As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless tattoo

DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User regular
I didn't see this posted anywhere, but it looks awesome.

http://www.physorg.com/news122819670.html

I seriously want to use one like pictochat :lol:

Devnoimag on

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy freakn crap the future is here! Want!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    In all seriousness, the medical applications are immense. It can screen your glucose and oxygen levels. It wouldn't be a stretch for similar technology to check your pulse, blood pressure, ect.

Heck, think of the military applications. A way to triangulate the location of all your soldiers on the battlefield AND read their vital statistics in real time.

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Devnoimag wrote: »
    In all seriousness, the medical applications are immense. It can screen your glucose and oxygen levels. It wouldn't be a stretch for similar technology to check your pulse, blood pressure, ect.

Heck, think of the military applications. A way to triangulate the location of all your soldiers on the battlefield AND read their vital statistics in real time.

You know, pulse, blood pressure etc can all be measured by very non-intrusive means right.

Rook on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love the ads on that page. It's like Google thinks the article is fake.
    Run Your Car on Hydrogen? - Double Your Car's Gas Mileage Using Water! Now on SALE - Only $49
    SuperFuelEngine.vip-offers.info

Drive your car with water - Simple home made gaget that works! Amazing discovery that saves power
    waterdriven.com

"Use Water For Fuel" - Avoid Rising Gas Costs! Safely Run Your Car On Water - Only $49.00
    RunYourCarWithWater.com/WaterFuel

(Also, the end of the article says it is just a concept)

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    True, there are less intrusive manners of monitering health. I'd imagine both methods would have pros and cons. Getting your vitals instantly whenever you pushed a button would be handy, especially with certain medical conditions. On the other hand, some of the comments on the article bring up the amount of radiation it would put off, and the possibility of malign tumors. Either way, stuff like this just gets my imagination flowing. It's an interesting concept.

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Looks painful and silly. Plus you'd have all sorts of ethical issues ever getting it licensed because you can check all that sort of stuff in established, non-invasive ways.

Also, you'd feel silly when everyone else has updated, vastly better versions and you're stuck with some crappy old version which you can't removed without surgery.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Funny, just the other week I was thinking of implantable flash chips and other ICs. This would make for a fantastic interface to my body-embedded iPod. And, nobody could gank it from me.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    There are plenty of considerably less intrusive ways to measure various vital signs and gather other information. Those ways are tried and true, but god damn it this is The Future.

For the diabetic who has to check their sugar multiple times per day it sure would be nice to just take a look at a small patch on their skin, as opposed to having to prick themselves and draw blood for a meter.

Einhander on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know I don't want the screen I just want the blood fuel cell, scaled up and attached internally so I can charge my laptop from my body. And, I presume, lose weight while doing it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I think that the scant amount of electricity you would be able to harness from your body would be nowhere near what you would need to charge a laptop.

Einhander on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2008
    If you are fat, and then lose a bunch of weight... does it hang with the skin, or stay fixed in its sub-dermal place?

Something tells me that the issues something tied to your blood supply will have with aging and sagging are going to be MUCH WORSE than standard tattoo issues.

I still want one. The fact that it is bluetooth means the possibilities are endless. Dead pixels will suck, though.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yotes wrote: »
    Funny, just the other week I was thinking of implantable flash chips and other ICs. This would make for a fantastic interface to my body-embedded iPod. And, nobody could gank it from me.

Unless they cut off your arm. Anyone see that movie Demolition Man? Of course you have, because it was cool.

This technology, assuming it is viable and the screen has a high enough refresh rate, (What the hell is the refresh rate of skin?) would really become a problem when people start hacking tattoos. (First step towards Ghost in the Shell)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    (What the hell is the refresh rate of skin?)
    The same as glass.

Bama on
  • Options
    RendonRendon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Einhander wrote: »

For the diabetic who has to check their sugar multiple times per day it sure would be nice to just take a look at a small patch on their skin, as opposed to having to prick themselves and draw blood for a meter.

This already exists. My wife uses it today. And it requires no surgery.
    http://www.minimed.com/products/insulinpumps/components/cgm.html

Rendon on
    Cheese is great.