked if you don't have anything else to pick or it's your level 49 power choice. If you do want to have stamina on top of quick recovery you can start on the fitness pool in the mid 20s and get stamina in the mid 30s.

EDIT: Well it's not your build, but it's still crazy. Burn that page from your mind. Taunt isn't a scrapper power anyways. Confront is and it's weaker than taunt and should only be taken if you are on shitty teams a lot or for concept.

So then would you recommend dropping the end reducers from the toggles, as well as those extra slots and adding them to the damage abilities?

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Arkady wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »

So then would you recommend dropping the end reducers from the toggles, as well as those extra slots and adding them to the damage abilities?

Pretty much. That's like 8 slots that you can use elsewhere.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2008
    BTW, jerks grabbed a clipped pic of Hero 1's Rikti face. Linked for teh huge.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1892/screenshot2008030222440ip3.jpg

Scooter on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Poor guy. :(

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    WP doesn't need stamina. I've skipped it on my Tank and Brute, both in their 20s, and they seem fine. It has a built-in stamina that you wouldn't have yet at 7.

WP can do with Stamina depending on the Build. My Stone/WP Brute definitely did not have enough end to go around with just Quick Recovery. That said, Quick Recovery is actually a bigger endurance boost than Stamina.

Corvus on
  • MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm having a bit of a problem with the updater : /

I played CoX for a couple weeks up on my college campus and it ran just fine, then canceled my subscription and such and uninstalled due to lack funds at the time ;) But recently I had an urge to play, so I reinstalled the game, tried to launch the game again, but this time the updater gets stuck on "requesting patch" for freaking ever. The thing is, nothing has changed since the last time I played it. I'm using the same Wi-Fi connection as before, but the updater is just having serious problems attempting to download a patch.

I checked the tech support on the CoX site and made sure that all the ports that needed to be open were open so my firewall wouldn't block anything, but still nothing. Occasionally it'll start to download a patch, but then where it displays the amount of time it'll take to download the patch at it's current rate, it'll range from 350 to 560+ hours o.O Even then it's only gotten that far 3 times out of the dozens of attampts I've made to get the updater to work. I've disconnected and then reconnected numerous times, restarted my comp, all that jazz, no improvements :(

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Morithain wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of a problem with the updater : /

I played CoX for a couple weeks up on my college campus and it ran just fine, then canceled my subscription and such and uninstalled due to lack funds at the time ;) But recently I had an urge to play, so I reinstalled the game, tried to launch the game again, but this time the updater gets stuck on "requesting patch" for freaking ever. The thing is, nothing has changed since the last time I played it. I'm using the same Wi-Fi connection as before, but the updater is just having serious problems attempting to download a patch.

I checked the tech support on the CoX site and made sure that all the ports that needed to be open were open so my firewall wouldn't block anything, but still nothing. Occasionally it'll start to download a patch, but then where it displays the amount of time it'll take to download the patch at it's current rate, it'll range from 350 to 560+ hours o.O Even then it's only gotten that far 3 times out of the dozens of attampts I've made to get the updater to work. I've disconnected and then reconnected numerous times, restarted my comp, all that jazz, no improvements :(

Any ideas what might be the problem?

I don't really know what to tell you but check these threads I guess.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8946236&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1&nt=4

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3760966&an=0&page=0#Post3760966

Gear Girl on
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the help everyone, I made a bunch of adjustments and am a good bit happier with the build now. I was able to get all the offensive powers up to 6 slots. The only question I had left really was what to do with my last 4 power slots. I was thinking strength of will, resurgence, assault and tactics, but those just seemed to be the least useless options.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Strength of Will and 3 powers out of an Epic pool.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    So there's still no visual customization whatsoever of your powers?

I remember wanting to do a desert-themed guy and getting pissed when my wind power had goddamn snowflakes in it.

Echo on
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As of right now, no. With CoX staff getting a +boost, its possible we could be getting it.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Possible in an "almost certainly not" way. You can pick weapons though.

Scooter on
    edited March 2008
    Lepwave wrote: »
    As of right now, no. With CoX staff getting a +boost, its possible we could be getting it.

CoX will never have full power customization. At least not with out a total engine rebuild.

According to the devs its not possible to do with the way the engine handles the powers. You would need a new power for every possible option.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited March 2008
    Lepwave wrote: »

CoX will never have full power customization. At least not with out a total engine rebuild.

According to the devs its not possible to do with the way the engine handles the powers. You would need a new power for every possible option.

And it would be a maintenance nightmare to keep every version of a power updated to the same stats. Apparently even the 6 different sprints are a big headache for them.

Scooter on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm having a great time with my new archery/ice blaster. Archery's an awesome set; fast recharges times, not end intensive, and super accurate. Explosive arrow is a goddamn kick in the pants, too (totally slotting that sucker for knockback), and I've read that Rain of Arrows is fuckawesome. I'm having a lot more fun than I have with my sonic/eng, who feels a lot more generic.

Also, I've never really understood the customizable power thing. Presumably adding a few new colors on a lot of the powersets and letting you choose between them at character creation wouldn't be that hard (after all, they did it all over the place in CoV.) But then, I'm not a developer.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited March 2008
    Its possible in a "CoH 2" kind of way. Back Alley Brawler outright said this weekend that power customization would require a sequel level of work to do. While it would certainly be cool to have, I'm not sure it actually adds much value to the game. I imagine it might be a nightmare in PvP too, if people start throwing purple ice, or blue fire, or pink dark blasts.

Among other things, he said this:
    Actually, the time required to implement it stays exactly the same. There's will eventually be more people available to actually do that work but that still doesn't mean it's the best investment of resources. Where as it was completely impossible before, and may be possible now, it's still not a given that it's the best thing for the game.

I'd also have to refute the claims that this is the most often requested feature. It's not. It's high up there, but there are still a half dozen things that are suggested quite a bit more and would actually have more of an impact on the game.

Corvus on
  • A3gisA3gis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On the subject of the wedding... I hope people used lots of confetti at the wedding.. it sure is overabundant in-game =P

anecDOHteLO.jpg

A3gis on
    edited March 2008
    Must've been on a terrible team.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • A3gisA3gis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    probably :)

A3gis on
    edited March 2008
    Its possible in a "CoH 2" kind of way. Back Alley Brawler outright said this weekend that power customization would require a sequel level of work to do.

See Champions Online. :D

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
This discussion has been closed.