As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

La Grand Retour (big download+nsfw)

LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
Thread NSFW

I'm neither dead nor dying (sorry to disappoint) but after being a little burned out this past fall (I blame stupid commission work), I'm getting back into gear. Been frequenting CA a lot lately but I figured I'd come back to my art forum roots and dump all over you guys, with the usual critique du jour, verbal abuse served cold on a hot plate. If that made any kind of sense.

Anyway, you know who I be, here's some art.

Amaterasu, the sun goddess
chow_105_lalilulelo551.jpg
The least successful of them all I think...
chow_106_lalilulelo660.jpg
chow_107_lalilulelo858.jpg

I could have done some more work on the coral on this one, but I was rushing.

cow_109_lalilulelo750.jpg

The challenge was 'hot male vampire,' to which I rolled my eyes out of my head, and cursed the name of Anne Rice and all her ilk. To make it kind of fun, I made a self portrait out of it, because I have at least as much vanity as every other artist out there. Sigh.

chow_108_lalilulelo732.jpg

And the next three are from a 'seasons' project I just started for fun, still haven't done Fall/Autumn

springfinal916.jpg
winterfinal752.jpg
summer_final785.jpg

Lalilulelo on

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    lookin' good, mang

might wanna tag it nsfw though

Projeck on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not much to dislike here.....fookin love the steampunk bird.

Mustang on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    You painting has gotten much more solid, its nice. I think the steam punk bird is awesome because you really went in and made some hard edges.

Iruka on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You get better every time you come out of hiding. I gotta say though, all of these pieces are really busy; I think some simplification could help you.

Tam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Lookin' good, definite signs of improvement across the board.

However (and you knew there was gonna be a however) you still haven't nipped some of the issues that you've been railed on about before, and since it's been awhile I'd figure I'd do yet another paintover to get on your case about it yet again. You know I think I do more paintovers on your stuff than other people's because it always just so damn close to being so damn awesome but it's always missing just that one little thing. That little thing, in this case, is tonal contrast.

I went with this one because it's hot and I like it. I like the idea, I like the composition, I like the figure. Nice stuff. What I don't like is how flat it is when you look at the tone.
    laligirl.jpg
    Look at the 2 greyscale images here: these are the two versions when stripped of saturation. In the original you can see that the form is getting lost, and everything starts to kind of blend together into a grey mass. In the second I've made an effort to make sure that the forms still read without color. (not as perfectly as I would like, mind you, but hopefully it's good enough to serve as a decent example). It feels like you get so caught up with all the finicky details in the leaves and tattoos and feathers and all the shit you stop thinking about how to organize the space visually through contrast, making the finished piece lack the kind of three-dimensionality and drama it feels like you're shooting for.

Now, on the other hand, you could go the complete other way with it- pull an Alphonse Mucha and make it all about 2-d design and detail by going for a more overt stylization. That would work too, probably, but being stuck in the middle between those two poles doesn't seem to be as successful as a full-on commitment to one or the other would be, or at least currently it doesn't.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I agree, your value composition seems to be the weakest link at the moment in your work.

Another amazing critique AoB. Well done man.

rts on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks a lot Bacon. I salute you. I seriously needed that.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was going to say too much saturation, but contrast is really where the problem is, and a change in contrast will likely help tone down the saturation. If a lot of saturation is a stylistic choice, I think it could be better implemented to be more aesthetic, because it's not enjoyable for me in these cases. A good implementation of saturation would be Iruka's work, which is why I love her stuff so often. Perhaps a change in contrast in hand with the heightened saturation will work, I don't know. Bacon definitely toned down the saturation, though. You also don't have well-blended strokes and shading, but it might have to do with the speed with which you completed some of these. I don't know...I feel like some of the brushes you choose to use make certain lines and such more accented as being totally different from the rest of the piece. Not all of it flows together and works in unison. An exception to this is the steampunk robot, which is very well-rendered.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's Le grand retour not la grande. Nice art by the way! :P

Hub on